Jump to content

Desirable limited editions


Recommended Posts

I can think of two highly desirable Alfa’s that were special editions. The last batch of 75’s called the L.E. for limited edition. I think the UK importer did them with the fake split rim speedlines and body kits. All 2.0 with the old school 8v twin spark. They might have had an LSD as well? Always fancied one but these days they’re all either very broken, or too much money. image.jpeg.170af2608402ba886f51986599417b99.jpegThe second was the car that got me into Alfa’s, at a trip to see the BTCC at Thruxton (can’t remember which year but I was in my mid teens and it was the 90’s). Watching the Old Spice sponsored 155’s was just amazing, I’ve been fascinated by unreliable shiny red cars ever since. There was a sort of homologation special they did so they could run these with a front splitter, the mighty 155 Silverstone. image.jpeg.9809920a659684c5a1d3a7304aee5da5.jpeg
  I should think most motorsport linked homologation jobbies, (like the 205/106 Rallye) are probably worth more than the standard version. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alfa botherer said:

I can think of two highly desirable Alfa’s that were special editions. The last batch of 75’s called the L.E. for limited edition. I think the UK importer did them with the fake split rim speedlines and body kits. All 2.0 with the old school 8v twin spark. They might have had an LSD as well? Always fancied one but these days they’re all either very broken, or too much money. image.jpeg.170af2608402ba886f51986599417b99.jpegThe second was the car that got me into Alfa’s, at a trip to see the BTCC at Thruxton (can’t remember which year but I was in my mid teens and it was the 90’s). Watching the Old Spice sponsored 155’s was just amazing, I’ve been fascinated by unreliable shiny red cars ever since. There was a sort of homologation special they did so they could run these with a front splitter, the mighty 155 Silverstone. image.jpeg.9809920a659684c5a1d3a7304aee5da5.jpeg
  I should think most motorsport linked homologation jobbies, (like the 205/106 Rallye) are probably worth more than the standard version. 

The old Spice 155s were 1995, the year after they won the championship. By 1995 all BTCC cars had spoilers and splitters due to the homologation fiddle you mention which they did in 1994 on the Silverstone edition where the kit to extended front splitter/rear spoiler was in the boot !  I too bought a 155 on the back of those BTCC cars ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Land Rover/Range Rover had a seemingly never ending run of special editions through the 90's. The 50th Anniversary set were quite smart, especially the Defender as I think they revived the V8 with an auto just for that run and pretty sure they still command a premium. 

One which does stick in my mind from a review in a Landy lickers rag was the P38 Holland and Holland special edition, just for its typically Britishy understated lugzuuurey - dark leather seats and then oiled wood to match your shotgun. Not very Autoshite but the nicestest looking P38 in my eyes. Certainly a classy car in its day and they seem to be firmly in the collectors sights now (if that can be said of a P38).

https://www.graemehunt.com/inventory/464/2000-range-rover

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gm said:

 

fullsizeoutput_21e.thumb.jpeg.d0964e6d60d74a90b77c62bc8ddc31c4.jpeg

 

Love this photo; is there a higher quality version of it anywhere? I think it would make a fantastic poster

Personally I’d love a J or an R Limited, but I’ve not had much luck finding either. They don’t seem all that common any more :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wesacosa said:

My dad used to have the amusingly named Micra Wave

 

There was a Sunny 'Spray' available around the same time. Nissan perhaps going for a seaside theme for their limited editions. 

My parents bought a damaged repaired Astra 'California' but being based on the poverty spec merit, it was far from visions that this west coast state may have conjured up in the 1990s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots mentioned already I'd completely forgotten about, a family down the road from my grandparents had a Cavalier Antibes which I never knew was so basic until this morning. My mate's first car in 1998 was a two tone green Cortina Crusader, CWC509X. Cost him a hundred quid, badly failed the Mot he submitted it for and fairly sure it ended up on the track like Cortinas tended to back then. A couple who lived in the same estate as him had a Y-reg Capri Calypso, blue over silver with steel wheels. Even in the late nineties it was mint, I can't recall seeing another since. 

Edit: Might have been a Capri Cabaret now I think about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macscrooge said:

I spent many miles as a passenger in my mate’s Astra Antibes. Very poverty spec inside - not even a fag lighter. 

