The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I;m collecting a Mondeo tomorrow, except the guy i'm collecting it from isn't answering his phone and won't reply to texts. FUCKING HELL.

Sure enough I travelled from Stoke to Brum as previously arranged to get this Mondy and the guy still wouldn't answer his phone so didnt get it. It wasn't a completely wasted journey however as I spent some time with Dad and we went to Coventry airport to see the Avro Shackleton there running it's engines up. Frigging bastarding well spectacular it was.

CONTRA-ROTATING PROPS "N" ROLLZ ROYCE GRIFFINS KICKIN IN Y0!

59736_10152537266040436_815355343_n.jpg

All that made up for an otherwise waste of a perfectly good Saturday.

Just as I was preparing to go home I had a phonecall. "Where are you?, I've been waiting in all day for you to get this Mondeo!" Tossers.

Apparently the Vodafone network in Solihull has been down today so nobody has been able to get through. The Mondy was out of the garage, cleaned and ready to go. I'm going to re-arrange for either next weekend or the weekend after as its very cheap.... infact it's my favourite price.

Apparently the Vodafone network in Solihull has been down today so nobody has been able to get through. The Mondy was out of the garage, cleaned and ready to go. I'm going to re-arrange for either next weekend or the weekend after as its very cheap.... infact it's my favourite price.

Ahh. That's ok then!

Good luck with the purchase!

Another, separate grump- but related to the Mondeo grump- I recently had the Saab remapped from 170 to 230BHP. This is fun and I enjoyed the trip to Brum and back, however my clutch is now slipping a bit when I floor it. Serves me right I suppose.

Hey, MCOLON, I'm going to steal that joke, thanks!

Talktalk are universally acclaimed as the shittiest of all broadband providers. I'm also a Plusnet customer and I'm also quite happy with them- although they are a bit on the expensive side (I think I pay about £26 a month for line rental & ADSL ).

Plusnet is owned by BT.

In truth, Talk Talk have loads of customers because they are cheap.

They are also horrifically bad at what they do and 99.999999% of their customers ive had dealings with couldnt wait to dump them.

Cheaper is not better.

Have been with SKY for years. Never had a problem so far.

The guy on ebay selling a mk2 fiesta ghia. Its a 1400 yet he is calling it an xr2. I messaged him and he told me to "fuck off as he and everyone else who knows about cars will know its an xr2..."...ok....prick.

This is the ad.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ford-Fiesta-Ghia ... ~60_12.JPG

Also this is a strange one, its a "mk1 fiesta xr2", yet it has wrong front end and a 1300 engine. Even if it is a genuine xr2 whih the guy reckons it is, surely them "mods" have devalued it completely as now its not an xr2 at all!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111007468399? ... 1423.l2649

Maybe im just sad.

Fair play, but in my eyes, once the engine is removed, especially for a smaller CC one, and the front end looks different, then its not an xr2, its all about the originality i think

True, but if you found a round-headlight front panel and a transverse 1600 X-flow and fitted them, it would then be a "proper" XR2 again - you could buy a 1300S and do the same mods, but it'd never be a genuine XR2 and would be left behind when the prices inevitably go stratospheric as they do with all sporting old Fords (especially ones I used to own examples of and sold for peanuts :roll: )

I call "Bullshit" on the "XR2".... it's a second hand "other model generic" shell.... it doesn't have the XR2 specific rear panel intact.... Whilst pattern panels for lesser models fit, it would be a silly omission on his part to ignore the spare wheel bulge.... unique to this model.... not often a place that rots. Yes, prone to damage, but easy to spoon out, as access is 100%.

The bloke's a scammer/knobber/cockwad obviously.

Beige cortina has tried to kill me. :evil:

Coming home from work last night, just off the motorway i was coming up to a junction, lifted off knocked it down into third started to press the brake and ..........fuck all :shock: pedal went to almost the floor just before it hit the carpet i locked the brakes up and flicked the car sideways..... i ended up broadside across a main road 10 feet from the arse end of an artic.....with brown pants.

Pressing the pedal it feels springy till it's an inch off the floor then bites like a rotty with mustard up it's arse, this is accopanied by a hiss and a bogging down of the engine.

So a wild guess would be master cylinder has croaked, which pisses me off as it's only 10 months old. I've still got the original so may put a rebuild kit in it. Current car status;

1) X-reg cortina, fooked brakes, fooked carb

2)Y-reg cortina, bizarre electrickery gremlin has a nest in here and likes eating coils :evil: , screen washers don't work,think the rack is fooked as it steer ike a galleon.

3)X-reg lupo, needed roll bar bushes, front shocks, 3 tyres, an o/s/f lamp and a few other bits........before it was parked up 2 years ago, so probaly a shit load more is needed now.

