Jump to content

The grumpy thread


outlaw118

Recommended Posts

On 16/10/2023 at 00:25, Mrcento said:

People fucking HATE to see people working on cars. Brings out the absolute worst in everyone and seems to be a magnet that attracts them over.

Can’t say I’ve experienced this. Normally I get people asking if I’m a mechanic, my normal response being I’m an idiot with some tools.

 

As an aside to this I do have a grump. End of September I got Covid. Again. 4th time. I am still absolutely banjaxed with brain fog and just cannot function much after lunchtime. Hoping this goes soon as I start doing something and get absolutely worn out within minutes. Used to last a good couple hours doing something before needing a rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

Since when the fuck did you have to pay to park your bike up town. 

65E59543-F44F-4B14-9730-4BC8DAE13DFF.thumb.jpeg.9ae619bbe307c50a3f5917ea3a26cd02.jpeg

To be fair there was a sign though i didn't see it as never knew paying to park a bike was a thing. Arse. 

It’s absolutely ridiculous that bikes have to pay for parking.
You can usually find somewhere to leave it that inconveniences nobody. 

 

What next? Charges for bicycles and mobility scooters? (Which are usually parked/dumped in even worse places).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Can’t say I’ve experienced this. Normally I get people asking if I’m a mechanic, my normal response being I’m an idiot with some tools.

It is constant here. Can't even wash a car without a neighbour coming out and making some sort of comment. 'It won't make that pile of shit look better'. etc etc.

The absolute worst ones though are at the council lock up i rent, if i do anything up there (including washing a car, there's a tap up there for that very purpose!), no matter what it is, anyone else that comes into the yard (mostly older people) results in a full on fucking red faced argument and a gestapo style interregation where they think they own the entire place, start asking who i am, where i'm from, if i have a garage there, what one, how long i've had it etc and ultimately demand i fuck off immediately regardless because i'll 'just make a mess and they'll report me'.

If i'm doing something more mechanical, they'll go off on one about oil everywhere, even if i'm not doing a thing with oil (last time i got this i was replacing a door lock ffs) ask if i have mechanical qualifications (i do, fwiw), where i work, why i have to do it there and why i don't just take it to a garage and pay someone 'like a normal person does'. etc etc.

Which probably explains (between that an insurance being wild for no apparent reason with me) why i've lost all motivation with cars. Joyless aggro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

a neighbour coming out and making some sort of comment. 'It won't make that pile of shit look better'. etc etc.

‘Then why the fuck does your mrs have a wash each day m9??’

It definitely wouldn’t help, but most people who are that cuntish are just full of impotent rage.

In a previous house I had an elderly neighbour have a go at me for some drops of oil leaking out my old Xsara into my parking space and carried on to complain about me driving a knackered old car. She had a Ford Ka of a similar vintage outside her house, with an oil stain the size of a dinner plate under it. You couldn’t make it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

‘Then why the fuck does your mrs have a wash each day m9??’

It definitely wouldn’t help, but most people who are that cuntish are just full of impotent rage.

The best example of some of my neighbours cuntishness definitely when i had the Cinquecento parked outside my house, in the allotted space, i got a letter posted on the windscreen calling me inconsiderate for parking outside my own fucking house because, and i quote

'Your car is very small and takes up space that could be used by a larger car'

I'm probably the only person on earth ever to get a complaint of my car not taking up enough space for a neighbours liking.....

And of course, when i ended up with a Discovery a year or so later, they didn't like that either and kicked the rear light in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t remember if I posted this before, but a neighbour (who has since moved) was having a spat with another neighbour (who I think has also moved now as I don’t see her car anymore) as she would watch out the window constantly and if he moved his car from outside his house, she would move hers there. I know parking is a free for all, but she lived about 10 doors down, and would come out for no reason and move her car just to wind him up. I think she had a problem with him as his driveway was always full of cars (like mine).

In a retaliation act of incredibly focused pettiness, he kept buying absolutely hanging end of life shitters, taxing and insuring them and then parking them outside his house permanently, then parking his daily outside her house whenever the space was free 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the subject of neighbours, mine tend to leave me alone when it comes to cars, which is lucky. 

I've never announced it but word has got around all but one in the immediate vicinity that I'm handy with cars and in fact work at a nearby garage...  

