The free Golf V5 now turns into money pit

Vince70

I'd honestly be wary of putting oil of the incorrect spec in, even for 500 miles- I once filled my old MK4 with generic 10w40 and within 20 mike's the top end was hammering away like a machine gun. It took several changes with the correct spec oil and a bottle of Wynn's tappet treatment to return the car to normal running. Admittedly that's a sample size of one, and it was the 1.4 engine- but they can be fussy.

It's likely to want VW 502 or 504 spec, Im happy to check for you if you like via Haynes/my owners manual. As a top tip, speak to your local TPS, many of them will sell to the public, and if so, they'll sell you 5l of Fuchs  fully synthetic in the correct spec for about £13- Which is a bit of an upgrade compared with semi synthetic oil like Magnatec.

7 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

We've a tidy ish 3dr golf mk4 going to scrap at the end of the week, it's missing its engine but all there bar that if you need anything. 

You don't fancy pulling the glovebox out and the passenger seatbelt buckle and posting them do you? cash waiting :D

Rocker cover Doesnt look like a ball ache in the pic but the discription sounds like a faff, so maybe thats for another time. 

Id dump the oil out and chuck some cheapo stuff in. Id guess 5w40 for this era of VW.  Most VAG stuff seems to be that up untill 06 ish. 

You could drain the oil into a cleanish drip tray and have a look for any sparkle or clumped shite but id be surpised if the lack of changes has done much harm. 

To be honest, 3-in-1 would probably be an improvement on what's in there at the moment!

I'd not bother too much initially - stick in whatever so long as it's about the right grade, run it up to get properly up to temperature, then drain it out.  Check for any glitter in it.

If it looks good, then change the oil and filter with the correct stuff.  I'd then plan on changing it again after 100 miles, then keep an eye on the dipstick.  Change it then at 500 miles or when it turns noticeably dark, whichever happens first.  Then continue until it stays clean.  Or the engine grenades...

that oils fine - ex vw tech here.

however, vr motors are known for fucking timing chains, moreso when oil is not changed. i have a sad feeling youll change the oil a few times and then the chains and guides will let go.  the sludge gets dislodged and blocks the tensioners. only true fix is to strip and clean and rebuild. 

if it comes good, it will need new spark plugs asap. otherwise it kills the coils and runs like cock. 

I'll echo the new filter and several oil changes method. I brought back my Rovers engine with 7 oil changes in the end. It had oil..just very, very black and carbon chunked up.   Cheap oil and filter, then 3 cheap  oil changes after 70-100 miles and then a filter and oil change again  and a decent oil and new filter. 

I changed mine quickly as it was horribly coked up and dirty but it did lighten up between changes (sad enough to have saved a sample of each  change) and I got some cheap oil. As said avoid any flush/detergent additives.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought as it wasn’t raining I would fit the new battery today and while at it have another go at fitting the Bluetooth stereo and this time it works off the ignition and saves the presets which is a bonus

I also changed the cupholders as the original one was stuck solid but the only problem the new one is a Chinese pattern part so has a very small gap and doesn’t fit as well as the VW original.

While at it I also polished up the plastic around the stereo surrounding as I wanted to remove the scratched rubber coating.

C72777BF-FC59-4E39-9E25-F272836C3E19.jpeg

CF08AC81-6DA2-4897-AAC7-9B043FEAAE64.jpeg

DE65065E-2243-4759-91AC-45245589989C.jpeg

On 1/30/2021 at 2:22 PM, Zelandeth said:

I'd steer clear of any oil flushing agents on a modern engine like that.  All it's likely to do is encourage chunks of crud to detach from wherever they're stuck and then end up blocking something far more critical.

I'd just go with cheap oil and do several changes in quick succession.  Worth noting that diesel engine oil has a higher detergent content so might be worth considering.

Exactly what I've done in the past  - took the rocker cover off an old six banger and it was actually hard to see any components not covered in crusty tar - several oil & filter changes every 1000 miles later and a heck of a lot of it was gone - the oil went black very quickly each time it was changed and after that I did my usual 3000 mile changes

Today I managed to get the car over to my place but it made a horrible noice when I went over the bump in the drive but hopefully I’ve not cracked the sump.

So I think the first thing I’m going to do is pump the tyres up and give it a bloody good clean and pressure wash it underneath.

So my driveway now looks like a 90s German warm hatch appreciation society gathering.

I do prefer the E36 compact Ti to the golf though as it’s far more fun to drive.

BBC8B934-F83F-43EF-849B-5516C8A7EF57.jpeg

Today I had a spare 10 minutes so plugged in a cheap Chinese £10  vag code reader I bought on eBay and it came up with two codes and wanted to find out why the abs wasn’t working.

I’m still none the wiser but I reset the codes and now the Abs light is out which is a nice little surprise.

FC736177-1D5C-4DF1-AC8E-C9CF0F0A2B6C.jpeg

B07DB024-7ED1-4366-9AEE-B3CA6B4BA2F4.jpeg

BF1EE87B-EE5B-4902-9CDA-EED14932000E.jpeg

The 0068 code was due to a knackered battery by the looks of it and the 00283 was due to this tyre I think.

