The grumpy thread

outlaw118

23 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Anyone?  I've mislaid my 2Sav translation module... 😁

He bought a nice Dawes folding bike.  It was cheap but if the seller had sold it in the home counties it would have been a lot more

12 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Did the same thing years ago with a large Record one that cost about £40 from the boot sale. I was really disappointed, it must have had a hairline crack in it when I bought it that I hadn’t noticed.

Usually the screw will strip before the cast breaks. Obviously use them as intended, pressing big bearings with a bar on the handle is when you should be using a hydraulic press.

11 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Usually the screw will strip before the cast breaks. Obviously use them as intended, pressing big bearings with a bar on the handle is when you should be using a hydraulic press.

It was a suspension strut I had in there at the time, trying to undo the top nut and the vice wasn’t gripping properly, so I was thumping the handle with a lump hammer and it just suddenly let go.

Ive got a (smaller) secondhand Record vice now and haven’t managed to break it yet.

The abuse the ones at work get, which are not particularly good quality, meant I was very surprised that I broke the one at home which had a fraction of the use.

1 hour ago, Gerrymcd said:

Buy cheap, buy twice.

PXL_20220207_182919982.thumb.jpg.9d31992703396302341aeb71afb9a0a0.jpg

I didn't think I was even beating on it that much😂

Thats the ones that keep showing up on Google ads for me .fk knows why I wouldn't go near one. Ranging from 11.99 to 39.99 ....made of cheese but ok if you need help to rip a tissue....

P.s whereabouts are you ? I have s few vices of varying sizes , mainly Record ,if IRC

Oh my fscking god...

It's been a while so I'd forgotten what an utter and complete arse it is trying to set up Windows.

Housemate's laptop had got to the point of literally taking 20+ minutes to boot up to a usable state, so I called time and have stuck an SSD in it and am about to set it back up.

Was still on the original OEM Windows 7 install from 2012...

I've been at it for an hour now and I think I have *just about* got an actual bootable flash drive...

Why do I need to use a fucking special media creation tool from MS?  Why can't I just write an ISO straight to the damned thing like I have with every other OS I've installed since about 2003?!?

Why won't the tool let you select where the damned image is once you've rebooted into Windows (assuming you HAVE a working Windows install, God help you if you don't), rather than downloading all eight bloody gigabytes AGAIN despite the thing already sitting there on the desktop...

71634500_IMG_20220207_2144292.thumb.jpg.df56c085d7fd558fde990c917381dcf0.jpg

*Bashes head against screen*

I've got far too used to...

1. Download ISO image.

2. Open USB Image writer.

3. Write image.

4. Boot from USB stick.

5. Click install.

6. Answer maybe half a dozen questions then wait 10-20 minutes.

7. Done.

Every time it's been a while I forget quite how much I despise every iteration of Windows that has followed XP.

6 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh my fscking god...

It's been a while so I'd forgotten what an utter and complete arse it is trying to set up Windows.

Housemate's laptop had got to the point of literally taking 20+ minutes to boot up to a usable state, so I called time and have stuck an SSD in it and am about to set it back up.

I've been at it for an hour now and I think I have *just about* got an actual bootable flash drive...

Why do I need to use a fucking special media creation tool from MS?  Why can't I just write an ISO straight to the damned thing like I have with every other OS I've installed since about 2003?!?

Why won't the tool let you select where the damned image is once you've rebooted into Windows (assuming you HAVE a working Windows install, God help you if you don't), rather than downloading all eight bloody gigabytes AGAIN despite the thing already sitting there on the desktop...

1. Download ISO image.

3. Write image.

4. Boot from USB stick.

5. Click install.

7. Done.

Every time it's been a while I forget quite how much I despise every iteration of Windows that has followed XP.

Making bootable media for Win10 has been a headache but never annoying for me. What is annoying is all the "help Windows perform better" questionnaire bollocks that the installer is mainly comprised of.

Oh, and the fact the latest update has crippled my 32 bit laptop so much it cannot run a browser and Word at the same time.

16 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Making bootable media for Win10 has been a headache but never annoying for me. What is annoying is all the "help Windows perform better" questionnaire bollocks that the installer is mainly comprised of.

Oh, and the fact the latest update has crippled my 32 bit laptop so much it cannot run a browser and Word at the same time.