It shows how my brain works , I do a job in Antibes every summer. The first time I was asked to do it about 5 years ago, I was the opposite, didn’t know where it was  and only heard of it because of the Astra and Cavalier.

When I confessed to this to the bloke with the yacht and £12million villa down there, he wasn’t surprised at all, reckons unless it’s something to do with cars or girls nothing registers in my head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, leafsprung said:

Land Rover/Range Rover had a seemingly never ending run of special editions through the 90's. The 50th Anniversary set were quite smart, especially the Defender as I think they revived the V8 with an auto just for that run and pretty sure they still command a premium. 

One which does stick in my mind from a review in a Landy lickers rag was the P38 Holland and Holland special edition, just for its typically Britishy understated lugzuuurey - dark leather seats and then oiled wood to match your shotgun. Not very Autoshite but the nicestest looking P38 in my eyes. Certainly a classy car in its day and they seem to be firmly in the collectors sights now (if that can be said of a P38).

https://www.graemehunt.com/inventory/464/2000-range-rover

 

Don’t forget the one above the Holland and Holland, the Linley. Only 10 made and an extra £35k over the H&H. Maybe Viscount Linley handmade the wood trim, he was a furniture maker, after all.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gm said:

the reason I came on was to mention the Renault Clio Campus and the Peugeot 106 Graduate, both presumably cynically targeting the parents of rich kids away off to uni - it certainly worked judging by the numbers of both to be seen bombing around Edinburgh in the 90s

10936068.jpg.0a064fb27b202254fa2edae0a50ef47e.jpg

ebay600069.jpg.6657ad7adf9702676fc543062001e1c2.jpg

although it would seem that Renault got there first with the Campus idea

11208584.thumb.jpg.8053d9f866cee0ce8196205214e3e8b0.jpg

  

IIRC the Campus trim carried on until the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spartacus said:

Here we go...

Fiat-Panda-Italia-90.jpg

Panda Italia '90

fiat-panda-bianca.jpg

Panda Bianca

80779d48fc42fc573e2506bcc15d9d83.jpg

Panda Dance 

Other fast rusting Italian special editions are available.

 

 

Was that Italia 90 available with 999 ccm Fire, or 750 ccm only? I remember I tried to cannibalize one for my Uno 45 and as it was definitely 750 (green airbox), I had to look elsewhere.

My 3rd (and last) Uno was called "Primavera", white 1108 ccm with red interior and very cool 2 layer (venetian blinds/glass) sunroof.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bitzer said:

Was that Italia 90 available with 999 ccm Fire, or 750 ccm only? I remember I tried to cannibalize one for my Uno 45 and as it was definitely 750 (green airbox), I had to look elsewhere.

My 3rd (and last) Uno was called "Primavera", white 1108 ccm with red interior and very cool 2 layer (venetian blinds/glass) sunroof.

No idea, I'm sure a quick Google would tell us, although if I tag @Grumblespeed then he'll save us the bother.;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, spartacus said:

Cavalier Commander, was that a thing?

I think so, silver grey with steel wheels rings a bell.  Cavalier Calibre was another, I remember watching an Asian lad rag one off up Foleshill Road one afternoon and couldn't believe how long a smoky stripe of rubber it left from a standing start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bub2006 said:

The final run of escorts from I think 1998 to 2001 were only sold I'm 2 trim levels and 2 engines. A 1.6 petrol and a 1.8 diesel. The flight had 2 speakers and a cassette player  whereas the finesse had 4 speakers,cd player,air con and electric windows.

On subject of escorts the Mexico special edition on the mk6 was a pointless affair trying to hark back to the mk1 and 2 mexico which was a relatively sporty model but the mk6 was a basic model with white dials and a few badges. 

Those late 'Mexico' ones were risible.  We had a few through the auctions, seem to recall they (and one or two other 'limited edition' Escorts had that horrible spine on the right hand side of the driver's seat. The cloth wore through in about 2 minutes flat and left the metal bar exposed, plus they were really uncomfortable at the best of times. The Ghia ones of the same vintage were a much nicer place to be inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cavcraft said:

Those late 'Mexico' ones were risible.  We had a few through the auctions, seem to recall they (and one or two other 'limited edition' Escorts had that horrible spine on the right hand side of the driver's seat. The cloth wore through in about 2 minutes flat and left the metal bar exposed, plus they were really uncomfortable at the best of times. The Ghia ones of the same vintage were a much nicer place to be inside.

