Jump to content

The grumpy thread


outlaw118

Recommended Posts

What is it with plumbers?

We've had one coming to fit new rads for about 3 weeks. Last week the new ones apparently turned up "damaged"

Then I got a call he could do this Wednesday, then a text saying 08:30 today.

Has he turned up?

No.

I won't mention the plumbers who we try to corral to service our boiler.

Say you want a new boiler though and they're falling over themselves to get here..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/01/2024 at 22:19, High Jetter said:

He wants to move there, tho..

 

They are going to.have a shock when "Travellers" move in next door then.

The best thing about moving is winding up your new neighbours even before you move in, putting them on the back foot for months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mums 107 is leaking like a sieve. (Common fault)

 

The rear light "staples" both broken (not by me) and it's £25 each. So that ain't happening.

Rear bumper torx fucked....

Picked up the rear light and it shattered.

 

Had to order a box of random clips from Amazon as they all had to be side-cut off.

IMG_1890.jpeg

 

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/01/2024 at 12:50, barefoot said:

I've just been to a funeral, a chap called Graham Barrett.

I'm fucked if I know who he was because I went to the right place, at the right time but on the wrong day. It's not really good form to walk out halfway through is it? So I had to meet the family, do the old friend from school bollocks and say what a nice service it had been. Bizarrely not one single mourner mentioned my total lack of foot wear.

Back again tomorrow then...

 

 

Did you go to the wake for a free buffet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fitting a nice new ssd a friend gave me I fucked up and deleted the partitions of my other 2 drives 😭

Seems it's probably recoverable but I've lost the last 2 months of work and YouTube videos I've filmed if it doesn't. 

Any recommendations? I've found Disk Drill 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Met my stepdad for lunch and I'd confidently been telling him I could diagnose his Focus dodgy heater with my Forscan tool, but my ELM327 has self destructed so no dice.

Annoying. 

I've been busting a gut with work this week then I get a call 4.30 telling me I've done it wrong. Fine, I can fix it, but the people telling me I did it wrong were the ones I phoned yesterday for help AND THEY DIDN'T RESPOND. 

Just feel like the whipping boy sometimes. I need to speak up but I'm too passive about it.

Annoying. 

Then to top it off, I ordered a pizza using Just Eat for me and Boy Grogee. The 'deal' was a BOGOF one so I thought I was getting four pizzas, but only two turned up - I think I must have ordered it wrong. Obviously I don't need four pizzas but it's nice to have the leftovers option over the weekend. 

So that was £34 badly spent. 

Annoying. 

Hope the rest of the weekend improves... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

They don't all they want is students , they soon be screaming the city centre is dead.

Most people I know haven't been down town in years as there's nothing there.

They don’t want any cars in any city tbh & more to the point wtf would you want to drive into a city anyway? It’s fuckin horrible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a meeting in town earlier, and came back in the dark.  Well first grump: while sitting in the car park waiting for the suspension to pump up, there was a row of cars facing me and they were all joyless 21st century blobs.

Second grump: at least three of them made a point of getting in my way as I tried to leave the car park.

Third grump: this pattern continued all the way home, with cars and pedestrians hurling themselves into my path at every opportunity.

I mean... have I missed a memo?  Is today "National Kill Yourself On The Road" Day?  Never mind that the trip took me twice as long as it should.  Never mind that every time I decided to turn into a side road, there was at least one car blocking it.

 

Further grump: the longer I live, the more convinced I am that I'm the little boy in the story of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Fitting a nice new ssd a friend gave me I fucked up and deleted the partitions of my other 2 drives 😭

Seems it's probably recoverable but I've lost the last 2 months of work and YouTube videos I've filmed if it doesn't. 

Any recommendations? I've found Disk Drill 

 

thats one one of my worst nightmares! first thing I would do if you can is unplug the 2 drives you formatted, as long as it was not a low level format, i'd like to think the data is recoverable, since its not been physically over written yet (hence why you want to unplug em)

as for recovering the data itself, im not sure what is best these days, perhaps worth asking in the computershite thread or starting a dedicated ask a shitter thread?

