Jump to content

The grumpy thread


outlaw118

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, cobblers said:

 

My new unit is in Bakewell and the journey back home from it is down some winding country lanes. I pop in to the new place most days and end up driving back from there in the dark most nights.

More times than I can count lately I have been stuck behind people doing 20/30mph, on and off the brakes constantly because they are driving with only their dipped beam on and can't see where they are going. Almost every night I end up having to overtake several cars, and if you're being overtaken on a country lane in your Audi A3 by a 35 year old van with fucking mud tyres on that does 60MPH flat out then I don't know what to tell you other than please hand your licence in at a post office. I know it's not a race, but if the best you can muster is 30MPH on a road that's "normal travelling speed" would be 55/60mph then something is amiss

 

And again tonight, another silly bastard in a Zafira. Pulled out in front of me on a roundabout, then I followed them at 25mph for a couple of miles, til they briefly maxed out at 28mph in a 60 limit. (passenger took the photo etcs)

1097371590_2022-11-2819_05_19.thumb.jpg.5b0784fdf534eb25817e4bcff4c0bfef.jpg

I need a fucking harpoon on the front of this van

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went for a meal last night - the local beefeater.

It was very poor - two hour wait and the food was not up to much. My wife made it clear we would not be returning- the staff to their credit knocked the drinks from the bill.

Not grumpy - sad. Hospitality is on it's arse and the manager is more than likely having a breakdown.

In another couple of years I think choices will be more limited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bren said:

Went for a meal last night - the local beefeater.

It was very poor - two hour wait and the food was not up to much. My wife made it clear we would not be returning- the staff to their credit knocked the drinks from the bill.

Not grumpy - sad. Hospitality is on it's arse and the manager is more than likely having a breakdown.

In another couple of years I think choices will be more limited.

I don't know whether I've been spoiled by the independent places locally in the last couple of years or what, but the "chain" places I've been to in the last few years have been pretty miserable, and getting worse fast. I used to love any pub dinner - We had a beefeater nearby and we'd be in there every week. Nowadays,

Beefeater, Greene King are both very mediocre at best,  But Marstons or Punch Taverns are absolutely 100%  inedible shite, not fit to feed the dog, and they both serve crap beer, badly.

We have a Marstons literally next-door to our house and I have eaten there once, and never set foot through the door again.

These breweries really ruin what could be a nice pub by forcing a shit choice of ales and food on them, I think as people are squeezed they won't put up with crap like that, if you're going out for a meal it had better be decent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I don't know whether I've been spoiled by the independent places locally in the last couple of years or what, but the "chain" places I've been to in the last few years have been pretty miserable, and getting worse fast. I used to love any pub dinner - We had a beefeater nearby and we'd be in there every week. Nowadays,

Beefeater, Greene King are both very mediocre at best,  But Marstons or Punch Taverns are absolutely 100%  inedible shite, not fit to feed the dog, and they both serve crap beer, badly.

We have a Marstons literally next-door to our house and I have eaten there once, and never set foot through the door again.

These breweries really ruin what could be a nice pub by forcing a shit choice of ales and food on them, I think as people are squeezed they won't put up with crap like that, if you're going out for a meal it had better be decent. 

It is the staff I feel sorry for. The chain that own the beefeater obviously aren't arsed about the branch I ate in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chain restaurants are mostly owned now by private equity/vulture funds stripping  the last bits of cash out of them before dumping it onto another vulture fund lower down the pecking order, or occasionally someone foolish with far more ambition than talent or business acumen (like the ‘race car driver’/yacht enthusiast who ended up with BHS for a £1). 

Companies that that must be dire to work for and even worse places to stay in or eat at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, cobblers said:

And again tonight, another silly bastard in a Zafira. Pulled out in front of me on a roundabout, then I followed them at 25mph for a couple of miles, til they briefly maxed out at 28mph in a 60 limit. (passenger took the photo etcs)

1097371590_2022-11-2819_05_19.thumb.jpg.5b0784fdf534eb25817e4bcff4c0bfef.jpg

I need a fucking harpoon on the front of this van

 

And yet in Staffordshire everyone at commuting time drives like Carlos McBurns-Mikola. 

At 6 am going South from say Ashborne, towards Lichfield, there's a B Road that heads towards BARTON under Needwood, and at 60 I can't keep up. 

Same in the Evening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Chain restaurants are mostly owned now by private equity/vulture funds stripping  the last bits of cash out of them before dumping it onto another vulture fund lower down the pecking order, or occasionally someone foolish with far more ambition than talent or business acumen (like the ‘race car driver’/yacht enthusiast who ended up with BHS for a £1). 