My first escort van had ghia seats in it. Definitely more comfortable. our old finesse wasnt the best either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid 90's Peugeot 106 'Kid' with denim (effect) upholstery, blue dials and carpets and an actual ruddy sunroof. Exciting stuff.  Mother Leafsprung had one from new and it was the first car I drove after passing my test. Great little cars. I loved it then and would have another now if I could find one.  

dscn0082-ee5661.jpg

48871933066_86c0f85564.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my GF back then owned a Peugeot 106 Aztec.  I briefly saw a girl with a 106 Junior before her, and the girl after had a 106 Graduate 1.4 diesel.  Liked 106’s and would welcome a test drive but I would have fairly mixed memories.  Definitely the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

BBA71BF7-E74F-4673-A2FA-BAEEAA17FF32.jpeg

224EC305-ADAE-4180-AA96-2FDFD74A0BF5.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

The french were the grand masters at names for base models with a sticker on through the 90s. Weren't the last 205s all badged Aztec too? Ex mrs had a n plate and I've seen a couple of m plates too badged as Aztec. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Parky said:

Me and my GF back then owned a Peugeot 106 Aztec.  I briefly saw a girl with a 106 Junior before her, and the girl after had a 106 Graduate 1.4 diesel.  Liked 106’s and would welcome a test drive but I would have fairly mixed memories.  Definitely the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

BBA71BF7-E74F-4673-A2FA-BAEEAA17FF32.jpeg

224EC305-ADAE-4180-AA96-2FDFD74A0BF5.png

At the time the then gf's Mother had a 5 door 106 n/a diesel. Possibly the most gutless car I've ever driven even if it did do galactic mpg. I remember being insured on it for a holiday in the Peak District. Going up hills, 2 up loaded with camping clutter was a 1st/2nd gear ordeal. At least the 1.0 pez had a bit of fizz. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alfa botherer said:

I can think of two highly desirable Alfa’s that were special editions. The last batch of 75’s called the L.E. for limited edition. I think the UK importer did them with the fake split rim speedlines and body kits. All 2.0 with the old school 8v twin spark. They might have had an LSD as well? Always fancied one but these days they’re all either very broken, or too much money. image.jpeg.170af2608402ba886f51986599417b99.jpegThe second was the car that got me into Alfa’s, at a trip to see the BTCC at Thruxton (can’t remember which year but I was in my mid teens and it was the 90’s). Watching the Old Spice sponsored 155’s was just amazing, I’ve been fascinated by unreliable shiny red cars ever since. There was a sort of homologation special they did so they could run these with a front splitter, the mighty 155 Silverstone. image.jpeg.9809920a659684c5a1d3a7304aee5da5.jpeg
  I should think most motorsport linked homologation jobbies, (like the 205/106 Rallye) are probably worth more than the standard version. 

I just sold my 75 LE in the summer after owning it for 14+ years. Loved it but needed the space. Number 3408 of 3500.

Here it is on the day it was collected having the battery charged.

 

SAM_4929.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HMC said:

MK2 cav “commander” no idea of spec but loved the graphics and alloys (or coloured steel wheels?) hard to tell

We had a loan Cavalier Commander in 1985 when the family Orion had some issues. Lovely looking car and felt so much better than a Ford of that era. I still occasionally see them appear for sale, but they're ultra rare now. Only produced in 85 and 86 iirc. Unique trim, graphics and SR steels as standard. They were all silver too. 

 

b74625f55a097c28499579a74c0b3e91.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Parky said:

Me and my GF back then owned a Peugeot 106 Aztec.  I briefly saw a girl with a 106 Junior before her, and the girl after had a 106 Graduate 1.4 diesel.  Liked 106’s and would welcome a test drive but I would have fairly mixed memories.  Definitely the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

BBA71BF7-E74F-4673-A2FA-BAEEAA17FF32.jpeg

224EC305-ADAE-4180-AA96-2FDFD74A0BF5.png

Always felt they missed a trick not getting Richard O’Brien to advertise this and hoon one through the Crystal Maze Aztec zone while blasting something French-sounding on his mouth organ  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...