Jump to content

Desirable limited editions


Recommended Posts

I was asking about this in the ebay thread, but it’s probably best to move it somewhere separate.

Which ‘limited’ or ‘special’ editions of cars are actually more valuable or sought after than their ordinary counterparts?

I’m not talking so much about tuned performance models, but rather the cooking spec models with a special paint colour or some badges that are made to shift an extra few hundred cars. They’re often marketed as a collectible guaranteed future classic, but are there any that actually are more desirable?

@SiCcame up with some good ones, but I’m interested to see if there are others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm.not sure, but our UK mk1 MX5 is a special edition.  The Monza.

With No:

LSD

Airbags

Central locking 

PAS

ABS

Remove boot latch

Head rest speakers. 

Fancy wood rimmed steering wheel 

Leather seats

Boot Lid rack 

Rear spoiler. 

Electric windows 

Nothing. None of that. Apart from 3 stick on logos.  

And Only 92 BHP unlike the other 1.6s which had 115 and the 1.8 which had 130. 

The first owner bought a hard top with it. The second owner sold it. We took the opportunity to fit a roof with a heated glass rear window as the wiring was there. 

I guess it's the Least Valuable of all of the range. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Laurence said:

Which ‘limited’ or ‘special’ editions of cars are actually more valuable or sought after than their ordinary counterparts?

It isn’t quite the same exam question, but if you haven’t seen it already, this thread may be of interest as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RoadworkUK said:

As above. Scirocco Storm / Corrado Storm are further examples. Late Escort Finesse isn't.

The final run of escorts from I think 1998 to 2001 were only sold I'm 2 trim levels and 2 engines. A 1.6 petrol and a 1.8 diesel. The flight had 2 speakers and a cassette player  whereas the finesse had 4 speakers,cd player,air con and electric windows.

On subject of escorts the Mexico special edition on the mk6 was a pointless affair trying to hark back to the mk1 and 2 mexico which was a relatively sporty model but the mk6 was a basic model with white dials and a few badges. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, New POD said:

I'm.not sure, but our UK mk1 MX5 is a special edition.  The Monza.

With No:

LSD

Airbags

Central locking 

PAS

ABS

Remove boot latch

Head rest speakers. 

Fancy wood rimmed steering wheel 

Leather seats

Boot Lid rack 

Rear spoiler. 

Electric windows 

Nothing. None of that. Apart from 3 stick on logos.  

And Only 92 BHP unlike the other 1.6s which had 115 and the 1.8 which had 130. 

The first owner bought a hard top with it. The second owner sold it. We took the opportunity to fit a roof with a heated glass rear window as the wiring was there. 

I guess it's the Least Valuable of all of the range. 

it feels like every mx5 is a 'special edition' or limited to 500 made affair, all that seems to change is the steering wheel and little bits like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 1duck said:

it feels like every mx5 is a 'special edition' or limited to 500 made affair, all that seems to change is the steering wheel and little bits like that.


Yeah, mine's a Gleneagles edition. The only bit of equipment it gained was power steering as standard, rather than an option. The rest was a trim package, with special seats/wheels and various tartan details inside, all of which are completely unobtainable now. Which is unhelpful during a restoration, it's taken me ages to hunt the stuff down. Worth no more than a normal MX5, which I sometimes wish I'd gone for!

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

The final run of escorts from I think 1998 to 2001 were only sold I'm 2 trim levels and 2 engines. A 1.6 petrol and a 1.8 diesel. The flight had 2 speakers and a cassette player  whereas the finesse had 4 speakers,cd player,air con and electric windows.

On subject of escorts the Mexico special edition on the mk6 was a pointless affair trying to hark back to the mk1 and 2 mexico which was a relatively sporty model but the mk6 was a basic model with white dials and a few badges. 

You channelling a bit of @Hendrythere @bub2006?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford, we’re of course the masters of the Special Edition, probably invented it in Britain.

The fact that Ford Scene Tax exists makes it difficult to say if any are worth any more than a similar condition “ normal” example . Often they weren’t based on top spec models anyway, so they won’t be worth as much.

A Zephyr Special , for all its cloth insert seats, white vinyl roof and radio is probably not as desirable as a full fat Executive.