The one that doesn't know - never spoken to them, they've never spoken to any of the others as far as I know. They very much keep themselves to themselves. Fair enough. 

All the others are aware in some capacity, two I try to swerve any dealings with, one always has a selection of council estate fresh heaps with bent MOTs and another has a strange circulation of modified detritus with cut springs and back boxes "deleted", with the odd (genuine) JDM import thrown into the mix. 

The others generally only ask for help/advice when it's service/MOT time

But there's this one guy. 

Now, he's actually a nice bloke. 

But, we have had the following conversation about 3 times..

I have a Ford Focus. He has a Ford Focus, albeit a newer one. You might be able to see where this is going. 

Neighbour - "I like your alloys, ever thought about selling them?"

[They're standard Ford rims, albeit a previous owner's choice of MK2.5 Zetec wheels fitted to my MK2 GHIA]

Me - "you mean swap?" 

Neighbour - "no I'd like to buy them but keep my wheels incase I sell the car" 

Ok, cool, you can buy my wheels and I'll just leave my car on axle stands then until you sell your car and I can have them back 🤣🤣

I'll happily help you source a like for like set, but you can't have mine! It hasn't ever registered with him, it'll only be a matter of time before we have the same conversation for a 4th time... 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

On the subject of neighbours, mine tend to leave me alone when it comes to cars, which is lucky. 

I've never announced it but word has got around all but one in the immediate vicinity that I'm handy with cars and in fact work at a nearby garage...  

The one that doesn't know - never spoken to them, they've never spoken to any of the others as far as I know. They very much keep themselves to themselves. Fair enough. 

All the others are aware in some capacity, two I try to swerve any dealings with, one always has a selection of council estate fresh heaps with bent MOTs and another has a strange circulation of modified detritus with cut springs and back boxes "deleted", with the odd (genuine) JDM import thrown into the mix. 

The others generally only ask for help/advice when it's service/MOT time

But there's this one guy. 

Now, he's actually a nice bloke. 

But, we have had the following conversation about 3 times..

I have a Ford Focus. He has a Ford Focus, albeit a newer one. You might be able to see where this is going. 

Neighbour - "I like your alloys, ever thought about selling them?"

[They're standard Ford rims, albeit a previous owner's choice of MK2.5 Zetec wheels fitted to my MK2 GHIA]

Me - "you mean swap?" 

Neighbour - "no I'd like to buy them but keep my wheels incase I sell the car" 

Ok, cool, you can buy my wheels and I'll just leave my car on axle stands then until you sell your car and I can have them back 🤣🤣

I'll happily help you source a like for like set, but you can't have mine! It hasn't ever registered with him, it'll only be a matter of time before we have the same conversation for a 4th time... 🤣

Speaking of him has just reminded me - when he first bought the car new - a year or so later (whenever the first service light came on "oil change required") he decided to buy a 5 litre bottle of oil, and poured the lot in. 😐😂

He'd started it up, you can imagine the smoke. I looked out the window and thought "holy shit, what's he done" 

Went out to investigate/intervene... Drained the oil out for him, probably about 9 litres came out, capacity just over 4 litres ....

If you think I'm joking - seriously, I'm not! That's what he thought he needed to do... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I can’t remember if I posted this before, but a neighbour (who has since moved) was having a spat with another neighbour (who I think has also moved now as I don’t see her car anymore) as she would watch out the window constantly and if he moved his car from outside his house, she would move hers there. I know parking is a free for all, but she lived about 10 doors down, and would come out for no reason and move her car just to wind him up. I think she had a problem with him as his driveway was always full of cars (like mine).

In a retaliation act of incredibly focused pettiness, he kept buying absolutely hanging end of life shitters, taxing and insuring them and then parking them outside his house permanently, then parking his daily outside her house whenever the space was free 🤣

🤣I like his style! 

I've said before I think. My neighbour likes to park on the pavement across my steps, sometimes leaving a bawhair to squeeze past and walk up to them, which I think is just plain rude.

No objection to them parking on the road, but the pavement is a red line.

My wife snapped and barked at them yesterday (my wife is normally lovely, but when she bites - run and take cover! 😂) to move their car and in fairness they did, but I am finding it extremely difficult to resist the urge to buy an old van and park it a bawhair from their driveway just to make it awkward AF for them to get in and out. 

