The grumpy thread

outlaw118

OWWWWWW. I have a dental abcess flaring up. It was sore yesterday, and agony today, it needs antibiotics ASAP to take the swelling down.. My dentist has no appointments until monday - I already HAVE an appointment for monday, and no dentists at all until friday for no good reason at all.

I rang 111. They can't help until "out of hours" at 6pm, if I ring back then they can send me to the minor injuries unit at the hospital where they can give me a prescription. For now I got a list of dentists in the area offering emergency cover but predictably none of them can actually help.

I rang the hospital to ask if it was worth just attending the minor injuries clinic now to save some time, but they aren't allowed to put me through, I have to ring 111.

Now waiting until six o'clock. Not happy.

OWWWWWW. I have a dental abcess flaring up. It was sore yesterday, and agony today, it needs antibiotics ASAP to take the swelling down.. My dentist has no appointments until monday - I already HAVE an appointment for monday, and no dentists at all until friday for no good reason at all.I rang 111. They can't help until "out of hours" at 6pm, if I ring back then they can send me to the minor injuries unit at the hospital where they can give me a prescription. For now I got a list of dentists in the area offering emergency cover but predictably none of them can actually help.I rang the hospital to ask if it was worth just attending the minor injuries clinic now to save some time, but they aren't allowed to put me through, I have to ring 111.Now waiting until six o'clock. Not happy.

nothing worse than a bad abscess. Get down there asap and look pathetic, with any luck they will take pity and get you sorted.

The girlfriend of a guy I work with took her car for an MOT yesterday and it failed on the following items,

Lower front suspension bushes both sides

Brake light not working

centre rear seat belt locked

I couldn't believe the quote she was given to repair the items.... £400+ parts!!!!

I popped round after work wd40ed the brake switch and took the rear seat out, released the seat belt and refitted. Took 15 minutes in total

Ordered the lower arms off ebay £35 and at about 1 hour a side to fit as it is only 6 nuts and bolts per side thought £100 including parts for 21/2 hours work was fair.....

I know they have overheads and wages etc. but how the fuck do they sleep at night when they are charging more than Â£150 an hour?

I have 'restored' two of the wheels on my Mazda. They look really good but I had to quit after two 'cos knackered. I have wanted to get the other two sorted ever since, but guess what? Its fucking rained every day since. Narked....

Went on the internet to buy a cordless buffer so I can try and sort out the water spots on my dollop and they seem to be few and far between and are either 'Mickey Mouse' or a tad pricey! Did buy a cordless drill though.... which I didn't need or want. I are twat.

As per nyphurs m4 debacle the m3 closure has caused chaos round here, not helped by downpours at lunchtime causing heavy flooding. Grump because had to take the car in to work as I needed to get my DVD recorder to my friend to solder the new capacitors. An hour and a half to get five miles home - I was planning on getting petrol on the way home as the light was on which is Russian roulette in the 6 cylinder world. I put 65 litres in the 70 litre tank after queueing for 45 minutes on the a30.

This is just a taster of things to come as the m3 is to be closed completely from the 24th to 27th June while they remove the bridge I use to get to work. The traffic will be diverted along the a30 past my drive. I am seriously considering leaving the country for this weekend.

having spoken the SWMBO it seems that the great big POS red albatross that is the Jaguar has managed to fix itself.

the traction control/ABS fail light on the dash has decided that it does not actually want to be light after all. and this after been on all last week.

and no, i've not taken the bulb out, put some tape over it or any other of the old school bodges used with faults like this. it seems that with some use the pump, has for now at least, started to work properly.

shit....

so how can this be an grump?

well i will have to renew the insurance on it and at least try to put a test on it early next month,

i had intended to just get shot of it as speares and reapers when the test ran out.

given that getting the second hand abs pump i have for it reconditioned was going to be £500-odd and god alone knows how much extra to get it fitted, i had decide that i was not going to spend  any more money on the friggin' thing... EVER.

i did piss a grand away on it earlier in the year, in a service, trying to solve the traction control/ABS fault thing and the none working a/c. the a/c lasted a fortnight, and the abs thing lasted, what, 6 weeks?

now it seems that the car has won a stay of execution/been weighted in/set on fire/other ignominious end....

