MG Allegro, MG Princess etc.

RoadworkUK

On 1/21/2021 at 2:33 PM, Rovorsche said:

It was the Porsche 924 of its day then, powered by a Van engine.
The 1622 was fitted to the Austin J4 (and refitted quite often with fresh gold or silver paint on the outside)

early-facia-panel.png

The dashboard above was a 2.0 Ambassador VandenPlas with factory Twin carbs, but I seem to remember more wood in the one I drove about.
No Rev counter but it did have an ECON gauge, the mission was obviously get the lowest reading on this because more fuel = more POWER!
It had the ingredients just needed badges.
Chasing an XR3 through some twisties did make the PAS pump rather incontinent, the car belonged to my girlfriends dad and I mumbled at my shoes about "It was OK when I parked it"

What are those 2 levers either side of the dash in line with the glovebox for?

On 21/01/2021 at 14:19, Wilko220 said:

That really is miserable looking for something with a VDP badge. They even managed to do better than that in the Metro.

Austin Ambassador Vanden Plas | Vanden Plas Owners Club

First time I see wood being optional in a VDP

On 1/21/2021 at 1:33 PM, Rovorsche said:

It was the Porsche 924 of its day then, powered by a Van engine.
The 1622 was fitted to the Austin J4 (and refitted quite often with fresh gold or silver paint on the outside)

early-facia-panel.png

The dashboard above was a 2.0 Ambassador VandenPlas with factory Twin carbs, but I seem to remember more wood in the one I drove about.
No Rev counter but it did have an ECON gauge, the mission was obviously get the lowest reading on this because more fuel = more POWER!
It had the ingredients just needed badges.
Chasing an XR3 through some twisties did make the PAS pump rather incontinent, the car belonged to my girlfriends dad and I mumbled at my shoes about "It was OK when I parked it"

They did a very minor tweak to the Ambassador (not that long before production stopped) & wood on the VDP became standard. Trim on other trim levels was also changed.

Well one wanky  wood strip above the glovebox became standard on VDP anyway..(see previous pic' )

On 1/22/2021 at 6:43 PM, Inspiral_Mondays said:

What are those 2 levers either side of the dash in line with the glovebox for?

They're the levers for the lower footwell vents, not the air vents seen in the picture. The Princess also had levers but they were hidden away under the dash. Lots of owners didn't know they were there and complained of cold feet in winter. It was a shit idea anyway!