Or obtain an MOT exempt and pretty thing (as it's in my eyeline) to park and permanently bag the space. 

Petty but I can live with petty.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I can’t remember if I posted this before, but a neighbour (who has since moved) was having a spat with another neighbour (who I think has also moved now as I don’t see her car anymore) as she would watch out the window constantly and if he moved his car from outside his house, she would move hers there. I know parking is a free for all, but she lived about 10 doors down, and would come out for no reason and move her car just to wind him up. I think she had a problem with him as his driveway was always full of cars (like mine).

In a retaliation act of incredibly focused pettiness, he kept buying absolutely hanging end of life shitters, taxing and insuring them and then parking them outside his house permanently, then parking his daily outside her house whenever the space was free 🤣

The watching and car moving thing 100% happens here too (though not to that extent 😂), the spot in the residents bay at the end of the path is like gold dust, if you have it and a neighbour sees you getting in the car, they're out. and within 30 seconds of the space being vacated, they're in it, even if they were parked 1 over, literally 5 steps away, they HAVE to have the number 1 spot like some sort of status symbol, it's fucking bizarre.

I should probably add though, they aren't all like that, my actual neighbour is pretty sound, into his older rot prone stuff as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parents' garage flooded overnight. My Jaguar was in there, which luckily is fine! 

 

Spent the day clearing it up. Still stuff to do but it seems that quick action prevented anything too bad from happening. Fingers crossed!

 

Got a big demudifier from a plant hire place in there now to dry it out before finding some way to clean out the silt 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Speaking of him has just reminded me - when he first bought the car new - a year or so later (whenever the first service light came on "oil change required") he decided to buy a 5 litre bottle of oil, and poured the lot in. 😐😂

He'd started it up, you can imagine the smoke. I looked out the window and thought "holy shit, what's he done" 

Went out to investigate/intervene... Drained the oil out for him, probably about 9 litres came out, capacity just over 4 litres ....

If you think I'm joking - seriously, I'm not! That's what he thought he needed to do... 

My Great Uncle (90 this year) tells a good story from about 50 years ago.  A young lady knocks on his door during a storm at about 1AM and asks if she can use his telephone as her car has spectacularly broken down.  Of course, he obliges and asks her what happened.  She said it just stopped and the engine wouldn't start again.  Apparently it was fairly new.

He asked if any work had been done on the car.  She said:

'Yeah.  I drained the oil.  The handbook said that every 6,000 miles, I should drain the oil.'

Unfortunately the handbook apparently didn't say that it needed to be filled up again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Parents' garage flooded overnight. My Jaguar was in there, which luckily is fine! 

 

Spent the day clearing it up. Still stuff to do but it seems that quick action prevented anything too bad from happening. Fingers crossed!

 

Got a big demudifier from a plant hire place in there now to dry it out before finding some way to clean out the silt 

You need to add air movement with that dehumidifier. Some high speed blowers/fans will speed up drying massively, as it increases evaporation rates, allowing the dehumidifier to collect more moisture laden air. Speaking as a fire and flood restorer!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

My Great Uncle (90 this year) tells a good story from about 50 years ago.  A young lady knocks on his door during a storm at about 1AM and asks if she can use his telephone as her car has spectacularly broken down.  Of course, he obliges and asks her what happened.  She said it just stopped and the engine wouldn't start again.  Apparently it was fairly new.

He asked if any work had been done on the car.  She said:

'Yeah.  I drained the oil.  The handbook said that every 6,000 miles, I should drain the oil'

Unfortunately the handbook apparently didn't say that it needed to be filled up again.

1981 - chap I knew sprung for a MG Midget - white and rust in colour. 
He topped up the oil, and up, and up until he could see it in the rocker cover. Turned it over, hydro locked it and spent £££ getting it fixed.
I knew nothing much about anything (including cars) back then so I didn't ask him if it had starting dribbling out of the overfill warning device (dipstick tube) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wibble said:

You need to add air movement with that dehumidifier. Some high speed blowers/fans will speed up drying massively, as it increases evaporation rates, allowing the dehumidifier to collect more moisture laden air. Speaking as a fire and flood restorer!

