Jump to content

The grumpy thread


outlaw118

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I’m sure there’s a secret ingredient. Some people are practically addicted to McDs. They queue for ages at the drive thru and act like it’s the Holy Grail. It’s a soggy bun and some cheap mince FFS!

There’s a guy I work with has them every day. Apart from the cholesterol it must be racking up it must cost him £30 for dinners alone per week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

 Get that sort of shit with my loan car .

I had a courtesy car a couple of weeks before Christmas. It had enough diesel to get to work. 40 miles. So I put enough diesel in it for the 2 days id been promised (I estimated 40 mpg x 40 miles x4 = 4 gallons. So I put in 20 litres. 

It was more economical than my estimate, I had it 3 days, and handed it in with enough diesel to do 100 miles.  Because that's how it works. 

The Next bastard that has it will do 80 miles and hand it back with the fuel warning light on. Having saved 8 quid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So you put in enough to last 2 days by your estimate and you got 3 days out of it at no additional cost.

I hope that your estimations of your morning cereal allocations are more accurate otherwise you might find yourself hungry and have to eat some of the cakes that a kind person has put by the coffee machine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I’m sure there’s a secret ingredient. Some people are practically addicted to McDs. They queue for ages at the drive thru and act like it’s the Holy Grail. It’s a soggy bun and some cheap mince FFS!

When the one at Boreham services off the A12 reopened in 2020 after the first scamdemic the queue must have been nearly half a mile long with bonus fat lazy coppers to keep order/queue jump. I didn't know whether to laugh or despair (more than usual) at the state of 21st century slack-jawed vacant eyed humanity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Some people are practically addicted to McDs. They queue for ages at the drive thru and act like it’s the Holy Grail. It’s a soggy bun and some cheap mince FFS!

Never seen the fascination with it personally. I'd rather a nice cheese and chutney pickle sannie any day over a burger of dubious origins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chadders said:

So you put in enough to last 2 days by your estimate and you got 3 days out of it at no additional cost.

I hope that your estimations of your morning cereal allocations are more accurate otherwise you might find yourself hungry and have to eat some of the cakes that a kind person has put by the coffee machine.

I'm not used to Deisel fuel consumption.  The omega used to achieve 20 around town, 28 on my commute and 33 on a run up the motorway and my 1.4T Astra has achieved 34 mpg as an average over the last 5 months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Amishtat said:

When the one at Boreham services off the A12 reopened in 2020 after the first scamdemic the queue must have been nearly half a mile long with bonus fat lazy coppers to keep order/queue jump. I didn't know whether to laugh or despair (more than usual) at the state of 21st century slack-jawed vacant eyed humanity. 

Same here. When our local  one opened up after lick down , the drive thru queue bought the town to a standstill as it backed up to the main traffic lights in the town centre, and at one of the services on the M6, they had blocked the entrance . If it had been one where you came straight off the motorway, it would have been really dangerous.

All the more stupid , is they queue for the drive thru, when you could park up and walk in quicker, and you don’t get the smell and grease all over your car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, New POD said:

I'm not used to Deisel fuel consumption.  The omega used to achieve 20 around town, 28 on my commute and 33 on a run up the motorway and my 1.4T Astra has achieved 34 mpg as an average over the last 5 months. 

34mpg on an Astra? Is that town driving I’m assuming?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally cracked and went to the place in town that pressure washes ears. Got an appointment at 2.15,£75! 😭

I'm desperate enough that if it works ill be happy but fuck me it used to be a 10 minute nurses appointment at 07.45 once every 3 months... 

The lady who does it was on her way out but she shoved a torch in me quickly, and the ear I can't hear out of at all isn't too bad, the one with the better hearing is the worse 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Finally cracked and went to the place in town that pressure washes ears. Got an appointment at 2.15,£75! 😭

I'm desperate enough that if it works ill be happy but fuck me it used to be a 10 minute nurses appointment at 07.45 once every 3 months... 

The lady who does it was on her way out but she shoved a torch in me quickly, and the ear I can't hear out of at all isn't too bad, the one with the better hearing is the worse 😂

I thought this would be something you’d have resolved on the NHS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, sierraman said:

34mpg on an Astra? Is that town driving I’m assuming?

Mostly this below. Too many junctions and roundabouts with traffic lights. Too many queues. And then I get onto those country roads with people doing 40 in a 60 and I'm forced to overtake.  

Gets 42 mpg on a straight run at 70 mph with cruise control on. 

Screenshot_20220123-195413_Maps.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Same here. When our local  one opened up after lick down , the drive thru queue bought the town to a standstill as it backed up to the main traffic lights in the town centre, and at one of the services on the M6, they had blocked the entrance . If it had been one where you came straight off the motorway, it would have been really dangerous.

All the more stupid , is they queue for the drive thru, when you could park up and walk in quicker, and you don’t get the smell and grease all over your car.

I've noticed that they seem to treat you as part of the same queue, unless you use the self ordering points. Not that I've been to one since Jan 2020. And have decided I probably never* will again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I thought this would be something you’d have resolved on the NHS?

