The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Please please let Steve Wright be next.

Along with Chris Evans, Vanessa Phelps (sic) and the rest of Radio 2. Steve Wright is still doing the same shit he did on Radio 1 and hndred years ago. I am subjected to Radio 2 when on early shift by the bint on the same shift as me who is 25 years younger than me! Radio 6 FTW or Planet Rock or Kerrang

Please please let Steve Wright be next.

Along with Chris Evans, Vanessa Phelps (sic) and the rest of Radio 2. Steve Wright is still doing the same shit he did on Radio 1 and hndred years ago. I am subjected to Radio 2 when on early shift by the bint on the same shift as me who is 25 years younger than me! Radio 6 FTW or Planet Rock or Kerrang

I really don't have too much of a problem with Steve Wright. I can't stand Vanessa Felch though.

A bonus day for me is having a vehicle with an aux socket so I can listen to internet radio via Android.

Radio is on the whole toss.

The hippy at work behind me had various stations on all day until he was moved 6 benches away so I have a bit of a rest from the inane drivel and repetition day in day out. :mrgreen:

I used to listen to Talk Sport before it was Talk Sport, Fisherman's Blues etc, (never been fishing in my life though), and now will have the 80's version of some station on DAB when the "knobjockeys" aren't on it and I think it's maybe BBC Radio 4 Extra or something when I'm trying to get to sleep. :lol:

The screw is at the bottom of a 15cm deep hole in the bracket and I don't have an allen key long enough
If you haven't managed this yet, can I suggest cutting the bend off the allen key then using the correct socket & extension bar on the allen key to get it done if there's enough clearance for the socket? Failing that, weld a long bolt onto the remains of the allen key?

The hole is too small for anything thicker than an allen key - even the 1/4 drive sockets won't go in. I did solve it though in true autoshite style.... I found an oil pump drive (I think it's out of one of autofive's essex engines) that happens to be almost exactly the same size as a 6mm allen key and long enough to reach. I fitted a 3/8 drive socket end to it (a broken snap-on pozidrive bit donated the socket) and it's finally out and the bracket is removed. I still haven't found a replacement tensioner yet (it's a DW8 1900 diesel, not a HDi, and the bracket/tensioner seems to be unique to the 206).

Also, I took the timing belt cover off today - there are bits of string (from the aux belt) wound around the inside of the pulleys, the belt is way too slack and looks knackered too, so the job just got bigger and more expensive.

I didn't mind Moyles when he was on the afternoon slot all those years ago but since he's been on the breakfast show slot he's ego has got bigger and bigger, I won't listen anymore, The facebook page from Radio 1 this afternoon has been full of people moaning about him going and how they wouldn't listen to R1 anymore, I bet do still though.

I can't stand him on TV neither, a friend of mine was on that Love Machine tv show with him, I couldn't watch any of it without wanting to punch the TV, The best "comedy" radio broadcaster there's been are Mark and Lard, You'll never see radio talent like that again.

The best "comedy" radio broadcaster there's been are Mark and Lard, You'll never see radio talent like that again.

See, I never could get used to them in the daytime slots. I spent some very formative years listening to the Graveyard Shift (just after Peel, which was just after the Evening Session, bloody hell the programmers actually gave a shit back then...) and they never sounded quite at home in the morning or afternoon, when they had to curb the humour and re-edit their 'cover songs' for offended ears. Still miles better than whatever turds they have on now, mind. Can't actually remember the last time I listened to R1 for longer than 10 seconds tbh.

The last time I paid enough attention to who the DJ on a radio show was, it was the Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance.

Do normal people still listen to the radio, Radio 1 in particular? Any time I've had it inflicted on me over the last few years it's been utter toss.

The last time I paid enough attention to who the DJ on a radio show was, it was the Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance.

Do normal people still listen to the radio, Radio 1 in particular? Any time I've had it inflicted on me over the last few years it's been utter toss.

Seven million tossers listen to this tosser!

French Misery

Sorry! :oops:

Hey, it could be worse... it could have taken the timing belt out when the aux belt went and wrecked itself. Or it could have snapped the (13,000 miles overdue) timing belt pretty much anytime it felt like it. Or maybe the ancient oil could have wrecked the bottom end ending in a thrown conrod, or buggering up a cam bearing leading to another possible cambelt failure. Hell, that puddle the other week could have hydro locked the engine because of the bumper level split in the cold air intake pipe.

On the other hand, if it did any of those things I wouldn't be fixing it. I'd probably be selling you a skoda instead. I did have to chuckle when she asked if all this work would make it drive any nicer, but unfortunatly the total lack of power, vibration and frequent gearchanging are all part of the fun* of a diesel car.

Steve Wright used to OK when he was on Radio 1 in the early 90's (when I first started working in an office), but he tends to suck up to any of the mediocre guests he has interviewing on. He's alright otherwise. Never listened to Radio 1 recently, they're actually getting rid of Moyles as they want to lower the age range of listeners! 'lol'. Chris Evans in the morning has that same irritability Steve Wright has.

