The grumpy thread

outlaw118

God gives with one hand and takes with the other....

Got a nice little bonus this morning which was most welcome and just turned on the telly (it's raining, nothing else to do for the day so why not?)  and it didn't turn on! Telly fubar it seems.

So, as I am a wasteful fiscally irresponsible twat, I have just bought a new telly from a local place cos they could deliver and install it today! Probably not the best reason for purchasing a large item, but fuck it! Apparently it's 4K and alsorts and got a 5 year warranty....

Twisted my ankle this morning at the bottom of some steps.

Still hurts like a bastard but isn't that swelled up and hasn't bruised much yet. Hope it isn't broken as I'm away for my birthday on Friday.

Related to this it's my actual birthday next Tuesday. So far no one's really said hope you have a nice time just that I'll be 40 and an old git. Think they'll find I was a bit of a git before :-)

My modern (2008 BMW 325d) is being a pain at the moment...

Friday - Brake caliper stuck on at "70" mph, had to let it cool and free with mallet in my boot

Sunday AM - Windscreen cracked in front of my eyes from a stone chip, brakes stripped and cleaned and not sticking now though.

Sunday PM - Drove off my drive and within 1/2 mile my OSF suspension spring SNAPPED causing everything to drop, queue smoke from tyre/broken suspension interface error

Had the car 3 months and I've had more niggles than any other car I've owned, even my bangers. And this is the "best" car I've had! 

My modern (2008 BMW 325d) is being a pain at the moment...

Friday - Brake caliper stuck on at "70" mph, had to let it cool and free with mallet in my boot

Sunday AM - Windscreen cracked in front of my eyes from a stone chip, brakes stripped and cleaned and not sticking now though.

Sunday PM - Drove off my drive and within 1/2 mile my OSF suspension spring SNAPPED causing everything to drop, queue smoke from tyre/broken suspension interface error

Had the car 3 months and I've had more niggles than any other car I've owned, even my bangers. And this is the "best" car I've had!

Cheer up, it could have been the timing chain!

I'd like to have a minor and pointless grump about the A6006 resurfacing work.  It's been closed for two days recently.  Over the last > 2 weeks it's had all the 50 repeaters sprayed over and a temporary but legal 30 limit imposed along the entire (several miles) full time.  The first closure resulted in a few patches being applied, the most recent on Friday, they surfaced about 90 % of the road - decentish job for top dressing, BUT they haven't done the very worst bit of it at all for some reason.

To compound my grump, some utter twat in a 57 reg BM 3 series came barrelling up behind me today - I was doing an already illegal 50, but after tailgating the flip out of me for a bit he overtook, showering me with stones. 

"How much do you want for [name of car]?"

"I'm taking offers."

"You must have a figure in mind. How much do you want?"

"I don't know what it's worth, I'm taking offers."

"Right, so how much is it?"

"I'm taking offers."

"OK [offers above average eBay finishing price for cars in similar condition]."

"No, no, no. That's nowhere near enough."

"Right, so how much do you actually want for it?"

"I'm taking offers."

Verdict: imbecile.

I have given up trying with those sorts. If there is no price in the advert, I dont bother anymre.

How much is the car?

Come and see it and we will talk.

*sigh*

I hate bellends who try to haggle over the phone without viewing first as much as the next guy, but I need to know a ballpark figure to see if its worthwile viewing or not. I am happy to travel a long way and pay a fair 1500 for the car, but if I get there to find the guy wants 3k, its a waste of everyones time as we will never meet at a common price.

Also, I know there is a lot of "how much can I rinse from the stupid foreigner" at play when they hear my accent. A lot of people expect me to turn up in a gold-plated Rolls Royce and pay double their asking price cos all Brits are apparently minted.

Ditto ... If they can't tell me a price for the car I don't bother.

I understand viewing the car, but if its 200 mile round-trip and the seller has an overestimated value it's wasting my time and petrol going to view it.

People who advertise cars with no price or 'gauging interest' are just hoping someone will offer a daft amount of money. This is often followed by 'I'm not bothered if it doesn't sell'

I have had cars where I genuinely wasn't sure what they were worth, so an internet auction site listing with no reserve is favourite.

- Order different item through ebay

- Its relatively expensive but worth paying for quality.

- Arrives today. Its cheap bullshit that doesnt fit together.

- email seller, get immediate reply. "thats the way they all are, it needs welding to fit, as stated in the advert"

- reply suggesting I am happy to weld it up as stated in the advert but the bits to be welded together are      massively different sizes, I am a good welder but not a miracle worker."

- "if you dont like it send it back, but postage is at your expense;"

This one's easy. Open not as described dispute, seller gets the option of paying massive inflated ebay price for return, or can give you money back. Sucks for sellers, but some deserve it.

My weekly rota, same days never changes, has just been rearranged - no notice/lead in period.

From Thu/Fri every second week to Mon/Tue every second week.

Im not too fussed, OH retired for our anklebiter cover BUT a proper ffup to other workers who have childcover/shifts overlap.

Just 'aye.. whatever'

All treated like contractors :(

TS

I reckon you must be more upset than you're letting on - almost that entire post was in English. :?

I reckon you must be more upset than you're letting on - almost that entire post was in English. :?

Well.... If you take the week of 7days (Sat - Fri) usually followed by short week (Mon - Wed) BUT reverse ROTA in the middle of short week = I worked 7straight/2off/7straight :(

OK... So my oppo got 2 weekends off, so 'ill wind' :)

Bastards

TS

This one's easy. Open not as described dispute, seller gets the option of paying massive inflated ebay price for return, or can give you money back. Sucks for sellers, but some deserve it.

I got stuck in a post office queue behind a guy who was trying to use one of the ebay return labels to send back a motorcycle fairing. It was in a box that must have been 4 foot square, and the woman was trying to explain why it couldn't be sent on a royal mail parcels ticket! He just kept insisting that eBay told him to do it, and it had to use that label so they could track it back to the seller's house. It turned out to be too big for parcelforce as well in the end, and he took it away.

The recent trend of 'only selling because I've bought another car' on social media adverts. Presumably you've only bought another car because the one you're selling is shit then?

Selfish thoughless people i have the pleasure of living next to. I painted my fence and when i did i was careful. Don't you worry, just paint my shed, caravan and wee ones play stuff. I need to move sick of these folk they always piss me off somehow.

Hey! Another "GAH, eBay" grump...

Bought a greenhouse the other week, standard alu framed 8x6 thing. When I went to put it up at the weekend I noticed a distinct lack of instructions in the box so I emailed the seller asking if they could send me a PDF, and they did that this morning.

Now I've got instructions it is suddenly obvious that I don't have all the parts of the frame! FFS. Advert said "brand new, unopened" and they've sent me one someone else already opened and sent back with bits missing.

Waiting for a reply from the seller before I use the eBay "not as described" system.