The grumpy thread

outlaw118

19 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Over estimating to allow extra for winter cold temperatures.....

Fk off , overestimated so they get your money in their bank balance not yours😡😡

They seem completely clueless.  Same every month. They underestimate gas usage by about 5%, but electricity usage is always twice the actual usage or more.  Even in the summer when our electricity usage *does* go through the roof, they still over-estimate it.

26 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Found out today that Spain, where I live, has changed the law to be inline with an EU directive.

Nothing to get grumpy about then as that is normal. Well this one is. Now a seller of any second-hand vehicle within the EU has to give a guarantee. Two years if it is sold by a dealer and one year if sold by a private person. This one year can be reduced to 6 months if it is agreed by both parties. This must be written  in the sellers bill of sale.

How can a private person give any guarantee?

Maybe Boris was right, @SRi05 had a lucky escape there, my clutch only lasted 10 months.

34 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Found out today that Spain, where I live, has changed the law to be inline with an EU directive.

Nothing to get grumpy about then as that is normal. Well this one is. Now a seller of any second-hand vehicle within the EU has to give a guarantee. Two years if it is sold by a dealer and one year if sold by a private person. This one year can be reduced to 6 months if it is agreed by both parties. This must be written  in the sellers bill of sale.

Second-hand parts for cars will also have to be supplied with a guarantee.

New cars now have to come with a minimum of 3 years and parts must be available for 10 years after the end of production. What it does not say is how much one can charge for parts. No doubt some parts will end up being worth more than the car.

I don't know of any other countries within the EU having such rules, isn't this just Spain interpreting this directive too strictly?

Ordered oil and filter from ebay for the vectra on 8th. Filter came last Friday. Oil? Seller states courier has lost it. I have asked for a refund rather than a replacement as I am not getting pissed around again. My fault for not checking feedback - seller has 98.5% positive feedback which is good but most negative and neutral relates to stuff not being delivered.

From now on I will use my local factor - may be more expensive and will necessitate a trip out but so be it.

1 hour ago, castros_bro said:

How is that   (private seller private buyer anywhere in EU)   going to work in any way ?

55 minutes ago, Mally said:

Maybe Boris was right, @SRi05 had a lucky escape there, my clutch only lasted 10 months.

45 minutes ago, D.E said:

I don't know of any other countries within the EU having such rules, isn't this just Spain interpreting this directive too strictly?

43 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Fuck doing a roffle on Autoshite Espana, years warranty with every ticket 😂

Thanks for the above replies.

Here is the news in Spanish. You can use a online translator.

https://www.autopista.es/noticias-motor/nueva-ley-garantia-si-compras-coches-segunda-mano-usados-reparaciones-danos-cubre-ya_251106_102.html

It is quite vague as to which Eu directive this is referring too. I have found the Spanish law. It is 170+ pages of legal Spanish. I am searching it to find which EU directive this is. It is not in the tile or the first paragraph. Translated it says.

Royal Decree-Law 7/2021, of April 27, on the transposition of directives of the European Union in matters of competition, prevention of money laundering
capital, credit institutions, telecommunications, tax measures, prevention and repair of environmental damage, displacement of
workers in the provision of transnational services and defence of consumers.

In other words it is buried somewhere.

1 hour ago, D.E said:

When I was in Portugal in the 90's/00's if you turned up for an Mot with anything not as the manufacturer had fitted then it was a fail. Even a set of alloy wheels that were not original would be a fail.

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

New cars now have to come with a minimum of 3 years and parts must be available for 10 years after the end of production. What it does not say is how much one can charge for parts. No doubt some parts will end up being worth more than the car.

Sound like a practical and workable system.

Can't be correct surely?

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

What a load of toss; that will basically stop all private car sales as no-one will be willing to deal with that level of jeopardy on an old shitter. Is there a workaround available, e.g. by selling as spears and reapers?