It seems the golden slug doesn't like warm and wants to overheat in a similar fashion to Cort16s P6. Today was pencilled in so SWMBOs Panda decides to break down on the way to work. Recovery and a gentle probing (of the car) resulted in sod all amiss and it started and ran fine so Christ knows on that score. Well, a few hours late after taking her to work and catching the bus back home, the CX is started and rises to the challenge of taking me to the farm. No, it wants to run on three for some reason. Hmm. Plugs out and cleaned, dizzy cap off and dried out, all back together and away we go.

More hours late now and the temp gauge is rising but it gets to the yard. Will the thermostat nuts shift without destroying things? Will they bugger. Dosed up and left till sunnier days I.e tomorrow. I know I'll just blez the exhaust blow. Welder packs up. Ah! All is not lost, tappets are ticking so a quick check with the feelers. No, I've left them at home. FOR FUCKS SAKE! Car buttoned up and driven home again with heater full on.

Tonight's meal of tofu in black bean and garlic sauce turns to shit as the sauce (from my friendly Chinese supermarket) contains more salt than the Atlantic - I was surprised the jar lid hadn't rusted out. Wash it down with my nightly Chardonnay? No, run out so walked in the pissing rain round the corner to the local food emporium for a grossly inflated priced bottle of ethylene glycol enriched grape juice.

I believe today has conspired against me. It can now piss off and stop bothering me until the sun rises over the horizon.

Can you get one of those tester things to see if it's exhaust gases in the coolant?

I think that's the next step. It drives great as well when it's not blowing 4 litres of boiling water out the overflow.

If I'm still awake and in pain at 0600 that sounds like a reasonable option.

This stuff works, but probably too late for an absess.

colgate_peroxyl_mint_flav.jpg

What are the symptoms prior to this? I cracked my tooth at the back, and have a swelling. It only occasionally hurts but is very bearable, but hoping to see the dentist ASAP.

Re Rover.... 1 change rad cap make sure you have the right one there are overfow and non-overflow types depending on if you have an overflow bottle  

2 fill rad using following instructions... run the engine until the stat opens with the rad cap off, then once the stat is open, rev the engine to 12-1500 rpm, watch the coolant level in the rad drop, and top up to within 2" of the top of the rad, with the engine at that RPM, and then with it still at that rpm, fit the cap

3. check for air by doing this...with engine running but cool slightly loosen top heater hose until water comes out...

That;s a new radiator cap on it. I followed pretty much those instructions to fill the coolant I found via google. I even jacked the front of the car up but no matter how long I seem to run it, it's still spitting and bubbling.

I'm pretty fucked off with it tbh, I suspect HGF may have occurred when it overheated on the way to Glasgow that time and all the problems I've had since then have been a result of that.

why not tape an upturned pop bottle with the bottom sawn off into the filler hole and see if it pumps it out of there, it might need a small head of pressure for the circulation to work properly. Plus if its capable of pumping the water up to a height of 18" or whatever you can be failry certain its pressurising the cooling system and can buy some head gaskets in advance.

i was wondering that if you were to take the king lead off and also take the rad cap off, then get an assistant to crank the engine over if you were to see bubbles in the coolant (or even have the coolant start to jump out) whether that would be enough to indicate HGF?

when i really REALLY cooked the engine in a company focus some years ago (there was a geezer of steam out of the back of the engine, it was kippered...) the AA guy, when he eventually arrived did just that. the water in the expansion tank was bubbling like a mad thing when i turned the engine over, and he used that as a confirmation of OMGHGF.... or i could be typing twaddle!

+1 on the annoying neighbours. Mine turned up late last night shouting, slamming doors and winding his dog up so it barked. Again. Spoken to him several times now, it goes in one ear and out the other. Think I might have to call the noise pollution bods at the council. Not that that will do much.

+1 on the annoying neighbours. Mine turned up late last night shouting, slamming doors and winding his dog up so it barked. Again. Spoken to him several times now, it goes in one ear and out the other. Think I might have to call the noise pollution bods at the council. Not that that will do much.

sadly some folks are just ignorant scum

we have the same thing with bald baboon ignorant streak of piss that's next door to the FiL.

been a dirty animal he's been put into the shed, which means we get his fuckin' music most of the time up to 9pm, cos he has rights...

the rights to sit around, on his arse getting drunk and sponging off of the state. last weekend it was 70's disco that we got to listen to, joy....

I would dearly love to kick his balls into is mouth, before ramming that stereo down his neck, or just set the wanker on fire, but unfortunately that is frowned upon.