The grumpy thread

outlaw118

12 hours ago, colc said:

As are all "new" car adverts.............as long as it connects to your Faceache ridden phone, and it plugs into the mains, nothing else seems to matter...................

Ah,  ASA rules say they can't convey speed, they can't suggest sex appeal, they cant demonstrate speed...

That's why the adverts are so shite.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It has been up to 32 degrees today in the shade and since I am Norwegian we are almost the human version of polar bears or penguins so it feels like I am going to die. And my cat is furry and black so she walks around meowing and is clearly uncomfortable and trying desperately to cool down something I have to help her with regularly.

Not a lot to be done if you don't have air conditioning; as long as they have shade and water they should be OK, you could experiment with giving them a dampened towel to lie on or freeze a bottle of water and wrap that in a damp cloth and they can use it as a cold equivalent of a hot water bottle.

9 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Not a lot to be done if you don't have air conditioning; as long as they have shade and water they should be OK, you could experiment with giving them a dampened towel to lie on or freeze a bottle of water and wrap that in a damp cloth and they can use it as a cold equivalent of a hot water bottle.

Yes I have tried a bit and what I have found that works to keep the cat cool is to regularly rub my hands full of cold water into her fur. She loves it. I have tried a wet towel but she does not like it.

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

Ah,  ASA rules say they can't convey speed, they can't suggest sex appeal, they cant demonstrate speed...

40 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

We've got Marlboro to thank for starting this ad trend off in the first place. "No, we're not just selling you a cigarette, we're selling you a glorious rural farming lifestyle!"

37 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Be fair though, the Yanks would swallow anything.

..including Hugh Grant, once....

Have begun looking for a new family car to replace the wife’s C5. Decided to look for something a bit newer and with a list of requirements which we wanted. Yesterday I spotted a perfect car, which Mra_b liked, it ticked all the essentials and a few desirables too, but it was a 58 plate, same as the current car, albeit low mileage, and FSH… we dithered. Today we decided no we should go and look - it looks perfect for our needs. So I went to ring them up… only to discover the ad had been taken down during the afternoon… which means we must have narrowly missed out. Now very annoyed at myself. Now every other car advert just looks a poor relation to that one that got away… bugger. 

17 minutes ago, brownnova said:

So I went to ring them up… only to discover the ad had been taken down during the afternoon… which means we must have narrowly missed out.

Back in the days before the internet I saw a Renault 30TX at a local garage and in the time it took me to drive home, phone my insurance broker to see if insuring it would bankrupt me and drive back to the garage they'd sold it. 

14 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It has been up to 32 degrees today in the shade and since I am Norwegian we are almost the human version of polar bears or penguins so it feels like I am going to die. And my cat is furry and black so she walks around meowing and is clearly uncomfortable and trying desperately to cool down something I have to help her with regularly.

Hard to see, the display is hopeless.  Had this a couple of weeks ago - 44.7˚C!

The probe for this was beside an alcohol thermometer in the garden that I suspected was being very optimistic but not so, they both read the same to within a degree.

In February it registered 33˚, I was painting the fence at the time.  4˚ the following day and snowing.

It is in a very sheltered part of the garden and direct sunlight.  Was 46˚ last Sunday but can't find that photo.

DSCF3249.JPG

It gets so hot that the patio door expands and can't be opened.  Almost locked myself out a few days ago.

45 minutes ago, Wack said:

Slight shudder on the steering that's been there since I got the car , looks like a tyre might be the problem though I hadn't noticed that before 

What do we think, put it on the back or a new tyre , it's a 4x4 so it won't be one will it 

I'm thinking it's fucked 

20210722_103037.jpg

That looks like it's been rammed up a kerb very fucking hard indeed.  I'd shove it on the rear and see if it vibrates.  If it does, sack it off.

17 minutes ago, myglaren said:

The probe for this was beside an alcohol thermometer in the garden that I suspected was being very optimistic but not so, they both read the same to within a degree.

In February it registered 33˚, I was painting the fence at the time.  4˚ the following day and snowing.

