Portuguese spotting thread

OM646

So, I'm from Portugal, and here cars don't rust, and are worth far more than they do in other countries. So i thought I'd take some pics to cars i find here and share.

This Rover 45 1.4 Kettle Series, in a university parking lot, represents the situation with MGR cars here. There's still a shockingly high amount of them on the road. Many people scooped them up and threw MLS gaskets at them, and there are many giving good service to their owners.1225263445_IMG_20210107_1611133.thumb.jpg.c27cb00b3fbbf9a2f150676a70c8d280.jpg

Two years ago, i spotted this in a local market, a beautiful 1980 Mazda 929. And not a trailer queen, it was doing daily duties. In fact, i see it from time to time. It's pretty much rust free.

Imagem

Note the rear. Save from the missing "929" badge, it's in beautiful condition

Imagem

Pre-lockdown was the best time for spotting chod, I see.  Apologies for the potatocam quality, here is a Fiorino pickup with a straight body, even tho the paintjob was pretty knackered (bad thing about Portuguese chod. Pink cars that used to be red and lacquer peel are really common.

(Note another MGR product in the background, almost certainly Kettle series, and my lacquer-less Aldi in the foreground)

Imagem

12 hours ago, OM646 said:

Two years ago, i spotted this in a local market, a beautiful 1980 Mazda 929. And not a trailer queen, it was doing daily duties. In fact, i see it from time to time. It's pretty much rust free.

Imagem

Note the rear. Save from the missing "929" badge, it's in beautiful condition

Imagem

clean old land ship

1 hour ago, OM646 said:

Pre-lockdown was the best time for spotting chod, I see.  Apologies for the potatocam quality, here is a Fiorino pickup with a straight body, even tho the paintjob was pretty knackered (bad thing about Portuguese chod. Pink cars that used to be red and lacquer peel are really common.

(Note another MGR product in the background, almost certainly Kettle series, and my lacquer-less Aldi in the foreground)

Imagem

I’d happily swap English drizzle, frost, salt and rust for Portugese sunshine, pogweasel-pink and lacquer peel.

1 hour ago, barrett said:

Eugh. It was minus 1 here yesterday, and just seeing these photos has me yearning for a nice cold glass of Super Bock and a francesinha...

Always great for vacation!

Lately the mornings have been pretty frosty (minus 4 today by 7AM), despite getting quite nice as it reaches noon :|

IMG_20210108_071553.thumb.jpg.693150e283cf6a9aa7b2e8ad74787f48.jpg

3 hours ago, tul66 said:

Easy enough for you to retire there seeing as we're part of the ..................oh hang on!!!!🙄

There are actually a bit of British living in the south of the country! 

36 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I was in Sines last June, because it’s not a tourist area you see more old chod. There were loads of Mk3 Transits. 

Curiously as I read this, a MK4 Transit in decent condition stopped in front of me, even though I couldn't get the shot. Many people still run those Transits, MK3 and 4 because the 2.5DI is unkillable, and they're generally not that rusty, even though they can be quite knackered at times. 

Us, the Portuguese, can also recognize the sound of an old Transit more than any other vehicle on the road! 

4 hours ago, tul66 said:

Easy enough for you to retire there seeing as we're part of the ..................oh hang on!!!!🙄

Luckily Portugal is one of the few places that doesn't seem too difficult to move to, even after the Terrible Event. My missus is really pushing for us to uproot and move there full time but I'm not sure I'm brave enough. Lovely place though.

26 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Didn’t get a picture but saw a restored Range Rover Classic owned by my friends brother in law. Like a lot of surviving old cars there it was diesel, a 2.4 VM in this case. 

Most Landies and RRs in Portugal are diesel, in fact. Also, the P38 was supposed to only get the base "2.5 DT" version, but demand was so high that they started bringing the DSE too, with the BMW i6 TDS engine, I remember reading it in an old (dated 1997) off-road magazine 

12 minutes ago, barrett said:

Luckily Portugal is one of the few places that doesn't seem too difficult to move to, even after the Terrible Event. My missus is really pushing for us to uproot and move there full time but I'm not sure I'm brave enough. Lovely place though.

I also think it will still be easy to move, and pretty sure you'd do fine!

31 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Rover 414 and a battered Punto cabriolet in Sines

417AF143-ACD1-4E0D-910B-530CFC3E25E7.jpeg

54E202CC-0F6E-4673-8410-DB7AE4618AD4.jpeg

R8 were everywhere when I was a kid, especially the hatchbacks... Rover enjoyed a very good image right until the late 90s. A family member owns one of the first 75's in the country, a CDT built in 1999.

I can still see the occasional SD3 on the road, hoping I can spot one soon

1995 plated Rover R8 214SLI in "a daily driver that was taken care of" condition.

Also, SLis were never very common here, where the 214Si sold the bulk of R8s.

755736454_IMG_20210113_1155113.thumb.jpg.44c58b970e21c55833ca4ff551be9af4.jpg

Also, there seems to be an MG Express here in the area, but I don't know if it's factory built. Can anyone here tell me if the Express was available with rear side windows? Or was it paneled-only?

2 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

I remember when I visited Portugal in 2009 there was still a lot of 1980s cars in everyday use,

80's cars have mostly faded by now, unfortunately. 

90's cars are still plentiful though... When i can get some progress on my Aldi i might start a thread on it

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Great to still see these cars on the road.

I've only been to Portugal once, in 1995 and I remember expecting to see a similar type of chod to the Balearics, such as 70s Renaults and Citroen's. 

I was therefore surprised to see quite a lot of Datsuns, especially 120Ys and not that many European cars.

A guy living close to me has two vintage Mazdas, one of them being an 808 coupe, i absolutely need to take a pic of them 

2 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I remember seeing quite a few, including a pre-facelift 21 with yellow headlights that was probably a second hand import from France.

Yes, almost surely a second-hand import. Very common, both my cars are second hand imports. 

'93 Aldi imported in 2000,

'06 Benz imported in 2007, both from Germany

Family also used to have a first-year W123, blue with blue cloth, imported in '86 from france (yellow headlights for the win!)