The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

And that's me positive this afternoon :(

Negative yesterday eve, felt fine this morning, started feeling a bit rough after lunch and now I feel totally fucked. Aches all over, fatigued, sore throat, banging headache. Not fun 

On the plus side paracetamol seems to be making some effect 

Oh well, good excuse for a few days off I suppose 

Isolate!

Hope it's gentle.

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Negative yesterday eve, felt fine this morning, started feeling a bit rough after lunch and now I feel totally fucked. Aches all over, fatigued, sore throat, banging headache. Not fun 

Both me and the wife work with the great unwashed in the NHS  and had somehow dodged it up until attending my uncles funeral last Friday where at least 14 people and counting have caught it, I've honestly never felt so ill ( same symptoms as above) and am pissing more sweat out than I thought was humanly possible. I've found alternating Ibuprofen and Paracetamol every 4 hours has helped somewhat but jeeesus it's kicking our arses.   

19 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Why would you take a flap disc to a brake disc to remove a 1mm lip, then fit new pads? They'll be ruined in no time.

My dad does some fucking stupid things when left to his own devices. Thank fuck it's not my car he's working on. 

Assuming he's only removing the wear lip and not sanding the entire face of the disc, there's nothing wrong with doing that.  Even doing the face of the disc isn't the worst thing, the main issue being is that you can very easily introduce run-out by sanding one area too hard.

Assuming the disc thickness is still above minimum, I'd always remove the wear lip.  Same on brake drums.. grind the wear lip off (and sometimes even introduce a bit of a chamfer on the non-wearing area) makes it much easier to re-install.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Assuming he's only removing the wear lip and not sanding the entire face of the disc, there's nothing wrong with doing that.  Even doing the face of the disc isn't the worst thing, the main issue being is that you can very easily introduce run-out by sanding one area too hard.

Assuming the disc thickness is still above minimum, I'd always remove the wear lip.  Same on brake drums.. grind the wear lip off (and sometimes even introduce a bit of a chamfer on the non-wearing area) makes it much easier to re-install.

Yup, perfectly acceptable 

13 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Isolate!

Hope it's gentle.

No option but to! Every bone and muscle feels broken, couldn't go out if I tried!

Dizziness and brain fog. I thought that bit was a load of shite but it's true, I keep forgetting words and get easily confused!

Feel a bit better than yesterday, so that's something 

13 hours ago, omegod said:

Both me and the wife work with the great unwashed in the NHS  and had somehow dodged it up until attending my uncles funeral last Friday where at least 14 people and counting have caught it, I've honestly never felt so ill ( same symptoms as above) and am pissing more sweat out than I thought was humanly possible. I've found alternating Ibuprofen and Paracetamol every 4 hours has helped somewhat but jeeesus it's kicking our arses.   

I've had plenty of very narrow misses, surprised it's taken this long to actually catch it.

I haven't been this ill for years though, normally I can muster enough strength together to keep going but not this time. It's not like me to have to take time off. I think this is the first time for a few years I've had to take a sick day

Paracetamol worked wonders yesterday, trouble with ibuprofen is that it very rarely agrees with me so I try to avoid it if I can

12 hours ago, Pieman said:

The entire country is fucking disintegrating and all anyone gives a shit about is Love fucking Island.

Seriously, just kill me.  I've had enough and I want out.

Too damn right :(

having just spent 6 months wondering if the mark on my lung was cancer , and just getting the all clear ,

it was prob all down to the ones who sent their offspring into the work place last year with a "bug" , its only a little cough , he only threw up once etc

and given the minimal protection , we all got a dose of the wonderfull virus they brought in ..

and then you read comments like this in the local rag ......

Not paying nearly 10 quid for tests i dont need. I say i dont need them because even if i do test positive im not putting my life on hold again and self isolating, not a legal requirment so it wont get done. Will continue to send kids to school and continue working and shopping spread my covid all over, everyone else does it.

Thanks !!! ,  glad I am in my house retired and not dealing with some of these wankers anymore , they have no thoughts about other peoples health and what they have to work with ..

11 minutes ago, MikeR said:

having just spent 6 months wondering if the mark on my lung was cancer , and just getting the all clear ,

it was prob all down to the ones who sent their offspring into the work place last year with a "bug" , its only a little cough , he only threw up once etc

and given the minimal protection , we all got a dose of the wonderfull virus they brought in ..

Not paying nearly 10 quid for tests i dont need. I say i dont need them because even if i do test positive im not putting my life on hold again and self isolating, not a legal requirment so it wont get done. Will continue to send kids to school and continue working and shopping spread my covid all over, everyone else does it.

Thanks !!! ,  glad I am in my house retired and not dealing with some of these wankers anymore , they have no thoughts about other peoples health and what they have to work with ..

I think it kind of depends how long you expect to live. If you plan to live more than a short time, there's little point in worrying about it as you WILL catch it, just as you've caught cold and flu every so often throughout your life. For the future, the only real practical solution is to treat it like cold and flu and just accept that people do have it in public.

In many ways, catching it sooner rather than later is beneficial (if you're vaccinated) as it's a boost to immunity/resilience.