5 hours ago, goosey said:

They just didn’t think, as it not working would have been my problem 

Aside from the thundering idiocy did they reveal what their concern about the interior of the hose was? IME they fail either because of bad/corroded crimps or perished/abraded outer letting the reinforcing rot and subsequently rupture, both of which telegraph themselves to anyone with functioning eyes.

Sorry; spears and reapers is an Autoshite trope for badly spelled car adverts, in this case spares and repairs, which means selling a car that is broken/beyond economic repair for scrap/spares.

10 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I struggle to explain this in English but this is about how we do it as the buyer has 2 years for private purchase here.

34 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

What a load of toss; that will basically stop all private car sales as no-one will be willing to deal with that level of jeopardy on an old shitter. Is there a workaround available, e.g. by selling as spears and reapers?

Aside from the thundering idiocy did they reveal what their concern about the interior of the hose was? IME they fail either because of bad/corroded crimps or perished/abraded outer letting the reinforcing rot and subsequently rupture, both of which telegraph themselves to anyone with functioning eyes.

The hoses are smooth bore PTFE with a stainless steel over braid.

Hoses and machine are 2 years old and neither haven’t given any trouble 

the customer was just being an assclown 

1 minute ago, goosey said:

The hoses are smooth bore PTFE with a stainless steel over braid.

Hoses and machine are 2 years old and neither haven’t given any trouble 

the customer was just being an assclown 

Or they were trying a really ill-thought-out predictive maintenance programme.

10 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Or they were trying a really ill-thought-out predictive maintenance programme.

When I was a kid, we had a big garden. My dad got sick of mowing the lawn so bought some sheep. 

You don't need to worry about a garden when half a dozen sheep have turned it into a shitty mess of a field 

6 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Sound like a practical and workable system.

Can't be correct surely?

It's like a lot of laws and codes of conduct. They cocoon the kind of consumer who can't run their life at the expense of everyone else.

Spanish s/h car sales are weird anyway. New cars in Spain are cheaper than many other places but used prices are very high. Also, they charge several hundred Euros to change the registration of a vehicle to a new owner.

43 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Can’t see how you’d enforce the two years guarantee on a banger. If you took it back most people would tell you to fuck off, bought privately there is no warranty whatsoever. If it blows up an hour later it’s tough shit.

Isn’t it possible that this is simply an attempt to stop people buying and selling cars privately? 

26 minutes ago, carburettor said:

Isn’t it possible that this is simply an attempt to stop people buying and selling cars privately? 

That's possible, but no dealer in his right mind would offer a 2 year warranty on anything more than a few years old. I'd say many will just say six months guarantee take it or leave it, which is basically what EU law says dealers have to do anyway.

I think it's more a law to "help" poor people that will have the opposite effect, it will drive them off the roads because cheap cars won't be around as they'll be too much of an open ended commitment for anyone, private or trade, to sell.

I’m sure someone will be along quoting all sorts of laws but this is how it works in the real world. It’s no different to most banger traders, they’ll run one business for a year tops, wait whilst the invites to court mount up from people that have bought a clunker then wind up the business and start again. 

People need to get some responsibility about themselves there’s too many rules out there that are unrealistic. Buy a £1,500 Astra from someone’s house and it’s fucked in six months it should be tough shit. Everyone thinks there’s some reset button and if it all goes wrong someone will come and bale you out.

26 minutes ago, New POD said:

Why would that be an aspiration? 

One reason might be that they're more polluting so if people scrap rather than sell them it'll help the Green Deal targets and the car manufacturers.

Another might be cause more to be sold through the motor trade where there can be more control, e.g emission checks.

There'll be others but these are a start.

2 hours ago, chadders said:

One reason might be that they're more polluting so if people scrap rather than sell them it'll help the Green Deal targets and the car manufacturers.

Another might be cause more to be sold through the motor trade where there can be more control, e.g emission checks.

There'll be others but these are a start.

This is why, in theory it’s an aspirational idea, it rids the world of anything over a certain age.

how long does the average car last?