The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Fucking brilliant. Just been told at work that I won't have a job after 4 weeks. There has been a lot of changes and my "employers" (I work for an agency :( ) of whom are contractors on tbe site I work at have been given a smaller area and less doors combined with a newer way of working meaning they won't need as many people as they already have, so obviously, being agency means that we are first out of the door.

Just as I was settling in the place, all the right noises were being made too regarding a permanent position. :(

So, with my car smoking out its own engine, a girl I've been chatting up already has a boyfriend and now I face losing my job.

FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Fucking brilliant. Just been told at work that I won't have a job after 4 weeks. There has been a lot of changes and my "employers" (I work for an agency :( ) of whom are contractors on tbe site I work at have been given a smaller area and less doors combined with a newer way of working meaning they won't need as many people as they already have, so obviously, being agency means that we are first out of the door.

Just as I was settling in the place, all the right noises were being made too regarding a permanent position. :(

So, with my car smoking out its own engine, a girl I've been chatting up already has a boyfriend and now I face losing my job.

FOR FUCKS SAKE.

What is it you do for a living?

I’m sure a ex-cyprus v6 manual granny ghia will be gold dust for him.

Meanwhile, the Jeep owner will still be interested too, and tbh it won't matter much if he's sold the Jeep while he's been waiting.

Mr B is right but the jeep will be coal dust dont do it

Nowt interesting, just work been working for FedEx loading containers/dealing with truck drivers and (unificially) training up newer agency lads. I was more or less treated like a fully contracted worker and given responsibilities that an agency wouldn't normally be given.

The manager did sit down with me some months back and asked me if I would send in my CV and covering letter to them as a possible full time position would be advertised, which it was, but then, the company we were contracted to decided to sell up to some investors who have been building an extended area on the back which will be used as a full warehouse until the main bit is gutted and rebuilt with new lines.

The job itself was a bit shit in all honesty but I got on with my colleagues and the manager, we were not a big team (only 4 of us) the hours were pretty good and it was a pretty easy place to work in. This is something I will lose now as I know its hard to find that right balance.

Nowt interesting, just work been working for FedEx loading containers/dealing with truck drivers and (unificially) training up newer agency lads. I was more or less treated like a fully contracted worker and given responsibilities that an agency wouldn't normally be given.

The manager did sit down with me some months back and asked me if I would send in my CV and covering letter to them as a possible full time position would be advertised, which it was, but then, the company we were contracted to decided to sell up to some investors who have been building an extended area on the back which will be used as a full warehouse until the main bit is gutted and rebuilt with new lines.

The job itself was a bit shit in all honesty but I got on with my colleagues and the manager, we were not a big team (only 4 of us) the hours were pretty good and it was a pretty easy place to work in. This is something I will lose now as I know its hard to find that right balance.

Are you within commuting distance of willenhall?

@Trigger: It seems the older I get, the more friends I hear of with cancer, or their friends dying of cancer. It's rather too sobering at times, it reminds me just how many friends I've lost over the years to cancer and other things.

This is petty, but Johny 1 Post getting that BL steering wheel hub. That's grumped me right off. Never mind, I'll just have to put a tiny guppy tank in the steering wheel boss or something instead.

@Trigger: It seems the older I get, the more friends I hear of with cancer, or their friends dying of cancer. It's rather too sobering at times, it reminds me just how many friends I've lost over the years to cancer and other things.

This is petty, but Johny 1 Post getting that BL steering wheel hub. That's grumped me right off. Never mind, I'll just have to put a tiny guppy tank in the steering wheel boss or something instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR7-Astrali-Steering-Wheel-Boss-NOS-/251223971126?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7e1d9536

Any good? I think the bloke may have posted the pic the wrong way round. The underside looks similar.

OK, am I being the unreasonable one here?

I'm having a clear out and have merrily spammed my local freecycle group with some stuff - all clean/usable/far too good to chuck, some of it even saleable except I cba. So Freecycle, that'll be easy right? The adverts only went up in the last hour and I've been storing some of that random crap for years, I can wait ;P - but have already had:

"Have you got a picture?" No, I am not making an effort to upload a picture because IT'S FREE. Take it or don't.

"Can I come and have a look?" No. IT'S FREE. Take it or don't, don't waste my time "looking".

"Will you deliver?" No. IT'S FREE. My diesel isn't.

I haven't made any of those responses, I'm ignoring them in favour of waiting for people who understand how FREE stuff works,

But FFS ... So much for that being less effort than e-bay.

Put my mate's ma-in-law's mobility scooter on Gumtree for £250 ono. Been on all of about 5 minutes and got an e-mail:

'Hi, I can offer you £100 for mobility scooter'

:roll:

A couple of minor grumps.

