Jump to content

The grumpy thread


outlaw118

Recommended Posts

3 weeks after losing my bike keys, nearly getting a divorce, turning the house upside down, drinking heavily and admitting I must have early onset Alzheimers I replaced all the locks on the bmw bike, a week after replacing all the locks on my bmw bike.  Susan Boyles slightly more eccentric sister stops me on the street outside my house to ask if I've lost some keys... that she found 3 weeks ago outside my house..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but could you hire a car?

I guess it’s not the £40 or whatever the daily cost is, but all the deposits etc they would require of you that might an issue. 

I should add I haven’t hired a (non-classic) car in the U.K. for about 15 years now….

I suspect you need a credit card now for a start. 

 

You're right, I could; although the cost is an issue, even without whatever deposit would be involved.  You're also right about the credit card.  I don't want to load mine any more than they are.  I'm already struggling to make even minimum payments.

It's absurd.  Neither of us is keen to drive (even assuming I used a rental) and one of us wants to avoid the train.  There are times I feel like I'm my own worst enemy, and he's winning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

See, that's what bothers me.  I have always been risk-averse.  I won't do stuff I can't justify to myself somehow, especially if a different path is already laid down in black and white in paperwork that lives in the car.  Also, my "luck" being what it is, you can bet money that at some point in such a trip, I would indeed have an accident.  Regardless of degree or fault, it would be seen as my fault because I simply shouldn't have been there.  Not alone anyway.

The other day I had a Writers' meeting, in the middle of town as usual.  I parked as close as I could, which was still several streets away, and walked the rest with my tripod.  I had taken the Suzuki because the chances of finding a Huggy-sized space are supermodel-thin.  MrsR derived no benefit from that excursion; she wasn't with me and wouldn't have wanted to be.  I suppose one could argue that she gained a couple of hours of peace away from me... but if someone had popped out of a side road and taken the front off the Suzuki, where would I stand?  The scenario isn't as unlikely as it may sound, it's what killed my lovely Scarlet Skateboard MR2 a few years ago (an incident about which I am still burning with rage).

All the above is why I've tried so hard all this time to keep a cheap daily for my own use.

Surely you'd just say you were shopping or picking something for the wife and that would be the end of it, MB fraud is rife I know of a couple of people who have MB cars and the people who should be benefiting from their use have never actually been in the car and one of them lives in a different county,  I hardly think that what you want to do ranks up there with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Surely you'd just say you were shopping or picking something for the wife and that would be the end of it, MB fraud is rife I know of a couple of people who have MB cars and the people who should be benefiting from their use have never actually been in the car and one of them lives in a different county,  I hardly think that what you want to do ranks up there with that.

There have been problems in the past with people using them outside of the agreement rules.

But as you say If Eddy was collecting a newspaper/knitting wool/ packet of crisps for his wife he is perfectly within the law.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Same when I was there. It seems only at quieter hours is the rule actually enforced, because that's the only time they can. Not a single Underground staffperson challenged anyone, either.

Went into Tesco yesterday.  All the younger staff without masks. All the over 60 staff with masks, same with the customers. 

It's like the older staff are trying to protect the younger staff, and the younger staff don't give a shit about the older staff.  That'll be team work then? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Surely you'd just say you were shopping or picking something for the wife and that would be the end of it, MB fraud is rife I know of a couple of people who have MB cars and the people who should be benefiting from their use have never actually been in the car and one of them lives in a different county,  I hardly think that what you want to do ranks up there with that.

Isn't it whether you have disability VED? 

Sister in law is blind.  Has a mobility car which her husband uses to drive her about. He also uses it for work, visits to go bird watching, taking the grandkids to hospital.  I had no idea what taxation class it's in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

It's like the older staff are trying to protect the younger staff, and the younger staff don't give a shit about the older staff. 

Standard procedure. 'The fat man with yellow hair said we don't have to if we don't want to..' etc. Obviously Boris has incorrectly assumed that the younger generation would be considerate towards their elders, which was naive on his part. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Isn't it whether you have disability VED? 

Sister in law is blind.  Has a mobility car which her husband uses to drive her about. He also uses it for work, visits to go bird watching, taking the grandkids to hospital.  I had no idea what taxation class it's in. 

VED may come into it if they decided to prosecute, but the contract is between the disabled person and Motability.

