The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Monday's tend to be a bit quieter for me, so I thought I'd have a good browse through my three favourite forums (fora?) and Facebook groups.

Jesus. Fucking Christ.

Look, in a bid to make things a bit easier for those who are new to the whole process of selling a car (and I appreciate that - to some of us - it's not something we do too often) I've simplified it into this flowchart. 

Seriously, follow it and you can't go wrong.  I've also labelled it (badly) in pink so as to be fashionable.

Please, for the love of Christ, use it.

You're welcome.

800978600_IsItForSaleMate.thumb.png.60f0db294527bc9724bb14117dbcbc41.png

21 hours ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Just been down to the bottom of my garden for the first time in months to find some cunt has broken into my garden shed😪 Nothing stolen as far as I can tell as it was virtually empty so I am more annoyed about the broken door.

Probably a bit premature (I am not even 40 yet) but can anyone recommend a country I can retire to where people respect the notion of private property and don't fuck with other people's shit? Or is the whole world like this nowadays?

Just reminds me of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction ‘You just don’t fuck with another mans automobile!’

45 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Monday's tend to be a bit quieter for me, so I thought I'd have a good browse through my three favourite forums (fora?) and Facebook groups.

Jesus. Fucking Christ.

Look, in a bid to make things a bit easier for those who are new to the whole process of selling a car (and I appreciate that - to some of us - it's not something we do too often) I've simplified it into this flowchart. 

Seriously, follow it and you can't go wrong.  I've also labelled it (badly) in pink so as to be fashionable.

You're welcome.

I don’t understand this ‘testing the waters’ thing, we’re talking cars here no? Not floating a company on the NASDAQ. 

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Never record in HD, Always watching something whilst recording something to replace it with.... 

She plays the sky programme listings like she's playing the stock market, shuffling, rescheduling, making reminders on her ipad about when programmes are on more than a week in advance etc etc ... 

I've definitely heard that I can do a reboot* using a lump hammer. 

Ive just looked at the planner, still got the first film recorded on this box unwatched... March 2015 😵😵😵

She has also still got the original sky+ box from prior to 2015 upstairs just in case she wants to watch some of the other programmes and that box is full as well😵😵😵

Sky+is about her limit, never used Netflix or Chromecast  or whatever they are called... 

Help me please ☹️

Your in the sky trap. So many recordings to watch you can no longer watch new stuff. 

Was glad when i fucked the lot off. If you don't watch any sky specific channels you can get 2tb freeview/free sat HD recording boxes for the cost of a few months subs

On sky q when you stop paying its all gone too, my TV episode I was in  was on ours and I never got it off before cancelling (meh) 

15 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Your in the sky trap. So many recordings to watch you can no longer watch new stuff. 

Was glad when i fucked the lot off. If you don't watch any sky specific channels you can get 2tb freeview/free sat HD recording boxes for the cost of a few months subs

On sky q when you stop paying its all gone too, my TV episode I was in  was on ours and I never got it off before cancelling (meh) 

Yup, I got off that wagon a few years ago and never looked back.

Easiest way is just to reformat the hard drive through the settings, then tell the wife to get off her arse and stop watching the idiot box so much.

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Jesus. Fucking Christ.

You're welcome.

Thats brilliant !! 

The clutch master cylinder has stopped leaking since i took the cable tie off the push rod and fitted a star clip and washer , now the off side outer tie rod end is rattling , i will pick up one on Friday if the weather is warmer/not raining/no family kick offs ....

Re the sky box, innocently leave a discreet massive magnet on top of the box for a few days, it will start crying and then you'll be forced* to install the new one.

Old programs will be lost but luckily sky boxes are absolute dogshite so do this all the time anyway, the perfect cover story.

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

In fact, if the thing is 99% full it will probably fall over and require a reformat quite soon even if you do nothing.

That was sky's answer when I complained that the provided broadband router would hard crash if I copied files across my network. Never banged my head on the desk so hard... 

I ordered 5 L of cellulose from Autopaints of Brighton the weekend before last. The listing definitely states that their courier delivers to Ireland, then on Wednesday they say they are looking for a courier? Then nothing until this morning, so I asked what was happening. "The courier hasn't got back to us". They can give me a full refund, or maybe I'd like to find a courier? Just replied pointing out that they might actually chase it up with the courier themselves.

So... the Nondeo has packed up today, the repair by ECU Repairs hasn’t worked. I’ve had a year out of it, after ripping it to bits and breaking it it’ll have cost me about £60 in costs per month which in all fairness isn’t that bad compared to what a lot of people lose on cars, it’s took me all over the country so I don’t suppose I can complain too bitterly.

Anyway you’d have thought I’d caused the collapse of Barings with the cry’s I’ve had of ‘go and borrow £10,000 and buy a new car with a warranty!!!!’ Fair enough for some people that might be the solution, good for them. However in light of the fact that at the latest forecast the unemployment rate is about to rival the early 1980’s I’d sooner not end up with my bollocks on the financial anvil. Suggesting I repeat the process and pick up another cheap car and repeat has been likened to stuffing 50’s in the hearth. I can afford outright to buy a car for £1,000 and not be a slave to a finance deal that in all honesty I fundamentally couldn’t afford. Why on earth can’t people accept it!!!

2 hours ago, artdjones said:

I ordered 5 L of cellulose from Autopaints of Brighton the weekend before last. The listing definitely states that their courier delivers to Ireland, then on Wednesday they say they are looking for a courier? Then nothing until this morning, so I asked what was happening. "The courier hasn't got back to us". They can give me a full refund, or maybe I'd like to find a courier? Just replied pointing out that they might actually chase it up with the courier themselves.

