The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I have generally found that the more serious a Christian takes their religion, the less they behave in a 'Christian' manner.

Here's a true story. Stop me if you've heard it before.

I own an old Hitachi "music centre" with flywheel tuning and quite a sensitive AM section. One day about fifteen years ago I twiddled the knob so it was just outside the calibrated scale on the dial, and heard voices. Turned out that I was recieving transmissions from local cordless 'phones (pre DECT digital coding).

I used to tune in fairly regularly if I was bored. It was usually the standard little old lady stuff, but once I caught half of a conversation that suddelnly pricked my ears up; the lady concerned was talking to her friend about the affair she was having and that she was dead worried about hubby finding out. The conversation went on for a few minutes until ending with "see you in church".

When asked to comment on religion/sectarianism where I used to live in Scotland, I always used to say that there were a lot of Protestants, a lot of Catholics, and in amongst them you'll find a few Christians! This viewpoint was not always met with approval nor understanding, but there you go...

I'm going to use the example of Christianity here as it's the religion I have most experience and knowledge of, but I suspect that you can probably substitute any religion into the following sentences.

As far as I see it, there are lots of church-goers; some church-goers are Christians, but there are a lot of church-goers who turn up looking fine in their Sunday Best, spouting platitudes and nodding and making the appropriate noises at whatever the minister/vicar says, thinking that what they are doing is being a good Christian but all they are doing - perhaps without being aware of this - is using it as a networking opportunity and to make sure their image is correct and that their standing within the community is maintained or improved. Then there are the Christians who are too busy trying to help those who need help that they don't have time to make it to church to "show their face for appearances' sake".

I have no faith nor religion, but I've never failed to be impressed by any genuine Christians that I meet, I know a few and admire the way they try to live their lives, the way they behave and they way they behave to other people, especially those who are in need of help. At least one of these Christians that I know has missed midnight service at Christmas for at least 4 years because they are too busy helping people who are less fortunate than she is. Chapeau, as the French would say.

If everyone who "say" they are religious behaved with one tenth of the conviction and dignity of these people, the world would be a far better place.

The best Christians really surprised you when you find out they are one. The bad ones leave you in no doubt that they are one.

Anyway, I'm grumpy because my income is going entirely the wrong way. I'm starting to suspect that George Osborne is in charge of it and has personally enforced some austerity on me so he can afford to eat more Lesser Spotted Swan. 2013 is currently looking very grim. Who would have thought that both of us packing in our jobs and running away to the countryside, relying on one, extremely risky and feeble income could possibly go wrong? It's times like this that you look at cat food and think "Right, you can start catching your own bloody food, like cats used to do before cat food was invented."

Bah humbug.

5568768572_812503cf6b_z.jpg

Austin A55 by graham.l.edwards, on Flickr

Saw this in the abandoned thread on Retrorides, exactly the same model as the one I'm restoring, with the solid doors and front wings I need, plus the front and rear screens, towbar and potentially loads of other bits (seats and doorcards if they're any good, bonnet maybe).

Emailed the guy who posted the pictures up asking for the location of the scrapyard and he sent this reponse back today:

'Hi Richard

Sorry but they will not sell anything of the car as the yards owners are going to banger race it - its a shame as it didnt look too bad from the quick look I had.

Graham'.

Annoying as it looks much better than the car I'm restoring. If anyone knows of a 'long boot' A55 MK1 Cambridge breaking, please let me know.

This any use to you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-A40-Ca ... SS:GB:1123

$T2eC16V,!y0E9s2S640GBQt89DWliw~~60_58.JPG

Cars

My merc has a slow puncture, all the local places shuts at 1 on a Saturday (why??) so had to take it to kwik fit who now charge 23 quid to fix a puncture!

I'd tell them to stick it up their arse but I'm flying to Poland on Monday for 3 days and don't fancy coming back to a flat tyre.

Also

my tr7 is fucked

I can't get the arch on the Puma straight and too bloody cold in the lockup.

The SD1's starting making an odd metallic noise at the back and driving it in the cold reminds me the heater doesn't work.

Pissed off of Scotland.

