The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Bren said:

This cold snap can get to fuck.

I have severe asthma but thankfully no longer steroid dependant. However the colld is affecting my sinuses - my head aches along with my teeth  and my ears.

This is a rubbish feeling. I always get it in one sinus only affecting one tooth and a headache down one side. Ibuprofen relieves it better than anything else, but it's not great

On 08/01/2024 at 18:03, jakebullet said:

I love* being tech support for mad old bats.

I keep getting told to turn all adverts off and my phone is overtaken by all adverts and a picture comes up on my screen of a man with a phone in is hands and i says you need to pay and he will clear all adverts but my phone becomes fully overtaken by all these adverts wanting me to agree to these adverts and click on them, and then you can get trapped into trouble.  what i normally look for the skip advert on screen and that turns them off. So really we don,t need to pay to get adverts removed but, both parry and i think this is a way of getting people to agreen just to make money, parry says don,t agree so i won,t.

Er, ok.

I have had to change onto my other tablet because, the one I was using just will not let me in now at all.

I REALLY THINK SOMEONE IS CREATING PROBLEMS ON MY COMPUTER AND MY PHONE.

Last time ELITE HACKER was she entered & saved the facebook password into the wifi password field. Fairly sure android things are not that easy to take over, and why would you bother nobbling 3 different devices?

She is probably on a numpty list, as I've seen romance scammers posting on her stuff. She also has a habit of friending / following anything that remotely mentions Jesus, TEH LORD etc. Wouldn't be that hard to get on her friends list with a carefully crafted Jesus post, and then to bang a load of shit her way so it appears on her facebook wall. But I can't get her to take a photo / screenshot so don't know what's really going on.

Anyone recommend a remote desktop app I can get her to install so I can fix from here?

Don't do it.  Just don't.  You won't be thanked for any trouble you go to, you already know this.  Leave it be.

On 08/01/2024 at 18:03, jakebullet said:

She is probably on a numpty list, as I've seen romance scammers posting on her stuff. She also has a habit of friending / following anything that remotely mentions Jesus, TEH LORD etc. Wouldn't be that hard to get on her friends list with a carefully crafted Jesus post, and then to bang a load of shit her way so it appears on her facebook wall. But I can't get her to take a photo / screenshot so don't know what's really going on.

Anyone recommend a remote desktop app I can get her to install so I can fix from here?

I can't help with the technical problems, but can I take a moment of your time to talk to you about the word of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?

Managed to cock up this morning.

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to some DIY tasks, and I've successfully changed all the light switches and sockets upstairs in my house, as well as one downstairs that broke. Everything working fine, electrician was happy last time I had a callout for something unrelated, all good. Well after a couple of years the cheapo switch I used in the hall started playing up and one side of it now doesn't work at all, bought a replacement switch, lived with it for a bit, didnt think anything of it, managed without a hall light for a bit. Finally decided sod this I want to change it this morning. Moved it over one wire at a time, as I have previously.

Well clearly either this switch is fucked or I've fucked it up as it's now tripping the electrics every time I turn the lights on. After trying a couple of basic wire swaps I decided nope, fuck this, I'm not getting involved. Emergency electrician on the way. Now I'm conscious I look like a know it all who tried it and fucked it up.

Got given a prescription by the hospital

Went to collect it and its the same stuff im on now only tiny bit stronger

If you can buy them off the chemist theyre not gonna be mad scary

Ffs - why not given them first no idea

5 hours ago, Wilko220 said:

Bad news today for Rootes owners

IMG_5477.jpeg

Some tosser will purchase the Stock. Lets hope it is not the MR helpful* who purchased the stock from Earlpart when they closed a number of years ago.

11 hours ago, Markeh said:

Managed to cock up this morning.

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to some DIY tasks, and I've successfully changed all the light switches and sockets upstairs in my house, as well as one downstairs that broke. Everything working fine, electrician was happy last time I had a callout for something unrelated, all good. Well after a couple of years the cheapo switch I used in the hall started playing up and one side of it now doesn't work at all, bought a replacement switch, lived with it for a bit, didnt think anything of it, managed without a hall light for a bit. Finally decided sod this I want to change it this morning. Moved it over one wire at a time, as I have previously.