Think one of the big problems for me simply is that I don't use Windows...so I probably wasted half an hour trying to get the damned install media to work before giving in and restarting into Windows.  Which of course then wanted to install about 203745192973 updates because I'd not booted it in about three months and promoted me about four times to reboot while I was downloading the media creation tool...all the while badgering me about it having been too long since I had Windows Defender scan my PC and oh look you don't have antivirus software installed...just shut up already and let me get on with what I'm doing...

I've got too used to stuff *just working!*

Edit: I've also just realised that you need to connect to a MS account as part of setup...so much for my intent of handing over a clean laptop with a post it simply saying "here's your temporary password, please change it."

7 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Edit: I've also just realised that you need to connect to a MS account as part of setup...so much for my intent of handing over a clean laptop with a post it simply saying "here's your temporary password, please change it."

Turn the Wi-Fi off when setting up accounts. That's how I got around it.

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Thats the ones that keep showing up on Google ads for me .fk knows why I wouldn't go near one. Ranging from 11.99 to 39.99 ....made of cheese but ok if you need help to rip a tissue....

P.s whereabouts are you ? I have s few vices of varying sizes , mainly Record ,if IRC

I paid £20 quid  😁 To be honest I'm not bothered about it. 

The "yer a cheap shite what did you expect" thread would have been more appropriate. 

Stay in Barrhead mate. 

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh my fscking god...

1. Download ISO image.

3. Write image.

4. Boot from USB stick.

5. Click install.

7. Done.

rufus is your friend here :) https://rufus.ie/en/

if you dont have a pre-existing windows install handy you can make a bootable windows USB stick by actually just strategically copy and pasting the files from the ISO to a correctly formatted USB stick (note manually copy and pasting, only works if the machine supports UEFI booting!)

I do agree tho its much easier when you can just DD the fucker LOL 

53 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

they burry it in the bottom left hand corner of the setup screen but there is a setup with local account option when you get to the "sign in with microsoft account" section

We got there in the end.  The result is a machine that's running lightning quick and is doing everything that it needs to - currently aside from being able to see the network printers, but that's down to the peculiarities of our network I think rather than the computer - nuking our network from orbit is probably going to be one of my bigger projects for this year as some of the issues it has at the moment drive me mad.  There are a bunch of things which just don't work how they should which I want to sort.  Very little of the original kit will be left when I'm done.  Even though it will mean routing even MORE sodding network cables through the house because that's so much fun...

I did try manually setting things up for the installer on a USB stick last time I was doing this - and in doing so managed to completely brick a 32Gb USB stick, so I was reticent to mess around with the partition tables manually on there again...just rebooting and begrudgingly using the MS tool was the lesser of two evils.

19 minutes ago, Bren said:

I had sinuitis and a bad chest after covid.

The antibiotics combined with my inhaler has left me with a very painful mouth - swallowing hot food and drinks is agony. The joys of oral thrush.

I swear I am turning into a giant fucking mushroom...

That sucks. Or blows. I get mouth ulcers from time to time and they're just horrible. It's a continuous nagging pain which makes the thing I like doing most (eating) into a painful ordeal. 

I've tried the various potions they sell which are at best just temporary numbness and don't speed up recovery. 

2 hours ago, Bren said:

I had sinuitis and a bad chest after covid.

The antibiotics combined with my inhaler has left me with a very painful mouth - swallowing hot food and drinks is agony. The joys of oral thrush.

I swear I am turning into a giant fucking mushroom...

Or just an irritable cunt ? 😂

4 hours ago, Bren said:

Apologies if teaching granny to suck eggs here but if it's the beclomethasone type, my GP told me to always rinse my mouth out with water or better still, use the inhaler before brushing your teeth in the mornings and evenings to stop those symptoms.

Had some work done on the car... dropped it off at midday Friday and most of the work was done at the end of the day. I've just received the invoice thinking it'd be £200 or something. Well nope

image.png.371d4110ac427b4d3e6a59714d3100f9.png

Fuck. Only 18% of that is parts. The rest is labour and VAT.

7 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Had some work done on the car... dropped it off at midday Friday and most of the work was done at the end of the day. I've just received the invoice thinking it'd be £200 or something. Well nope

Have you got a full breakdown of what they've not  done

6 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Have you got a full breakdown of what they've not  done

Yes- the maths is rather confusing but I think it's how the invoice is laid out which is causing the confusion. I'll follow this up with a friendly call to the garage.

54 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

What car? What work?