It is in a very sheltered part of the garden and direct sunlight.  Was 46˚ last Sunday but can't find that photo.

DSCF3249.JPG

It gets so hot that the patio door expands and can't be opened.  Almost locked myself out a few days ago.

Temperature needs to be taken in the shade, not in direct sunlight, its pointless otherwise and utterly meaningless, my mother used to bang on about how hot it was at her place in Alicante and that they regularly saw 50 degrees plus, I moved her thermometer when I went over there and now the hottest its been was 41 which is about right.

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

DSCF3249.JPG

In the sun it was over 40 here yesterday. But do not look forward to the summers to come as it will probably only get warmer. So will probably have to consider buying air conditioning in the near future.  It's crazy to think that half a year ago in January / February I had minus 22 here at the coldest.

Echo the comment about about direct sunlight.  The reading means nothing, as it then depends on the solar gain of the sensor head, which will massively vary between designs.  Temperature should always be taken out of direct sunlight, ideally in a shaded spot with reasonable airflow.

If you want to go for ultimate measurement geek points, a stevenson screen is what you need.  They're pretty cheap too, so if anyone is doing this sort of thing for a weather station or similar, it would be well worth it so that the reading can be relied upon.

Purchased a expensive BBQ the other day, only to find that it's missing 50 screws/ bolts. No issue i thought I'll just buy some, NOPE. not a chance. 

the BBQ is for the americian market, Kitchen Aid, and the screws some are UNC, some are god knows what. the guy at west brom fasteners, who have been in business for many years, couldn't pin down what the one was, the size is 5/32-32 x 5/32 with no thread description etc. I think it's a BSW thread, but the other is a UNC thread. why would they mix them like that? 

I could have taken this back, but i had the very last one that was for sale across all the stock. and i very much like the look & quality of it, so i shall have to put google to good use and order a range of screws and see what works! 

KitchenAid 2 Burner Stainless Steel Gas Barbecue Grill With Cover*FREE DELIVERY*

On 7/22/2021 at 7:44 AM, colc said:

As are all "new" car adverts.............as long as it connects to your Faceache ridden phone, and it plugs into the mains, nothing else seems to matter...................

The ultra cool hipster ticking all the boxes warbling on about how much he loves his electric 500 really makes this one stand out 

43 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Fire off a shitty email to head office, might get you a full refund or a discount to cover the bits you need to source. If you don't ask you don't get 🤞

Kitchen aid dont actually sell this in the UK direct, so Kitchen aid were as much use as a chocolate fire guard. I've emailed a customer service for the place that supplied it, noting back as of yet.  I shall give it the weekend and then chase again. 

1 hour ago, stephen01 said:

Purchased a expensive BBQ the other day, only to find that it's missing 50 screws/ bolts. No issue i thought I'll just buy some, NOPE. not a chance. 

the BBQ is for the americian market, Kitchen Aid, and the screws some are UNC, some are god knows what. the guy at west brom fasteners, who have been in business for many years, couldn't pin down what the one was, the size is 5/32-32 x 5/32 with no thread description etc. I think it's a BSW thread, but the other is a UNC thread. why would they mix them like that? 

I could have taken this back, but i had the very last one that was for sale across all the stock. and i very much like the look & quality of it, so i shall have to put google to good use and order a range of screws and see what works! 

KitchenAid 2 Burner Stainless Steel Gas Barbecue Grill With Cover*FREE DELIVERY*

B.A looks close but it does look a strange size

BA Thread pitch Outside diameter Threads density Outside diameter Spanner
(mm) (mm) (tpi) (in) (mm) (in)
0 1.00 6.00 25.40 0.2362 10.5000 0.4134
1 0.90 5.30 28.22 0.2087 9.2750 0.3652
2 0.81 4.70 31.36 0.1850 8.2250 0.3238
3 0.73 4.10 34.79 0.1614 7.1750 0.2825
4 0.66 3.60 38.48 0.1417 6.3000 0.2480
5 0.59 3.20 43.05 0.1260 5.6000 0.2205
6 0.53 2.80 47.92 0.1102 4.9000 0.1929
7 0.48 2.50 52.92 0.0984 4.3750 0.1722
8 0.43 2.20 59.07 0.0866 3.8500 0.1516
9 0.39 1.90 65.13 0.0748 3.3250 0.1309
10 0.35 1.70 72.57 0.0669 2.9750 0.1171

1 hour ago, stephen01 said:

It’s good to hear West Brom Fasteners are still going, they are a Bostin set of blokes 👍🏻

19 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Boring shit

We get commercials with people doing burnouts and donuts and driving fast off-road. Quite a lot of fun. 

