The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Please tell me I'm not being entirely stupid for thinking this was for a set of leads?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-Ignition-Leads-for-RENAULT-19-TRAFIC-CITROEN-AX-0-986-356-061/312292062226?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

One has arrived, and now I look closer, the 'part details' bit says 'Fitting Position - Cylinder 4'

Am I right to be annoyed at paying a tenner for one lead? Is the advert misleading? Can I return it? 

Boiler is getting replaced today. That's a fair chunk of money I could do without parting with. 

I'm being a bit like a person who chops in their 5yr old car for a brand new one as it's 'starting to cost a bit' but the maths/justifications do add up.

• The old one (which ran out of warranty a few weeks ago) is going to be a few hundred quid to repair. 
  • Breakdown cover for the old boiler is going to be around £25 a month, so £1,500 over 5 years.
  • New boiler is costing £1,700 to be fitted and has 7 years warranty.
  • The old boiler broke down at least twice a year when it was under warranty, so isn't likely to improve with age like my good looks or fine wine.
  • If we want to move house it's a nice selling point to have several years cover on the boiler for the new owners isn't.
  • If the car break down I can get a taxi or drive another car, no real difference to my day to day life. If the boiler breaks down I'm washing myself stood up at the sink in subzero temperatures like it's the friggin' 1970's again.

Still stings a bit though but it'll be worth it to get Mrs Imp to shut up about being cold. PUT A FUCKING JUMPER ON! She's walking around in frigging summer wear. 

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

Please tell me I'm not being entirely stupid for thinking this was for a set of leads?

The ad mentions 'leads' in the plural several times, and describes a 'kit' of parts, so I'd certainly assume I was getting 4. Who buys a single ignition lead anyway?
Click the return button and neg feedback them for it, maybe they'll amend the ad.

Loved this bit of feedback in their history...
"Sent a mattress instead of snow chains no apology not impressed"

49 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Is there an oil cooler on the CX?If there is there can be cross contamination.

There is one for automatic gearbox cars, because it was quite involved to get it all reconnected. If that has failed, then it would be a job to get hold of a new one. It looks like this:

0FA41C5B-A9E6-46F3-986A-908F1F21F68C.jpg

I am tending to think it's the head gasket that has given up, as "richardmorris" suggests, mainly because of the speed with which the coolant turned into the colour of Bailey's liqueur / tea. Really quite frustrating, as it had a cooling system flush (three times) in November and a new water pump and hose at the same time. Everything was alright until around the New Year when I took it for a jet wash and the coolant temperature went past 90 deg.C (usually it sits around 84-88 deg) on the way home.

I pumped out the expansion tank at the weekend to remove a foreign body that I had spotted floating in there, then refilled with new coolant - just enough to cover the tank marker/sensor as the manual dictates. It didn't make a great deal of difference when I took it round the block, and the dull rattling sounds (a bit like rapid pinking) that I could hear when I accelerated leads me to think that there is either inadequate oiling or inadequate cooling. I also noticed that once the engine was off, there was a pressure build-up and the coolant - which was once again the colour of Bailey's/tea - rose high enough to leak through the screw cap at the top.

Yet another problem for Garages Dubois-Loizou to try to solve if/when I can get the CX down there again.

I have now managed to find someone who stocks a complete head gasket set, so an order has gone in. I know I've spent far far more than I paid for the CX in the first place, but I've got to chase down all the faults that happen as they arise, and whilst I can afford it! The rest of the car is too good to give up on.

9 hours ago, Stevebrookman said:

That's bad. Hope it can be fixed. What engine is in it Mr Dicky? My 2.8 was replaced with a Monza 3.0injection and a 4 speed auto.

Steve

In hindsight I should have gone that route. It's the original 2.8 block and 3 speed auto with a 3.0 head and injection system retro fitted. Had it running but after a while it bogs down and wouldn't restart until it had cooled down. Then wouldn't start at all, but it has an intermittent fault when it sometimes overfuels massively. It's currently ok but won't start (although it was coughing and trying to go)

I'd love to hear if you have any ideas for things I could check!

2 hours ago, barefoot said:

Little more than a bucket full of snow on the M1 & this happens;

184524070_Screenshot2020-02-10at14_51_53.thumb.png.3f3e87f0c4c49940150fb974a1acdd40.png

1975306738_Screenshot2020-02-10at14_46_52.png.96f2db2656ecca4ded21a7d8f8cefda6.png

I was a bit rough this weekend- spent most of it in bed. Had to get up to clear yet another 8” of snow off the drive before Mrs Roobarb shoveled it. First time out this year with my snow blower. 

Once I finished, I collapsed on the lounge rug and fell asleep again. Bloody snow cocks everything up.

