The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, New POD said:

You fitted that kitchen in 1986. 

You'd have thought it would last longer.  

Just had to try some "seek n seal" on the joint to stop it weeping , they don't make this fancy plastic pipe stuff to last ...

10 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

hasn't the toyoyo got a she-wee for this very purpose?

If it ever did, it appears to be long gone - just like the parcel shelf, the lid of the dash cubby, the wheelbrace, the handbooks...

I'm not even convinced Redex is all that useful - but my grandfather swore by it for his assorted end-of-life Austins and Morrises, so every now and then when it's on special offer in Tesco I impulsively buy a bottle for £2 or whatever.

But it was absolutely fine going into the Corolla's filler neck up until the latest bottle redesign.

11 hours ago, Wack said:

Doesn't this piss you off , mini stolen , spotted on a trailer , police not interested despite it looking like the vehicle towing it is legit

Screenshot_20230523-225029.thumb.png.07b8aeca85465e7da7604d7371a413cf.pngScreenshot_20230523-225103.thumb.png.f05fcc1e14c72f311d7b2411f9262c84.png

Screenshot_20230523-225124.thumb.png.48d3062b1cfabc0df614b75b787ce85a.png

I was reading about that on Twitter. The part which doesn't quite stack up is that the Shogun was followed into the services by someone who red flagged it, yet they decided not to follow as it left? 

5 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I was reading about that on Twitter. The part which doesn't quite stack up is that the Shogun was followed into the services by someone who red flagged it, yet they decided not to follow as it left? 

Perhaps they had somewhere else they needed to be, rather than spending all day playing vigilante.

56 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Perhaps they had somewhere else they needed to be, rather than spending all day playing vigilante.

Apparently not. 

Screenshot_20230524_113831_Twitter.thumb.jpg.712a94f0f30c4ce81809529500056a0c.jpg

25 minutes ago, loserone said:

I've read in some places that the shogun / mini are legit and a different car, but also that the police are still looking for the shogun.  

I think there was some confusion about the badges on the bottom of the Mini's rear doors. However, the owner is confident it's her car as she recently added badges in the same place as those shown on the Mini on the trailer.

50 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Apparently not. 

Screenshot_20230524_113831_Twitter.thumb.jpg.712a94f0f30c4ce81809529500056a0c.jpg

I think there was some confusion about the badges on the bottom of the Mini's rear doors. However, the owner is confident it's her car as she recently added badges in the same place as those shown on the Mini on the trailer.

I think the car has been(badly) disguised for transport , nobody trailering their pride and joy puts a cover over the paint to flap about in the wind and ratchet straps it across the bonnet

The Lanchester is testing my patience once more with the wiring.  The semaphores decided to stop working for no reason, the horns too, the wiring to both of them doesn't want to work either for no reason.  Today I've just been chasing my tail trying and failing to fault find this.

I'm not looking for advice, just a little vent.  If anyone knows, or is, an auto-electrician who would be willing to come out to the car to try and sort it out please get in touch (not as a freebie, we're willing to pay for work done providing we've the budget).  I reckon it's time to hand this part of the job over to someone who knows what they're doing, I can then focus on all the other stuff that I'm actually competent at.

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

The Lanchester is testing my patience once more with the wiring.  The semaphores decided to stop working for no reason, the horns too, the wiring to both of them doesn't want to work either for no reason.  Today I've just been chasing my tail trying and failing to fault find this.

I'm not looking for advice, just a little vent.  If anyone knows, or is, an auto-electrician who would be willing to come out to the car to try and sort it out please get in touch (not as a freebie, we're willing to pay for work done providing we've the budget).  I reckon it's time to hand this part of the job over to someone who knows what they're doing, I can then focus on all the other stuff that I'm actually competent at.

These people might be able to help,i am not sure if they offer a mobile service though--http://www.auto-electrics-kent.co.uk/services/classic-car-electrics.html

On 5/23/2023 at 12:22 PM, wuvvum said:

There were a couple of those performing some (very noisy) high alpha manoeuvres over my house at the weekend.  I stopped and watched them for a while, was quite impressive to see.

We were visiting the in laws up near Heacham last week and there were a couple of what I think we're Eurofighters having a dogfight over us there. They were very high up but it was still bloody loud. Do you think they are practising for anything in particular? 

20 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

You mean was one of them pretending to be a Sukhoi?

Well it was only last week the Americans agreed to let other countries lend Ukraine their F16s. The Ukrainian pilots have to be trained somewhere. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. I'm sure they do these exercises all the time. I don't live in Norfolk so I wouldn't know. 