First off I was all for buying that high mileage e39 530i that was an the ebay thread a while back. I e-mailed the guy and said I was short on time as I was away from Thursday if he brought it to my work I'd give him the asking price if it checked out. He then replied saying he'd think about it but the price went up 100. I said not to bother but if he still had it when I came back in a week I'd be interested in it for the original lower asking price and I'd come up and see it myself. He replied saying he'd give it to me for the original asking price if I took it today. Okay I said, if you bring it over I'll give you a run home, to the train station or what ever. Silence

Maybe he thought I was going to rob him or something. Understandable I suppose and I'm partly to blame for trying to put the deal together when I didn't have much time. I really fancied having a 530 to scoot about in too when I hear the good things Tayne has to say about his 330 on here.

Secondly I bought a rocket cover gasket for the Puma. I planned to fit it tonight and get it mot'd while I was away but the gasket's about 1/4 a cm too wee and pulls out one end as you try to fit the other end into the rocket cover. Possibly putting it in hot water would have done it but I don't have any down there. I tried to fix it in with a little instant gasket but that made it worse. I ran out of time so it's just going to have to wait.

Don't take this the wrong way, Glen, but I always give people a swerve when they ask me to bring a car to them before they've paid for it. It was from bitter experience many years back from a couple of chancers who tried to chip me down (by quite an amount) on each occasion, and I expect many sellers are wary for this and other reasons.

Like I say no offence, just saying it how I see it!

I'd add with the huge rims on that, coupled to the mileage I'd say the wishbones were probably shot. Hence the lack of interest in a proper test drive/run home. I say this as the owner of a sorned 199k E39. Forget the engine size, just go for high quality tyres and a feeling of tightness - mileage is irrelevant. Having a had use of a few the 16"/55 series wheel combo is the best. But tyres are a huge factor, as is 4 wheel alignment. Ive sat on mine for 18 months, I can't part with it (had it since 2005). That probably isn't helping your lust is it :oops::D

I wouldnt get out of bed for a 'buyer' unless he'd paid a deposit by gaypal or summery, you just know you're gonna get to the delivery spot and find he's not there and his phone is switched off like a bastard. Not saying you'd to that of course Cort15 but most folk who want a cheap old car delivered defo would! I reckon anyway.

Aye I know what you mean. That wasn't my intention though. If he'd just said no I'd have said fair enough if you've still got it when I come back I'll come up and have a look.

The car had standard e39 m parallels on it so they weren't huge after market ones. It had full BMW service history apparently but had changed hand a few times last year. I thought it was worth the risk at the price though. I've had a couple of e39s but both have been 520's the true performance successor to the e34 518i.

+1 on not taking a car to a buyer.

+1 on old BMWs. Posh models only, no povvo here.

+1 on saying NO to stupid wheels. I don't mind swapping them around (I prefer to stick to OE wheels) but I'd never put a car on rims that give it less sidewall than it left the factory with. My 330 on factory 18s (35 profile on the back) rides better than Audi did on 17s with a 50 profile (15" wheels from new).

I didn't see that e39 but if it was an SE then it SHOULD have small wheels.

Another part of my central heating system has broken :(

The three way valve went a while back so I have to have the water & heating on at the same time. Now the pump that feeds the shower over the bath has gone, so I have plenty hot water but can't use the shower ... Fucksticks.

I was going to replace the whole system this summer, but I suppose I'd better start thinking about it sooner .... I really need to think about shifting some motors asap to fund the new boiler as I don't want to spend money on a system I'm looking to replace.

I don't suppose there's any central heating engineers on here that fancy a bit of work either patching the current system cheaply or fitting a new one for a reasonable rate?

iTunes. Surely designed to conflict with Windows. The latest version is almost unusable on Windows 7, is the only program I've come across yet that can freeze the system and is by far the most resource hungry piece of software I have. PIECE OF SHIT THAT GETS WORSE WITH EVERY UPDATE.

iTunes. Surely designed to conflict with Windows. The latest version is almost unusable on Windows 7, is the only program I've come across yet that can freeze the system and is by far the most resource hungry piece of software I have. PIECE OF SHIT THAT GETS WORSE WITH EVERY UPDATE.

+1 on that, I get the feeling that although it is compatible with windows its really only suitable for Mac users with their well known lust for bonkers amounts of RAM

Don't use iTunes, it's as simple as that!

RE: taking a car to a buyer - I've only done it once, but it was no hassle. The buyer was a plumber in Leeds whose van had stopped working so needed transport pronto. I turned up with the car, he took it for a spin around the block and stumped up the asking price, no hassles.