The grumpy thread

outlaw118

About to test Mrs R's shite-count.   She needs a lift (in a posh frock) to a tea party later today.   The Cowley desperately needs a good run out but there are no carpets and the seat stuffing is coming out of every stitch.   Theres an old army blanket covering* the worst of it.   Also last time she was togged up the fan belt went so she has less than rosy memories of the car right now.   Bet we end up taking the Merc.....

I reckon most DSG boxes must be a lot better than this as people rave about the VW one.

I am a confirmed VAG H8R, but I must admit that the DSG is the smoothest automatic box I've ever encountered.

It's bIoody complex, though, and I wouldn't want to pay the bill when it eventually goes wrong... ALL MODERN BOXEZ R SHIT, BRING BACK TEH TORQUEFLITE etc.

The DSG boxes are good although I wouldn't want to own one with 130,000 miles on it.

I drove a 3.2 Audi Titi with that box and it managed to be fast on the flappy paddles without that big thunk you get from robotic gearboxes and a smooth auto in normal drive mode. Not as impressive as the 3 speed slushomatic in my Rover obv but still impressive.

Hi viz vests

Can we make it so they are licensed and you have to prove your need to wear one?

These were traditionally used as society's marker for someone who should have tried harder at school. 

The lines seem to be blurring somewhat these days though with anyone and everyone wearing them in roles that do not even require them to be 'highly visable'. I see gardeners wearing them when mowing the lawn. Why, surely something high viz would be better off on the flowerbed so that you can spot my shrubs before you trample all over them.  

Social climbing by clothing. Whatever next. Suppose its the exact opposire of Burberry

Social climbing by clothing. Whatever next.

Social climbing by clothing has beeen around for a very long time; probably as long as clothing has. Going right back to the beginning, I imagine that wandering around in nice furs would mark you out as a competent hunter!

Clothing choice can say "I'm wealthy and can afford nice clothes", or "I'm switched on, tuned in and trendy". As far as workwear is concerned, it can say "I'm important and not to be fucked with" or - if it's a high vis jacket - something more like "I'm busy doing a job, please respect that and co-operate with me". It's a styling element that both those with genuine authority (police) have in common with those who are genuinely busy and doing an important job (like those who repair roads, utility pipework, etc).

If I was going to try to nick a car using the tactic of blatantly hiabing it in broad daylight, I'd wear a high vis jacket. Partly for the very simple reason that it's a good idea to look like the "real thing" but also because the jacket might help reduce the likelihood of being asked awkward questions by neighbours or whatever. Before approaching me, my attire would already have declared my bona fides.

apparently a hi viz and a clipboard means you can commit any crime in broad daylight, no questions asked.

Also, I've recently moved up the social ladder by ditching the yellow hi viz and wearing an orange one instead. Instant manager powerz!

I look like stig of the dump,burnt and holed overalls,beardy,weathered,knackered boots etc

I go shopping like that,I've normally got a minimum of £150 in cash in my top overall pocket and buy the most expensive option of whatever's there, last summer I'd sold a car for £2k and kept the money in my top pocket for about 6 weeks, kept pulling £50's out in my local co-op :)

I borrowed a work van today, drove to a store, and left with £5k worth of very nice new TVs.

I had permission to do so. It was all legit. But because I went in via the warehouse, I had a hi-vis on. Because I had a hi-vis on, nobody questioned a thing. No paperwork, no phone calls, nothing.

Because I had a hi-vis on, they loaded my van for me! The van wasn't even signwritten, I can't drive our 3.5t lutons as I have no tacho card so they gave me a hired white sprinter.

I managed to break two toes this morning getting into the bath/shower. You are not supposed to kick shit out of the bloody thing... apparently! However, because of the amount of painkillers/nerve damage (completely dead left leg!) I've got, I didn't notice until I looked down and saw two little piggies sticking out at a funny angle. I just twisted/bent them back into position and carried on. I had to go to the hospital today anyway for a scan (yet another!) on my spine so got them to see if I'd done any damage.... er, yes!

JEREMY VINE, Y U SHOUT?

(News at 10, BBC1)

Jeremy Vine is a grade a cunt, no question

My gripe for today is twats at traffic lights, why is it such a surprise that they have turned green and you have to set off, wankers, its pretty fucking obvious if they are red when you stop they might change anytime soon requiring you to get a move on and not make impatient fuckers like me wait for 5 minutes whilst they cycle again, twats

I borrowed a work van today, drove to a store, and left with £5k worth of very nice new TVs.

I had permission to do so. It was all legit. But because I went in via the warehouse, I had a hi-vis on. Because I had a hi-vis on, nobody questioned a thing. No paperwork, no phone calls, nothing.

Because I had a hi-vis on, they loaded my van for me! The van wasn't even signwritten, I can't drive our 3.5t lutons as I have no tacho card so they gave me a hired white sprinter.

I think that could happen pretty much anywhere if you were bold enough. So many temps and visitors at my place I have no idea who they are, and certainly don't have the time to question anyone I don't know.

Jeremy Vine is a grade a cunt, no question

My gripe for today is twats at traffic lights, why is it such a surprise that they have turned green and you have to set off, wankers, its pretty fucking obvious if they are red when you stop they might change anytime soon requiring you to get a move on and not make impatient fuckers like me wait for 5 minutes whilst they cycle again, twats

Probably the same people at supermarket checkouts, who seem completely surprised when they're asked to pay and need to get their purse/wallet out.