New Year Resolution Cars?

TrabbieRonnie

23 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

Think you should be directing this at the Blonde Cockwomble. The whole ULEZ thing is being rolled out nationally. 

God help you if you're in Bristol, they're banning diesels outright there, and I don't think Khan controls Bristol!

it's more the north/south circular extension which Khan is bringing in which is the problem, or at least that's my problem

20 minutes ago, LeahStornes said:

Wouldn't bet on it - he's in his 90s but fitter than me :) No need to drive when he can walk to the village shops, post office, pub etc. He might even outlive me the way he is going.  

Go him! Don't we all want to be fit and healthy in later life!

I’ve long had a dream, maybe 2021 is the year to do it...

I want to buy a tiny flat in Northern Italy, and stash a scabby Alfa there, and just fly over for weekends of charging up and down hills like a maniac. Bergamo province, or maybe Imperia, and a U.K. plated Alfa 145. Good local food, great wine, nice people, carefree driving. Maybe rent the place out to like-minded mates.

Someone tell me why not...

3008 needs coils and plugs as evidenced by a 5k rpm hesitation and an occasional misfire when coming from no to partial throttle on the Motorway so that's the first goal of 2021!

Might treat it to a proper wash and ceramic coat it as well.

The next goal for 2021 was to pick up a Jaguar XFS Portfolio next Saturday, to replace our 308 with. But it looks like lockdown has put that on hold, so who knows when it will get picked up now!

Then I need to clear out all the car stuff in my garage as its out of hand, a spare S60 boot lid, Porsche 924 wheel with brand new original Toyota Tyre, 2 sets of S60 wheels, a S60 exhaust, instrument cluster, window blinds, a load of S60 suspension bits, S60 speakers and amplifier and fook knows what else and then I'll be done for a while hopefully.

Not sure when I'll get time for any of this mind 😂

8 hours ago, motorpunk said:

want to buy a tiny flat in Northern Italy, and stash a scabby Alfa there, and just fly over for weekends of charging up and down hills like a maniac. Bergamo province, or maybe Imperia, and a U.K. plated Alfa 145. Good local food, great wine, nice people, carefree driving. Maybe rent the place out to like-minded mates.

Because we aren't allowed out without isolating for 10 days and then not allowed back in again without isolating...

Apart from that it sounds fantastic!!!

If Honda decide to launch the CT125 in the UK with a decent % deal then I'll beat a path to the dealers door - but so far they have been very quiet about it ( I suspect it would take sales from the Grom, a new version is launched this year also).

ct125-hunter-cub.jpg

Last year I somehow managed to get my extension done, despite every single impediment under the sun being thrown at me, not least of which the bank losing the entire loan amount during the transfer process and then claiming that they'd hadn't which delayed me for a year (this was in 2018). Anyway this now frees me up to do some car stuff.

The only car I really really want is an Opel Kadett C Coupe. Unfortunately these were never big sellers in the UK, they went out of production around the same time that Spandau Ballet were getting started and I imagine spares availability is a bit variable. I think a visit to Germany when the pandemic cools off may be on the cards.

My much derided Cashcow is still doing sterling service being a car so I'm going to keep that for the forseeable. My Speed Triple is lurking in my shed taking up space (the cover got damaged in last years storms). I have bought a new back tyre to fit so I can MoT it, the old one is legal but very squared off and nasty to ride on. The movement of the wiring to the controls seems a bit restricted at full lock after I adjusted the bars so I might look at that too, or even fit clip ons (still don't like straight bars)

In the meantime I will stop using my Land Rover (yes the Bawl Bag one) which has been towing my digger, taking rubble to the tip and doing other menial tasks, so I can dismantle it and do a few jobs. The chassis has a few holes, especially around the rear crossmember, although the structure was sound enough to withstand dragging a Toyota Hilux out of a ditch (the smug was strong that day my friend). The bulkhead also needs a bit of none structural patching. I also plan to rewire it, refit the sill panels and respray it. To this end I'm planning to buy a decent Mig and get my mate (ex bodyshop repairman) to show me how to use it. This will be a slippery slope ending in me filling the driveway with rotted out Capris that I've bought intending to fix up. I had considered fitting a V8 but I have yet to see a really well engineered Series Land Rover conversion, people always do them on the cheap or cut corners so you end up with loads of spaghetti wiring or big lumps hacked out of the bodywork. You also need a specific engine, some have a protruding 'nose' on the crank which won't clear the radiator on mine.

My digger is in the process of having the control linkages remade to reduce the slop in the controls which I'm going to do with that metal putty stuff. I'll also replace the slew pin (5 minute job) and grease the track rollers. 

I'm fortunate that I already have several cars I really want sitting in the drive.  They're just not in a great state of repair right now.  So new year's resolutions are:

Get Cortina MOT'd and used for the summer.

Get Sierra MOT'd and then work out the details of the engine conversion.

Get Mustang MOT'd and sort out the bodywork.

Only other resolution is not to buy anything else...

2 hours ago, cort1977 said:

I'm fortunate that I already have several cars I really want sitting in the drive.  They're just not in a great state of repair right now.  So new year's resolutions are:

Get Cortina MOT'd and used for the summer.

Get Sierra MOT'd and then work out the details of the engine conversion.

Get Mustang MOT'd and sort out the bodywork.

Only other resolution is not to buy anything else...

Should read "... Not to buy any more Fords but maybe something else might get bought..."

Realistically I'm unlikely to be in a position to buy another Car this year because of funds.

But there a rather sad looking Beige Vauxhall Chevette 2dr nearby, which I wouldn't mind rescuing. 

Although if I could get another 80's / early 90's Fiat, Uno / Tipo MK1 would be nice. Or a Talbot Samba as had one for my first car. 

A) get the Nova project done and back on the road.

B ) Id like to try a V8 or V6, and/or a 4x4 and/or a Jag and/or a Rover at some point this year. 

C) Get the MX5 fixed and back on the road. 

I actually think c will happen first... 

On 1/4/2021 at 10:54 PM, motorpunk said:

I’ve long had a dream, maybe 2021 is the year to do it...

I want to buy a tiny flat in Northern Italy, and stash a scabby Alfa there, and just fly over for weekends of charging up and down hills like a maniac. Bergamo province, or maybe Imperia, and a U.K. plated Alfa 145. Good local food, great wine, nice people, carefree driving. Maybe rent the place out to like-minded mates.

Going to have to let you down there. I think that's a good idea and you should definatly do it 😉