The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Microsoft. What a faff trying to do anything with their products thanks to their tedious installer programs and insistence you can't reboot without installing updates. I wanted to move a SQL Server database from one computer to another. No problem, thought I, I'll just copy the MDF file across and attach it, job done. No dice. Because the file came from a SQL Server 2017 instance I can't attach it to a SQL Server 2012 instance and have to upgrade the latter. That involved the following steps, interspersed with much head banging and swearing.

-Find SQL Server 2017 installer and wait for it to download (700MB)

-Run said installer. It decides it needs a reboot before it can install.

-Reboot and wait several minutes for unspecified Windows updates to install

-Run installer again. After several minutes of checks it decides it can't upgrade my SQL Server 2012 instance and I have to install Service Park 2 first.

-Find SQL Server 2012 SP2 installer and wait for it to download (>1GB)

-Run installer and wait for it to unpack. It won't install because the SQL Server 2017 installer is still open.

-Close SQL Server 2017 installer, restart SP2 installer and wait for it to unpack again

-Wait an hour for SP2 to install. It completes and doesn't say a reboot is needed.

-Run SQL Server 2017 installer for a third time. It decides it needs a reboot.

-Reboot and install yet more unspecified Windows updates

-Run SQL Server 2017 installer yet again. Finally all checks pass and it starts installing.

-Wait over an hour for this to install, including the progress bar reaching 100% several minutes before it actually finishes.

-Installer completes and says it needs a reboot. Start menu says there are no more updates to install.

-Reboot and it starts installing even more bloody updates!

-Attach MDF file and finally I have a working database 3.5 hours after starting what I thought would be a 5 minute job. What a fucking kerfuffle.

I feel your pain. You are obviously qualified to redo the risk assessment. Do it. Remove stupid guard. Bolt to suitable bench. Obtain suitable guard. Obtain instruction manual and use.

Do it. Don't ask permission.

I've tried this, but they pay huge amounts of money for external advice and follow it absolutely verbatim, completely unthinking. 

I'm their main R&D Engineer, they know my qualifications, they know I've spent 20 years working with power tools and machinery and still have all my eyes and fingers.

However, a generic leaflet from the payroll company and some woman who did a three day H&S course 15 years ago absolutely trumps my qualifications and experience - because the person listening to the advice and reading the leaflet doesn't understand any of it.

Who buys a first home, knocks down internal walls, ceilings / replaces plumbing / electrics / kitchen / MASSIVE FOOKIN TELLY !! x2 ONE IN LIVING ROOM AND ONE IN BEDROOM ??!! other than that the house is a dump, gets friends round and gets pissed, shouts, behaves like a 10 year old and plays indoor football ?? Inconsiderate / noisy Fuckers !! I know, sounds like good fun to play indoor football whilst drunk but it's a quick way to pissing off the neighbours... I wish I could get rid of these assholes but complaining just gives them something else to laugh at.. What to do ???

My block of flats used to be a parking free for all, but recently they designated spaces. It's tricky as the car park is shared between 3 different small blocks of flats, and our block of 6 only got 3 spaces to share - fortunately only 3 of us have cars so I got one of the spaces, and handily is the place I used to park mostly when it was a free for all.

Anyway, at least once a week for the last few weeks there's been a 3 series parked in my space. I left a couple of polite notes the first couple of times, but they didn't stop parking there. I'd have loved to just dump my car infront of theirs for the weekend and block them in but due to the layout of the car park I'd block the flow for 3/4 of the car park.

I had a vague idea who the car belonged to (someone from one of the other blocks) but never caught them in the act to have a word.... Until I came home tonight and spied who I thought it was stood in the middle of the car park going batshit at someone on their phone. Parked my bike up and got changed so as to not look "biker thug" and went back to the car park to find that the cause of the commotion being that the 3 series was blocked in by a new Vauxhall Viva. Oh delicious irony. The woman with the 3 series was off the phone and pacing around now so I politely enquired was she the owner of the BMW. Over the space of about 15 minutes in which she got increasingly mental at me, the conversation could be boiled down to...

