The free Golf V5 now turns into money pit

Vince70

1 minute ago, Spurious said:

Engine sounds fine to me. I've never heard a V5 but I don't feel like anything I'm hearing is terrible. 

Thanks for putting my mind at rest as I wasn’t sure if it sounded okay.

The next job to do is the plugs but a mechanic mate my brother knows has been under the cover to change a sensor and  snapped the cover around the clips so I’ve got to try to repair it or find another but being an early V5 I think that might be hard to find so hopefully Poundland two pack will repair it.

Black, Black.. like the stormtroopers uniform!

Should be ok, looks to have been caught in time, interesting to see the subsequent flush or two of it. Foot on the braketo start is  normal on  a VaG auto.(and in general ) The interior looks a damn sight better too.

15 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Black, Black.. like the stormtroopers uniform!

Should be ok, looks to have been caught in time, interesting to see the subsequent flush or two of it. Foot on the braketo start is  normal on  a VaG auto.(and in general ) The interior looks a damn sight better too.

Thanks I will be doing another oil change in about a 200 miles time but it will be sometime before I get to that mileage due to tax and insurance but  I’ve got to admit I’m pleasantly surprised how it’s coming along and even the seat bolsters are wear free.

I might try and refurb the wheels myself as they’re not badly chipped up but have quite a bit of corrosion due to the brake dust eating into the lacquer and I think a small wire wheel on a drill should clean them up nice.

Also I’m going to put some seafoam in the fuel system  just to help clean the injectors.

Yep that’s the standard VAG cruise control stalk - a useful option for long journeys on flat, fast roads.

I would run the new oil and filter for 500 miles on some good long high speed runs before changing - that gives the additives time to tackle sludge and gunge. You can of course change earlier but I would argue it’s a waste as a well as a pain in the arse.

15 minutes ago, Dj_efk said:

Yep that’s the standard VAG cruise control stalk - a useful option for long journeys on flat, fast roads.

I would run the new oil and filter for 500 miles on some good long high speed runs before changing - that gives the additives time to tackle sludge and gunge. You can of course change earlier but I would argue it’s a waste as a well as a pain in the arse.

Thanks I will as  my insurance runs out in May so when I come to renew it I will put it on my multicar and tax it and run it for a month to get the mileage  up and MOT it at the same time.

Spurred on with the success of my E36 going straight through its MOT I decided to book the old golf in for an MOT and see how bad the fail sheet should be for next Thursday.

The guy who fitted the tyres yesterday said it had some play in the ball joints and I know the wiper blades no longer have any rubber attached but hopefully should arrive by Thursday morning.
And I still can’t work out why my pictures are upside down but I guess I can at least look underneath lol.

EA396C99-E357-4348-8C0E-7EE512904B9E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Vince70 said:

Spurred on with the success of my E36 going straight through its MOT I decided to book the old golf in for an MOT and see how bad the fail sheet should be for next Thursday.

The guy who fitted the tyres yesterday said it had some play in the ball joints and I know the wiper blades no longer have any rubber attached but hopefully should arrive by Thursday morning.
And I still can’t work out why my pictures are upside down but I guess I can at least look underneath lol.

EA396C99-E357-4348-8C0E-7EE512904B9E.jpeg

The new tyres are certainly grippy!

I gave the seats another go today with some free Halfords upholstery cleaner (had a £5 free voucher) and it’s come up a treat inside and I also drained a bit of oil out the car as I put about half a litre too much in.

When I started it was making a little noise which I think maybe is coming from the  timing chain so that could be expensive I imagine but will ask the garage when it goes in for its mot on Thursday what they think as there’s nothing that they can’t take on.

Also I had quite a bit of mayonnaise on the filler cap today but I’m hoping that’s due to it being standing but I’m sure my sister in law said it overheated and she was driving around with it like that.

Obviously I don’t want to keep throwing money at it but I can’t see it bridged so if it’s going to cost a kings ransom then it might have to be a garden ornament for awhile till I save up.

I’ve just driven the car to the MOT station I’ve got to admit it’s growing on me as it seems to be self repairing on its 25 mile drive.

The ABS turned itself off for some unbeknown reason and the engine is now sounding lovely again and it’s quite economical as it has bags of torque so you rarely go over 3000rpm

I didn’t know how the work the heater though as it has  all that computer stuff on it lol.

So what’s it going to fail on I’m going ball joints or ARB bushes as it makes a clonk over the potholes lol

But whatever it needs it’s going to get done and it will get another well deserved oil change when it’s MOTed.

