chaseracer

On 16/01/2021 at 10:59, brownnova said:

I cannot wait to see this in person! Swiss World meeting in the summer sir? 

Not a chance!  St. Dizier for the 2022 French National is a possibility, if @Stinkwheel's GSA isn't ready for the Citroen Heritage Rally we've signed up for.

On 31/01/2021 at 18:10, brownnova said:

Nah...  no need for paint. The best cars have character.

On 31/01/2021 at 19:03, bezzabsa said:

AGREE DO NOT PAINT...

for more wotthefukkwazzat hilarity

On 31/01/2021 at 19:34, hairnet said:

scruffy as fuk

fast as fuk (relative)

daft as fuk

and legal is all you need

3 hours ago, Volksy said:

I'm with the 'Do Not Paint' crew. Just looks like most Dyanes from my yoof!

3 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I agree with others in the 'do not paint'. Then you could win the 'mismatched panel colour' thread. A grade one winnah in shiteland. 

WILL NOT PAINT 

😁

On 02/02/2021 at 19:32, chaseracer said:

WILL NOT PAINT 

😁

So, obviously, today I bought paint.

But panic not, friends!  I have etch primer, plus 2x 400ml aerosols each of AC639 bleu lagune and AC333 jaune mimosa - there are localised repairs to be getting on with before the Dyane heads for the wilds of Herefordshire.

Hope it stops raining soon...

• chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: avec peinture dans la coffre!
  • chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: MERDE, c'est froid, hein?
  • chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: un peu plus de peinture
  • chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: bit more progress...

That car was so much fun, but also so relaxing when you actually resisted the upper echalons of rev range. Very tempted to go that route myself, but I'm quite enjoying the 652 now Sparrow has sorted out the carb. Still not cheap, but then a 652 isn't cheap by the time Sparrow has built it properly, and I think I'd feel short-changed if I hadn't gone for the 720. As it is, I built the 652 myself, and Sparrow just sorted the carb, so I'm happy enough.

A coat or three of AC333 has been applied to the top half of the new* door before the equally new* window seal goes in, with the original glass.

image.png

While that was drying, I cleaned up the 'spare' roof a bit; only soap & water so far, but it made quite a difference.

image.png

• chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: not so mellow yellow...
  • chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: things are happening...

Spoke with Mr Sparrow today.  

On my way to a very overdue 'support bubble' visit to the ageing parentals on Monday, I'll be visiting him to:

1. Drop off a set of 2CV suspension arms to be modified for the racer;
2. Chat about a worklist for the Dyane and agree a start date;
3. Have a squirt in the 720cc car @Dollywobbler drove in the earlier video, just to convince* myself it's a good idea;
4. Deliver my 'spare' engine to be turned into a hi-po rocket motor (capacity TBC) because of course it's a good idea/it's only money/YOLO/etc.;
5. Grin stupidly for the rest of the day.

😁

That "fast" 2CV is clearly a lot quicker, but I guess everything is relative: as far as I could see, it has a 0-60 time of something like 18-20 seconds.  What on earth is the time-to-60 for a standard 2CV?

I'm guessing sidewinder conversions are getting a bit difficult these days due to the significant lack of/increase in price of GS(A) parts.  I wonder what other flat engines would fit on a 2CV chassis that aren't six large.

Would it be absolutely wrong to fit something water cooled? 

26 minutes ago, Talbot said:

That "fast" 2CV is clearly a lot quicker, but I guess everything is relative: as far as I could see, it has a 0-60 time of something like 18-20 seconds.  What on earth is the time-to-60 for a standard 2CV?

I'm guessing sidewinder conversions are getting a bit difficult these days due to the significant lack of/increase in price of GS(A) parts.  I wonder what other flat engines would fit on a 2CV chassis that aren't six large.

Would it be absolutely wrong to fit something water cooled? 

31 seconds.

In his youth, Pete built an Ami service van with a 1500 Alfa boxer.

3 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

31 seconds.

In his youth, Pete built an Ami service van with a 1500 Alfa boxer.

A:  Really?!? my god that's glacial.  Do you get overtaken by wildlife?

B:  An alfa boxer was one I considered, although they are now getting quite hard to come by too.  Probably harder to find than a GS flat-four as pretty much every single Alfasud/33 has been recycled by now.  Shame, as it's a cracking engine.  I was thinking maybe a subaru flat-4 with the appropriate gearbox.  Might be quite* fast.

Scooby's a good shout, but packaging would be 'interesting'.  

The current engine in my Dyane is the original, rebuilt with great care in 2003 by the principal of our little racing team.  It's a bit quicker than the norm, as @Stinkwheel will confirm.  However, this is MY midlife crisis, and I'm going to enjoy it! 😎

The BMW-powered ones are hilarious fun, but I found the 720 an ideal compromise. He's managing to get over 50bhp out of them now. What really impressed with the 720 is that it DIDN'T beg you to thrash it all of the time. There's a really nice, flat torque curve which makes it massively more relaxing to drive than a standard 2CV, or even my 652. There's also the advantage that it's fundamentally a stock engine, apart from barrels, pistons and carb. If you have problems on the road, it's going to be relatively easy to fix. Friends have had issues breaking down in BMW-powered 2CVs because no-one has the faintest idea what to do with them.

Also, with the BMW engine, it really doesn't even start to wake up until the silly side of 6000rpm, so while you do get torque, there is always a desire to really get the thing revving. They are utterly hilarious to drive, but would I want to live with one? I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

VW flat 4?

These are no longer the £100 they used to be due to rarity and "seen tacks".  Also, (IMO) a fairly terrible engine.

Unfortunatley the layout of a 2cv severely limits the engine options  FWD cars with a transaxle and a flat engine are not exactly common.

I'm assuming in a sidewinder conversion, the GS(A) gearbox is used too.  How much torque can you shove through a 2CV/Dyane gearbag before it spits all it's oil out (along with some teeth and a few bearings)?

27 minutes ago, Talbot said:

How much torque can you shove through a 2CV/Dyane gearbag before it spits all it's oil out (along with some teeth and a few bearings)?

I think they are actually surprisingly durable 

I think the BMW conversions still use a stock gearbox 

at least these 2 use a stock or near stock gearbox for what thats worth!

Just now, LightBulbFun said:

I think the BMW conversions still use a stock gearbox 

I suspect that's mainly because the BMW bike engine in question doesn't actually make that much torque.  It's power is all up in the 6k+ rpm area, meaning it although the headline power figure is probably quite impressive, the torque figure is really low (in car terms).  It's part of the reason why a motorcycle can get away with a far smaller gearbox for it's 50bhp than a car with 50bhp can.