The grumpy thread

outlaw118

9 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Yes, glorious Grimsby 😆

I'm going to speak to my team leader on Friday, see what he says.

We do have access to better masks.

Ask to see the material safety data sheets provided by the manufacturer. 

Scratch that. Obtain them yourself. Probably you will be able to down load off interweb. If not there should be a phone number on the container and the supplier should be able to email it to you. 

This should tell you everything you need to know about handling it. 

Then go back and ask for the MSD and ask to see the COSHH assessment.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/nanotechnology/coshh.htm#:~:text=COSHH is the law that,to health (risk assessment)%3B

If they haven't got both or either you need to question if they give a stuff. And let hse know. 

1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

Excuse my ignorance but I realise I've never known this - what is the purpose of talc in the household?

My family never used it so I've never really known.

I've seen people in films sprinkle it on themselves after a shower, but for what reason?

I think it's like a "smoothing" thing, anti chafe. Plus most are perfumed, so you don't stink.

Johnson & Johnson will end global sales of baby powder containing the mineral talc in 2023, switching to a formulation based on corn starch.

The company is facing over 40 000 lawsuits in the US alleging that baby powder contaminated with asbestos caused ovarian cancer or mesothelioma. But Johnson & Johnson did not attribute the switch to that controversy, calling it a “commercial decision” that “will help simplify our product offerings, deliver sustainable innovation, and meet the needs of our consumers, customers, and evolving global trends.”

“Corn starch based Johnson’s Baby Powder is already sold in countries around the world,” the company said in a statement announcing the change. “Our position on the safety of our cosmetic talc remains unchanged,” the statement continued. “We stand firmly behind the decades of independent scientific analysis by medical experts around the world that …

From the BMJ

My ex-DIL is fairly high up in J&J.

2 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Excuse my ignorance but I realise I've never known this - what is the purpose of talc in the household?

My family never used it so I've never really known.

I've seen people in films sprinkle it on themselves after a shower, but for what reason?

Nans the world over used to douse babies and children in it.  My wife's nan used so much on herself that the bathroom floor was a slip hazard. It does make your skin feel soft. 

Talc has a drying effect too - as a kid I was told to use it on my feet after getting showered to avoid athletes' foot.

I used to keep a container of it in my gym bag, as a puff or two after towelling myself off post-shower did make me feel a bit less clammy before wriggling into my clothes.

That said, I only finished the container (purchased in 1996) a few weeks ago, so I'm not overly concerned that I've exposed myself to lethal levels of asbestos over the past 27 years...

On 6/7/2023 at 9:27 AM, calebaaront said:

Not an awful place to have a breakdown. Suspected dirt in the carb.

IMG_20230606_214726_010.jpg

Were you at the RR Weekender?  Think we may have met briefly unless there's another Trabi with a DDR plate.  Which there could well be I suppose...

Massive big order going out from my company, 53x control units. Months and months of work.

Sent them on a pallet, paid £100 extra to get it insured because the total value is £17k. Shitting myself about sending it out because we really can't afford to lose that!

Pallet was collected at about 1PM.

Two hours later, I get an email 

Unfortunately, LCD Screens, due to their fragile nature, fall under our restricted items list and are something we cannot insure. We can carry out the shipment, just not insure it I’m afraid. Alternatively, there are freight insurance companies that can cover this type of goods, however, ours cannot.

If you have further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Have a lovely day!

Alexandra

Thanks for letting me know Alexandra! Have a lovely day too! It's only a few hours fucking late!

So now I've got seventeen flipping grands worth of stuff being ferried across the country without insurance and my arse will be going like a rabbits nose for 24-48 hours.

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

Massive big order going out from my company, 53x control units. Months and months of work.

Sent them on a pallet, paid £100 extra to get it insured because the total value is £17k. Shitting myself about sending it out because we really can't afford to lose that!

Thanks for letting me know Alexandra! Have a lovely day too! It's only a few hours fucking late!

So now I've got seventeen flipping grands worth of stuff being ferried across the country without insurance and my arse will be going like a rabbits nose for 24-48 hours.

It's almost impossible to believe that someone as stupid as Alexandra is allowed out. The initial foul up is bad enough, but to put "Have a lovely day"........

3 hours ago, cobblers said:

I'd have driven it myself, after all that effort. Or used @Popsicle

15 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I'd have driven it myself, after all that effort. Or used @Popsicle

I don't have good in transit cover myself (my van is a transporter not a transit, hohohoho😅) so I can't really deliver stuff. It was a bit last minute.

My fault for describing them as "LCD Control panels" rather than just "control panel" really!

Attended the local two wheeled emporium to get oil for the bike.

I only ever get parts from here - myself and a few others I know have been on the receiving end of their hamfistedness - duplo would probably be out of their comfort zone.

