The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I am convinced my 460 is the wheeled morning star.

I was going to post up a jaunty thread with non-angled pictures and shit because the unit is finally getting sorted and the 305 is finally going under cover after two years of non stop pelters from the landlord. That's right. It hasn't moved for two years. I parked it up shortly after Cholmondeley '11 because the carburettor was being a pig and the bottom end was rattling its clopper off. Had a ferret around under it in the pissing rain this evening and while some of it's depressingly bad, other parts are quite serviceable. Fuck knows how I'm gonna convert it to injection, though - the engine I have planned ain't running on carbs.

Bought some Gutmann wheels and some early 405 rims for it, too.

Except the 460 is there too at the moment. No, no, no - I can't possibly have TWO cars there, can I? The fucking cheek of me doing that! Farmer's been complaining his arse off to Andy who lied and said it was his. Farmer's attitude is really pissing me off. He's nice as pie to Andy but won't even fucking address me - he just grumbles some shit wanting 'those cars moved' (two of which aren't even fucking mine for fuck's sake) and does one.

Starter is kebabed and after drag starting it with a 960 diesel estate (not mine) the entire length of Wardle Road, it ran far enough for me to get it to the unit. Seriously, you'd think I didn't pay rent or anything, I love how expensive my shelving is. Wirral storage situation is also a massive pile of shit. I need to broach the GS issue with SCTSH sooner rather than later.

It's also that time of year when I decide I have too much shit and decide to flog most of it. Expect a comprehensive cavalcade of tat for sale soon.

No-one needs 83 SLR cameras, 867 models and an archive's worth of old posters, right? Some free with postage, some costing.

THINGS NOT FOR SALE

Amazon

460 Turbo

C4

GS

Amazon tuning parts

I have a fair bit of random CX crap, a Caravelle steering wheel and bumloads of models I need to get shut of. Running out of room, and money.

Aren't there plans ahoy to move somewhere else on the Wirral? The situation there does look a bit crap, but there does seem to be a fair bit of room and security.

5, or 6, whatever, pages of mostly new car bashing does my nut in. 15/20/30 years ago people probably said the kind of stuff we own now was shit (and they were probably correct) but thankfully people bought these things new or we wouldn't be running round in them right now. It's been said a shit load of times before but most modern technology is great and a fair bit probably saves lives, so why are we moaning about it? I'll have central locking, disc brakes, airbags and injection units any day of the week, thankyou.

Well we've moved on slightly from 'all Vauxhalls are shit'.

I see your point though, I actually wanted to start a thread with a sensible discussion about banger racing but decided not to in the end because of the inevitable!

You should.

I like Banger racing, used to frequent Arena Essex years and years back to watch people trying to kill themselves. Some of those cars were fabulously prepared.

Fuck it, I will start one, it might die on its arse tho.

Sorry Freebird. I was entirely predictable...

Hahahaha!

No problems, maybe Mr Sparrow had the right idea, the subject does polarise opinions just a tad.

I have to be honest that many years ago, i loved going to watch it then, as i got older and began to REALLY appreaciate old tin, I became very anti banger and had the very same views as you.

Now? Life is way too short, not every car can be saved and I cannot feel aggrieved that Mr Banger racer has more folding in his pocket than me AND the space to buy and store the kind of cars that id love to tuck away. You cannot save them all and they would only end up rotting beyond any economic repair or get weighed in.

Fair play to them really.

I would send him one last message saying you are going to open a dispute with e-bay, give him 48 hours or something similar to respond. If he doesn't then open a case with e-bay it is pretty straight foward. I had to do that once as I waited over a month and the seller kept stalling and then stopped responding all together. I did get a refund.

Guess what, the guy has just messaged me! Basically i'd bought a saab coil pack and fuel pump but the package was returned by the post office as it has pissed out a load of petrol. OBV it hadnt been packaged very well. No idea if its BS or not but i've been refunded. Shame as it wss a huge bargain.

Guess what, the guy has just messaged me! Basically i'd bought a saab coil pack and fuel pump but the package was returned by the post office as it has pissed out a load of petrol. OBV it hadnt been packaged very well. No idea if its BS or not but i've been refunded. Shame as it wss a huge bargain.

Sounds like cobblers to me. Otherwise surely he'd just re-package it? The fact that it was a huge bargain reinforces this conclusion. At least you got your cash back!

Sounds like cobblers to me. Otherwise surely he'd just re-package it? The fact that it was a huge bargain reinforces this conclusion. At least you got your cash back!

Nowt to do with me! I'm innocent!

TBH I'd put it half down to the bloke not really giving much of a shit about cleaning it seeing as it wasn't a very motivated sale, and half an overactive posties nose.

I've had posties complain about anything that even smells mildly of anything petrolish. I wiped an exhaust I was selling down with thinners to get some overspray off it, wrapped it in loads of plastic wrap and they wouldn't touch the thing til I opened it up to show them there was no liquids in.

