The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I did ponder going online with my prescription, but a new GP at the surgery a couple of years ago resulted in a tech revolution locally and I can now email for repeats and they are reliably ready in the pharmacy within a week, sometimes within 2-3 days. The previous faff of having to phone up and convince Philomena of insufficient light at reception I was worthy or fill in an actual piece of paper and physically handing it in to the surgery was a pain in the bum.

16 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I did ponder going online with my prescription, but a new GP at the surgery a couple of years ago resulted in a tech revolution locally and I can now email for repeats and they are reliably ready in the pharmacy within a week, sometimes within 2-3 days. The previous faff of having to phone up and convince Philomena of insufficient light at reception I was worthy or fill in an actual piece of paper and physically handing it in to the surgery was a pain in the bum.

My surgery uses AskMyGP. It's great, it's like a webchat for GPs.  Got a sick note for work when I'd Covid in 24hrs without having to speak to reception or hold the phone for 3 hours. 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Oooh I can go back to ordering a kebab then sitting outside the pub for half an hour whilst I wait, fab! Doombar please... 

1611657290_SmartSelect_20210522-180113_NovaLauncher.thumb.jpg.612dac9cbb7b21cc195d7f8523d06648.jpg

Yea I'll nurse this one, thanks... 

Is there a serving wench lifting the glass to your lips? Bloody hell, no wonder I didn't go in pubs much even before this.

On 18/05/2021 at 08:13, New POD said:

Use of a soldering iron to put the address on, is quite effective. 

Until you cancel the contract, the Council/contractor (e.g. Biffa) then want their bin back and permanently engraved bin can’t be cleaned and re-used. Many councils and contractors do this and then charge the customer for damage to their property.

fuck me is eddie jordan still alive??

not watched F1 for years but watch monaco or canada if its on if i remember its on

highlights are on channel 4 now and from 6.30 till 9

why!!!?!?!?!?!?!!

proabaly more than half an hour blabbing at the front and likely that at the end

even live the race is 2 hours or less (F1 rools - has been like that for years)

fuck coulthard too

fuck it gonna watch athetics and john williams instead

and i was gonna walk to the chippy but it started pissing down so had a bowl of soup instead

i hate sundays

NFTs are a big old scam.  When they first popped up on my radar they sounded like a good way for digital artists to finally have some ability to put some sort of provenance on their work and protect it from theft.  It soon became apparent that's not what NFTs are about at all.  They're a speculative gambling of the sort enjoyed by stock market dabblers only with the added problem of hideous energy consumption.  Far from protecting digital creators, they are often now used to profit from the work of digital creators who never see a penny from some really obscene sums of money.

It's little more than a money laundering scheme.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:08 PM, colc said:

Why anybody goes to the chemist to pick up prescriptions baffles me.... used Pharmacy  2U for years.....never a problem 

Not all surgeries work with those providers (my local one being one such example), and given how regularly they absolutely foul up my prescriptions it's pretty much essential for me to open the bag there and then to make sure they've given me what I requested - and indeed my prescription.  I've had someone else's before.

There are several meds which they won't send as well, including two of the epilepsy meds my husband is on are on.

We did look into it a while ago after one of the delivery mobs dropped fliers through our letter box.

The Council have completely closed the main Road from the west in and out of Bonnybridge for 5 whole days. 

It's full of potholes and ruts so this was originally not a grump as I was glad they were fixing it.

However I was walking back from dropping the car off at the garage for new brake flexis and I noticed that the poor condition section remains open. Instead the section that is closed it about 100 metres further back which needs no repairs. Instead, they are digging it up to bring services into the adjacent vacant land where about 100 luxury* egg boxes will be built. This was formerly occupied by Council Social Services offices and they probably made a tidy sum on the sale of that. 

So the only reason they are 'working' on the road is because there's even more fucking money in it for them.

Bastards.

eBay sellers who can't be arsed to make even a token effort at packaging things to withstand the rigours of the postal system.