Unusual, they're pretty good normally.

Just now, High Jetter said:

Unusual, they're pretty good normally.

That's what I'd heard, although I did email them about the paint code months ago and got no reply. But I have emailed companies in Britain and Ireland off their websites maybe 15-20 times and only ever had one reply. Take a bow, Cheltenham Welding Supplies. It was a very helpful reply, too.

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough - you haven't met my missus, I presume.

I did a complete reset on a previous box, it was great she didn't talk to me for days, the food supply/kitchen service got a bit crap but she got the hang of it again eventually 👍

15 hours ago, sierraman said:

I don’t understand this ‘testing the waters’ thing, we’re talking cars here no? Not floating a company on the NASDAQ. 

My car is for sale. Or is it?  I know the exact price I'd need to get for it to be sold.  This figure is alot more than I paid and alot more than its worth on the open market, but if you ask me I'll tell you I haven't thought about it. 

I have, but you'll all think.im.a wanker.

And Nobody is going to spend £45 on a roffle ticket.  No without speending £100 on drugs. 

Must start a for sale post. 

New fan motor for the dehumidifier finally arrived - after two and a half months.

Despite the dimensions on the listing being identical it's a good 15mm smaller in diameter terms than the original one.  The wires are different colours and all the text on the label which would give some clue as to what's what are in Chinese which Google Translate can't translate.

I can probably fudge together the mounting arrangements as it doesn't need to be perfectly centred in the housing but working out the wiring is going to be annoying as I'll need to faff about with a meter ohming out the windings.  Had really hoped after £40 and nearly three months this would be a drop in replacement!

8 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

New fan motor for the dehumidifier finally arrived - after two and a half months.

Despite the dimensions on the listing being identical it's a good 15mm smaller in diameter terms than the original one.  The wires are different colours and all the text on the label which would give some clue as to what's what are in Chinese which Google Translate can't translate.

I can probably fudge together the mounting arrangements as it doesn't need to be perfectly centred in the housing but working out the wiring is going to be annoying as I'll need to faff about with a meter ohming out the windings.  Had really hoped after £40 and nearly three months this would be a drop in replacement!

Look on the bright side, at least something MOSTLY matching what you ordered showed up, ya never know with these cowboys!

(but yeah I get the frustration of, waiting a long time to fix something and then you still cant do so right away even once the new part shows up)

do you have a picture of the motor and it label? im curious if I can find anything on it like I managed the old one :) 

46 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Pretty sure I've got it figured out now, not hard to work out what's where purely based on the resistance measurements.

IMG_20210309_131531.thumb.jpg.0b47e25f65570bb0d0b5d79822a36a08.jpg

Edit... diagram shows five wires.  Motor only has four.  They've bloody missed the high speed connection.

if its any help going from top to bottom on the wiring diagram on the right

I think its saying

Yellow

Black

Fast Red

Middle white

Slow Blue

on the missing connection, is it possible to open up the motor and connect it?

and the thing with the 4 is how many poles the motor has

I cant get a reliable translation for the name/Mfg of the motor sadly

(yes I did fire up google translate on my iPad and point it at the picture opened on its own on my computer screen LOL)

7 hours ago, New POD said:

My car is for sale. Or is it?  I know the exact price I'd need to get for it to be sold.  This figure is alot more than I paid and alot more than its worth on the open market, but if you ask me I'll tell you I haven't thought about it. 

I have, but you'll all think.im.a wanker.

And Nobody is going to spend £45 on a roffle ticket.  No without speending £100 on drugs. 

Must start a for sale post. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that half the private cars for sale aren’t actually for sale, all you get is ‘ring us in a week and we’ll sort something out’

11 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

if its any help going from top to bottom on the wiring diagram on the right

I think its saying

Yellow

Black

Fast Red

Middle white

Slow Blue

on the missing connection, is it possible to open up the motor and connect it?

and the thing with the 4 is how many poles the motor has

I cant get a reliable translation for the name/Mfg of the motor sadly

(yes I did fire up google translate on my iPad and point it at the picture opened on its own on my computer screen LOL)

Same conclusion I came to.  The common wire isn't actually attached to anything either according to the meter.

Attempted to start the refund process and wind up with this every time you click submit.

IMG_20210309_141004.thumb.jpg.05653eaa3dfecd9df564de737a15228e.jpg

It then kicks you back out to the homepage and you have to start over from scratch.

Yep...this has confirmed that I will never be buying anything from AliExpress again, ever.

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Same conclusion I came to.  The common wire isn't actually attached to anything either according to the meter.

Attempted to start the refund process and wind up with this every time you click submit.

IMG_20210309_141004.thumb.jpg.05653eaa3dfecd9df564de737a15228e.jpg

Yep...this has confirmed that I will never be buying anything from AliExpress again, ever.

sorry to hear its not working out 

long shot but is there any way to contact the manufacturer of the dehumidifier and see if they will sell you a replacement motor?

is this AliExpress special motor repairable or workable still in anyway? 

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

sorry to hear its not working out 

long shot but is there any way to contact the manufacturer of the dehumidifier and see if they will sell you a replacement motor?

is this AliExpress special motor repairable or workable still in anyway? 

Given that one of the key connections is to fresh air, it's basically a paperweight.  I'm not opening it up at this stage as that's not happening until after any dispute resolution options have been thoroughly exhausted.

Ordering this chunk of crap was a long shot already having thoroughly exhausted any hope of finding spares from the manufacturer.  Their approach to repairs is very much "if it's under warranty, send it back we'll send you a new unit..." Rather than providing any component level support.