Jump to content

The grumpy thread


Recommended Posts

Super fast* internet is coming to my area! Which means the twunts are digging up and making a mess out of all the pavements. They've piled all this shit against my wall. Under the pile of shit is my internet cable, place odds now of it surviving useless twat and his mini digger?

IMG_20210216_163516.thumb.jpg.dc0fc9d06311610299690bdc5de97769.jpg

It's a solution to a none existent problem. There's 60 meg from BT if you want it. Or you can have 300 from virgin cable. So why would you go with some 20 years too late start up that's bound to be shit?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone familiar with Kent may know that the council goes gung-ho with roadworks on the holidays. They had closed Hawkhurst highstreet from the A21 junction to the crossroads in the centre of the town on Monday morning.

The diversion is no problem at all, but on the following day they've decided digging up and closing half of the (already) congested diversion is a smashing idea. Kent County Council never fails to surprise me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakebullet said:

Super fast* internet is coming to my area! Which means the twunts are digging up and making a mess out of all the pavements. They've piled all this shit against my wall. Under the pile of shit is my internet cable, place odds now of it surviving useless twat and his mini digger?

IMG_20210216_163516.thumb.jpg.dc0fc9d06311610299690bdc5de97769.jpg

It's a solution to a none existent problem. There's 60 meg from BT if you want it. Or you can have 300 from virgin cable. So why would you go with some 20 years too late start up that's bound to be shit?

City Fibre? Or should I call them Shitty Fibre...

They seem to hire the same bunch of hapless cowboys to dig up the roads everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

I wouldn’t wheel the welder out for £25 quid ! Esp when you take the vat off that 

Yes but you are a proper garage.

My mate would stick the £25 in his wallet and buy me a drink when the pubs open.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Anyone familiar with Kent may know that the council goes gung-ho with roadworks on the holidays. They had closed Hawkhurst highstreet from the A21 junction to the crossroads in the centre of the town on Monday morning.

The diversion is no problem at all, but on the following day they've decided digging up and closing half of the (already) congested diversion is a smashing idea. Kent County Council never fails to surprise me.

Local council not speaking to the county council? Different roads may be looked after by different orgs. Still stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Yet again, silly bollocks gets herself involved and I'm on the losing side.

She goes in my shed. Chucks the keys on the side. Something I never do.

So obviously assuming she isn't an idiot I lock up.

So now we have back door key and shed key locked in shed. Behind a fairly new £20 Squire padlock.

Can someone tell Clark's to start opening again and get her out of the way?

Didn't the padlock come with more than one key...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, captain_70s said:

...makes a noticeable difference to performance/handling/economy when in the boot of a car with only 70bhp.

 

 

Struggling to comprehend this after bringing home a fortnight's shopping (inc. beer ration) in a 28BHP Citroen, which is itself currently more powerful than the Vito (about 10 horses as we speak).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

City Fibre? Or should I call them Shitty Fibre...

They seem to hire the same bunch of hapless cowboys to dig up the roads everywhere.

That's the ones. Taking yonks to do it and making a shitty mess in the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Local council not speaking to the county council? Different roads may be looked after by different orgs. Still stupid.

I believe it's Tunbridge Wells Borough Council which is doing these as Hawkhurst is just inside the borough. This would explain a lot as they're equally hopeless in their home town, which happens to be one of the busiest in the county IIRC. Stupidly enough all this work is given the go-ahead by the county council and everything has their branding on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been waiting a week for a skip to be dropped off at my place, 5 days for the gardener to come and spray my weeds (I cannot get a permit to buy proper weedkiller), and 4 days for the tree surgeon to come and prune the fir trees (for which you need a special permit).

