The grumpy thread

outlaw118

What is it with bald blokes who insist on growing big bushy beards? It looks like their heads are on upside down.

On the plus side the fridge is fucked, the water softener is fucked and the clock in the living room is fucked.

It's a blessing that my Golf is as rotten as a pear, my Astra van could do with a new turbo, front discs and rear shocks. The Land Rover needs a rear cross member.

Oh! I forgot to mention Christmas is nearly upon us.

I actually feel a bit better for getting that off my chest.

That's it. After 35 years of avid following I have decided that F1 is officially a load of shit.

I have turned it off in favour of doing a pile of ironing. If a diehard like me prefers ironing to racing then I can't see how it has more than five years left in it.

Me too. Apart from the ironing obviously.

I've been an F1 fan for as long as I can remember but just can't be arsed with it now. Dull racing, largely dull drivers and on the occasions when I've decided to give it a chance and watch a live race on telly, it's been utterly, spectacularly dull.

I really stopped watching after Murray walker retired. It just doesn't interest me anymore - and I had watched every race up until then. Seems to be a procession of computer controlled machines now rather than a show of driving skill and flair. I think Bernie eccleston is to blame- he keeps fiddling with the rules and these new tracks are just like computer games with no atmosphere.

Can't think of the last time I watched F1, it's absolute dog turd and has been for many years.

Loads of excited local people because the 'Christmas Guiness' wagon is coming. I appreciate it's been talked about before on here, but it's actually sad that people are looking forward to a BFO mobile advert.

Aye. The poison dwarf couldn't give a toss what we think, because it's still one amazing cash cow. I wonder if he actually watches the races at all?

Many years ago my mum came in when watching it on tv, and said "who's that man? His daughter is very tall". Yes, well.... I did correct her.

Fed up with the self-righteous gobshites on Capital Radio in the morning. They seem to have a vocabulary of about sixteen words and they ALWAYS play wither Ellie Goulding or Taylor Swift. SHITE. Unfortunately the reception is piss poor around Cumbernauld so its the only popular misuc station that I can listen to without the radion constantly self seeking. I have therefore taken to listening to BBC Scotland on the drive to and from work as you seem to be able to get that wjere all other stations are long lost. I have actually found what a philistine I have become and the topical and cultural articles are interesting and keep my mind off the tailgaters.

I think F1 started getting shite the day 12 people wheeled their cars out of a garage and decided to race them round a track. I liked the rivalry and personalities of Nigel Mansell and Michael Schumacher but I can't ever remember it being entertaining. I always loved BTCC years ago.

Fed up with the self-righteous gobshites on Capital Radio in the morning. They seem to have a vocabulary of about sixteen words and they ALWAYS play wither Ellie Goulding or Taylor Swift. SHITE. Unfortunately the reception is piss poor around Cumbernauld so its the only popular misuc station that I can listen to without the radion constantly self seeking. I have therefore taken to listening to BBC Scotland on the drive to and from work as you seem to be able to get that wjere all other stations are long lost. I have actually found what a philistine I have become and the topical and cultural articles are interesting and keep my mind off the tailgaters.

Capital FM is only good for playing in the background when you're standing around on your council estate waiting for someone to mug

Thinking about it, my interest in F1 has waned massively since he stepped down.  It just...isn't the same without his voice, just like wildlife programmes that aren't narrated by David Attenborough just don't sound right.

Aye - about right there Pieman

I think F1 started getting shite the day 12 people wheeled their cars out of a garage and decided to race them round a track. I liked the rivalry and personalities of Nigel Mansell and Michael Schumacher but I can't ever remember it being entertaining. I always loved BTCC years ago.

My issue with F1 now is that the cars are too reliable. 30 years ago, there was a lot of entertainment in the 2nd half of each race as various people in the top ten would slow down or drop out with various maladies. Odd drivers won a Grand Prix after letting the pack rush of into the distance then fail one by one.

That changing story during a race is what F1 has lost and endurance racing and BTCC still have.

Also tyre wars, you car can't be the quickest on every circuit because they have the better tyres some of the time.

I think SIAB has absolutely nailed it. Races used to be interesting because of the mantra "To finish First, first you have to finish". I love F1, my 2nd earliest memory is of Senna and Prost's entanglement in Suzuka in 1989 at 27 months old (Tobacco advertising FTW!), and even I found it dreary this year.

Unfortunately in the 2000s the safe development of tracks couldn't keep up with the speeds required to keep up unreliability as teams didn't need to push the envelope as far anymore, and let's face it after the death of Senna, there was a sea change in attitudes towards driver safety. Better aero computing and a notional testing reduction in the cause of cost-cutting has meant that teams left behind (see McLaren in 2015) find it harder to catch back up having dropped a bollock right at the start. I may have heard this wrong, but the biggest mid-season developments might not even have been car related, but to do with advances in the fuels being used.

That's pants as far as the spectator is concerned. Now that Mark Webber has left F1 a big chunk of anti-PR left with it. Kimi is still Kimi, and Alonso is trying his best, but most of the rest are pre-programmed soundbites. I hated Vettel as a driver during his WC years, but going by the interviews that he does away from the paddock, like on Top Gear it seems like he might actually be the funniest German on the planet, but sadly this doesn't come across on race day.