5 Live only for me.

Would listen to Radio 6 but don't have a DAB radio & don't listen to radio on my laptop (Except Test Match Special) as I don't have decent speakers.

+1, first thing I check when I'm looking at buying a car is if you can get R4 longwave..................it's the little things.....Always found a scoot through of pre set channels a good indication of a seller's moral fibre!

they're actually getting rid of Moyles as they want to lower the age range of listeners!

*spluffs tea*

How, exactly, can the age range get any lower? The last time I listened to R1 at any length (not through choice mind) was probably a year ago, and it already sounded like it was being aimed at mentally retarded 8-year-olds. Seriously, I can remember Newsround on CBBC being considerably less patronising and simplistic than R1's news bulletins, where they feel the need to carefully explain concepts like 'money' and 'crime' to listeners. I know that there are plenty of mouth-breathers who might like that kind of approach, but there always have been, and suddenly pandering to their weed-fogged mental states hardly makes sense.

MrDuke, it's because the BBC is publicly funded and each station's set targets for age ranges they should be catering for. Radio 1 is for 23-29 years old as far as the BBC is concerned but the average listener age is 31.

Because the BBC is the BBC, radio 1 could have 20 million 31 year old listeners and not be happy.

My new car has DAB and it's excellent. 6 music, 5 live, XFM + a load of other stuff not available on analogue in Scotchland.

There is one person I hate more than that Moyles bloke on the radio and I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned him yet: Jeremy Vine. As soon as he's got anything to do with any television programme or radio programme I'm flying across the room to hit the Off button at superhuman speed. The very mention of his name makes my teeth itch and should I ever be unfortunate enough to meet him, I suspect I shall be unable to hold myself back from hurling abuse or possible my own poo at him.

Oh, I understand the need for target ranges etc, and maybe around 10+ years ago that would've made total sense. I just don't see how they can imagine that R1 is appealing to anyone over school-age as it is. I'm not that far outside their target range, and completely aside from whatever actual music they play, I find it painfully infantile to listen to. I wonder how they get their listener statistics - maybe warehouses/factories full of 30-somethings who have no choice are counting towards the total.

It shouldn't annoy me really, all I ever have on in the house is R4, but like you say it is publicly-funded. I don't mind paying for a TV channel that shows plenty of tripe but some really decent programs as well, but I do kinda object to paying for a station that airs 24 hours of utter toss and pays huge salaries to complete nobs as well.

but I do kinda object to paying for a station that airs 24 hours of utter toss and pays huge salaries to complete nobs as well.

This is what I think too. I've never listened to R1 and R2 has some crap on it too but I like some of the music, so R2 it is, just have to put up with the likes of Evans, Wright and Vine.

There is one person I hate more than that Moyles bloke on the radio and I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned him yet: Jeremy Vine. As soon as he's got anything to do with any television programme or radio programme I'm flying across the room to hit the Off button at superhuman speed. The very mention of his name makes my teeth itch and should I ever be unfortunate enough to meet him, I suspect I shall be unable to hold myself back from hurling abuse or possible my own poo at him.

JV is brilliant, do you not remember his election day coverage? :D

ElectionOldNew3-600x371.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-18811644

"For men, this includes wearing a business suit and tie at all times, no earrings, no unkempt hair and no beards, except in circumstances where they have a religious meaning or a medical reason."

:|

I'm going to grow a beard and apply for a job, after starting the "Church of allergic reactions to none beardyness"..

The first line on their "employee traits" page:

In all honesty, there’s nothing set in stone as to what an Enterprise employee should or shouldn’t look like.

:roll:

+1 - the man makes me almost explode with rage every single time I hear his name and/or voice, to the point I even switch Ken Bruce off at 11.25 just in case he comes on a couple of minutes early to do his show preview. The only other person who has this effect on me is Jimmy Carr who I fear I wouldn't be able to stop stabbing should I ever have the chance to start.

When I worked for Go-Ahead their policy was that you could either have a beard or be clean shaven, but not at any time whilst working be "in the process of growing a beard". It was in the employee handbook and everything.

After several tellings-off about my unkempt appearance, I took a fortnight off on holiday purely to grow a beard.

I think Enterprise is owned by Mormons or similar. As for the suit, no tattoos etc rule, I think that's fair enough. I'm no fan of tatts and if I were hiring someone to represent my company and there was a choice between two equally talented applicants one with and one without tattoos then I would choose the one without. Personal thing, but I just don't like visible tattoos on people who are meant to be looking smart.

I really don't 'get' the whole tattoo thing.

Enterprise is owned by morons, not Mormons. Tattoos are no bad thing these days, though I'd never have one on my neck or face. When I worked for a tyre company I used to start growing a beard every few months because one or two jobs we did demanded you couldn't come in to their premises with one. These jobs were crap and in a fairly dangerous environment hence giving them a swerve.