MG Allegro, MG Princess etc.

RoadworkUK

12 hours ago, Madman Of The People said:

Jesus wept, that's horrible!

Worse, it's neither fish nor fowl; the idea behind cheap'n'cheerful virtual partsbin diving is to come up with something that could feasibly have been engineered with little or no sheetmetal changes as they cost shitloads. Altering the Landcrab into a RWD 2 door coupe would have been very expensive, rather silly and unlikely to sell, the daimler is an expensive engine made by another firm, as are the gearbox and rear suspension; if it is insisted upon then a truncated Landlobster would have better ride quality anyway and keep more of it inhouse, perhaps ditch the C series boat anchor for the E6 2.2 or even the australian stroked 2.6.

25 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Worse, it's neither fish nor fowl; the idea behind cheap'n'cheerful virtual partsbin diving is to come up with something that could feasibly have been engineered with little or no sheetmetal changes as they cost shitloads. Altering the Landcrab into a RWD 2 door coupe would have been very expensive, rather silly and unlikely to sell, the daimler is an expensive engine made by another firm, as are the gearbox and rear suspension; if it insisted on then a truncated Landlobster would have better ride quality anyway and keep more of it inhouse, perhaps ditch the C series boat anchor for the E6 2.2 or even the australian stroked 2.6.

Nearly as silly as wedging a Mustang engine into a Rover 75...... then actually selling them....😱

On 1/17/2021 at 9:00 PM, Shep Shepherd said:

Or an MG Ital  :mrgreen:

This. Marina Coupe shell, Ital front, Turbo’d A-plus. The perfect ingredients for the ultimate driving machine.

Actually, mild piss-taking aside, would that be such a bad car? Priced at the same level as, say, a 1.6 Capri, and with a bit of fettling to the suspension to make it vaguely sporty in feel, and it could have been the early ‘80s equivalent of a Rover Tomcat. All the ingredients were there, save for the suspension development (which could have been applied to the main Ital range anyway), so would it have been worth a roll of the dice for BL? It would have been no more outdated than a Capri really, and they sold healthily enough in the UK around that time. Stick a few trinkets like red seatbelts, alloys, and a decent stereo on it, and it wouldn’t have been entirely unappealing.

uedy0Fb.jpg

The cheap and cheerful MG Odelot on it's introduction in 1971.  These were nippy little parts-bin specials with the 1500 twin carb Midget / Spitfire engine. Lift-off hard-tops were available from MG dealers.

Most of these were built in left-hand-drive for the US market.  This Federalised 1974 model is from the final year of production as (to quote a MG spokesperson) 'rubber bumpers would have looked shite'.

pT2kL0D.jpg

Riin0xY.jpg

3 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

uedy0Fb.jpg

The cheap and cheerful MG Odelot on it's introduction in 1971.  These were nippy little parts-bin specials with the 1500 twin carb Spitfire engine. Lift-off hard-tops were available from MG dealers.

Most of these were built in left-hand-drive for the US market.  This Federalised 1974 model is from the final year of production as (to quote a MG spokesperson) 'rubber bumpers would have looked shite'.

pT2kL0D.jpg

Riin0xY.jpg

Nicely done, but you forgot to add the bit about it being launched as a FWD model, then converted to RWD for no apparent reason a few years later. 

More hamfisted studio HMC design work with the aid of a beer.

Allow me to introduce the MG clubman tourer. No cooper connection since 71. A royalty free route to a nastily Tarted up clubman to wring a couple more years out of the design. As per the vibe- get rid of the chrome, satin black here and there, a gaudy chin spoiler and if we are pushing the boat out a turbo’d 1275, and of course red seat belts. Warmed over leftovers for 1980

2270489A-677B-455B-ABFC-1122D628DF8D.thumb.jpeg.7ba153a44fe2f43a86a9fd93bec6bbe1.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Formula Autos said:

Nicely done, but you forgot to add the bit about it being launched as a FWD model, then converted to RWD for no apparent reason a few years later. 

The fixed top MG Odelot coupe continued in limited production until 1979, some were accidentally built as 4-wheel-drive and are now rare collectors' items.

28 minutes ago, HMC said:

More hamfisted studio HMC design work with the aid of a beer.