Only brands like Lexus are all IT ALLOWS YOU YOU CONNECT YOUR PHONE AND THEN IT'LL BRAKE WHEN YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

Electric car commercial.

If you can't seem an electric car based upon it being good for the environment, let's sell it in the fact it'll do a 4-wheel burnout just by stamping on the go pedal. 

Why not make electric rude fun? I'm sure that'd sell a few units.

Phil

On 7/20/2021 at 9:02 AM, yohan said:

You are right in that he needs help, but I think in more ways then just running a business, since he cant even work a ruler when I ask him to measure the diameter of a hole, so that I dont have to drive half an hour there and half an hour back to determine which version of a part fits his strimmer.

Since Im only a mobile mechanic and not a dealer, I had pointed out where and what to buy.  But he has neither got the money (living in a sink estate) nor even heard of such lofty brands as john deere or husqvarna… 

There was a youngster opposite me, admittedly not the sharpest tool in the box, started up a gardening round in the village about 10 years ago. Cheap petrol mower and strimmer, second hand hand tools, and a trolley to pull it about on. Turns out he was bloody good at it, had lots of regular customers, but was chucking his money around rather than back into his business. He was doing my hedge one day when I asked him about how much tax he was paying. Stupid thing to ask really, as I could guess the answer. I rang my mate who came over immediately (he's an accountant), who took him under his wing (for a price, obviously). 

8 years later the lad had a new LWB van, a mini tractor and various attachments, a small excavator with buckets, a few decent mowers and brush cutters, and his two brothers as employees. He works bloody hard, and I'm pleased for him. 

On 7/22/2021 at 10:29 AM, MikeR said:

caught yet another mouse .....

must be in the high teens now ..

they must breed like rabbits .

You don't want them too. My front garden often looks like the room Bishop Brennan had in Father Ted's house.

5 hours ago, Talbot said:

Echo the comment about about direct sunlight.  The reading means nothing, as it then depends on the solar gain of the sensor head, which will massively vary between designs.  Temperature should always be taken out of direct sunlight, ideally in a shaded spot with reasonable airflow.

If you want to go for ultimate measurement geek points, a stevenson screen is what you need.  They're pretty cheap too, so if anyone is doing this sort of thing for a weather station or similar, it would be well worth it so that the reading can be relied upon.

I've two weather stations and placed one sensor at the front of the house, the other at the back. Internal temperatures agree all the time, the front sensor shows a higher temperature in the morning, the back does so in the in the afternoon. 

Hermes!

Never had a problem before, nice lady, always hides my stuff if I'm not in.

Tracking, deliver Wed.  No!

Saw her Thurs, anything for me? 22 no not today,

Should have come yesterday, oh really sorry about that, OK not your fault love.

Tracking, your item will be delivered Fri between 10 and 12.  No!

1-45, we tried to deliver but no one in. we will try again.

I was in from 10 till 2 waiting for you. It's small enough to fit my letterbox.

It's that small you've bleedin lost it.

I had to go to Halfords and buy a cheap plastic one.

Hermes are utter cunts

They managed to lose a brand new chainsaw I sold on here.

As it was not bought from amazon or eBay and came from my FIL's shed they would not accept its value I claimed for, which I insured against, and will not pay out or even refund postage costs, they have put every obstruction possible in the way and have closed the claim leaving me with no chainsaw, having to refund the buyer and paying for postage and tracking which was fucking worthless.

I'll repeat

HERMES ARE UTTER CUNTS

USE THEM AT YOUR PERIL.