The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Campaigns...... AyyUpp

I wish to go on record, not alone in this, that "Poppy Wearing [.. social stigma of NOT!]" is an act of remembrance/respect/personal preference.

The BBC have taken to wearing them from about mid Oct :(

We have 3 in the house, bought @£3 from anklebiters school tray. Will be worn Sunday only.

I chuck a quid in Help The Heroes bucket - no lapel sticker thankyou - and thats my choice.

FFF the FFF Off 'poppy nazis', my Heart my Cash my Conscience ;)TS

I agree really, and I'm visiting the memorial at Vimy ridge on the 11th November.

http://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/others/vimy.html

http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions/vimy/index_e.shtml

International lawyers may be better informed on this...

The unions are sticking their thumbs in to attempt (wish them well) to cause employers..

'2 guys - here NOW!! - NOT a request!!'

.. to factor in toilet/sleep requirements, of drones, to the 24/7 services offered to never happy clients.

I agree many people in the 'grey' economy - 14 ethnics sharing - cleaning cars on a patch of badland don't want regulatory scutiny but a slip/fall/ambulance trip might be avoided with a spot of ElfinnSafe..??

TS

Yup. I agree with SavvyToo! No charity should be enforced. It isn't a charity if you're going to make it effectively compulsory and lambaste those who don't wear a poppy. Whether I donate or not is a question for me only.

I also struggle with Help for Heroes. I'm all up for helping injured servicemen, but the glorification of 'heroes' I can't agree with. For a start, our government should be a bit more grateful and look after its 'heroes' rather better(so the charity shouldn't be necessary0 but secondly, as someone who has a rather serious dislike of war (especially false ones of the kind we've had a lot of lately), I'm not sure calling people who kill others 'heroes' is a good idea. Especially not when they've been trained specifically to do whatever they are told to do. Armies make me shiver, though I concede they don't work very well if there's someone like me going "hold on lads, I'm not sure about this. Shall we put it to a vote?"

I'm not sure calling people who kill others 'heroes' is a good idea. Especially not when they've been trained specifically to do whatever they are told to do. Armies make me shiver, though I concede they don't work very well if there's someone like me going "hold on lads, I'm not sure about this. Shall we put it to a vote?"

Anyone who enjoys or glorifies war is an imbecile, I've personally never met anyone that does.

I believe that we enjoy the freedom to express our opinions and maintain our lofty ideals precisely because others have been prepared to defend them on our behalf.

I have never served but remain respectful of, and grateful to those who have, and also those who continue to do so.

Indeed. I am full of awe for those who defended us against genuine evil. I guess I'm a lot more cynical of more recent campaigns, though I'm still grateful for those who unquestioningly risk their lives when asked. Thing is though, it isn't just soldiers who do that. I'm grateful to an awful lot of people.

Help for heros is one of the only charities I DO support, whether you agree with the reasons they're being sent out there or not, the fact is that men and women, far more courageous than me, go and risk their lives to do the Governments bidding which means I don't have to. It's quite deplorable the way the Government then tosses them on the scrap heap when they come home missing important body parts. Damn straight the Government should take better care of them, but since they don't, I will happily donate to such a worthy cause.

And I don't even want a badge in return.

Help for heros is one of the only charities I DO support, whether you agree with the reasons they're being sent out there or not, the fact is that men and women, far more courageous than me, go and risk their lives to do the Governments bidding which means I don't have to. It's quite deplorable the way the Government then tosses them on the scrap heap when they come home missing important body parts. Damn straight the Government should take better care of them, but since they don't, I will happily donate to such a worthy cause.

And I don't even want a badge in return.

I have no complaint with the work they do, though I share your sentiment that they should not have to do it. Purely a name thing.

Her Majesty's Armed Forces, do not enjoy the choice of which action they would prefer to take, against whom or where.

Indeed. I'm just not sure the word 'hero' is appropriate. They're certainly a cut above perhaps. It's only that word I dislike.

First soundbite I heard was a pissed off Uber driver who is now facing having to work when they want him to work, and probably fewer customers as prices will go up to cover sick pay etc.

He didn't want it, but someone led a campaign without asking him, because they wanted to. Surely some sort of vote, or fair representation is better?

If he wanted to do 100+mph up the M1 it might also make him more competitive but it would also be unlawful. I was glad to see the tribunal's decision and hope it will slow the pace of the race to the bottom,

Well, went for a couple of drinks tonight, as often happens on a Saturday. Met with the usual people and the first point of conversation was "have you heard about Liz"

Immediately you know this means Liz is either dead or has won the lottery.

Anyway suffice to say there are no new millionaires in the village. I'm surprisingly sad and shocked about this, don't get me wrong there was no love lost between me and her, I'd rather spend an evening pulling my own fingernails out than talking to her and I'm sure she felt the same, but last weekend she was in there being her usual 'full on' self, and now she's brown bread

Mid - 40's max I'd estimate, if nothing else it's a reminder of your own mortality

The vendor has offered to show me screen shots of him being offered 150% more than his asking price, told him not to bother and to let them have it. It's still (very) cheap at that price, but it's the principle now.

Looks like the P38 voodoo demons have paid a visit today. It has decided that the brake fluid is low-it's not, the washer fluid is low-it's not and one reverse bulb has gone- it's decided to stay on permanently. Bastard!!

Alternator or battery is on the way out.

How difficult is it to give stuff away?

Well from my recent experience, not that easy.

One upright freezer in the garage surplus to needs. Put it on local facetwit page for "free for collection". Matey boy jumps straight in and agree a collection day of a week past Friday.

On the day nothing from him and no show. Message him and still nothing. Sunday message him again saying contact or goodbye.

Working during week so put it back up this Friday, still free for collection. Girl comes on and asks for measurements " to see if it fits car". Will text me Saturday morning. Guess what - no reply. So again get in touch and get a reply back saying - oh was going to tell you it won't fit. Yeah cheers for that.

Third one finally comes on and finally yesterday evening it went.

THEN I get a message off 1st matey boy saying his phone broke and is it still there. FRO.

Next time I'll just take it to the dump. Time wasting bastards.

We gave away a massive mirror we had above our bath . The ad gave dimensions in imperial and metric as well as a pic of it in situ to show its size . Loads of people ringing to ask the size of it ! Then a couple turned up to take it away in a pug206 and were amazed when it wouldn't fit . Oh and the ad said buyer to remove and if it broke it's still theirs . Turned up with no tools and no clue so I ended taking it down anyway

I haz booked a 'romantic' long weekend in a cottage with kinky girl for very few pounds. Not in grin thread as Ma now has face on like a week in Grimsby. I've done 4 diy jobs so far today, but no appeasement, so looks like it's go to my shed for next 2 weeks and let her get on with being mopey. Yes, I know, move out.

Shit like that was why I sacked off Freecycle. I gave (or tried to, anyway) a load of stuff away and had precisely one deal that went smoothly, polite guy turned up on time etc. The rest were a shitshow of self-entitled, lazy bellends who wanted the moon on a stick and then wanted me to carry it to their car for them.

I've been burnt by freecycle idiots too.

They seem to fall into 2 camps. Chancers who want car boot / eBay merchandiser for free or Wasters who can't buy their own stuff because they can't be arsed and expect you to deliver perfect stuff to their door because they deserve it.

It all goes in the skip now.