Me - don't park your car in (my) space again please

Her - someone else parks in my space so if that happens again I'll park in your space

Me - no you won't, you should take your argument up with the person parking in your space

Her - I see loads of people parking in your space, why do you only tell me to move

Me - you're the only person I've ever seen park there, and it's at least once a week

Her - I think you're a racist and you only pick on me because I'm (nationality)

Me - oh fuck off you silly cow

Went down hill from there a bit...

Anyway a friendly neighbour came and knocked my door just now and said they'd heard us rowing so was doing a bit of curtain twitching. It seems not long after I'd left the 3 series owner to it she'd decided she couldn't wait for the viva owner to move and tried a million point manoeuvre to get out through the tiny gap which was left, and bashed her car into the wall in the process.

Every cloud.

A few options.

One. Park elsewhere for a month whilst one of my cars is in your space - it’ll reset her brain and maybe stop her from even checking your space is available. (!)

Two. Get a bolt down bollard. They’re not very expensive and, even if you rent, you could take it with you when you move.

Three. Just continue to cause her absolute hell every time the space is blocked, so that it simply becomes totally unworthwhile.

In my first flat I had a parking issue. The old boy I bought my flat from was dead AF - and the neighbour always parked across both spaces so his wife could disembark easier. Having left a note that was ignored, one day I wedged my mini in and left it there for about two weeks. When he saw me he wasn’t best pleased, but a big shit eating smile and a ‘I wouldn’t want to park it in anyone else’s space, it’d be rude’ and he stfu.

Good luck man. Sadly, there’s obviously a sense of entitlement here.

Who buys a first home, knocks down internal walls, ceilings / replaces plumbing / electrics / kitchen / MASSIVE FOOKIN TELLY !! x2 ONE IN LIVING ROOM AND ONE IN BEDROOM ??!! other than that the house is a dump, gets friends round and gets pissed, shouts, behaves like a 10 year old and plays indoor football ?? Inconsiderate / noisy Fuckers !! I know, sounds like good fun to play indoor football whilst drunk but it's a quick way to pissing off the neighbours... I wish I could get rid of these assholes but complaining just gives them something else to laugh at.. What to do ???

Get up early after they have had a session and wake the fucked up. Use Any excuse. Make fake parcels and tell him theyve been delivered to you. Knock on his door, tell him you are mowing your front lawn, would he like you to do his. Put your music on at full blast at 7 am and go and sit in the garden.

Drill with hammer action into the shared walls.

Always complain. But not when it's happening. Stop him on his way to work, thus forcing him to talk to you when he's late already.

Get a solicitor to get an injunction.

Just back from a week in Crete where a fucking maniac on a motorbike mowed my missus down when she was halfway across a zebra crossing.

She's got a fractured elbow and a cracked rib and is bruised to fuck.

She's dealing with it well but obviously is not a happy bunny and can't drive for at least 4 weeks.

They're nutters there - there was one guy on a moped using both hands to put his shoes on and looking down to do so as he 'rode' along.

Had to cut holiday short. Not car related but my son is a little shit. He can be so beautiful and innocent to people when he wants to but has now been expelled for what I've been told is violent and abusive behaviour to teachers and other staff. Meeting with the head in the morning.

Have you got shite to work on? What about some early morning sessions with grinders and hammers the mornings after they have had a skin full

Homework

My lad has just turned 5 and has homework every day. I don't bother getting him to do it, he is far too young. School exhausts him enough as it is. If they can't manage to teach the basics within the school hours then surely they are doing something wrong.

I'm sure I wasn't asked to do it until I was 12 or so

Homework

My lad has just turned 5 and has homework every day. I don't bother getting him to do it, he is far too young. School exhausts him enough as it is. If they can't manage to teach the basics within the school hours then surely they are doing something wrong.

Go and explain this to them 

Homework

Yes,it used to be only in secondary schools.A five year old shouldn't have to do anything outside of school hours,and in many European countries school doesn't even start until 7.