It's a while since I read a contract, but basically the vehicle is for the use of the disabled person, and can be driven by a person named on the Motability insurance, but only for a purpose which  benefit's the disabled person.

It could possibly be argued that going to work and taking grand kids benefits your SiL  Bird watching I'm not so sure. 

https://www.motability.co.uk/about/how-the-scheme-works/how-your-vehicle-can-be-used/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Went into Tesco yesterday.  All the younger staff without masks. All the over 60 staff with masks, same with the customers. 

It's like the older staff are trying to protect the younger staff, and the younger staff don't give a shit about the older staff.  That'll be team work then? 

It's none of my business, really. I don't care whether people wear a mask or don't- we are free to assess the risks to ourselves as an individual and act upon the risk accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

It's none of my business, really. I don't care whether people wear a mask or don't- we are free to assess the risks to ourselves as an individual and act upon the risk accordingly.

So, if you worked with people who might be more vulnerable than you, you'd  happily not assess the risk you are to them.  That will be the ME society.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, New POD said:

So, if you worked with people who might be more vulnerable than you, you'd  happily not assess the risk you are to them.  That will be the ME society.  

I am allowed to assess the risk to myself. If I am fit and healthy and am not ill, am I a risk to anybody else? I don't think so.

Edit: I'll add that I originally wrote "we assess the risk to ourselves" implying every individual assesses the risk to themselves and acts accordingly, hopefully meaning everyone feels that they're doing the right thing for themselves and others. In the eyes of the law, those that choose to wear a mask and those that don't are both right- That's why I say people's decisions to wear or not to wear one is none of my business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mally said:

VED may come into it if they decided to prosecute, but the contract is between the disabled person and Motability.

It's a while since I read a contract, but basically the vehicle is for the use of the disabled person, and can be driven by a person named on the Motability insurance, but only for a purpose which  benefit's the disabled person.

It could possibly be argued that going to work and taking grand kids benefits your SiL  Bird watching I'm not so sure. 

https://www.motability.co.uk/about/how-the-scheme-works/how-your-vehicle-can-be-used/

Thank you sir; that information is very clear and basically describes what we normally do with the car.  Although I have done it, and will occasionally continue to do until my next Roffle win, I still have misgivings about using the Suzuki for my garage clearance; it could be argued that MrsR will see a benefit down the line when I no longer have to pay rent on the lockup, but that's bordering on nebulous, to me.  So a random day out, just me and my sister, 50-100 miles from home... that's really stretching it thin.  I did it last year when I had my Batmobile drive at Wigan.  The drive to and from Seven Sisters was more stressful than it needed to be, for the reasons described above.

The rental option looks good on paper but actually would cost more than just filling Huggy's tank, and I do like to give Huggy a good run.  Both he and I benefit.  But, his wipers are rubbish (always have been, it's common on older American cars) and he leaks a bit, so his use is weather-dependant.  Saying that... I've got a meeting in town this morning, it's not raining and there may well be parking space nearby.  Less than two miles each way, but it'll be the first time I've started the engine in nearly three weeks...  (If I don't take Huggy I don't plan on taking the Suzuki either; I'll ride my bike.  It's close enough to be achievable.)

Just had a thought about this, by the way... you might be wondering why MrsR doesn't just come with me.  The answer is, for the same reason my brother-in-law Kevin doesn't: it's brother-sister time.  We're all each other has left and we barely spoke for nearly 20 years, so we want to make some good memories for ourselves.  Neither of us has any blood-children (both mine are step, from MrsR's first marriage); both our parents are long gone, as are almost all our dad's siblings (we think there's one auntie left; he had three unmarried sisters, one married without kids and two brothers, one of whom married late and had no kids; the other had three who are all in our age bracket).  Our mum was an only child.  So we are quite keen to spend quality time together.

TMI?  Sorry!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we leave it a few more weeks I could call it a Christmas Shopping Day...

@Mally: a book?  LOL!  MrsR wasn't brought up to enjoy reading for pleasure and therefore doesn't now, she never has.  Which actually upsets me because Sis and I were, and have always done so.  I know what my beloved is missing and can't imagine how bare her life is because of that.  But yes, I get what you meant, thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Fumbler said:

It's none of my business, really. I don't care whether people wear a mask or don't- we are free to assess the risks to ourselves as an individual and act upon the risk accordingly.

