The grumpy thread

outlaw118

27 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

That tube coming in from the right on the 2nd pic - maybe from the overflow? - doesn't look terribly secure, are you certain it's OK?

its been like that for 30 years or more , it used to be a corrugated plastic pipe which leaked at the joints , then one day this washing machine expired ....

1 hour ago, iainrcz said:

I've just had to break in to my own house because dick head locked her keys in.

20230523_191150.jpg

Questions are: 1) is  who was the dickhead who installed the type of lock which allows the door to be shut then locked. Or  2) who is the dickhead who may not have installed that lock but kept using it instead of changing to one that you had to put a key in to lock the door?

The bright side  of this is you can now see just how easy it is to break into your house. Time to up the security.

Shouldn't have released the car to the recovery twits, no need if the car is mobile and roadworthy; go and get it back, gaffer tape over the broken glass and she can drive it to work until the assessor decides to do their bloody job.

1 hour ago, Markeh said:

To follow up on this - they've not even attempted to pick it up today. The reason the garage can't fetch it themselves is because its in a yard that can be no more than a mile into a different postcode. The breakdown company that can move it naturally won't prioritise it (think a certain coloured flag), Utter pisstake. So that's her stuck here til next week probably and my weekend plans probably cancelled. Not like I wanted to do things this weekend - oh wait - it's a Bank Holiday I'd booked off, my birthday and we also have family visiting too.

Sigh. 

6 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Shouldn't have released the car to the recovery twits, no need if the car is mobile and roadworthy; go and get it back, gaffer tape over the broken glass and she can drive it to work until the assessor decides to do their bloody job.

I've told her to do this - think she's going to try tomorrow. To be honest I told her to tell them to shove it and just buy the door I saw on Ebay in colour with a window for £150!

I've also suggested she just take the car to the bloody garage itself (cars not even at the garage it's meant to be assessed at yet!) given its an hour up the road. FWIW the garage it's going to have been helpful. It's the other links in the chain that are worse than useless.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Questions are: 1) is  who was the dickhead who installed the type of lock which allows the door to be shut then locked. Or  2) who is the dickhead who may not have installed that lock but kept using it instead of changing to one that you had to put a key in to lock the door?

The bright side  of this is you can now see just how easy it is to break into your house. Time to up the security.

That's the inner door and it has another more conventional handle and lock.

It came with the Yale type lock and has a huge hole in the frame behind it, so we left it. Thing is, it's normally left in the unlocked position all day, I'm not sure why she clicked the lock back. We only lock it at night.

In today's episode of "jobs you wish you'd never started", I failed to change the rear strut on the MG this evening.  I went out all motivated to get it finished, but just as I got the top retaining nut most of the way undone, the Allen socket in the top of the strut rounded out, so now the strut just spins and I can neither get the nut off nor tighten it back up.

Because it's an MG TF and thus an absolute twat to work on anything in the engine bay, I can't get a hacksaw or a grinder in there to cut the nut (or indeed the top of the strut) off.  I might just about be able to wangle a nut splitter in there, but I need to order one as my existing one is knackered.

So that's the car immobilised, again.  Still, at least the family of smoll spiders who have taken up residence between the front wing and the wheel will be left undisturbed for a little bit longer...

20230523_195155.thumb.jpg.8124e30924da8c1f78f1e0559b048ab8.jpg

Pretty sure I drove through a speed trap on the A23 whilst travelling at around 90mph… my fault entirely but still sucks to be spending the next couple of weeks waiting for a letter.

I swear I’ve not had as many run ins with speed traps in anything as much as that bloody Honda Insight, a 1 litre engine is obviously far too powerful for me to be trusted with.

9 hours ago, Markeh said:

I'm now stuck with her in my spare room and taking her to work and back every day until they provide transport (I'm about half as far away from her work). Granted, she's covering my petrol and helping round the house.

A girl staying round your house who does some of the chores and owes you a favour or two? I’d be praying for the repair work to take as long as possible, sounds fantastic 🤣

5 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Pretty sure I drove through a speed trap on the A23 whilst travelling at around 90mph… my fault entirely but still sucks to be spending the next couple of weeks waiting for a letter.

I swear I’ve not had as many run ins with speed traps in anything as much as that bloody Honda Insight, a 1 litre engine is obviously far too powerful for me to be trusted with.

Far too many on the A23, they love sitting in so many different places it's impossible to keep track! 

[Don't speed kids 😆]

9 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Far too many on the A23, they love sitting in so many different places it's impossible to keep track! 

[Don't speed kids 😆]

They were sat on a bridge over the brow of a hill just past Pease Pottage. I’d been driving back from Cardiff and was rolling along behind some big Aldi SUV thing keeping pace with him… bearing in mind I meet a speed trap somewhere on the A23 almost every time I travel back from client visits you’d think I’d just drive the bloody speed limit there. I swear they never used to be so proactive at catching people speeding on that road, but lately they’ve been on it like shit on a blanket.

On 22/05/2023 at 16:09, Datsuncog said:

No idea why Redex decided to redesign their bottle, but the neck's now too short to push past the little valve on the Corolla's filler neck - so it all just floods out and pours down the side of the car.

1450623399_IMG_20230522_1406582.thumb.jpg.8063f3cf0d2d3a388b4f505587f5fa24.jpg

I had to use a lolly stick out of the bin to jam the flap open, then tip the remains down into the tank.