Homework

I don’t disagree particularly but I will play Devil’s advocate for a second:

Some households have children going to school that have little to no parental support. In those homes, the parents are often functionally illiterate and the child may also have language issues because of a lack of child-facing communication. These things often happen hand in hand. The homework is not necessarily for the kid, it’s sometimes to get the parents to engage with their kid’s education. And if the kid has got language problems, then all the hours in the school day might not be enough...

Just taken the mutts to the vets (or, Phoebe's second home) for their annual jabs, Phoebe's pills, tramadol and Bravecto for them both  - £228! Got the annual bollocking for the size of Chester's gut (deserved) but he hasn't actually put any weight on this year!  I have discovered that Phoebe costs more to run than a decent car but she is worth it... I suppose :) She has got to have a molar out as it's split but a bit scared of her having yet more anaesthetic, it doesn't seem to be bothering her so I may wait a bit until she needs something else doing and get both done under one anaesthetic - good idea or not? 

.... She has got to have a molar out as it's split but a bit scared of her having yet more anaesthetic, it doesn't seem to be bothering her so I may wait a bit until she needs something else doing and get both done under one anaesthetic - good idea or not? 

Problem is that we can't see if leaving it in will lead to further damage whilst you're trying to kill two birds with one stone. By the time you get both jobs done under one anaesthetic, there might be other things that need doing as a result of leaving the split molar in. Difficult choice.

I don’t disagree particularly but I will play Devil’s advocate for a second:

Some households have children going to school that have little to no parental support. In those homes, the parents are often functionally illiterate and the child may also have language issues because of a lack of child-facing communication. These things often happen hand in hand. The homework is not necessarily for the kid, it’s sometimes to get the parents to engage with their kid’s education. And if the kid has got language problems, then all the hours in the school day might not be enough...

Mine has the best reading and general knowledge in his year group. He has the reading ability of an 8 year old and his school report said he has a vast knowledge of the world. I keep him fit, he can ride a bike for miles whereas most of his peers cannot. His vocabulary is better than kids twice his age.

I am not saying he is any brighter than he should be but school is so dumbed down and parents don't seem to interact with their children as much. I just wonder if he is the same level as a child his age would have been 60 years ago?

I teach my kids more useful things than school seem to.

Problem is that we can't see if leaving it in will lead to further damage whilst you're trying to kill two birds with one stone. By the time you get both jobs done under one anaesthetic, there might be other things that need doing as a result of leaving the split molar in. Difficult choice.

With a split tooth, there’s a fair chance of her picking up an infection in there which by the time it’s made itself known through her behaviour could be pretty well advanced.

Probably worth getting it done sooner in my opinion although I know what you mean re the anaesthetic.

I was terrified when our eldest Springer had a general at 11 years and was pacing the floor at work until it was time to collect her.

Pets. When the Cat eventually pegs it and she's making it a long drawn out process, we are NOT HAVING anymore pets.

28 years. 4 cats, 1 dog, 4 guinea pigs, 3 gerbils, 2 rabbits, 2 fish, a hamster, and a fucking mouse.

That will be it. No vets bills, no kennel fees, no trying to find someone to pop in and feed them. No vomit on the sofa. Not shit on the lawn, no cat litter tray, no worming tablets. No teeth removed under General anaesthetic.

With a split tooth, there’s a fair chance of her picking up an infection in there which by the time it’s made itself known through her behaviour could be pretty well advanced.

Probably worth getting it done sooner in my opinion although I know what you mean re the anaesthetic.

I was terrified when our eldest Springer had a general at 11 years and was pacing the floor at work until it was time to collect her.

Same. Our 11 year old terrier recently had to have a general for some teeth sorting. Was beside myself about it. Apparently, as soon as he came round he was belting around the room wanting to play chase 8)

Went to pick him up and he just gave me a look that said "I didn't appreciate you leaving me here to be drugged and interfered with, but I've had fun so we'll say no more of it".

