Automobiles DANGEL

Dave_Q

Have only just found out they do a conversion for my van and I think it's the greatest thing ever.

Anyone had a Dangel version of some frog chod? Not mega popular over here but I think Royal Mail still use some round my area, definitely seen Partners but not sure if these are 4x4 or just the lifted "4x2" version.

Any posties with any Intel? Are there still 4x4 versions in use? Any 4x4 Experts or all Partners? Basically I'd like to know if I will be able to buy a ruined ex-royal mail Expert one day to rob the 4x4 stuff off.

5d4a997846e5ad1ffe663ba38a565f90.jpg

Over in europe they are definitely a thing:

https://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/citroen-dangel-jumpy-4x4-winter-package-l2h1-v%C3%A4nersborg/316314092.html

Available on Ducato/Boxer/Relay too:

d78388cce6522485bf7dc6766785d8cb.jpg

https://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/fiat-ducato-2-8-td-dangel-allrad-4x4-t%C3%BCv-08-2021-regensburg/313246661.html

On older stuff:

142dc5f816eb06e35e2ce708df01346f.jpg

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1718145116.htm

Be like cobblers but MOAR OFF ROAD:

a2452cdaf1422539abda92fc2f8faeb5.jpg

https://www.leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/1871360998.htm

Basically just after Dangel stories and intel.

Dangel me.

The PO vans are the slightly lifted 2wd versions (Dangel Trek). They might have grip control or something like the 2008 etc, but popular around here for the worst tracks etc (although our Postie has to live with a normal one for our track).

I’d love a previous gen (M59) Partner or Berlingo Dangel. Would be ideal for us. A Partner is ideal, but it can be rough out here in Upper Weardale at 1100ft up and our steep track sometimes goes beyond what good winter tyres can cope with for a few days, sometimes possibly weeks a year.

Cue @loserone

What I found a bit surprising is that I couldn't find any forums etc with people bolting the bits in as a conversion.
Maybe they exist but not in english.

The new manuals have a snazzy CAD picture of what the system looks like:
710e6aba0a23dd247fef31ca11d75793.jpg

The older ones don't but do have a couple of pictures of the bits in situ (this is mk1 Berlingo https://sav.dangel.com/sites/sav.dangel.fr/files/pdf/1959A_FRA.pdf)

It looks like it all bolt in and almost 100% mechanical so it does look like you could retrofit if you could find the bits.

Front gearbox/transfer box, prop, rear subframe/diff assembly, a different fuel tank on some of them, sorted?

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Used to be plenty of Dangel 504s and 505s in the alpine villages around Grenoble.  They've probably mostly rotted away by now mind.

Surprisingly a few of them still around and they regularly come up for sale.

There's a chap who I think used to be on retro rides who bought a 504 pickup one recently.  Will try and get some pictures from my archive tonight once the kids are in bed.

The 504 was actually fitted with a separate chassis for conversion, but after that it's been mostly bolt on.

20 hours ago, Matty said:

Wasn't @Scruffy Bodger repairing a dangel 504 pickup for a mate?

20200711_164455.thumb.jpg.a43e64831589ff050872227aea06aece.jpg20200711_164223.thumb.jpg.46eb9483cb393956edaba7e20977284e.jpg

I was. I got it that far, sourced someone who could form the chassis rails like the originals and replicate the floor, did all the grunt work removing the bed for cheap and then the little twat decided to get someone else involved behind my back. You wouldn't believe how many spot welds hold that bed on! Not happy at all as all my work dried up last year, same lad I did the Justy for a pittance for too, his mates rates are now on permanent stop.  It's got as far as having the chassis rails replaced and that's it AFAIK.

A shame as I bet they are very capable off road and built to take it too.

In the ninety's, when I was living in Portugal, I had a 504 Dangelberry for 3 or 4 months. I was running a MK2 Hiace 8 seater. which I had hoiked the back seats out of, and my Portuguese mechanic mate knew someone who wanted one and would pay 2/300 Euro's more than the 600 I gave. As mechanics get first pick of chod being sold, he always had, or knew of something that I could be interested in. He had, generally,  half a dozen chods at the Garage and amongst the Fiat Punto's, they were everywhere, he had the 504 and he would swap the Hiace and he'd get a bung from the margin. I paid 600 ish, I think, for the Hiace. I was doing house renovations/ improvements and I needed something to carry tools, and stuff, with a tow bar for trailering materials and stuff.  The Hiace was a bit big for what I needed and sitting more or less in front of the front wheel and with the roads as they were, it was a bit yoyo ish even with good shocks. So I thought a 504 would be a better size and more comfy. Which it was. Lounge chair stylee and it went 'alright'. It did feel a bit less get up and go compared to the Hiace but I put it down to it being a bit of a hefty old beast.

It was next day I found out that the middle row of this seven seater didn't fold up so couldn't get  all the stuff in. Forgot to find out when I got it. Had to drag the trailer a lot. Very not handy. It did go everywhere which was ok as a lot of my work was up tracks that the wood trucks used to chew up, although I never had a problem in a 305 to be honest.  So when a recently arrived English couple decided they had* to have a 4x4, even though they didn't, and a goodly profit could be made, off it went. Can't remember what I got after that. Would I have one now ? Damn right, although a 505 would be nicer.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:51 AM, Jimbob McGregor said:

The PO vans are the slightly lifted 2wd versions (Dangel Trek). They might have grip control or something like the 2008 etc, but popular around here for the worst tracks etc (although our Postie has to live with a normal one for our track).

I chatted to our postie about his Trek as I thought it might be 4wd. He didn't know if it was a Dangel or anything but he knew it was 2wd and 'a bit shit'.  Probably fine really, if you gave him a unimog it would be 'too big'.

4 hours ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

20200711_164455.thumb.jpg.a43e64831589ff050872227aea06aece.jpg20200711_164223.thumb.jpg.46eb9483cb393956edaba7e20977284e.jpg

I was. I got it that far, sourced someone who could form the chassis rails like the originals and replicate the floor, did all the grunt work removing the bed for cheap and then the little twat decided to get someone else involved behind my back. You wouldn't believe how many spot welds hold that bed on! Not happy at all as all my work dried up last year, same lad I did the Justy for a pittance for too, his mates rates are now on permanent stop.  It's got as far as having the chassis rails replaced and that's it AFAIK.

A shame as I bet they are very capable off road and built to take it 

What a shithouse. Sorry to hear that, with a bit of luck the lad thats doing it now won't do it properly