It's not so clear cut and really does depend on so many individual circumstances. Catching covid is inevitable, though. It will happen to everyone.

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

Assuming he's only removing the wear lip and not sanding the entire face of the disc, there's nothing wrong with doing that.

He's a cack handed moron at the best of times and he's faced the disc, it's really uneven. He often does stupid shit when he's not being supervised - I don't let him touch my cars any more.
Found new discs for £30/pair (dad never looks further than ECP/Autodoc) and ordered them for him. He got the grinder out cause new discs were too expensive apparently - he wasn't willing to pay more than about £20 on the grounds that I got a pair of Pagid discs for my Civic for £10 once in an ECP sale. 

6 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

I couldn't possibly count the number of posts of yours where you report back your Dad has helped you by doing xyz while you were at work, helped you with HG swaps and various other bits on your cars over the years.

I wouldn't touch the fucking things either if I was him, you come across as right ungrateful twat.

I'm not at all, he's an excellent helper, but if you leave him to his own devices he cuts corners or bodges things, and this is an example of that. I can't be there 100% of the time. 

52 minutes ago, MikeR said:

It amazes me that the slightest sniffle used to be grounds to skive off work and let the kids skive off school, yet when they're told/advised to with Covid they refuse and think their liberties are on the line!

One lad who stayed , turn out not to be testing , even when he had a cough he had not tested , only when we (staff) offered to walk out or he go home , testing got done .... !!! 

8 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It amazes me that the slightest sniffle used to be grounds to skive off work and let the kids skive off school, yet when they're told/advised to with Covid they refuse and think their liberties are on the line!

6 minutes ago, MikeR said:

One lad who stayed , turn out not to be testing , even when he had a cough he had not tested , only when we (staff) offered to walk out or he go home , testing got done .... !!! 

I just think it's selfish if people don't consider how other people feel about. 

If I'm well enough I'll go out, but I won't go into a pharmacy as there's probably vulnerable people in there, I won't go to the shops, I'll order online for this week, if work don't mind me being in when I'm well enough then fine, equally fine if they want me to keep away until I'm negative.

I'm not going to storm into places like a dickhead saying "I've got Covid and you can't stop me!!" Just common sense and courtesy applies. Although that is mostly absent these days 

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I'm not at all, he's an excellent helper, but if you leave him to his own devices he cuts corners or bodges things, and this is an example of that. I can't be there 100% of the time. 

I’ve frequently found best policy is sometimes to get people worry about their own shit. If he wants to fart about saving a shilling I’d let him get on with it. 

On 7/7/2022 at 11:10 AM, Talbot said:

This

I personally only replace brake discs in these scenarios: 

- below minimum thickness and pads are also due

- warped

- cracked through the middle if vented

- worn by metal to metal brake pads 

I often grind wear lips down on both discs and drums if there's nothing else wrong with them. Sometimes even scuff up the faces by hand with Emery cloth to somewhat deglaze them. 

On 7/6/2022 at 7:58 PM, RoverFolkUs said:

Could probably move to the grin thread now.. 

Seems to be over and done with apart from a lack of taste (well I've had that for years clearly, hence now being on Autoshite 😜) and feeling a bit blocked up still

Maybe those 3 jabs have done their job after all!

5 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Maybe those 3 jabs have done their job after all!

It's here to stay and I know folk who've had it more than once but it does seem that the mass inoculation programme has had the desired effect. *Touches wood*  I still haven't knowingly had it but the general opinion now is that while being far worse than just 'a bad cold', it's certainly not putting people in hospital with anything like the ferocity of the initial wave a couple of years ago. 

Glad you're over the worst of it. Celebrate your life by buying something silly and unnecessary... 😛

On 7/6/2022 at 3:38 PM, Ghosty said:

Why would you take a flap disc to a brake disc to remove a 1mm lip, then fit new pads? They'll be ruined in no time. 

My dad does some fucking stupid things when left to his own devices. Thank fuck it's not my car he's working on. 

Car on axle stands - in gear so disc spins . Use flap disc on edge . 
Ultimately pointless but I’ve done it and and seen it done many times . 

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Car on axle stands - in gear so disc spins . Use flap disc on edge . 
Ultimately pointless but I’ve done it and and seen it done many times . 

The only way to do this properly is with a lathe designed for the purpose. You can skim the disc down to true it provided you don't go below the minimum thickness allowed for the disc. IIRC Eric the Car Guy has one.

Move into social housing which is the appropriate size for your family, then have three more children and moan to the paper that you're overcrowded because (shock) your landlord doesn't have a supply of three / four bed homes sitting empty for you.

overcrowding.thumb.JPG.52a451da2317b520adc04a46172b0a72.JPG

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

^^ He is far too annoying to have to endure that, interesting as it may be.

I agree. But I pushed myself through it. Very little about electric cars is interesting and this was the same, but in short, this was about how Norway forces its citizens to drive electric and has led the world in this. So we have set up the template how other countries can do the same.

23 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I agree. But I pushed myself through it. Very little about electric cars is interesting and this was the same, but in short, this was about how Norway forces its citizens to drive electric and has led the world in this. So we have set up the template how other countries can do the same.

Huge incentives for the already wealthy?