Last time I'm buying that, then.

hasn't the toyoyo got a she-wee for this very purpose?

32 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

[Don't speed kids 😆]

i don't think i've ever seen a speedtrap on the a23

mind you, the clio struggles beyond 75 anyway so it aint as if i can get done for owt anyway! (barring down handcross hill, which is a bit boring these days- bring back the copious danger)

16 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

They were sat on a bridge over the brow of a hill just past Pease Pottage. I’d been driving back from Cardiff and was rolling along behind some big Aldi SUV thing keeping pace with him… bearing in mind I meet a speed trap somewhere on the A23 almost every time I travel back from client visits you’d think I’d just drive the bloody speed limit there. I swear they never used to be so proactive at catching people speeding on that road, but lately they’ve been on it like shit on a blanket.

I think I know the one, handcross hill, the bridge just before the DVSA checkpoint on your right if you're heading southbound. Or there's one of the bridges by the cuckfield turn off they love sitting on.

And they like sitting at that BP station at Pyecombe where the pub is and the road sits back a bit, just out of immediate sight until it's too late...

Road safety and all that, but bastards 😆

1 minute ago, crad said:

i don't think i've ever seen a speedtrap on the a23

mind you, the clio struggles beyond 75 anyway so it aint as if i can get done for owt anyway! (barring down handcross hill, which is a bit boring these days- bring back the copious danger)

They're fuckin everywhere when they want to be. Have you not been on there much lately 😆

Just now, RoverFolkUs said:

They're fuckin everywhere when they want to be. Have you not been on there much lately 😆

not since i left uni to be fair, so about 9 months. I hardly go north of Horsham in the car at the moment 🤣.

1 minute ago, crad said:

(barring down handcross hill, which is a bit boring these days- bring back the copious danger)

I think that every time I drive down that stretch. The old 2 lane section with a double bend and trees down either side was far more exciting as a teenager with no sense of mortality.

11 hours ago, MikeR said:

its been like that for 30 years or more , it used to be a corrugated plastic pipe which leaked at the joints , then one day this washing machine expired ....

You fitted that kitchen in 1986. 

You'd have thought it would last longer.  

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I think I know the one, handcross hill, the bridge just before the DVSA checkpoint on your right if you're heading southbound. Or there's one of the bridges by the cuckfield turn off they love sitting on.

And they like sitting at that BP station at Pyecombe where the pub is and the road sits back a bit, just out of immediate sight until it's too late...

Road safety and all that, but bastards 😆

Heading southbound past the Handcross DVSA site on the other side, they park the van on the left side of the A23,  where the road climbs  back up the hill,  before where it goes to the cuckfield turn.  Basically getting speeders who wiz down the hill and come up the other side.

Last night they were on the bridge before the Bolney turn off (another favourite place), where they get people wizzing down that hill again. There's a slight curve in the road and they become visible with no chance of slowing down.

8 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I think that every time I drive down that stretch. The old 2 lane section with a double bend and trees down either side was far more exciting as a teenager with no sense of mortality.

I remember it well, was a far more engaging road to drive than it is now.

3 hours ago, New POD said:

You fitted that kitchen in 1986. 

You'd have thought it would last longer.  

Just had to try some "seek n seal" on the joint to stop it weeping , they don't make this fancy plastic pipe stuff to last ...

10 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

hasn't the toyoyo got a she-wee for this very purpose?

If it ever did, it appears to be long gone - just like the parcel shelf, the lid of the dash cubby, the wheelbrace, the handbooks...

I'm not even convinced Redex is all that useful - but my grandfather swore by it for his assorted end-of-life Austins and Morrises, so every now and then when it's on special offer in Tesco I impulsively buy a bottle for £2 or whatever.

But it was absolutely fine going into the Corolla's filler neck up until the latest bottle redesign.

11 hours ago, Wack said:

Doesn't this piss you off , mini stolen , spotted on a trailer , police not interested despite it looking like the vehicle towing it is legit

Screenshot_20230523-225029.thumb.png.07b8aeca85465e7da7604d7371a413cf.pngScreenshot_20230523-225103.thumb.png.f05fcc1e14c72f311d7b2411f9262c84.png

Screenshot_20230523-225124.thumb.png.48d3062b1cfabc0df614b75b787ce85a.png

I was reading about that on Twitter. The part which doesn't quite stack up is that the Shogun was followed into the services by someone who red flagged it, yet they decided not to follow as it left? 

5 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I was reading about that on Twitter. The part which doesn't quite stack up is that the Shogun was followed into the services by someone who red flagged it, yet they decided not to follow as it left? 

Perhaps they had somewhere else they needed to be, rather than spending all day playing vigilante.

56 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Perhaps they had somewhere else they needed to be, rather than spending all day playing vigilante.

Apparently not. 

Screenshot_20230524_113831_Twitter.thumb.jpg.712a94f0f30c4ce81809529500056a0c.jpg

25 minutes ago, loserone said:

I've read in some places that the shogun / mini are legit and a different car, but also that the police are still looking for the shogun.  

I think there was some confusion about the badges on the bottom of the Mini's rear doors. However, the owner is confident it's her car as she recently added badges in the same place as those shown on the Mini on the trailer.