Always used to be. But when I enquired just before covid hit I was told they don't do it anymore. 

My doctors then went into full 'fuck off and don't come here unless it's for a covid jab' for the last few years so I haven't bothered. Tbh I'm gonna bend over and pay and hear again then maybe call up and enquire if the world calms down in a month or so. 

The car isn't going to sound as smooth or quiet anymore though 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Always used to be. But when I enquired just before covid hit I was told they don't do it anymore. 

My doctors then went into full 'fuck off and don't come here unless it's for a covid jab' for the last few years so I haven't bothered. Tbh I'm gonna bend over and pay and hear again then maybe call up and enquire if the world calms down in a month or so. 

The car isn't going to sound as smooth or quiet anymore though 😂

Its something I have to have done a couple of times a year, every single time when I gets done I swear theres something wrong with the car due to all the new* things I can hear! As my owd Gran used to say after having hers done 'I can hear the grass grow now'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Finally cracked and went to the place in town that pressure washes ears. Got an appointment at 2.15,£75! 😭

I'm desperate enough that if it works ill be happy but fuck me it used to be a 10 minute nurses appointment at 07.45 once every 3 months... 

The lady who does it was on her way out but she shoved a torch in me quickly, and the ear I can't hear out of at all isn't too bad, the one with the better hearing is the worse 😂

Have you tried this stuff ?

Seems to work for me , sounds like Rice Crispies in yer ears !!

IMG_20220125_160547026.thumb.jpg.0f3b0392edab2a5472aebfcb7320e16c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always found the old way the best - big fo syringe filled with hot soapy water, nurse used to fire it in whilst holding a little cup beneath your ear, she'd show you the great big cylinder of wax that had popped out and you'd hear popping and bubbling for a bit but you could hear so well again. Don't do that round our way now, it's a kind of small pressure washer blasting all the crap out. Always disappoints me as there is no large lump of wax to look at anymore just dirty shit coloured liquid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

 

Have you tried this stuff ?

Seems to work for me , sounds like Rice Crispies in yer ears !!

IMG_20220125_160547026.thumb.jpg.0f3b0392edab2a5472aebfcb7320e16c.jpg

No but that's the sort of thing I need to keep it maintained! 

I went, I paid my £75 and can hear again! Might see how much specsavers charge next time, but equally if I don't just leave it until I wake up one morning and they've clogged it might not have to happen for a while

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

I thought this would be something you’d have resolved on the NHS?

Not anymore. Having wax taken out of your ears so you can actually hear is apparently now a lifestyle choice, so not available on the NHS. 

All the NHS will do now is to tell you to put a couple of drops of olive oil in the affected ear daily until it sorts itself out. If you want it sorted faster then you'll have to pay someone to vac it out. 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

No but that's the sort of thing I need to keep it maintained!

Be careful of using anything hydroxide/peroxide based long term, it can dry out the skin in your ear to the extent it can damage it and also the eardrum. For long term maintenance you're best off using the few drops of olive oil (the worst it'll do is give you really well moisturised ears). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because I wear ear defenders a lot(my workplace is an engine room) I get a lot of wax build up; I find that taking really hot showers(as hot as you can bear) and directing the water into the ears repeatedly helps to mobilise it and it mostly comes out on its own. Not an instant fix(one time I was partially deaf in the right ear for a fortnight until a pea sized lump of wax fell out) so don't give up if it doesn't work straight away. It beats having to pay someone to sort it or squirting peroxide in my ears anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Years ago after getting sick of having my ears syringed twice a year I went for the natural Hopi ear candle treatment, very straight forward, lie on your side, fit bird rams a candle type thing in your ear and sets it alight. Ten minutes later its supposed to vacuum all the crap out your ear through the hollow centre of the candle. I don't think it worked, it never seemed too, but my mind was on other things as all I could see was the ample cleavage of the young lass stood in front of me gentle sliding a beeswax lubed candle in and out of my ear. The image has been stored in the wank-bank every since 😂.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mintwth said:

Not anymore. Having wax taken out of your ears so you can actually hear is apparently now a lifestyle choice, so not available on the NHS. 

All the NHS will do now is to tell you to put a couple of drops of olive oil in the affected ear daily until it sorts itself out. If you want it sorted faster then you'll have to pay someone to vac it out. 

Be careful of using anything hydroxide/peroxide based long term, it can dry out the skin in your ear to the extent it can damage it and also the eardrum. For long term maintenance you're best off using the few drops of olive oil (the worst it'll do is give you really well moisturised ears). 

Olive oil is where I'll go, I got a dropper from boots and tried it a fair while ago, will keep doing that every so often! 

I tried the shower trick too, didn't work but again, as a regular wash it will help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too suffer from the occasional deafness brought on be excess ear wax. Slightly improved since I don't have to wear ear plugs every day now.

Never had any luck with the ear drops/olive oil, they just seem to soften it enough that it completely blocks my ear but never enough to actually shift it. Hot water down the lug hole has a similar effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...