I hadn't been for a few years. Only one person in at a time - rona restrictions still appear to be in place. Somebody already in there and no sign of staff. So I waited outside for a bit then left.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, horriblemercedes said:

I know that, but for what purpose? Just to make skin feel soft?

Not sure you can relate, but here goes: you know how in summer, when it's 40 degrees in the shade and you wear shorts and t-shirts your thighs and upper arms develop a reddish rash from chaffing against each other/against the torso or against sweated clothes? Talcum powder takes care of that either by preventing it if you apply it before, or by soothing it and allowing to heal if you apply it after.

1 minute ago, TataBobu said:

Not sure you can relate, but here goes: you know how in summer, when it's 40 degrees in the shade and you wear shorts and t-shirts your thighs and upper arms develop a reddish rash from chaffing against each other/against the torso or against sweated clothes? Talcum powder takes care of that either by preventing it if you apply it before, or by soothing it and allowing to heal if you apply it after.

Ah ok, yes, I have had that.

Not sure I can relate? Do you think I'm the Duke of York or something? ;)

I see I made it sound worse than it is: just in the city center (București), full of concrete and with high buildings blocking any breeze, and almost each year there is a day or two when you'll see the street thermometers displaying 40 degrees at 10 PM. Usually it's just around 30.

Was on the road yesterday evening, just coming up to cross the intersection by the bridge. I've got the green (it had been on for a while at that point) and a guy in a modern Jeep runs the red light in front of me.

Needless to say, my brakes were tested and thankfully proved to be good.

Comedy nosedive, screeching tires and a cloud of smoke. Luckily I came to a halt before I got to his path. 

I think he made the assumption that the green on the other side of the bridge he had just gone through (fast) applied to the intersection on the other side, which it does not.

Narrow escape, glad I was paying attention.

2 hours ago, PhilA said:

Was on the road yesterday evening, just coming up to cross the intersection by the bridge. I've got the green (it had been on for a while at that point) and a guy in a modern Jeep runs the red light in front of me.

That sort of thing seems to be a running theame when you watch dash-cam footage from the USA. 

5 hours ago, cobblers said:

I don't have good in transit cover myself (my van is a transporter not a transit, hohohoho😅) so I can't really deliver stuff. It was a bit last minute.

My fault for describing them as "LCD Control panels" rather than just "control panel" really!

Insurance is a bit of a con in the transport industry, everything you try to claim on has an exemption, if you are fortunate to have a claim agreed standard haulage rates is around £1.30 per kilo, so unless you have tonnes of worthless shit being transported you will be out of pocket.

Ask for a refund of the insurance premium paid, they should give it back without any hassle.

My own £15k of goods in transit cover is fucking useless, but we have to have it to trade, everybody in the game knows you've very little chance of making a successful claim from it.

I presume you've wrapped the panels up well and protected them the best you can? If so it should be fine although from the 24/48 hour wait I assume you've used a delivery network rather than a dedicated same day van? The same day van will cost more but there is less chance of damage as there is only the lift on and lift off, no fucking about with hectic hubs and stressed fork lift drivers.

Drop me a PM if you ever need something like that shipping again, I'm always happy to help out a fellow shiter.

Attempted to use this thing.  Useless, uncomfortable, cannot recommend.

IMAG7043.thumb.jpg.ead55f405d990b46e390b6f7249012a4.jpg

All I've ended up with is a tailgate surround with loads of bits of glass stuck to the flange I need to salvage to repair the tailgate on the car and a bucket full of redneck diamonds.

IMAG7045.thumb.jpg.17761ab2d56685469074130d7776baa2.jpg

IMAG7044.thumb.jpg.a9244533b9aaf0022ae04e5e592e2cee.jpg

Any ideas on how to safely remove the broken glass from the tailgate?  Because short of grinding it off and doubling up on eye protection, I don't know what to do about this.

On 6/8/2023 at 5:34 PM, cobblers said:

I'd say that as the email arrived well after dispatch they're on the hook for it regardless of their boilerplate, unless you've been subject to the boilerplate before and could be expected to know it.

6 hours ago, TataBobu said:

I have had need of it in the past; when in the tropics or if the engine room fans have gone on the fritz and I'm sweating my arse off in proban slaving over a red hot diesel the size of a house chafe can be an issue and talc offers some relief.

15 hours ago, vulgalour said:

of grinding it off and doubling up on eye protection, I don't know what to do about this.

I take it it is bonded in...... I ended up with welding gloves and a Stanley cutting inside edge as much as possible and then a screwdriver to get the chunks off. 

Still needed a clean up with a cup brush after that - but it was only residue..... 

Long laborious and exponentially annoying job. 

20 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

I take it it is bonded in...... I ended up with welding gloves and a Stanley cutting inside edge as much as possible and then a screwdriver to get the chunks off. 

Still needed a clean up with a cup brush after that - but it was only residue..... 

Long laborious and exponentially annoying job. 

Well, boo.  Boo and a side order of bums.