Had to cut holiday short. Not car related but my son is a little shit. He can be so beautiful and innocent to people when he wants to but has now been expelled for what I've been told is violent and abusive behaviour to teachers and other staff. Meeting with the head in the morning.

Wow.  Just wow.

Do you have another son I wasn't aware of?  Because this doesn't sound like Rhys at all.

Hope it works out, mate.

My guess was that it would have been in the same general area that I found the Mac hiding, however it seems I was mistaken. I've just got back from systematically going through every box up there marking each one as it was checked...no sign of the one I'm after.

This is starting to annoy me now.

maybe you’ve got my cleaner working for you. I’m sure she won’t like the criminal record she’s going to end up with.

Student today has complained about me. Apparently he didn’t like me saying that we couldn’t do what he wanted ( handling toxic liquids in an Argon atmosphere ) wouldn’t like the results if I tried , and that I mentioned the university doesn’t pay bills on time ( we’re waiting on several hundred from June last year) so I wasn’t inclined to be helpful. All true I admit. Sod it, it’s my company and if I think we can’t do something I’ll tell them.

He Asked why it was hard, so I asked if he was able to weigh 1mg or sample ( grain of caster sugar size for example) into a 1mm wide capsule wearing two layers of rubber gloves in a secured cabinet, and using a glass capillary no wider than a human hair.

My impossible price is +50%, he’s moved up to our miracle rate which is what I feel like charging.

Honestly the only two complaints we’ve had in the last ten years have been related to me mentioning poor payment of bills. We are currently owed £89,500. And the only people to have paid a September bill so far is a Nigerian university. Weird new customer that is!

AND, may as well get the rants in, we’ve had twelve phone calls today from some Indian gimp outfit claiming to be variously from talk talk or Bt or Microsoft about our internet connection. I blame BT for all this as these people are spoofing uk land line numbers. Surely they can stop this happening?

Mine has the best reading and general knowledge in his year group. He has the reading ability of an 8 year old and his school report said he has a vast knowledge of the world. I keep him fit, he can ride a bike for miles whereas most of his peers cannot. His vocabulary is better than kids twice his age.

I am not saying he is any brighter than he should be but school is so dumbed down and parents don't seem to interact with their children as much. I just wonder if he is the same level as a child his age would have been 60 years ago?

I teach my kids more useful things than school seem to.

I will take issue with the assertion that kids today are less intelligent than kids 60 years ago.  There is a vast, vast difference in attainment and literacy rates in favour of modern education.  Before the National Curriculum was introduced, teachers were allowed to teach whatever they felt like in Primary and Secondary schools.  As a result of this, I've spoken to a lot of adults that are lacking basic skills in maths or literacy simply because they were never taught them and there was no regulatory need to.

Schools are far, far from perfect and I must admit that I tend to see the higher end of the education sector - but I have worked in schools in deprived areas.  The same demographic issues exist now as 60 years ago but most of the 'grinding' poverty (e.g. unable to buy food and thus starvation and malnutrition) has been vastly reduced.  We are a more affluent and better paid society on average.

That does not obfuscate the fact that there are definitely issues now within education.  Communication is increasingly abstracted by electronic devices, kids have deeply inappropriate material easily within their reach and school budgets are highly stretched.  Parents generally spend less time with their kids and communicate with them less.  

I wouldn't say the curriculum is 'dumbed down' as much as it is now more appropriate.  There are a number of things that I disagree with in Primary education (e.g. systematic synthetic phonics) and the focus on STEM in secondary is causing a number of issues for other subjects that bring huge benefits to a child's wellbeing (e.g. music).  Academy schools are a major, major mistake for a vast range of reasons - but compared to where we were 60 years ago, we've come a long way.

Just so you know where I'm coming from here, back in 2012 I trained as a Primary School Teacher.  I dropped out due to personal reasons with about a month left so never qualified but I have worked in other roles in secondary schools since then.

I had to provide advice today to someone who had taken one of those calls, and ended their day a five figure sum lighter.

Fark.