Oh this is really fucking helpful and has made my evening. Just what I needed. One of the nose pads have just snapped off my glasses... 

Fuck sake

Might as well get an eye test and new frame/lenses while I'm at it.. last year's test didn't warrant a change of prescription but I might as well get a new frame now. As if I could have done with that expense 🙄

21 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Oh this is really fucking helpful and has made my evening. Just what I needed. One of the nose pads have just snapped off my glasses... 

Fuck sake

Might as well get an eye test and new frame/lenses while I'm at it.. last year's test didn't warrant a change of prescription but I might as well get a new frame now. As if I could have done with that expense 🙄

Take your glasses in to the opticians and they'll fit you a new nose pad for free, no expense needed, I did it yesterday.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:43 PM, myglaren said:

Went in (late, of course) and had to make a rapid exit, poison gas, aka perfume.

Stood outside coughing for ten minutes.  Nurse came out with offers of water and such.  Tried again but with an activated charcoal mask.  Registered and stood in a queue but the mask overwhelmed by perfume again.  Another session outside and the nurse took me in the back way to a pong-free room where the jab was administered.  Sat in the now pongless waiting area for fifteen minutes and a huge bang and commotion outside, most of the medical and admin staff rushed out to see what was up.  Bloke had a bit of a turn and crashed into a taxi.  He was brought in and seen to.

I have the problem with perfume. Bleach and other things too.  Those  plugs with perfume in are very bad.

Breathing  like yours  and upset stomach and $hits for days sometimes

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Fuck sake

How old is the frame, if an arm snapped during normal use?

5 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

How old is the frame, if an arm snapped during normal use?

Just shy of 2 years 🤔 definitely worth asking the question but they'll probably say it's reasonable for them to last 2 years. They were only the cheapy ones as well, not designer or anything. The price is in the lenses though! 

34 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

My last Asda ones still intact after 5 years. Just got new dearer, more complicated prescription ones. Take them back, talk consumer rights bollocks

I'll send in the 'don't get done get Dom' brigade while I'm at it 😉😆

9 hours ago, Yoss said:

We were visiting the in laws up near Heacham last week and there were a couple of what I think we're Eurofighters having a dogfight over us there. They were very high up but it was still bloody loud. Do you think they are practising for anything in particular? 

World War 3 

Won't be long now. 

Nipped down to the co op this morning and swung into the car park to be met by a Fiesta coming out through the in road.  Chap insisted it was my fault for driving too fast rather than his for going the wrong way and ignoring the no exit signs. I was just about to drag him from his car and kick him to death, when I remembered I had to buy some chutney for this afternoon's party.

31 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Nipped down to the co op this morning and swung into the car park to be met by a Fiesta coming out through the in road.  Chap insisted it was my fault for driving too fast rather than his for going the wrong way and ignoring the no exit signs. I was just about to drag him from his car and kick him to death, when I remembered I had to buy some chutney for this afternoon's party.

Does one event preclude the other?😂

What is it with women in their 30s. In my teens ot 20s if you didn't fancy someone you told them, harsh words were sometimes exchanged and you went your separate ways. Now lasses im my demographic ask me to reconsider the decision  and question the validity of my decision making process.  Since when has that been acceptable to pressurise or manipulate people into a relationship.  Maybe I'm not being clear enough, but I thought "I don't fancy you" was pretty damn unambiguous.  What's next? Tell her I don't fancy a sack of spuds.

4 minutes ago, Skut said:

What is it with women in their 30s. In my teens ot 20s if you didn't fancy someone you told them, harsh words were sometimes exchanged and you went your separate ways. Now lasses im my demographic ask me to reconsider the decision  and question the validity of my decision making process.  Since when has that been acceptable to pressurise or manipulate people into a relationship.  Maybe I'm not being clear enough, but I thought "I don't fancy you" was pretty damn unambiguous.  What's next? Tell her I don't find a sack of spuds attractive.

Just show them you’re a member on this site…. Should do the trick…..

What is it with women in their 30s. In my teens ot 20s if you didn't fancy someone you told them, harsh words were sometimes exchanged and you went your separate ways. Now lasses im my demographic ask me to reconsider the decision  and question the validity of my decision making process.  Since when has that been acceptable to pressurise or manipulate people into a relationship.  Maybe I'm not being clear enough, but I thought "I don't fancy you" was pretty damn unambiguous.  What's next? Tell her I don't find a sack of spuds attractive.
First-world problems