Cars

Yeah....How come simple jobs on cars are no longer simple?

Two examples in the past week:

A headlamp bulb on the Getz....You need either tiny girl hands, or six inch long fingers to get in there and unclip the bloody thing....Clipping the new one back in took about ten minutes, and involved the use of many, many swearwords....Some of which I think I made up! :lol:

Wiperblades on the C5....You can't lift the arm far enough away from the screen to remove the blade with the bonnet open OR closed....The only thing I can think of to do, is undo the arms, and either move them round on the spindles a bit, or remove them altogether, but they seem to be seized on.....GRRRRR!!!! As it is, I'm not really happy with the quality of the Ebay special blades that I have, so I've applied liberal quantities of WD40 in the hope that they free up for when I get some decent blades to go on there!

It was the same with my '55 plate Megane....Headlamp bulb replacement was REALLY fiddly....And this is for someone who used to work on cars for a living....What the hell is going on? :x

my laptop is furkled :(

turn it on and nothing happens, no screen, no processing light flickering nothing. Tried a few online solutions and it seems the onboard graphics card is buggered - 150 quid for replacement :roll:

bollocks :evil:

and, while im moaning - all these best worst first last threads - WTF? how about some real old car content please

Headlamp bulbs on moderns are the work of Oul Nick. Replaced yet another one on my pal's C-Max yesterday afternoon, and it was a bit of a pain, but not too bad. Then replaced one on whatever E number a current 3 Series is for the Egyptian man that lives next door. That BM must have been designed by a blind moron on Krokodil.*

*don't google Krokodil if you're squeamish.

C5 wiper blades are easy when you know how. Switch ignition off, switch wipers on and they park in the service position.

Ref c5 wiper blades. With key in ignition mode, flick the wiper stalk. The wipers should stop at the "service position" allowing change of blades.

That's why I love this forum/forums in general....Always someone with the answer! :D

Thanks chaps! :wink:

It had me tearing my hair out too, until I found the answer on another forum.

When you have to change a headlamp bulb, and C5s eat them so it won't be long, my advice is not to even try and do them in situ (although the passenger side isn't too bad if you remove the battery). It's not that hard to release one side of the bumper and undo the three bolts that hold the headlamp unit in.

It had me tearing my hair out too, until I found the answer on another forum.

When you have to change a headlamp bulb, and C5s eat them so it won't be long, my advice is not to even try and do them in situ (although the passenger side isn't too bad if you remove the battery). It's not that hard to release one side of the bumper and undo the three bolts that hold the headlamp unit in.

Ahh....Something else to look forward to then! :roll:

Thanks for the advice! :wink:

Regarding that A55 that the owner won't sell any bits from, surely as a banger racer he won't mind if you replace the parts you want to buy with your rusty originals? Things like glass and trim i'm sure he'l be only too eager to sell.

Deffo worth getting in touch. As has been mentioned, most banger racers are classic car fans too.

Been to London and back today. The standard of driving on motorways these days seriously appalls me. People really do think they are 'the one' as in; everyone should get out of thier way because they are something big, fast, new and (often) German. What the hell is all this about? And why is it when you pass someone in your old car and hold your speed, they feel the need to get in front of you like thier life depends on it? The roads of choc-full of absolute fucking megalomaniacs.

Also, why cant people keep a set speed? On a long journey my right leg gets a bit tired being fixed in one position so I'll set cruise control, this great so I can rest my leg, but a problem when you come up against cars that either go too slow and then suddenly speed up. I cant rest in one lane and let the car cruise.

Anyway, apart from that, I had a pretty good time, I managed to pass the very house where my car was bought from originally by Brad as it originated in Chertsey from new.

my laptop is furkled :(

turn it on and nothing happens, no screen, no processing light flickering nothing. Tried a few online solutions and it seems the onboard graphics card is buggered - 150 quid for replacement :roll:

bollocks :evil:

and, while im moaning - all these best worst first last threads - WTF? how about some real old car content please

Make and model of laptop A5? There's a few wee tricks you can try, the simplest of which is to remove the battery, remove the power cable, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Leaving the battery out, plug in the power adapter and see if it starts up.