Beige cortina has tried to kill me. :evil:

Coming home from work last night, just off the motorway i was coming up to a junction, lifted off knocked it down into third started to press the brake and ..........fuck all :shock: pedal went to almost the floor just before it hit the carpet i locked the brakes up and flicked the car sideways..... i ended up broadside across a main road 10 feet from the arse end of an artic.....with brown pants.

Pressing the pedal it feels springy till it's an inch off the floor then bites like a rotty with mustard up it's arse, this is accopanied by a hiss and a bogging down of the engine.

So a wild guess would be master cylinder has croaked, which pisses me off as it's only 10 months old. I've still got the original so may put a rebuild kit in it. Current car status;

2)Y-reg cortina, bizarre electrickery gremlin has a nest in here and likes eating coils :evil: , screen washers don't work,think the rack is fooked as it steer ike a galleon.

3)X-reg lupo, needed roll bar bushes, front shocks, 3 tyres, an o/s/f lamp and a few other bits........before it was parked up 2 years ago, so probaly a shit load more is needed now.

Nasty...are the brakes servo assisted?, sounds a bit like the servo may have let go at the vital moment.

Flippin 'eck Met! Glad your ok though.

Grump from me today (as if there isn't enough already) is, the flu has decided to rear its ugly head and make me feel like someone fat has landed on me. My head hurts, and I feel rather shit.

Good thing about it though is, it seems to be a 'half arsed' type of flu, not much in the way of the usual sore throat or blocked noses, only had these for literally a few hours, secondly, I can take the day off work tomorrow and try and buy some insurance for this KV6 Sterling.

Yeah servo assisted, the car is an 1982 1600gl saloon.

When i got it, it had been in storage for fifteen years so i rebuilt the brakes (new calipers, shoes, cylinders, metal lines, flexi's etc... ) it got everything apart from a servo, drums and discs (it had only done 19,000 miles, only has 24,000 now).

I've heard you can replace the servo and master with mk2 granada bits for a bit of an upgrade, but they would have to secondhand an would undoubtedly want an overhaul as well.

What really pisses me off is i'd just put £40 quid in the greedy bugger. :(

When i got it, it had been in storage for fifteen years so i rebuilt the brakes (new calipers, shoes, cylinders, metal lines, flexi's etc... ) it got everything apart from a servo, drums and discs (it had only done 19,000 miles, only has 24,000 now).

I've heard you can replace the servo and master with mk2 granada bits for a bit of an upgrade, but they would have to secondhand an would undoubtedly want an overhaul as well.

Check the servo pipe, its not always the servo. The pipe,when old, can collapse internally so that it "looks" ok on a visual.

Deffo sounds like the servo, Generally, if the master cylinder gives up, you can get braking back with a pump of the pedal and, as you keep your foot on the pedal it slowly goes to the floor.

Failed vac assistance would give a hard pedal, and not affect in the respect of greater travel. I suggest using a master/servo form one of your other cars in the interim, so you have a quick fix, and rebuild this lot at your leisure to refit to the donor.

That would be my thinking too. Two possibilities. Either the master cylinder is duff or (and this happened a LOT in my Scimitar) the pads have somehow been worked away from the disc, so you get more movement at the pedal as you push the pads back towards the disc again. A worn wheel bearing might allow that. Especially possible if you'd been driving for a while without touching the middle pedal. And yes, proper touching-cloth time! Happily for me, I've driven old cars for a long time, so the first time that happened in the Scimitar, I just pumped the pedal a couple of times and had full braking again.

1- They often do that :shock:

2- If it's eating coils have you checked the balast resistor wire? if not do away with it and get a non resistor coil to solve the problem..... Fuse or stalk....yes it is fucked, get a rebuilt one at your factors for about £40....all easy fixes :D

Master cylinders can be replaced with LandRover ones for a larger bore...

This happened to me when I was learning to drive - we were going up the A82 above Tarbert at Loch Lomond to get some slates for the house when the brake pedal started travelling very far. I commented on this to my dad who snapped back that he didn't care if I had to push the pedal to the front valence, but slow down for these corners. He soon took over because he knew the little road we were to take to get the slates; at the next application of the brakes, he uttered, "Oooohhh Jesus Christ!!!" - I hadn't been lying, dad...

So on the way back there's me with the L-plates on, rain pissing down at 2nd speed on the wipers, half a ton of slates in the boot on the old twisty Loch Lomond road, with instructions to "pump the brakes"...

Master cylinder seals were knackered - Bendix master cylinder, rather than Girling - dad was mightily pissed off that you had to buy the pistons and seals as a unit, you couldn't just buy the seals themselves.

whitevanman says...

Master cylinders can be replaced with LandRover ones for a larger bore...

one the master cylinders is the same fit as a landrover, but i have found 3 different ones (with different bolt spacing) used on the mk5 so you cant assume a landrover one is going to fit straight on