I really don’t know how anyone could drive round with flat tyres and not realise but apparently it was serviced once a year as it went for an MOT lol.

EFF7729E-9898-40FF-B73D-E838C3C610CA.thumb.jpeg.5d23fd70bc51870c49a5fae6611c1aa9.jpeg

C480CDB9-0BE9-4DD4-9A5F-62CDBA796CBF.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

+1    Show us the sludge! 

Sheesh, bit minging  inside and out.

I will do and it’s the only car I’ve ever got in with rubber gloves and wipes as it really is that minging.

I’ve actually put a seat cover on the driver’s seat just to stop myself getting dirty.

If the weather is good next week I will spend sometime giving it a good clean and I think the dirt has actually protected the seats from any wear lol.

• Vince70 changed the title to The Neglected Golf V5 now spending some money on it.

I’ve ordered some tyres for the front and ordered Hankook ventus prime 3 tyres for it as I got a good deal at kwik fit.

I paid a fiver for them to pop round to fit them as they’re so bad that if I got a pull by the old bill I’m sure I would be in for some points and a fine.

2 hours ago, Vince70 said:

I will do and it’s the only car I’ve ever got in with rubber gloves and wipes as it really is that minging.

A lifetime ago I was an ops manager for a truck rental company, one customer was Gregg's the bakers and had four  7.5 tonners permanently rented out, the drivers were frankly shit and I had to keep one truck permanently on stand by to cover servicing, ministry checks and the inevitable "accident" where it had been driven into a wall/other truck, reversed into something, bits willfully broken off.

The pretty much looked your Golf but with lots more  icing sugar ,icing sugar sticky and mouldy black icing sugar from all the free cakes, buns and donuts they found* ,  utterly  minging in the cab and the box itself, to the point a paper tacho was inoperative due to said sugar.

New tyres.. pah loads of life left in those pictured!

You just need  a tyre groover!

39419-1593697142-8945500.png

Today I was going to give it a good clean but the weather has put pay to that.

But I did have to find the locking wheel nut for Wednesday and was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the boot as the spare was a brand new Michelin tyre that’s never been out the cradle.

Also I repaired the armrest today with a new button that only cost a couple of pound off eBay.

F925680A-BE4E-404A-ABFC-41E99CCF6B65.thumb.jpeg.4f93b3fa6d0e62c6547f1aa0f0966dbc.jpeg  

1DBE9F7C-D233-4692-A127-09E6FD27C1A8.jpeg

0931D303-12AE-43B3-8A27-37D7EC9B7A2E.jpeg

Today I managed to get outside and give it a clean and was pleasantly surprised how good the bodywork was after 6 years of not getting a wash or polish.

The car is absolutely rust free apart from a very small spot about 2mm on the rear door handle.

The main damage was the clearcoat being damaged as the car was covered in seagull shite and used a bit of 2000 grade wet and   dry on those and a bit of polish.

Also while at it I changed the pollen and air filters.

If the weather is good on Friday I will drain the sludge out the sump and if I get time change the plugs.

I think what helped is I waxoyled the doors  years back and it’s leaked over the years and protected the car.

D383E821-0CC9-4C01-BD22-75656B9182DA.jpeg

08BDD0F7-F3E7-4F6D-B7D7-3ABA0747908C.jpeg

86A882AF-2E58-4A03-9148-E2EF091FBC0C.jpeg

70A7A694-D407-471F-8EF5-8E8FBC8D6A27.jpeg

8337DE55-BB58-4D31-BF41-D0C788EE3B3F.jpeg

I wasn’t going to work on the car today as I was just going to get the tyres done but in the end I steam cleaned the interior  and also tuned the Bluetooth in to an old iPhone 6  64gb  I rebuilt using old spare parts and it works a treat.

The tyres were done earlier than expected so thought I would do the first oil/filter change but had to dig out the pela pump as I didn’t have enough ground clearance to get the sump plug  undone.

As you can see the old filter had collapsed but I can’t see any shiny particles in what came out around the filter but it was like gloopy tar.

I’m not very mechanically minded and wonder if someone could tell me if the engine sounds okay 

Also it has trouble starting sometimes since I’ve changed the air filter but I’m not sure it’s one of those cars that needs your foot on the brake pedal when it starts as when you put your foot on the brake a light goes off when in  park .

Last time I had an Auto was my lovely reliable Rover 400 and don’t think I had to do it on that and that ran like clockwork.

So the oil is a 5/30 magnatec with a top up of some cheap 5/30 I had knocking  about and it’s doing the job of cleaning as it was black again after about 5 minutes.

I thought the song title was ideal for this car lol.

1CFC8F51-D957-4B34-AFE6-0845060D3CBC.jpeg

9753BBF1-45BF-4B3D-A966-B416467F30EE.jpeg

11914716-7844-4F40-8ACD-277C36376CDC.jpeg

0B02F06C-D1F8-4836-942D-BCC37CCE2F91.jpeg

11B82C1E-A992-4817-96E3-12975A8DB908.jpeg

A8DD2120-9BB1-4916-84A4-AC679771C711.jpeg

• Vince70 changed the title to Done a bit more on the V5 Golf, how’s the engine sound