The "manana" attitude here is pissing me off immensely once more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, clayts450 said:

Spoken to my local indie - earliest they can fit it in for replacement is next Tuesday. No van, no work. Bollox

Meh.  Take the spring out, grind the end square, swipe of paint over it, wallop it back in.  Springs seem to fracture the last couple of inches off quite regularly these days, it's to do with how they are hung while being heat-treated which causes a stress riser.  There are probably thousands and thousands of vehicles running about with a broken spring.  If it still drives ok, I'd keep driving it.  That much spring missing probably makes less difference to the ride-height than having a toolbox in the passenger footwell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

TBF, it doesn't look as if it's leaning on the front offside (it was only half a coil after all), and I drove 349 miles yesterday in blissful ignorance without a kitten/children/nun killing frenzy ensuing. However, the issue is I don't do spring compressors - leave that to the professionals I say. And yes, I don't wear big boy pants.

Bodge jobs don't work in the transport industry, sadly, as Sam noted above. DVSA would be on it like a tramp on chips. Just cannot take that risk, I'm afraid.

But yes, you're right about the many thousands of cars running around with broken springs which only get picked up at the MoT.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a Zafira running round with 3 that broke between the mot prior and the mot it failed because I didn't even think to check. Zero difference before or after bar it rode a bit better as I replaced the fucked rear shocks with cheap ones whilst I was there (unhooked both at the bottom to drop the axle to drop the springs and they just fell to full xtension... Gr8) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Yet again, silly bollocks gets herself involved and I'm on the losing side.

She goes in my shed. Chucks the keys on the side. Something I never do.

So obviously assuming she isn't an idiot I lock up.

So now we have back door key and shed key locked in shed. Behind a fairly new £20 Squire padlock.

Can someone tell Clark's to start opening again and get her out of the way?

Give the padlock body a sharp whack with a hammer on the top right, where the endy bit of the loop 'clicks' into the body. If your skilled/lucky they just pop open. Even if it doesn't work it's cost nothing

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuckwit customers at work. 

At least twice a week I have this conversation with people that knock on the door: 
 


'yes?'
'are you open?'

there is a bright orange sign on the door that says 'welcome, we are open', and another that says 'please knock' below it. 

'...Yes...'
'I've got a bike I want to bring down, is that alright?'
'yes, do you have it with you?'
'no, I wanted to see if you were open first'
[aneurysm]
'well bring it in at your leisure'

They never fucking come back. 

Do these morons not own telephones? The shop has a mobile phone number and a Messenger account...

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I worked for a week at a small record store, we used to have chavs come in asking for the "nu monkey" tapes.  I was told to tell them they were in the window.  They would go out and look at them in the window, then walk off.

 

Not one was ever sold.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard not to say 'no' to people that ask if the shop is open. 

Or my desired response, which is 'let me just check with the Pope, oh wait, HE'S TAKING A SHIT IN THE WOODS'. 
We get a lot of folks in that don't buy anything. If someone ever buys the carbon Pinarello we have, I'll be astounded.


TikTok is shite. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, loserone said:

My grump: Tik Tok.  Seriously, WTF? How can anyone with an attention span longer than a gnat's put up with it ? And then other platforms actually import the same frigging "content", which usually cuts before the end anyway. ARGH!

TikTok's only purpose is to make self important attention seeking wankers feel good for the 30 seconds their vid may last, its the worst type of social media there is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Anyone familiar with Kent may know that the council goes gung-ho with roadworks on the holidays. They had closed Hawkhurst highstreet from the A21 junction to the crossroads in the centre of the town on Monday morning.

The diversion is no problem at all, but on the following day they've decided digging up and closing half of the (already) congested diversion is a smashing idea. Kent County Council never fails to surprise me.

Driving in (and out) of Sittingbourne along what used to be the A2 via Faversham, etc. has been a nightmare for the last two years.  Just as soon as they've finished one set of roadworks, they open another.  Except they seem to be having a competition to see how many simultaneous sets of temporary lights they can manage along with the roadworks.  The current record is four.  Not so bad when you don't have to do it every day but it makes going into Sittingbourne take well over an hour, when realistically it's less than 40 minutes from here...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks to the Deliveroo driver who yesterday evening saw it fit to completely destroy three of the lights by our path (the third is halfway across the lawn) - which is where they "parked."

IMG_20210217_110824.thumb.jpg.cf29a493622be79c8642126c8049c280.jpg

Thanks for that.  Yeah, I really did want to replace them...concrete post lights sound good.  Let me see you kick those over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...