Well clearly either this switch is fucked or I've fucked it up as it's now tripping the electrics every time I turn the lights on. After trying a couple of basic wire swaps I decided nope, fuck this, I'm not getting involved. Emergency electrician on the way. Now I'm conscious I look like a know it all who tried it and fucked it up.

Sheer incompetence here. Waited til 6:30pm for an electrician. At about 6pm, I checked the third attempt of wiring I'd done, with the intent of tucking it away, assuming they werent coming, just so I didn't damage anything.

In the process, I wired it up right. I paid an £80 callout charge, all they did was turn the breaker back on and check the switch worked...

In fairness I did get them to change the landing switch while they were here.

Idiot tax paid, lesson learned, don't try and bugger about with electrics before you start work. Hopefully they just charge me for the callout - if they do, I'll probably bother to put some work their way for an outside light I need fitting.

26 minutes ago, Markeh said:

Sheer incompetence here. Waited til 6:30pm for an electrician. At about 6pm, I checked the third attempt of wiring I'd done, with the intent of tucking it away, assuming they werent coming, just so I didn't damage anything.

In the process, I wired it up right. I paid an £80 callout charge, all they did was turn the breaker back on and check the switch worked...

In fairness I did get them to change the landing switch while they were here.

Idiot tax paid, lesson learned, don't try and bugger about with electrics before you start work. Hopefully they just charge me for the callout - if they do, I'll probably bother to put some work their way for an outside light I need fitting.

I found out several years ago when changing a couple of ceiling lights in the hall that because of regs it is perfectly acceptable to use a neutral coloured wire as a switched live. Oh how I laughed my arse off at paying the idiot tax to the grinning sparky as he fixed my wiring faux pas in about 2 minutes.

i feel your pain

So it appears that Sainsburys now reckon they're Spotify, and have (somewhat belatedly) hopped on the groovy train to email me my "2023 Wrapped!!"

Screenshot_20240110-1542522.thumb.png.bb35dec8656990220cadc9bcd750ed29.png

I have absolutely no idea what I'm meant to do with this information.

Other than possibly track down the #1 buyer of Belvita Cocoa breakfast biscuits in the local area, and challenge them to a duel to determine the one true champion.

On 09/01/2024 at 20:54, vulgalour said:

Don't do it.  Just don't.  You won't be thanked for any trouble you go to, you already know this.  Leave it be.

I got a bazillion messages how does she change arsebook password 'cos HACKERZ*, so I told her and she buggered off for a full day.

Facebook are now saying that my old password is incorrect and I have used it for a very long time, I know it is right and Parry also does. So how do I get out of that one please?.

Er, use the new password, the one you changed it to? I suspect she thinks you change password only for the device you've changed it on, and not all of them.

Yes, trying to avoid further interaction with mad Jean.

13 hours ago, hairnet said:

Got given a prescription by the hospital

Went to collect it and its the same stuff im on now only tiny bit stronger

If you can buy them off the chemist theyre not gonna be mad scary

Ffs - why not given them first no idea

As I'm awake and coughing my lungs up, might I be allowed to be a pedant. 

It's a Pharmacist.  Not a chemist. 

The difference is significant. 

Daughter is the former, and son formerly was the later (and now is a chartered financial auditor), and have both previously pulled me up on this common error. 

25 minutes ago, New POD said:

Daughter is the former, and son formerly was the later (and now is a chartered financial auditor), and have both previously pulled me up on this common error. 

It latter not later. 

8 hours ago, New POD said:

So why was it 'Boots the Chemist' then?

SillY Cow in in a Kia drove into the back of me at the traffic lights tonight. Damaged the rear bumper - I was stationary and had been for a while. Wanted to bung me a tenner to keep it off insurance as she has had a recent claim. Jog on love - that bumpers knackered now.

My mum has been suffering with shortness of breath, a cough and weight loss. The GP started investigations v end of Nov and the hospital continued that through December and with invasive stuff last week.

She got the diagnosis yesterday. Mesothelioma - lung cancer from asbestos. Beyond the devestation for her and us as a family we can't think of anywhere she's been to be exposed to asbestos. Ultimately we'll never know where the asbestos came from.

The NHS and GP has been absolutely top notch.

It's all v v sh*t.