 

forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs here I know you are generally tech savvy :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Second grump: at least three of them made a point of getting in my way as I tried to leave the car park.

Third grump: this pattern continued all the way home, with cars and pedestrians hurling themselves into my path at every opportunity.

I mean... have I missed a memo?  Is today "National Kill Yourself On The Road" Day?  Never mind that the trip took me twice as long as it should.  Never mind that every time I decided to turn into a side road, there was at least one car blocking it.

I never realised you moved to Central London :mrgreen:

 

the "best" ones are peds in completely dark clothing, at night of course...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, iainrcz said:

What is it with plumbers?

We've had one coming to fit new rads for about 3 weeks. Last week the new ones apparently turned up "damaged"

Then I got a call he could do this Wednesday, then a text saying 08:30 today.

Has he turned up?

No.

I won't mention the plumbers who we try to corral to service our boiler.

Say you want a new boiler though and they're falling over themselves to get here..

Ah, the Mrs rang him and Friday 2nd Feb means Friday 9th Feb.

Ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

thats one one of my worst nightmares! first thing I would do if you can is unplug the 2 drives you formatted, as long as it was not a low level format, i'd like to think the data is recoverable, since its not been physically over written yet (hence why you want to unplug em)

as for recovering the data itself, im not sure what is best these days, perhaps worth asking in the computershite thread or starting a dedicated ask a shitter thread?

 

forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs here I know you are generally tech savvy :)

Yep it's one of my nightmares too and it came true yesterday 😂

Tried a few free trials of stuff, Partition Magic found the stuff but I couldn't recover from the trial, so I hit reddit and found something called DMDE which worked! It's only folder by folder in the free tier but all videos restored! Will go through the rest of the drives later, or pay for £16 for a year and be able to do multiple folders at once rather than folder by folder. 

Turned a nice quick reinstall into a long job, but could be worse! I don't even need the flipping drives really, once their backed up they could go.l but my case is so big they don't need to... 😂

I did unplug everything in the end 

IMG20240202211928.thumb.jpg.e9397bb07fa90db7618713710e8409ed.jpg

But only after I'd deleted the drives 😂 I'm so used to flattening oem drives with no care I merrily deleted the partitions. Then went to set the new partitions on the new drive (300gb windows 1.4tb another) and went "why do I still have a 2tb partition? Oh fuck that's not a partition". I should have realised 2 steps before but never mind, all sorted now 🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to visit the inlaws last night  which required a quick jaunt down the M6/M5 getting on there was a Mk7 Civic in front of us, went all the way down the slip road at 30mph on a free flowing motorway then braked joining the main carriageway, M6/M5 junction, travelling along at 60 in lane 1, car in front swerves out sharply to L2 and I find a Passat estate in front of me with its hazards on and I think occupants must still have been in the car. managed to get into lane 2 but was close, got SmollFL to ring 999 and get a closure put on the lane amd get someone out to them.

On the way back at one point lanes 1 & 2 closed, to be fair signage wasn't great and traffic still running at 70 but got to the end of the tapered cones at the closure point and there is a golf stopped in lane 2 with its nose almost touching a cone' having been completely oblivious to the fact the lane they were in was closing, he was now trying to pull into a line of cars and trucks in lane 3 from a standing start..

How none of these idiots has not killed someone / been killed is a miracle...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/01/2024 at 19:03, eddyramrod said:

Well fuck streaming, how old am I?  15?  NO, ffs, I'm 65 (in April)

Our neighbour who is helping sort out floor is 65.