I would scrap all "advice" chats to drivers, and limit the number of engine modes to 5 or fewer to which again, the pit wall are not allowed to advise the driver what to use. Other than the lack of soundtrack I think that the current engines are very relevant to road going engine tech, so I would keep those, but open things back up to a choice of V6-T, V8, V10, V12 type like it was in the 80s and 90s. I like DRS as I believe that F1 cars have to be the pinnacle of aero tech. Unfortunately, we've now got too good at aero! I don't like tyre wars though, unless there are more than 2 competing tyres. The Indy debacle is still too fresh in the memory.

There are I'm sure many issues with those proposals, but it would bring back some of the humanity to the sport which has sadly been lost in the past few seasons.

Mrs_Sterling's visa application has been rejected. How quaint...

So, last month, in early November, I made a Visa application for Mrs_Sterling to come over to the UK and join me. I do everything by the book, pay for the Visa, register at thier "partners" TLSContact and make an appointment for her to attend. Meanwhile back here in the UK, I get all the papers she needs and get them sent over. Soon the day of the interview rolls around and off she goes, accompanied by my cousin and his wife (who is her sister)

This is where problem No. 1 arises; She gets to the door only to be told she cannot enter as she needs to pay a fee, a fee? What fucking fee? I paid for everything already. Seemingly I did not pay fully for the 'premium service' I selected, however, they were willing to waver the fee if she comes back in a few days time, but to do this, I'd have to change the interview date. So, I log into TLSContact to see what the deal is, password and username carefully typed in...nowt... Ok, forget that, I'll try Visa4UK, again, carefully type in username and password...nowt...again...

I had this before during the first aborted application, coming back to find that the passwords on TLSContact, Visa4UK and the email I was using had been completely changed disabling access. How quaint...

I managed eventually to get into both sites using the 'forgotten password' facility only to find that the Visa application form that I'd filled out, saved and submitted was *missing* gone. Now is states on thier site that a visa application form, even if submitted will stay on thier site for 2 years or summat. Hmmm, I wonder who has been messing around because it certainly isn't me...

We were almost at a stalemate, but thankfully I had sent Mrs_Sterling some money before so she had just enough to cover the entrance fee. Interview was taken, her passport was taken and then it was just a matter of waiting...

A week later I get 3 emails, stating that a decision has been made and that her passport was ready for collection. Today we find out that our masters have rejected her application. Twats.

Fuck them. I'll bring her over here. If they want to stop me, they'll have to kill me.

i know how to fix formula 1.

leave the current driver safety items in place, cos we don't want to watch people die like in olden days and also abs, but nearly all the other things, launch control, shit loads of buttons on the steering wheels, automatic gearboxes and the wing things opening and closing houle be binned off.

then it is more about the drivers and whatever the car is underneath them rather than whoever has managed to do the best compoiooter programming.

when the drivers are required to change their own gears without blowing up the engine, getting away without jump starting and then perhaps some of the shine will return.

however none of this will ever happen as long as it remains bernie eccles-cakes personal money making show.

also i heard the first xmas record on the wireless today, friggin' john friggin' lennon "happy shitting christmas" its only the first of december too....

humbug!!

humbug i say!!

Mrs_Sterling's visa application has been rejected. How quaint...

So, last month, in early November, I make a Visa application for Mrs_Sterling to come over to the UK and join me. I do everything by the book, pay for the Visa, register at thier "partners" TLSContact and make an appointment for her to attend. Meanwhile back here in the UK, I get all the papers she needs and get them sent over. Soon the day comes around and off she goes, accompanied by my cousin and his wife (who is her sister)

This is where problem 1 arises; She gets to the door only to be told she cannot enter as she needs to pay a fee, a fee? What fucking fee? I pad for everything. Seemingly I did not pay fully for the 'premium service' I selected, however, they were willing to waver the fee if she comes back in a few days time, but to do this, I'd have to change the date. So, I log into TLSContact to see whatbthe deal is, password and username carefully typed in...nowt... Ok, forget that, I'll try Visa4Uk, carefully type in username and password...nowt...again...

I had this before durimg the first aborted application, coming back to it to find that the passwords on TLSContact, Visa4uk and the email I was using had been completely changed. How quaint...

I managed eventually to get into both sites using the 'forgotten password' facility only to fimd that the Visa application form that I'd filled out, saved and submitted was *missing* gone. Now is states on thier site that a visa application form, even if submitted will stay on thier site for 2 years or summat. Hmmm, I wonder who has been messing around because it certainly isn't me...

Were almost at a stalemate, but thankfully I had sent Mrs_Sterling some money before so she had just enough to cover the entrance fee. Interview was taken, her passport was taken and then it was just a matter of waiting...

A week later I get 3 emails, stating that a decision has been made and that her passport was ready for collection. Today we find out that our masters have rejected her application. Twats.

Fuck them, I'll bring her over here, if they want to stop me, they can kill me.

Could you both move somewhere less strict? I know you have links with Belgium and France, but that's not very helpful at the moment either.