Similarly a Cortina Crusader is never going to be worth more than a 2.0 or 2.3 S. A Mk2 Granada Chasseur or Sapphire on the other hand starts off as a Ghia then adds more equipment , so in addition to the rarity they were the best Granadas you could get at the time.

My suggestion is the Range Rover CSK and yes I’m kicking myself for not buying an immaculate one for £2000 a few years ago, thing is,at the time a normal Rangie would have Ben £4/500.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Ford, we’re of course the masters of the Special Edition, probably invented it in Britain.

The fact that Ford Scene Tax exists makes it difficult to say if any are worth any more than a similar condition “ normal” example . Often they weren’t based on top spec models anyway, so they won’t be worth as much.

A Zephyr Special , for all its cloth insert seats, white vinyl roof and radio is probably not as desirable as a full fat Executive.

Similarly a Cortina Crusader is never going to be worth more than a 2.0 or 2.3 S. A Mk2 Granada Chasseur or Sapphire on the other hand starts off as a Ghia then adds more equipment , so in addition to the rarity they were the best Granadas you could get at the time.

My suggestion is the Range Rover CSK and yes I’m kicking myself for not buying an immaculate one for £2000 a few years ago, thing is,at the time a normal Rangie would have Ben £4/500.

So don't post this one for sale at £70k then? 

CSK_01.jpg

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11107718

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wesacosa said:

My dad used to have the amusingly named Micra Wave

s-l400.jpg

Nissan went mad with edition names with others like Vibe and Tropic. Peugeot did one with the 106 and called it a Zest, and Toyota had an edition of Starlet called Solara, whatever that means!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Colin McRae edition Impreza. 1 of 200.  I think other than the gold wheels and fishnet Recaro's it was just a normal impreza. I heard a podcast and it was some guys first job in the motor industry to work in a hanger changing

all the seats and wheels over and sticking on the limited edition badge.

Much like NorfolkNweighs story me and a mate found one of these in a bomb site Glasgow car lot. 4 flat tyres, rusty arches, wheels missing, almost up to it's axles in mud.

It was up for £1800.  Would you take £1500 I asked , it's 1800 or you can f*ck off said the salesman who looked like a bond henchman. We left it. 

Ref 7 1996 Subaru Impreza Series McRae

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cort16 said:

The chasseur is the one that sticks in my head

Gorfe´s Granadas: 1980 Granada Chasseur 2.8 – Driven To Write

That and the Orion 1600E.  Just an Orion but with a posh interior. I always really wanted one of these for some reason.

I think they're a bit more desirable but I don't think anyone will pay 20 grand for one

Orion 1600E for sale in UK | 33 second-hand Orion 1600Es

post-6200-1242407798_thumb.jpg

Me too. Really wanted one of them, plus also the Sierra 2000E which I think was only available in the saloon bodyshell. There’s a road test from CAR in about 1989 that pitted a 1600E against an allegro VDP and a Belmont CD. One of Bulgin’s first pieces for the mag.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aged 12 thought the fiesta flight was a special edition that was a cut above some stick on graphics and a hacked on sunroof.

00CF9D51-E79E-4D2D-80F2-70556A171B1D.thumb.png.727c2f5248de50d990a32031934906e7.png

As far I I could see it was a cross polination of 5 door shell, xr2i alloys, the lower beltline 2 tone from the ghia, and a stylised “flight” graphic. More than the sum of its parts.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The runout 280 Brooklands Capri is another one that is supposed to command a premium.

I was always intrigued by the depressing 'dealer specials' that used to cross my friend's car lot. Usually musty-smelling base model Fords with a pin stripe and a stained headlining due to the leaky aftermarket sunroof that had sweetened the original deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

205 Roland Garros, like the one Steph test drove recently, basically a plush trimmed XS with leather/part leather seats, electric windows and a few other bells and whistles.

I would also consider the 205 Gentry desirable but it came with a Heather Mills-o-matic ‘box only coupled to a lower tuned 1.9, which really puts me off and this lowers the desirability factor significantly for me.

Obviously before the days of every few weeks the 106 had another ‘limited’ edition.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...