Just received an empty bag, contents of which are probably rattling around in the back of the postie's van or the sorting office.

IMG_20210524_132052.thumb.jpg.8f581946c50e0ce8216e18de5f91c2cf.jpg

IMG_20210524_132950.thumb.jpg.60ae55555742e67714efe9643c2f3068.jpg

Now to see if the seller will refund/replace the missing items.

4 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

eBay sellers who can't be arsed to make even a token effort at packaging things to withstand the rigours of the postal system.

Just received an empty bag, contents of which are probably rattling around in the back of the postie's van or the sorting office.

IMG_20210524_132052.thumb.jpg.8f581946c50e0ce8216e18de5f91c2cf.jpg

Now to see if the seller will refund/replace the missing items.

They should do, I had a head unit that wasn't packaged right and they replaced it as they screen came cracked. 

Quite quickly too. Think it was a prepaid Royal Mail 48 tracking label that I got within hours from the seller/eBay

My long-suffering Model M:20210512_212928.thumb.jpg.14e980dbd08afefef92275b0040122de.jpg

Used almost continuously for over 30 years now,  mostly by me.  Almost no deterioration.  I don't know it's exact date, but from memory it's a 1987 model.

Mine's not the same model as yours, as it's a large-enter key model.  I've tried typing on a small-enter key one before now and kept missing it.  Every day when I'm at work I despise the soft-squidgy keyboard I have to use.  My typing accuracy and speed is so much better on a Model M.

Relevant to this thread too, as I'm not allowed to use a Model M in the office.  Apparently it's "too loud".  So the bloke who sits across from me and bellows at teams calls at 110dB is fine, but I can't use a decent quality keyboard that is fractionally louder than a normal one??  Bearing in mind I spend 70% of my day typing emails/documents etc??

Twats.

I remember some years ago I worked beside , but not on the same physical desk as a chap called Paul. 

He was a brilliant guy but I used to take the piss out of his typing, the noise of which didn't bother me in the slightest, but someone had obviously complained.  He was a big man who used to be a  welder and such was the force of his 2 finger typing that the whole 6 person desk used to shake from side to side as he struck his way through the paragraph.  He had tried everything, the latest was a 'soft touch' keyboard but to no avail. I thought it was funny and so did he, one of those bad boys above would have done him perfectly, fuck everyone else!

I like a Subaru Forester , a low mileage one just came up in the classifieds so out of curiosity I had a look on eBay 

Found a Turbo on a 07 plate with 37,000 miles on it sold for £1750 

Screenshot_20210524-164308_eBay.thumb.jpg.02c1ec83da82d3e4d5abb3e53bd11bb1.jpg

Wow I thought until I read the listing 

Does that really say sold for scrap because the elderly owner said so , so a low mileage sought after car has to be broken up for parts , what a waste 

Screenshot_20210524-164350_eBay.thumb.jpg.ef16f0a87bfd9dc90c9aeff7af01edcb.jpg

On 5/22/2021 at 3:36 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

The article I saw was about a video that "sold" for just over£1million. It's a video that has had millions of downloads, so I cannot grasp how something that has been dowloaded millions of times has any value at all.

Emperor's new clothes indeed.

Edit: This video has been viewed some 880 million times and is up for a non-fungible token auction next week. Read the video description as to why. Sounds completely bonkers to me.

https://youtu.be/7mcAsxPKYZg 

The "Charlie Bit My Finger" video sold for £538,000 earlier today. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57227290

The World is totally bonkers

On 5/23/2021 at 8:08 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

Its pissing down here, but thats not the grump.

When it rains it pretty much knocks out my satellite TV and through the air internet.

Forecast is for rain until 02.00 hours, so that's no Match of the Day for me then.

Use Google Chrome. Cast from PC or lap top. Or move somewhere where the storm did not cover. 😉

6 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Use Google Chrome. Cast from PC or lap top. Or move somewhere where the storm did not cover. 😉

Cast what exactly? if there is no incoming data there's nothing to cast :D