Done a bit more on the V5 Golf, how’s the engine sound

1 minute ago, Spurious said:

Engine sounds fine to me. I've never heard a V5 but I don't feel like anything I'm hearing is terrible. 

Thanks for putting my mind at rest as I wasn’t sure if it sounded okay.

The next job to do is the plugs but a mechanic mate my brother knows has been under the cover to change a sensor and  snapped the cover around the clips so I’ve got to try to repair it or find another but being an early V5 I think that might be hard to find so hopefully Poundland two pack will repair it.

Black, Black.. like the stormtroopers uniform!

Should be ok, looks to have been caught in time, interesting to see the subsequent flush or two of it. Foot on the braketo start is  normal on  a VaG auto.(and in general ) The interior looks a damn sight better too.

15 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Black, Black.. like the stormtroopers uniform!

Should be ok, looks to have been caught in time, interesting to see the subsequent flush or two of it. Foot on the braketo start is  normal on  a VaG auto.(and in general ) The interior looks a damn sight better too.

Thanks I will be doing another oil change in about a 200 miles time but it will be sometime before I get to that mileage due to tax and insurance but  I’ve got to admit I’m pleasantly surprised how it’s coming along and even the seat bolsters are wear free.

I might try and refurb the wheels myself as they’re not badly chipped up but have quite a bit of corrosion due to the brake dust eating into the lacquer and I think a small wire wheel on a drill should clean them up nice.

Also I’m going to put some seafoam in the fuel system  just to help clean the injectors.

I wondered what this was on the stalk and it looks like it’s got cruise control and in all the years the car has been in the family no one realised the car had that but then my no one  realised it had a 6 disc cd changer in the boot lol.

5ACD1702-0871-4FBA-A9E6-4A1F813E3AE4.jpeg

Yep that’s the standard VAG cruise control stalk - a useful option for long journeys on flat, fast roads.

I would run the new oil and filter for 500 miles on some good long high speed runs before changing - that gives the additives time to tackle sludge and gunge. You can of course change earlier but I would argue it’s a waste as a well as a pain in the arse.

15 minutes ago, Dj_efk said:

Yep that’s the standard VAG cruise control stalk - a useful option for long journeys on flat, fast roads.

I would run the new oil and filter for 500 miles on some good long high speed runs before changing - that gives the additives time to tackle sludge and gunge. You can of course change earlier but I would argue it’s a waste as a well as a pain in the arse.

Thanks I will as  my insurance runs out in May so when I come to renew it I will put it on my multicar and tax it and run it for a month to get the mileage  up and MOT it at the same time.

Spurred on with the success of my E36 going straight through its MOT I decided to book the old golf in for an MOT and see how bad the fail sheet should be for next Thursday.

The guy who fitted the tyres yesterday said it had some play in the ball joints and I know the wiper blades no longer have any rubber attached but hopefully should arrive by Thursday morning.
And I still can’t work out why my pictures are upside down but I guess I can at least look underneath lol.

EA396C99-E357-4348-8C0E-7EE512904B9E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Vince70 said:

Spurred on with the success of my E36 going straight through its MOT I decided to book the old golf in for an MOT and see how bad the fail sheet should be for next Thursday.

The guy who fitted the tyres yesterday said it had some play in the ball joints and I know the wiper blades no longer have any rubber attached but hopefully should arrive by Thursday morning.
And I still can’t work out why my pictures are upside down but I guess I can at least look underneath lol.

EA396C99-E357-4348-8C0E-7EE512904B9E.jpeg

The new tyres are certainly grippy!