That’s awful- we just let them talk to the radio for a while. It’s obvious they’re a scam really, mainly because no one else calls these days.

I will take issue with the assertion that kids today are less intelligent than kids 60 years ago.  There is a vast, vast difference in attainment and literacy rates in favour of modern education.  Before the National Curriculum was introduced, teachers were allowed to teach whatever they felt like in Primary and Secondary schools.  As a result of this, I've spoken to a lot of adults that are lacking basic skills in maths or literacy simply because they were never taught them and there was no regulatory need to.

Schools are far, far from perfect and I must admit that I tend to see the higher end of the education sector - but I have worked in schools in deprived areas.  The same demographic issues exist now as 60 years ago but most of the 'grinding' poverty (e.g. unable to buy food and thus starvation and malnutrition) has been vastly reduced.  We are a more affluent and better paid society on average

That does not obfuscate the fact that there are definitely issues now within education.  Communication is increasingly abstracted by electronic devices, kids have deeply inappropriate material easily within their reach and school budgets are highly stretched.  Parents do generally less time with their kids and communicate with them less.  

I wouldn't say the curriculum is 'dumbed down' as much as it is now more appropriate.  There are a number of things that I disagree with in Primary education (e.g. systematic synthetic phonics) and the focus on STEM in secondary is causing a number of issues for other subjects that bring huge benefits to a child's wellbeing (e.g. music).  Academy schools are a major, major mistake for a vast range of reasons - but compared to where we were 60 years ago, we've come a long way.

Just so you know where I'm coming from here, back in 2012 I trained as a Primary School Teacher.  I dropped out due to personal reasons with about a month left so never qualified but I have worked in other roles in secondary schools since then.

I agree about synthetic phonics. My neices are being tawt/tort (sic) this way and their spelling is weird. My sister and I had flash cards which my mum diligently kept but hasn't been allowed to use for her grandchildren. They read a lot, but it has taken a long time for them to realise that what they read is connected to how they spell.

The issue with systematic synthetic phonics is all to do with a misinterpretation of a study on an industrial scale.

The Rose Report (2005 - I think?) was a massive piece of work looking at childhood development of language and what schools could do to improve education in this area.  It made a number of recommendations - but fundamentally it looked at two aspects of language development:

i) Decoding.  The ability to take syllables and break them down phonetically so that words can be said.

ii) Comprehension.  The ability to take those words and understand what they mean.

Of course, systematic synthetic phonics only looks at decoding.  There is very little comprehension going on.  What's more, the English language is chocked full of phonetic irregularities that make absolutely no sense from a phonics perspective.  Unfortunately, systematic synthetic phonics has (or at least had, when I was training back in 2012) the upper hand and most schools had it heavily emphasised on their curriculum.  Kids could say very complicated 'words' (often these words were nonsense words - which I have no inherent issue with in this framework) but they failed to understand what a number of fairly ordinary words meant.  

Most schools, in my experience, had bought a systematic synthetic phonics package from an education firm and were essentially implementing it verbatim because that was the easiest and cheapest way of being compliant with the government guidelines with regards to reading.  Unfortunately, this means that at a younger age, kids generally have no idea what a lot of what they're reading actually means.

I can read and pronounce Latin (Latin was compulsory for the first two years of my secondary school, which given that I started in 1999 must make me one of the few that was the case for!) and my decoding of German isn't too terrible either.  I have absolutely no idea what's being said most of the time.  The same is true with most phonics-based approaches and it should be balanced with reading comprehension.

Multiple governments did their usual thing of looking at a study, misinterpreting it profoundly and then inflicting their view on a group of people that actually do know how to do their jobs properly in the first place...

I will take issue with the assertion that kids today are less intelligent than kids 60 years ago.  

I didn't say that they were any less intelligent, just that their intelligence is less used. There is no need in the current climate to be any more than reasonably intelligent and reasonably nice so why test their intelligence too much.

Most older kids could tell you far more about ancient Egyptians than they could tell you about managing money or healthy eating for example. Pointless