SAAB! There, I said it.

Shalien

20201226_152802.thumb.jpg.a4c436bc55ed222aec460370c730caa8.jpg

The ideal car for going like the hammers of fuck with a boot full of bits of Triumph Acclaim. This is @blackboilersuit's which has been on long term loan to me for far too long due to everything I own being fucked. It's more fuel efficient than my Volvo 740 was despite actually being able to get out of it's own way.

9 hours ago, Craig the Princess said:

IMG_20210104_160035073.thumb.jpg.8e4f41cbf281705e1fa44c5890c840b9.jpg

The Saab of many shiters is currently having the head gasket done. The mechanic said the timing belt was holding on by thoughts and prayers alone.

Which was bought by me when advertised by Jim on UKSaabs , many many years ago,
Still remember collecting it from Torpoint. Took me ages to realise that J900SKY was quite a good reg for a GM900 convertible...

8 hours ago, Vantman said:

The oldest Saab i have owned, 95--1974.

95.JPG

I've never actually managed to own a 95.  Had several 96s but never the wagon.  I did have a go in a 2-stroke 95 once though - that was fun.

I've just realised I've owned 30, not 28 - when I did my count-up last night I missed out the matt black 96 and the flat-front 9000 Turbo with the knackered brake servo.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:56 PM, CaptainBoom said:

Welcome Shalien, there are a few of us UKSAABS folk also here, I'll leave them to reveal themselves...

Hello CaptainBoom, not seen you about for a while 😉

On 1/29/2021 at 9:00 PM, gadgetgricey said:

Hello and welcome.....

Hi gadget, good to see another familiar (face) 😆

On 1/29/2021 at 11:42 PM, Saabnut said:

Took your time Shalien!

I'm sure you will rue the day!! If I'm here, who's tending to the other place 🤣😵🤔

8 hours ago, Shalien said:

Hello CaptainBoom, not seen you about for a while 😉

Hi, good to hear from you again Shalien.  Recent events have cut down on my leisure/forum browsing time, so I dip in and out of here occasionally where time permits.  Not a negative comment on UKSAABS, there's alway a good craic to be found there.

The C900 still sits on my driveway making the place look tidy (it would have to be a right state before it makes the area I live in look any worse!)  I started it up over the new year and took it for a quick chug around the estate/private test track.  There may have been some unburnt fuel in the exhaust...

20210101_132431868_iOS.jpg

20210101_134405510_iOS.jpg

Eventually the smoke cleared and it ran just fine.  Sadly the metal moth is catching up, so in the spring will begin the weldathon I've been promising for two years.  Keeping the public away will be... interesting, around here they will queue up to stand and look at a street light (during the day).

On 1/30/2021 at 5:15 PM, captain_70s said:

20201226_152802.thumb.jpg.a4c436bc55ed222aec460370c730caa8.jpg

The ideal car for going like the hammers of fuck with a boot full of bits of Triumph Acclaim. This is @blackboilersuit's which has been on long term loan to me for far too long due to everything I own being fucked. It's more fuel efficient than my Volvo 740 was despite actually being able to get out of it's own way.

That is particularly nice.....

Screenshot_20210131-231750_Twitter.thumb.jpg.125d187b3d01ad9a66f163e15b23f09a.jpg

I miss my 9-5, was a great car to cover distance in and it looked fantastic, well to my eyes anyway.

Screenshot_20210131-231827_Twitter.thumb.jpg.e202a883d5afb664b0e58c824845f4ac.jpg

When we had the little caravan it was great fun coming out of 30 limits to national speed limits and seeing a car come out to overtake a slow caravan, and then go backwards, as the Saab was still quicker 30-70 with the van on than a lot of cars on their own 😂

Screenshot_20210131-231849_Twitter.thumb.jpg.e5626cef62a532e8975821f045640599.jpg

Another advocate for Saabs. 

Been driving this 2008 9-5 for 4 years now. Not a popular one, being a 1.9 Diesel Dame Edna version, but by far the nicest car I've ever owned and with it not being a popular one just makes it more endearing in my opinion. Taken it from 31k to 93k miles and I intend on doing another 62k in it. Have had thoughts of replacing it, but I honestly can't think of what I'd replace it with! 

It's beginning to look tatty these days with a few car park dings and the wheels need a refurb, but as a daily it's been dependable and has never left me stranded. 