Companies that that must be dire to work for and even worse places to stay in or eat at.

Pubs that make Wetherspoons look good.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bren said:

It is the staff I feel sorry for. The chain that own the beefeater obviously aren't arsed about the branch I ate in.

It’s mostly kids getting paid the absolute bare minimum so it’s inevitable they won’t give a shit. I’ve given up with eating out in the U.K., ok I’ll nip in the Wetherspoons if it’s otherwise not practical to cook but I’d not waste the money on Hungry Horse etc. Also the beer in a lot of these places is dreadful, you get half way down a pint and immediately feel that awful you have to go home, Wetherspoons is probably an exception as the beer is usually quite good there but Hungry Horse/Beefeater etc... forget it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, sierraman said:

It’s mostly kids getting paid the absolute bare minimum so it’s inevitable they won’t give a shit. I’ve given up with eating out in the U.K., ok I’ll nip in the Wetherspoons if it’s otherwise not practical to cook but I’d not waste the money on Hungry Horse etc. Also the beer in a lot of these places is dreadful, you get half way down a pint and immediately feel that awful you have to go home, Wetherspoons is probably an exception as the beer is usually quite good there but Hungry Horse/Beefeater etc... forget it. 

There's plenty of places to eat out and be guaranteed a flipping lovely meal and a good pint, but any chain place puts a pretty low cap on how good a meal can be (but seemingly not how bad it can be)

A few pubs I visit often and the food is always very very good - all fresh, locally sourced meat (One place you can see out of the window to the field where your steak came from) and it's not really much more expensive than eating at beefeater - A sirloin steak would be £18/20, a big burger £14, £12 for a pie etc. Always a couple of good local beers on cask and they are al busy enough to sell it through before it goes dead. These are long running successful businesses with staff that have been there for years. 

It's possible to run a decent pub and keep the customers and staff happy if all the profits aren't syphoned off by pricks at a head office somewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, artdjones said:

Dressed in a kimono, I believe.

Dafuq difference does that make?  That has to be fuelled by tabloid journalism.   It wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to the fox if he'd been in a white-tie dress-suit or a latex gimp-suit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took my son out to the shops and Parked up in a disabled spot the other day , next spot to some old couple in a Honda... The woman passenger gave me right looking at , and then her husband , tutting away ,so I looked right back , lifted up my son's blue badge and grinned back at them ...

F in nosey judgemental twats ..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

Took my son out to the shops and Parked up in a disabled spot the other day , next spot to some old couple in a Honda... The woman passenger gave me right looking at , and then her husband , tutting away ,so I looked right back , lifted up my son's blue badge and grinned back at them ...

F in nosey judgemental twats ..

Before my mother (83) got a blue badge, I would park in the parent and child spaces if I was with her. It doesn’t say parents with young children, does it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Suddenly realised I haven't had a look at the Boxster for a while. Seats, gearknob and roof have gone all mouldy 

 

Any great tips for cleaning it? 

 

I would assume these are leather. Could try some sort of acid. Vinegar is acidic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

I would assume these are leather. Could try some sort of acid. Vinegar is acidic.

 

2 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

That's right, leather. So far I've used a leather cleaner I had in the cupboard which has seemed to do a good job, but it's too early to tell. I'll have to try something else on the roof lining 

Yes... white vinegar, watered down, maybe 50/50 and put on a cloth.  Rub this over the mould and it will remove it, leaving it less likely to come back.

My Boxster is ok, but the Mini Cooper gets really bad inside during its winter rest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

medical sucks

its going on longer than thought

but they told me today whats wrong should be ok - apart superficial shite thats still going on

gp has been worse than useless - they got the task of monitoring it and so far they havent - apart from the initial referral theyve done fuck all

they were told by the hospital to check up and provide medicines etc - despite them emailing them numerous times and even ringing them a few times at one stage gp hasnt bothered

so they got shouted at by me today - result is appt on sat 10th :D

which makes me grin as i looked at what day it was so i could put into a reminder on phone realised it was a sat :D - that means im not working that day :D

they said routine procedures they do they do on a sat

bit like the haematology - all their proddings are on a tuesday morning so they get processed tuesday afternoon (they were asked a long time ago why only tuesday :D even when the appts were miles in advance etc)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Talbot said:

Dafuq difference does that make?  That has to be fuelled by tabloid journalism.   It wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to the fox if he'd been in a white-tie dress-suit or a latex gimp-suit.

He posted it on twitter himself, lf memory serves it was his wife's silk kimono.

Pillock that he is, found himself under investigation for animal cruelty as a consequence 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...