 

PXL_20240201_190931141.thumb.jpg.8d17acda6332ae41ea4413941f4d18dc.jpg

He's done a fair amount of digging already, yesterday after he finished I gave him a hand sorting his gutters, and then we spent 15 minutes looking for the best deals for him for Spotify / Amazon music / YouTube music.  Then he set up a VPN to see if the prices would be lower in different countries 👀

 

You can change to streaming if you want to Eddy.  You don't have to, but it does make listening to most music a lot easier and it is far superior for driving.  Not sure you can say it's only for teenagers though.  Even I am closer to you age than to a 15 year old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, loserone said:

Our neighbour who is helping sort out floor is 65.

He's done a fair amount of digging already, yesterday after he finished I gave him a hand sorting his gutters, and then we spent 15 minutes looking for the best deals for him for Spotify / Amazon music / YouTube music.  Then he set up a VPN to see if the prices would be lower in different countries 👀

YouTube Music Vanced, most of the features of the paid version but for free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Yep it's one of my nightmares too and it came true yesterday 😂

Tried a few free trials of stuff, Partition Magic found the stuff but I couldn't recover from the trial, so I hit reddit and found something called DMDE which worked! It's only folder by folder in the free tier but all videos restored! Will go through the rest of the drives later, or pay for £16 for a year and be able to do multiple folders at once rather than folder by folder. 

Turned a nice quick reinstall into a long job, but could be worse! I don't even need the flipping drives really, once their backed up they could go.l but my case is so big they don't need to... 😂

I did unplug everything in the end 

IMG20240202211928.thumb.jpg.e9397bb07fa90db7618713710e8409ed.jpg

But only after I'd deleted the drives 😂 I'm so used to flattening oem drives with no care I merrily deleted the partitions. Then went to set the new partitions on the new drive (300gb windows 1.4tb another) and went "why do I still have a 2tb partition? Oh fuck that's not a partition". I should have realised 2 steps before but never mind, all sorted now 🤞

R-Studio I think was the package that allowed me to successfully recover about 75% of my data back in 2007 when Windows XP nuked itself and the FAT while trying to install a service pack.  That was a "sector-by-sector try to string bits of the files back together" job though which took days to run!  That was the point at which I realised I'd been a bit lazy in my backup regime.

These days I have a physically separate drive with a backup of my home folder on which is synced once every week via rsync, and an external drive which has the same but is physically unplugged except for when a backup is being performed.  Plus all my photos are backed up to Google photos as well - as that's probably the most important thing to me these days as family memories are in there and you can't replace those.

A few "I'd be properly broken if I lost these" things are archived on other media as well.  Yes I'd still be screwed if the house burned down, but I all honesty if that happened I imagine I'd have bigger things to worry about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

R-Studio I think was the package that allowed me to successfully recover about 75% of my data back in 2007 when Windows XP nuked itself and the FAT while trying to install a service pack.  That was a "sector-by-sector try to string bits of the files back together" job though which took days to run!  That was the point at which I realised I'd been a bit lazy in my backup regime.

These days I have a physically separate drive with a backup of my home folder on which is synced once every week via rsync, and an external drive which has the same but is physically unplugged except for when a backup is being performed.  Plus all my photos are backed up to Google photos as well - as that's probably the most important thing to me these days as family memories are in there and you can't replace those.

A few "I'd be properly broken if I lost these" things are archived on other media as well.  Yes I'd still be screwed if the house burned down, but I all honesty if that happened I imagine I'd have bigger things to worry about.

I've now got FreeFileSync installed. Created a dedicated share on Unraid for it and gave it the file path and it's syncing across now! 

I can then save that job as a batch file, and I'm hoping the windows scheduled task stuff is smart enough to let me run it on, say, shutdown. PC isn't on every day, would be more helpful for it to sit and run before the pc shuts down, I'd have turned the screen off and walked away by then so that's easy! If not, back to the drawing board. 

I did think earlier I'm now running off an ssd used in a mates gaming rig, if it died there'd be zero diagnosis, no point even starting to cry, at least with a mech drive you know if it's alive. And now I've backed up the files I needed (anyone want my years license key for the software I used? 😂) I'll format the drives and probably not need them. I'll strip the case down and remove the 1tb and probably bin it, will keep the 2tb for torrent dumps and stupid stuff but only because I can... 