Not weather-related damage, this is 100% cunt related damage:

streetwise-smashed.thumb.jpg.e035dff0dba6fcecce012c1f484e3310.jpg

I'd washed the car yesterday during a brief abatement of the storm, and there was a barely discernible footprint on the bonnet. Maybe someone wanted the furry dice ? Gave the mirror a kick too, but that clicked back in place.

All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't one of the other cars on fleet as that would have been a ballache sourcing a replacement - at least being modern* the Streetwise windscreen should be reasonably straightforward to source. And why they didn't target the non-MoT/non taxed Vxl Astra parked a few cars along which looks abandoned, Gawd only knows. Or any of the neighbours cars.

Online Police report done, await crime ref number, phone to insurers tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Angrydicky said:

In hindsight I should have gone that route. It's the original 2.8 block and 3 speed auto with a 3.0 head and injection system retro fitted. Had it running but after a while it bogs down and wouldn't restart until it had cooled down. Then wouldn't start at all, but it has an intermittent fault when it sometimes overfuels massively. It's currently ok but won't start (although it was coughing and trying to go)

I'd love to hear if you have any ideas for things I could check!

Sounds dodgy! Could be the cold start temp sensor or the ecu as I would imagine only those two things affect the injector firing. Does sound like the ecu as I had to Chang one due to rough running.The ecu usually sits near the drivers right leg. There’s also a pick up on the distributor for firing the ecu I think. I’m a member of the senator, Monza and royale Facebook group ( it’s called something like that)  ands it’s useful fo4 advice and spares.

Regards

Steve

3 hours ago, clayts450 said:

So with the Streetwise out of commission,, 420 was pushed into commutawagon duties. As barefoot noted above, then this happened in Nottingham:

snowy420.thumb.jpg.6bb66bc8393098a1ddfc69ff359a9376.jpg

Merry Christmas readers.

Sorry I'm out of the loop - is the 820i roffler winnar still with you?

Snow's a-falling in Co. Antrim... understandably, MrsDC announces that she'd sooner take the Forester up over the hills to work in the morning, rather than the Yaris.

Since I've been meaning to replace the ever-weakening battery in the remote key for several weeks now, I figure now would be a good time to finally jolly well do it - before it completely dies, trapping MrsDC in a blizzard or some such.

On opening the key fob, I discover it's an oddly sized battery lurking in there - a 1632 button cell.

Of course, out of all the batteries in the battery box, none are 16mm... so it's out into the snowstorm* and down to Tesco before they shut...

20200210_232850.thumb.jpg.95d721b2cd3d876a5933e61ba51bf459.jpg

And of course none of their batteries are the right size either. Loads of 2016 and 2032 cells on the pegs, but not a single 1632 to be found.

On arriving back at the ranch, the car won't lock... it seems that the shock of taking the battery out to test it has now killed it stone dead... and the Forester cleverly immobilises itself 30 seconds after the engine stops and won't restart unless the button on the fob is pressed.

Since the car only came with one key, and efforts to secure a replacement last year came to naught (it's a weird key and even the Subaru main dealer can't match it), the car's effectively dead until I can get a new 1632 button cell...

Looks like MrsDC will be taking the Yaris after all over the snowy hills tomorrow, while I'll be hoofing it down to the station while trying not to slip and fall on my arse...

12 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Snow's a-falling in Co. Antrim... understandably, MrsDC announces that she'd sooner take the Forester up over the hills to work in the morning, rather than the Yaris.

.....Looks like MrsDC will be taking the Yaris after all over the snowy hills tomorrow...

She must be really pleased with ye. Maybe a sure-footed horse would do the job just as well.....

Remember the 2009 scrappage scheme 

I was just having a disagreement with somebody who claimed all the most polluting cars were taken off the road in 2009 by the scrappage scheme and they should bring it back to boost sales of EVs

393,000 cars scrapped out of 30.1m on the road at the time so barely a dent , it was about selling cars in a recession not saving the planet

Anyway I found a list of the actual models scrapped , you'll need a spreadsheet viewer to see the full list but there were a lot of classic cars scrapped 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/357672/bis-foi-2014-20775-scrapped-vehicles-supporting-data.csv/preview

Screenshot_20200211-030712_Samsung Internet.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-Ignition-Leads-for-RENAULT-19-TRAFIC-CITROEN-AX-0-986-356-061/312292062226?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

One has arrived, and now I look closer, the 'part details' bit says 'Fitting Position - Cylinder 4'

Am I right to be annoyed at paying a tenner for one lead? Is the advert misleading? Can I return it? 

Return it , item description clearly indicates “leads” plural , so you should have got at least 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk