The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Considering we're up to 308 now I have to wonder what Pug's move will be.

• 308 1/2?
  • Resume 309 production?
  • Taint the name with a new 309, causing Euro Car Parts to implode when someone wants parts for either car?
  • 310?
Based on the fact that ECPs standard way of deciding which parts will fit is to piss into the wind and see which box the drips land on, I don't think it will concern them too greatly.

Are you plating? I used to do that,you'll go broke.

Yup, also been there done that.

Me too you can make a living if you work 20 hours a day 7 days a week otherwise probably not...as a matter of interest what is the price per mile rate these days?

I am indeed plating. It's kinda fun, not being in an office/factory/4 walls surrounded by idiots you pretend to get on with, also, you don't have to deal with the general mouth-breathing public. In this game I've met a huge cross section of people, former top level types, the retired, the young and starting out etc...

Yes, the pay isn't great but it is better than shitty £7 per hour jobs currently on offer and I have done most of them.

It can be a bit of a piss take/expensive trying to get from job to job, but you get by. Price varies from job to job depending on a lot of factors including: whether your employed or self-employed, the customer, vehicle, distance, what level of inspection the customer wants etc...

It works for most people as its reletively easy to get into and you can make money if you have a bit of nouse, but obviously it isn't for everyone. I've seen/heard people quitting because they can't afford the bus fare out from thier home town or they don't feel they're earning what they should. It can be difficult starting out as you really do need a bit of liquid cash to hand but once you've got the money cycle going, and can work out the best way of getting expenses in your favour and understand how to work out whether a job is worth bothering with or not then you shouldn't really find yourself in any bother.

Was thinking about putting some fresh petrol in the GT6 but am wondering if there is any point as I wont get time to work on it and the petrol will just spoil again.

Probably best off going and putting the petrol in the Visa, freeing off the brakes and taking it for a spin. Need to speak to someone about doing the clutch and wheel bearing as I wont be wasting any of my time doing them, I will simply be paying someone else to do it.

RD motors in Keighley are probably my best bet, has anyone used them before? I popped down there to look at a car a year or so ago but haven't actually had him do any work on a car. He has sold my Visa previously.

Mrs Rocker just drew my attention to some cod-1940s shenanigans being performed* on the Television thingy, allegedly for the celebration and enjoyment of Her Majesty's birthday.   Lamenting upon its dross-ness she then informed me that, apparently Pant and Dic are behind it.   Why is anything crap ultimately traceable to these two cheese-heads?

If I was HM I would have both of the loathsome fucks straight in the Tower.

It should be the law that if you're a walking lobotomy who can't control your testosterone you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a motorised vehicle. Today's case in point:

I was minding my own business in the Sirion when I came up behind a slowly driven Audi A3. Having reached a nice medium-sized straight I decided to nip past him and carry on my way, but as I pulled alongside he suddenly floored it to prevent my overtake. With a 90 degree bend rapidly approaching, and slipping behind him not being particularly viable, I was forced to use all of my fearsome 65lb/ft of torque and cut in rather too close for comfort in front of him to the sound of much horn honking. After a few miles of angry tailgating from his hideous German box I became bored and decided a brake test was in order. Cue more horn, more arm waving, yelling, full beams etc.

As we reached a red light on Glossop high street he left his car, walked over to me and nearly pulled off my driver's door. Cue tirade of abuse and much pathetic patter about how his baby daughter was in the car and I was so obviously jeopardising her safety(!). My response was to not move and stare silently at him, even when he threw his first punch (thankfully he stopped short of actually hitting me). So strong was the concern for his child that his next course of action was to rag it down the wrong side of a busy high street and nearly flatten a motorcyclist in the process.

Considering we're up to 308 now I have to wonder what Pug's move will be.

• 308 1/2?
  • Resume 309 production?
  • Taint the name with a new 309, causing Euro Car Parts to implode when someone wants parts for either car?
  • 310?

They should put the 309 back into production to show them where it all went wrong.

It should be the law that if you're a walking lobotomy who can't control your testosterone you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a motorised vehicle. Today's case in point:

After a few miles of angry tailgating from his hideous German box I became bored and decided a brake test was in order. Cue more horn, more arm waving, yelling, full beams etc.

I was with you til the brake test.

I know, I regret it now. Either way, it was more likely to harm me in my tin crisp packet than him in his NCAP armoured tank unless I'd reduced him to such a rage that his heart gave out.

I do a 'fake' brake test with the rear foglights when people are tailgating, but your Sirion probably has a single separate foglight in the bumper

​

​Can you enlighten me what plating actually entails? Is that like picking up cars from somewhere and then delivering them... somewhere?

Bonjour, mon ami!

Yes, "plating" actually entails travelling to (often) a dealership/private or leasing company/individuals place, pick up a car and take it to it's next destination which would usually be (often) another dealer/leasing company/individual all around the country.

The term "plating" comes from our usage of trade plates which are White plates with Red numbers/letters in them (similar looking to Belgian number plates but with Belgian trade plates being Green lettered and starting with a 'Z'). This allows you to legally drive a car that isn't taxed or insured as you are covered by your trade insurance supplied by yourself or the company who supply you with the plates.

The company I work for have a bit more than just jumping in and out of cars. You have to inspect the vehicles, get signed off, fill up with DERV/petrol according to job allowance and so on.

Platers are associated with thumbing lifts at the side of the road and sleeping in cars/vans. These are actually few and far between, most platers will simply catch the bus/train or walk to thier next job, some companies like Pro-Drive will plan you a route home every night, others, like my company often keep me away for a few days. I usually have my plates displayed in case another plater happens to be passing and will offer a lift. Hasn't happened yet though.

Let me know if you want to know more about it and I'll happily send you a PM.

Oh also, are you based in Belgium by any chance? I was partly brought up in Belgium and still have family links (FATHA and UNCLE_Sterling) there, I know the Fantasio comics quite well but was always more of a Spirou lad myself :lol:

When i park at the end of a row near a kerb its to give me plenty room. Not so some misery bus can park into my space and dent my freshly painted 75. It was so fecking close i could'nt even get the wee one in his door. Thanks for the dent you prick!  :mad:  :mad:

It seems as though we are gripped in a tailgating epidemic, the standard following distance would appear to have been amended from "2 seconds" to half a cars length.  However the most annoying (I find) aren't the aggressive tailgaters, they're pretty easy to get away from, its the passive type, you know the ones who don't really have any idea they're driving way too close, that's just how they drive.  *No sexist disclaimer* but its mostly women, too.

Like, you will be stuck in slow moving traffic and they have to be so close you can't even see their lights, as soon as you move off they're immediately right up behind you again, as though their car is attached to yours by an invisible, extremely short, tow rope.

I find them every bit as irritating as social 'space invaders' who are up in your personal space when talking to you, or standing too close behind you in a queue. 

It should be the law that if you're a walking lobotomy who can't control your testosterone you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a ...

I have managed to curb my worst excesses thank goodness, but just occasionally, the 100th time some dickwad does something dangerous or agressive, the red mist descends - I know it's pointless and I regret it later but sometimes it's just the straw that breaks the camels back. With that said, Mr ALDI was bang out of order, and an illustration of why I need to remain calm. In spite of being 6'5" and overweight, I am utter weed at fighting, and in any case wouldn't want to be brawling at my age.

It is bloody annoying that people pull stuff in a car that they wouldn't do in the queue at the Post Office though.

It seems as though we are gripped in a tailgating epidemic, the standard following distance would appear to have been amended from "2 seconds" to half a cars length.  However the most annoying (I find) aren't the aggressive tailgaters, they're pretty easy to get away from, its the passive type, you know the ones who don't really have any idea they're driving way too close, that's just how they drive.  *No sexist disclaimer* but its mostly women, too.

Like, you will be stuck in slow moving traffic and they have to be so close you can't even see their lights, as soon as you move off they're immediately right up behind you again, as though their car is attached to yours by an invisible, extremely short, tow rope.

I find them every bit as irritating as social 'space invaders' who are up in your personal space when talking to you, or standing too close behind you in a queue.

Totally agree with this.

Two tricks to deal with tailgaters:

(1) Slow down. This is actually important, as if someone's up your arse you need a lot more reaction time and stopping distance in front. 

(2) Left foot tapped gently on the brake pedal a few times will usually see a bit more distance opening up.

Then relax about it and don't get het up. They'll eventually zoom past and out of your way.

Think the point Captain Furious was making was that "good" tailgaters will zoom past (and apart from their tailgating and the bloke who showered me with stones from the top dressing, fair play to 'em) whereas the ones who are just crap drivers will drive up your exhaust for miles and never take any opportunity to overtake as they just drive everywhere 2ft from the car in front at all times without giving it any thought.

Used to wind me up when I worked in the city centre, now my journey is mostly motorway and its fairly easy to avoid\get away from people with 3 lanes. I'm gradually training myself to stay cool and back off\change lanes whatever to lose them instead of drawing alongside and giving them the death stare.

I'm also less bothered about them now I have my 'reversing gauge' fitted.

Hopefully one day tailgaters and 'crash for cashers' will cancel each other out, its a marriage made in heaven when you think about it.

The charming woman down the street, who not only has the looks and body mass of a hippo, but the temperament too. Got woken up this morning by her screaming down the street at her 4-5 year old child DON'T YOU EFFING BACKCHAT ME AGAIN YOU LITTLE C*NT OR I'LL EFFING SMACK THE SH*T OUT OF YOU

Sometimes I really wonder if you should need a licence before you can breed.

I managed to twat the kerb with the back wheel of the Saab on the way into work today, whilst squeezing past a lorry.  It's blown the back tyre out.  Fucksticks.  So after a shit day at work I've got to change the wheel at the side of the road before I can go home.  I did test the wheelnuts before I left the car and I managed to crack them off with the car's wheelbrace, so I suppose I should be thankful for the small mercy that they hadn't been torqued up to 300 lb/ft by some Kwik Fit gibbon.  I've also now got to fork out for a tyre, which I could've done without.

Some people round here LOVE tailgating.... they usually drive fuck off great Range Rovers or Audis/BMWs and I hate them. They never do it to the Bentley (strangely!) but the poor little Mazda is a magnet for the fuckers. I pull over and let them pass. I prefer to feel safe (and the Mazda is not the safest car in the world to be clouted in by something the size of a small moon) and pulling over and letting them go by and then driving normally behind them with a gap seems to confuse the daylights out of them.

I do a 'fake' brake test with the rear foglights when people are tailgating, but your Sirion probably has a single separate foglight in the bumper

Luckily they're integrated with the rear light clusters, and capable of scorching human retinas from half a mile away. A few times I've had some total mong virtually touching my rear bumper, then with one flick of the switch they disappear into the distance while pulling a face much like this:

post-20075-0-30640000-1463418851_thumb.jpg

I have managed to curb my worst excesses thank goodness, but just occasionally, the 100th time some dickwad does something dangerous or agressive, the red mist descends - I know it's pointless and I regret it later but sometimes it's just the straw that breaks the camels back. With that said, Mr ALDI was bang out of order, and an illustration of why I need to remain calm. In spite of being 6'5" and overweight, I am utter weed at fighting, and in any case wouldn't want to be brawling at my age.

It is bloody annoying that people pull stuff in a car that they wouldn't do in the queue at the Post Office though.

It would have been understandable, if not excusable, for him to react that way if I'd been the one behaving like a dickhead in the first place. But then he was the one who blocked my reasonable overtake, aggressively tailgated and nearly went into the back of me several times whilst I committed the immensely dangerous act of slowing down for the traffic in front. He was also the one punching the shit out of his own steering wheel and virtually tearing off his indicator stalk in his quest to flash his full beams as many times as possible. For several miles.

The only way I could be construed to have made the situation worse is the aforementioned brake test.

I decided calm silence was the best way to go as not only made him angrier, but it also made him seem more unreasonable. So a double win.

I has strawberry plant doom. Couple of weeks back I'm taking Kinky girl out, and we spot a sign: strawberry plants 50p. Do you want some Kinky? Nah, not today. Friday night she says get me some of those strawberry plants will you?

Went back yesterday, and the sign at the entrance says open Monday to Friday. Arse.

Went back today, gate is open, drives in and there's a further sign that says "closed. open 11am to 3pm". Double arse.

Yes, I did look over the fence and they do still have said plants. I'm expecting tomorrow to find they're now £4 each like every other robbing bastard garden centre.