Tried to get one but unfortunately they didn't have any to rent out. I've set up some small desk fans. I guess that's better than nothing? 

 

Any insight is welcome. Trying to do my best here with basic knowledge! Thank you for your advice 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Tried to get one but unfortunately they didn't have any to rent out. I've set up some small desk fans. I guess that's better than nothing? 

 

Any insight is welcome. Trying to do my best here with basic knowledge! Thank you for your advice 

Yep, that’s better than nothing. With current weather issues, drying equipment is going to be in high demand. Where are you? We have a fair amount of kit but aren’t really interested in drying work these days. Don’t just leave the garage door open though, you’ll be trying to dry the planet! The dehumidifier will take whatever moisture is easily available. If the door is open, it won’t be from the garage structure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Yep, that’s better than nothing. With current weather issues, drying equipment is going to be in high demand. Where are you? We have a fair amount of kit but aren’t really interested in drying work these days. Don’t just leave the garage door open though, you’ll be trying to dry the planet! The dehumidifier will take whatever moisture is easily available. If the door is open, it won’t be from the garage structure.

Shropshire. Everywhere I phoned said the same! Eventually I found a place locally that had one dehumidifier. It's a three car garage with a flat over it, so a fairly big building. 

 

I have had the dehumidifier going since this afternoon and it has almost filled a bucket so far. Definitely making a difference - I have been checking and taking photos and definitely I can see dry bits of floor that were once puddle. We've swept out as much water and crap as we could 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

Shropshire. Everywhere I phoned said the same! Eventually I found a place locally that had one dehumidifier. It's a three car garage with a flat over it, so a fairly big building. 

 

I have had the dehumidifier going since this afternoon and it has almost filled a bucket so far. Definitely making a difference - I have been checking and taking photos and definitely I can see dry bits of floor that were once puddle. We've swept out as much water and crap as we could 

Ok, good. That floor, looking dry isn’t dry. Will take ages to dry(assuming concrete) and should have an equilibrium relative humidity test to prove it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TalkTalk "free fibre upgrade!" Don't believe it. No communication, received an e-mail from a courier to say "Your TalkTalk delivery is on its way." Hadn't ordered anything or been contacted by them. Turns out it is a new router for the impending "free" upgrade which I wasn't informed of.  Fifteen calls and hours of wasted time later have been outright lied to regarding contact prior to an engineer visit (it didn't happen) that my existing phone will work with the new set up (it won't) and that the engineer will be able to replicate the existing set up (no). Engineer turned up, so after he and I spoke to his company to explain the situation he left.  Felt sorry for him as asked if this happens often and he said all the time with TalkTalk. 

E-mailed their complaints address and received an automated reply inform me of the ways I can contact them!  Unfortunately can't leave them without a penalty as still have a long time on my existing contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Speaking of him has just reminded me - when he first bought the car new - a year or so later (whenever the first service light came on "oil change required") he decided to buy a 5 litre bottle of oil, and poured the lot in. 😐😂

He'd started it up, you can imagine the smoke. I looked out the window and thought "holy shit, what's he done" 

Went out to investigate/intervene... Drained the oil out for him, probably about 9 litres came out, capacity just over 4 litres ....

If you think I'm joking - seriously, I'm not! That's what he thought he needed to do... 

Are these people nuts? 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Are these people nuts? 😂

He must be something or other 🤣

Thing is, he's reasonably car-competent, he knows what the cambelt is and had it changed a bit early just in case, he changes bulbs himself, he tops up his own screenwash and I regularly see him out there checking tyre pressures, but he went and did that 🤷🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah that's fine, we don't use the drive or need access to it anyway. Prick.

 

Contrary to the note she put through my door in response to the note I left asking her not to do it again, she cannot "park where she fucking likes" because she has a Blue Badge. Let's see what the council has to say about that, eh?

IMG20231020145439.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mum has a rental 72 plate BMW 3 Series while her car is being repaired (a Hilux reversed into it in a supermarket car park) 

 

She and I went to the theatre this evening in the BMW. I was driving. I noticed it had a button for automatic high beam. I love that feature so thought I'd use it. 

 

It popped up a screen explaining how to pay to get it activated. I knew of this shittery but it's the first time I've seen it for myself 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...