Plus I've noticed it gets a fair amount of respect on the roads compared to other cars I've driven. I've a '52 plate Mondeo as well and that gets treated with disdain - the Saab, on the other hand, doesn't tend to be tailgate or cut up as much. 

Hopefully these photos work - it's never normally this clean!! 

received_2308884669403142.jpeg

received_745566855964564.jpeg

As the home thread for the Saab lickers on here...

There's a Yellow 900 2.3se Convertible in the next town over from me.

This seems the ideal thread for people to tell me that a 23 years old sub grand convertible from a backstreet garage is obviously going to be complete shed that would have been scrapped years ago if it was a tin top and as such I shouldn't bother trying to make time to go and see it with the inevitable risk of falling in love with the idea and instant regret.

The mot history does look ok...

That is the offending example.

I didn't realise it's been doing the rounds for that long. Although the mot history is relatively clean for a car of it's age clean, there is an advisory from a couple of years ago which might flag up why.

Advisory notice item(s)
Damage to offside front floor

It isn't on the most recent mot so may have been fixed, it is certainly where I'd be digging if I do go and see it.

I managed to find an address for the 'company' and it doesn't match the location of the pictures of cars they have for sale which I don't find reassuring. 

I'm not sure it's worth irritating my wife by wasting Saturday morning on, I'm sure it'll still be there in a few weeks if I'm still carless and the weather picks up to make it a nice ride out. Otherwise the end of lockdown will hopefully open up a wider searching are and make private sales more straightforward. 

1 hour ago, LostnotFound said:

That is the offending example.

I didn't realise it's been doing the rounds for that long. Although the mot history is relatively clean for a car of it's age clean, there is an advisory from a couple of years ago which might flag up why.

Advisory notice item(s)
Damage to offside front floor

It isn't on the most recent mot so may have been fixed, it is certainly where I'd be digging if I do go and see it.

I managed to find an address for the 'company' and it doesn't match the location of the pictures of cars they have for sale which I don't find reassuring. 

I'm not sure it's worth irritating my wife by wasting Saturday morning on, I'm sure it'll still be there in a few weeks if I'm still carless and the weather picks up to make it a nice ride out. Otherwise the end of lockdown will hopefully open up a wider searching are and make private sales more straightforward. 

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post, I think the advert on eBay is an old one and the chap in the video bought it. I think he has then sold it on as well. I think it went North, beyond the wall, where Swedish metal is (rightly) revered.

1 hour ago, Surface Rust said:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post, I think the advert on eBay is an old one and the chap in the video bought it. I think he has then sold it on as well. I think it went North, beyond the wall, where Swedish metal is (rightly) revered.

Ah ok, that makes sense thank you. 

Another Saab lover here. I've had 4

L reg 9000 Aero in white, bought from @kinkersaab on here, long before I knew this place existed. Great car, went down south and got tuned to 400bhp odd. White ones are rare apparently.

N reg 9000 Aero in silver. Ended up with a Stage 1 map and some other nice bits, went like the hammers of fuck. Had a mold electrical problem (put a Conrod through the alternator) which required a new engine. It got sold on uksaabs and lived on for a while. 

Then an 02 plate 9-3 2.2tid-the runout version of the old shape with plane logos in the seats. I never bonded with it so it didn't last long

Most recent was an early 9-5 Aero manual Estate. It too was a great car, very much a grown up 9000. I do prefer 9000s though, Aeros are ace😁

I've had two and really liked both. 

First one, a 9-5 Aero Estate, bought from @SierraMikeHotel of this parish. It had a stage 1 Noobtune. It was obscenely quick, even being the four speed auto. 

20190503_210225.thumb.jpg.5e10a7c904afad16ca56ec3079585ece.jpg

20190505_140454.thumb.jpg.2b608cfdb74539540708742db1257b04.jpg

Then last year I had this 9-5 Aero Saloon that came from the UKSaabs forum. A manual gearbox this time. Now with @loserone of this parish. He took it on when I got the Lexus, I miss it a bit! 

IMG_20200926_184351.thumb.jpg.a0f25eab58632fc4b3222a811985f024.jpg

IMG_20200904_165250.thumb.jpg.4ef7e269bc64cbb13c64c213637e999d.jpg

They were both obscenely cheap for what capable cars they are. I got lucky with both, they can definitely be a bit needy, but I really enjoyed driving both more than most other cars I've owned. You won't go faster for less...