I've also got a cold storage not unlike yours. Once a year I fetch the 4tb drive I keep in a proper HD box with HD padding (from the new 8tb I swapped it out for) and it gets plugged in with my USB-sata adapter and I'll copy+skip existing the photos I've taken of the kids and etc. No hoover/YouTube stuff or the torrented media, just the irreplaceable stuff. Then it's powered down and back in the loft. Unraid parity can save me otherwise 🤞🤞🤞(and my parity is greater than what I use so it'll be a 1-1 clone hopefully 😂

Or I should get on the pc and do my editing backlog and get it back off onto the unraid anyway, but I've sat at the pc too much now to want to go near the thing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noticed a little issue in my daughter's bedroom in the corner.  Little evidence of a leak20240204_110707.thumb.jpg.edff581fbda7d854ff040746479d98e1.jpg

started to investigate. Removed some Wall paper to find the lining paper covered in mould.

20240204_153824.thumb.jpg.46d15d817613d5599732b6d933864586.jpg

and investigate more. Under the pink painted lining paper on the outside wall the plaster was pretty damp. 20240204_154241.thumb.jpg.06b4e806b0fe9ca59d89a995a1d4e9b4.jpg

 

Took off the lining paper on the party wall. 

And scraped off the mould

20240204_172352.thumb.jpg.da1f29a364be2d6ff90742b2994a7302.jpg

Looks like there's some sort of small leak from the corner of the loft conversion above, which starts about 50 cm in from the outside wall, and has found an outlet right at the corner. 

Roofer, coming Tuesday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/01/2024 at 19:03, eddyramrod said:

One thing I specifically asked about was a CD player.  No sir, you won't get one of those now, cars are set up for streaming.

Well fuck streaming, how old am I?  15?  NO, ffs, I'm 65 (in April) I've only just got the hang of CDs and I want to play them.  Progress, hey?  

That's just made me realise that I've completely stopped listening to the radio or CDs while driving in recent months, and I don't have any music or streaming services on my phone.  I've been driving in silence (except when using Google Maps for navigation) for months now and hadn't noticed.

Maybe music and radio are just another thing I've added subconsciously to the list of things that only serve to annoy me in life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MikeR said:

F..... Roads in Arnside ... 

IMG_20240205_080746360.thumb.jpg.3dd1737b4b3eff686eaeec8e89cd3c2f.jpg

Its not just Arnside the roads are in a terrible condition everywhere in Cumbria, I drove up to Shap on Friday and on one stretch just outside Kendal near Selside there were four 2" deep by 2ft long potholes and several much deeper smaller ones right on the apexes of a couple of corners, it would have been lethal on a bike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Its not just Arnside the roads are in a terrible condition everywhere in Cumbria, I drove up to Shap on Friday and on one stretch just outside Kendal near Selside there were four 2" deep by 2ft long potholes and several much deeper smaller ones right on the apexes of a couple of corners, it would have been lethal on a bike.

Just found a smaller ding on the rear wheel , so my front wheel is awaiting a mating session with a lump hammer and a new tyre in the tyre shop . Despite a quick check over yesterday that big ding did a good hide and seek ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pieman said:

That's just made me realise that I've completely stopped listening to the radio or CDs while driving in recent months, and I don't have any music or streaming services on my phone.  I've been driving in silence (except when using Google Maps for navigation) for months now and hadn't noticed.

Maybe music and radio are just another thing I've added subconsciously to the list of things that only serve to annoy me in life.

The CD changer in the Mazda doesn't work (according to my son, I haven't tried it) and the aux connection didn't work when I tried that, although that could be the phone.

No USB connection so can't use my music dongles,

Need to try and pair the phone, one day.

Radio works but I don't like radio and it is very strange as far as selecting stations goes.

So like you I drive in silence.  Not that I drive it much, only about 250 miles in January.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...