Allow me to introduce the MG clubman tourer. No cooper connection since 71. A royalty free route to a nastily Tarted up clubman to wring a couple more years out of the design. As per the vibe- get rid of the chrome, satin black here and there, a gaudy chin spoiler and if we are pushing the boat out a turbo’d 1275, and of course red seat belts. Warmed over leftovers for 1980

2270489A-677B-455B-ABFC-1122D628DF8D.thumb.jpeg.7ba153a44fe2f43a86a9fd93bec6bbe1.jpeg

The MG Clubman Tourer Turbo sounds interesting.  With MG Metro pepperpot wheels and red MG decals on the lower doors.  And two  dinky little spoiler wind-deflectors round the top of the rear door windows.  Oh yes !!!

In 1979 (and out of Michael edwardes steely gaze) a one off development mule combining freight rover capacity and MG performance lead to the MG EXPRESS mk1. for the tradesman going places FAST. Sadly the one off v8 engined model remained a covert design study but a tantalising* publicity photo survives

0CF8372A-9EDB-47D8-BB33-3CFFB4F087A6.thumb.jpeg.902b92bed5e0448b37fc1e224905ddbb.jpeg

These MG schemes are trying too hard and missing the point a bit. The important thing with an MG saloon is that it is different from the cheaper, cooking Morris or Austin version in NO significant way. Only the badge and price are different.

I had one of these. So sporty it didn’t even have a tachometer.

EE975D06-8D9F-4780-8B35-DA3BAFF89F70.thumb.jpeg.e814a88fae833488921c09c7a315e780.jpeg

2 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

The MG Clubman Tourer Turbo sounds interesting.  With MG Metro pepperpot wheels and red MG decals on the lower doors.  And two  dinky little spoiler wind-deflectors round the top of the rear door windows.  Oh yes !!!

When I owned a metro turbo, there was a bloke round the corner who has a shonkey looking clubman estate. 

It was Rednal, about 1/2 mile from.the Longbridge factory and most people did indeed work at the Austin. 

One day, I followed him through BARNT green to the M42 at Hopewood heading North East towards the M40 South or M42 North. I thought "I'll blast past him on the slip road" 

Then I thought "fuck that's noisy" 

Then I thought "fuck that's fast"

Then I thought "Christ I'm doing 100 mph and I can't keep up" 

He went off down the M40, and I suspect he had a secondment at Gaydon.  

God knows what engine But the car itself was a rusty piece of BL shite. 

On 1/17/2021 at 11:08 PM, Noel Tidybeard said:
On 1/17/2021 at 8:26 PM, colc said:

Drove one of these back in eighties..surprisingly capable...........Allegro Equipe. 1750 5 speed

images-2.jpeg

Expand  

that actually makes you a leg end

May I draw your attention to this mighty (wobbly) steed from my history.... 1750 Equipe, sprayed orange, then beheaded....

11258373_10207631602334064_3803974257159317208_n.jpg

On 1/19/2021 at 1:32 AM, OM646 said:

I tried to make this a thing, but ended up giving it the face of a MK2 Golf accidentally

image.thumb.png.82141cae508457ebdc205f5fa2dd4c0c.png

Note: To avoid confusion, I used the plate of the Land Rover that i bought brand new in 1987

Not bad but I don't think it works quite as well as the Allegro and Princess and the 1980s hot hatch style on the Maxi's dated 60s design looks a bit too much of a desperate last-ditch tarting up effort. Maybe something more seventies along the lines of the Dolomite Sprint would make a better MG Maxi - Rostyles, spotlights, vinyl roof, twin coachlines and bright yellow paint with a twin-carb 1750 under the bonnet.

4 hours ago, Asimo said:

These MG schemes are trying too hard and missing the point a bit. The important thing with an MG saloon is that it is different from the cheaper, cooking Morris or Austin version in NO significant way. Only the badge and price are different.

I had one of these. So sporty it didn’t even have a tachometer.

EE975D06-8D9F-4780-8B35-DA3BAFF89F70.thumb.jpeg.e814a88fae833488921c09c7a315e780.jpeg

I've just noticed the date on that.  It's the same age as me!