E18D57B3-F0EE-4EF2-9946-3E65B0ABB9B5.jpeg

It’s a pass for the Golf so I had nothing to worry about in the end and the ABS light has decided to stay off so I think it’s my Dads way of saying keep the car also I think it’s only done a 1000 or  something miles since the last ticket.

So I didn’t have to worry in the end although I noticed on the way back the temperature gauge went down to quarter on the journey home when I put the air conditioning on but not sure that’s normal  so I’m wondering if I should throw a thermostat in it.

It was a bit more juicy on the journey back but I think that’s more to do with using kick down to listen to the glorious 5 pot soundtrack and it felt better than ever and not a rattle or clonk from the old girl.

Next it’s getting a set of plugs next week and another oil change plus a new aerial base although the stereo sounds fantastic through the VW speakers.

And after all that and I go to use my BMW and the battery is flat as I knocked the interior light switch the other day when cleaning it lol.

Although it was neglected I don’t think my sister in law goes over 30 mph so I guess that’s what’s saved the  old car.

2 minutes ago, spartacus said:

Result on the pass! The temp gauge shouldn't move really once it's up to temp, it does sound like it needs a 'stat. Good luck with that, it'll be buried upside down somewhere.

I think I will let the experts deal with that one as it looks a pig to work on under the bonnet.

Yey nice pass! 

Half the problem with cars like this is you need to drive them to fix them, so suddenly now it's got a ticket, you can do weekly oil changes and 3000 miles inbetween etc and flush out the issues faster and harder! 

If it needs a thermostat then a new one will make it feel loads better, it'll be giving duff temp readings and all sorts. 

An utter result!

Use it and give it a few more cheap oil changes and enjoy. Oh and some centrecaps to finish the tidy it up.

As for the temperature drop, I'd give it a few weeks of regular use to be sure. A long layup period of inactivity can make stuff reluctant to work as it should. It could be a sticking sta, iffy temp sender kr just the thermostat opening at  operating temp and  it dropping a bit.

Overall tho  a total win.

1 hour ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

An utter result!

Use it and give it a few more cheap oil changes and enjoy. Oh and some centrecaps to finish the tidy it up.

As for the temperature drop, I'd give it a few weeks of regular use to be sure. A long layup period of inactivity can make stuff reluctant to work as it should. It could be a sticking sta, iffy temp sender kr just the thermostat opening at  operating temp and  it dropping a bit.

Overall tho  a total win.

I’ve bought myself one of those cheap Chinese buffing machines with heads for £20 and I’ve found quarter of  a bottle of poor boys black hole glaze in my shed so it’s getting a good polish.

But I won’t be taxing it now till the 1st May when everything opens up again as I’ve got to make a trip to East Kent with my father’s ashes and will take my mother and go in the golf as my My Mum and Dad had a mobile home down that way and this was the car he had at the time and he really enjoyed driving  it and loved the area.

The centre caps were next on the list and a couple of wheels could do with a refurb as the brake dust has eaten through the lacquer and also have a bit of corrosion and I’ve seen one wheel with tyre for £49 delivered which looks good condition so might go for that to save refurbishment on one and it looks like VW logos on the centre caps are clipped in so I need to find which ones I need and measure up.

I also saw a set of 4 wheels the same  on face ache which two had newish tyres on and looked okay for £120 (without centre caps) but my place is taken up with enough BMW wheels and can’t get anymore lol.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353242826930

• Vince70 changed the title to Done a bit more on the V5 Golf it now has an MOT

Nice to see this getting looked after. Heating system is easy enough to use, I don't bother with the Auto setting, just set the temp, individual buttons for where you want the air flow, fan speed is obvious and Econ turns the AC off. Recirc is quite useful when it's hot so the system is re-using the interior air rather than trying to cool hot air from outside

53 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Nice to see this getting looked after. Heating system is easy enough to use, I don't bother with the Auto setting, just set the temp, individual buttons for where you want the air flow, fan speed is obvious and Econ turns the AC off. Recirc is quite useful when it's hot so the system is re-using the interior air rather than trying to cool hot air from outside

Exactly this!

I picked up the new ronal  Montreal alloys today and they’re a lot better condition than my wheels and got 4 for £90 and the added bonus is the tyres are 2 nearly new Michelin and two newish Pirelli.

It would of helped though if I bought them last week as it would of saved me putting new tyres on the front lol 

I bought them off a lad that was into banger racing and he had been given the car by his dads mate as the cat had been stolen off his V5 golf and it was too expensive to replace.

He also told me the banger boys don’t like Golfs as they fold easily so he  decided to strip it for spares instead.