I still haven't recieved my goods from an ebay seller, it's been 2 weeks since they were allegedly postedand the seller wont respond to messages. What should i do next?

I'm going through exactly the same scenario, albeit with a Mk4 Golf door mirror. I rang the guy up and paid over the phone after seeing his ebay advert but it's been over a week now and the guy has also stopped responding. What should I do as well??

I still haven't recieved my goods from an ebay seller, it's been 2 weeks since they were allegedly postedand the seller wont respond to messages. What should i do next?

I'm going through exactly the same scenario, albeit with a Mk4 Golf door mirror. I rang the guy up and paid over the phone after seeing his ebay advert but it's been over a week now and the guy has also stopped responding. What should I do as well??

Two weeks? Luxury, sheer luxury...

Ive waited as long, piss poor communications and, just when im about to concede defeat, the stuff turns up.

I always pay by credit card, if the stuff "goes missing in transit" (yeah right) I can claim the money back via the insurance on the payment.

Its the only way to deal without sweating.

It's also that time of year when I decide I have too much shit and decide to flog most of it. Expect a comprehensive cavalcade of tat for sale soon.

No-one needs 83 SLR cameras,

???? I should imagine that they'll fit nicely into a couple of tea chest and as long as you aren't hurting anyone I can't see why you should feel obliged to sell if they give you pleasure. You can spend you own hard earned how you fucking well like.

Banger racing is great / shit / brilliant / scum of the earth / wonderous / terrible.

New cars are shit / ace / worst thing EVAR / good / killing kittens / perfectly ok.

Repeat quarterly until the end of time.

aye...that sounds about right............

Fucking brill....

1. Accidently delete a load of photos from this bloody tablet thing. Tried a few of these photo/data recovery programmes but they don't work as they can't read the internal memory.

2. Get a good and somewhat unexpected quote from my insurance company regarding the Glaaaage Sterling, but I need a membership number, being a "member" of mg-rover.org, I upgrade my membership and ask for a membership number, I emailed the admins this morning and not had a reply, were gonna be cutting this fine if cms wants to bring my car down this coming Saturday.

Just received several bills forwarded from the old house that total £900. WTactualF? At least one of the bills is addressed to me for a period I didn't even live in the property, and the others are from companies who were supposed to be sending bills to my new address but have apparently doubled the quantities written on them. Queue some irate phone calls from me later. I'm also monumentally pissed off with the dog at the moment who has taken to barking until 3am and giving me 3 hours sleep before starting it all again, for several hours, for no reason. Apparently, he does this whenever Mum and Dad go away and this time I get to enjoy* his repertoire of annoying dog noises.

Sold a cycle pump recently on eBay and was getting some questions from a potential buyer in Ireland who wanted it. I changed my settings to allow 'foreigners' to bid, he still couldn't place a bid for some reason, and it ended up going to Portugal.

The winning bidder took a fair while to respond to payment request and when they did cough it was Monday and I was stuck at work all week unable to get to a P.O. Anyhow I sent it off, marked it as dispatched and now they're claiming they didn't get it.

They can GTFO because we have the receipt from P.O somewhere, but I just know they'll whine to Paypal and they'll find in their favour :evil:

Oh, and +46 on the quarterly bangers/new cars are shit, shit.

The Saab's voltage regulator issue is getting more and more annoying by the day. :evil:

It looks do-able in situ but I don't have anything that'll undo the screws since the alternator sits so close to the oil filter, there's maybe an inch and a bit clearance.

Is there such a thing as an allen key-shaped tool but with a cross head screwdriver on it instead of a hex shaped end?

The local garage doesn't want to know (reading between the lines I think they've tried it before. They certainly knew removing the alternator was a PITA on a 900 with aircon) and the local auto spark they recommended doesn't want to fit a part they haven't supplied and also doesn't want to get involved if removing the alternator means de-plumbing the aircon, which it would.... :roll:

I'm sure I've seen the tool that you describe, not sure what it would be called though. Can you choose a sacrificial screwdriver and doctor into the tool you need?

I'd thought about that, but I have no idea how I'd cut the shaft off and bend it without heat/large hammer/vice etc?

I'm a bit shit at DIY really. I can do basic stuff with basic tools but beyond that I don't have the facilities/experience/patience to do anything clever. :oops:

ms7PV4hoEhwXaBc7a0Hq39A.jpg

Is it possible to get one of these in there held in a pair of very small molegrips? Would removing the oilfilter give yu any more access? Other than that, I'd be thinking it's bend a screwdriver time.

Edit:

but I have no idea how I'd cut the shaft off and bend it without heat

Do you know a friend with a gas cooker in their kitchen? heat it up on that, then bend it using a pair of pliers in a heat-bend-heat-bend sequence until it's the right shape or it breaks, whichever comes first.