That's the spirit. As long as you're ok, eh? 

This is the very reason we're in this bloody mess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Micras running rich, refusing to idle when cold or warm RPM all over place even with a known good TPS.  

I've flat out given up, I will sort out the fucking thing being fragged and give up on cars for a bit.

You have the patience of a saint, it clearly wants to die. Just let the fucker go and get something (anything) else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That's the spirit. As long as you're ok, eh? 

This is the very reason we're in this bloody mess.

Who am I to judge others? They might not be wearing a mask for a myriad of reasons, whether it be a disability, mental health or otherwise. It doesn't matter to me and it's none of my business: the law says I am as justified in not wearing one as someone who is. I'm living in a free country that gives me the right to make my decisions and get on with life. That's the bottom line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

You have the patience of a saint, it clearly wants to die. Just let the fucker go and get something (anything) else. 

Not too sure what too get, will take time to get the money together as well.  

Going to sorn the fucker end of this month, and likely have it fragged before Xmas to be rid of it, I could put on a spare TB unit i have here, but when @NorthernMonkey had this unit on the car it refused to settle to an idle without hopping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Not too sure what too get, will take time to get the money together as well.  

Going to sorn the fucker end of this month, and likely have it fragged before Xmas to be rid of it, I could put on a spare TB unit i have here, but when @NorthernMonkey had this unit on the car it refused to settle to an idle without hopping.

Fragged, you say? I'd like some bits plz! Heck, if I had the space is break it myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I'll let you know when it's fate is sealed before the scrap man comes for it.   Is some talk about someones buddy trying another TB unit on it for a hail Mary.

Something's telling me the computer's fucked but I imagine it might be something else. Ideally I'd like the rear parcel shelf, front grille and some other bits, but in reality I'd really love so many things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since the fuel panic buying began I haven't been able to purchase a drop of unleaded because everytime I go out to find some, the three nearest fuel stations are dry.  Today was a little different since two of them had diesel, and were then sold out completely within half an hour.  It's absurd.  Still, I've got 70 miles estimated range in the Maestro so I'm still good for a bit and there's some fuel in the (still broken) Princess if I really get desperate.  I suppose I could just chuck a new head gasket on the Princess and hope for the best, it's everything-exempt now after all due to its age and it'd be nice to drive it again.  I just cba with yet more engine work on that car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Who am I to judge others? They might not be wearing a mask for a myriad of reasons, whether it be a disability, mental health or otherwise. It doesn't matter to me and it's none of my business: the law says I am as justified in not wearing one as someone who is. I'm living in a free country that gives me the right to make my decisions and get on with life. That's the bottom line.

And therein lies the problem. It's generally recommended that masks are worn in public indoor places yet many, particularly the younger generation, have interpreted the guidance as 'only wear a mask if it's a legal requirement'. 

I see my mask wearing as basic etiquette. If the guidance is generally to be a decent person and wear a mask if mixing in a confined place, aside from the tiny percentage of the populous who have a genuine medical reason to not wear one, I interpret the remaining mask non-wearers as lacking in basic etiquette.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

And therein lies the problem. It's generally recommended that masks are worn in public indoor places yet many, particularly the younger generation, have interpreted the guidance as 'only wear a mask if it's a legal requirement'. 

I see my mask wearing as basic etiquette. If the guidance is generally to be a decent person and wear a mask if mixing in a confined place, aside from the tiny percentage of the populous who have a genuine medical reason to not wear one, I interpret the remaining mask non-wearers as lacking in basic etiquette.

Thanks for that, it helps me see the other side of the arguement. While I don't entirely agree with what you've said, it's at least a reasoned argument.

As a young adult I've looked at all the information I could get, the risk of harm people could do to me and the harm I could do to them. I took into account things like my own health, mental health, family health and other things. I looked at the facts I had, considered what was in front of me, weighed up the pros and cons and I made my decision. I still believe it was the right one. I decided not to judge anyone who chose to do things differently to me because we're human and different, and we have the freedom of choice to do what we think is best for ourselves and others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

we have the freedom of choice to do what we think is best for ourselves and others.

Government guidance updated 17th September 2021. 

You're misinterpreting the recommendations. 

Recommendations rely on people being trusted to be sensible and to follow them. 

That's the issue we have in the UK. 

Screenshot_20211008-191126_Chrome.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...