The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

You'll need something that is able to communicate with SRS systems, I know iCarsoft do one for BMW and Mini that's under £100 - I've had their basic Merc one and it was good enough for the money in terms of reading and clearing SRS, ABS, gearbox faults etc.

We'll see how it goes.  I don't mind the BINI but it seems much more prone to these silly faults than my older Golf with 100K more on the clock.

Putting new tyres on the front has somewhat transformed the handling and the ride is much better too.  Thank God.  It was spine-breaking.

2 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Why’s everything such an ordeal these days? Went in Screwfix, very simple request, ‘do you have the product code?’, what’s your postcode, would you like to enter a raffle?

No, I’d just like the 1.5mm twin and earth clips I’ve asked for. 

It’s infuriating when you ask a basic stock query and they butt in with WHATS UR POSTCODE PLS.

Hence why I just click and collect on the touch screens when you walk in so I have as little interaction as possible with them

I bought, among other things, a large pair of steps.  They were a bit too big, couldn't stand them up.

Next time I was there I asked if they would swap them for smaller ones.

They looked for them and couldn't find them, until they discovered that I have two accounts.

Swapped them with no bother and they refunded the difference.

Rarely have anything other than first class service at Screwfix.

39 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

It’s infuriating when you ask a basic stock query and they butt in with WHATS UR POSTCODE PLS.

Hence why I just click and collect on the touch screens when you walk in so I have as little interaction as possible with them

I go into  Srewfix a lot for circus shite and I just tell them I don't have a post code or if I really want to screw them up I say which one? this weeks, last weeks or next weeks? 😁

6 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I just give them my Screwfix card with the QR code on for them to scan, saves all that hassle. Yes, it's for data, but my occasional purchases aren't going to give them much to go on.

I do if I just drop in but seemingly have a different account when ordering online.

4 minutes ago, myglaren said:

I do if I just drop in but seemingly have a different account when ordering online.

I'd explain that when next collecting something ordered online, see if they can sort it for you or do you a new card for your online a/c.

Just took us nearly two fscking hours to transfer between Heathrow terminals 3 and 4 because the trains have gone to hell - but nobody actually seems to know what's happening so we wound up getting directed around in circles.

Just what we wanted after an 8 hour overnight flight (with no entertainment as the screen was broken) when hauling around a 45kg case!

... Finally escaped the airport and have merged straight into a stationary queue on the M25.

I am officially done with this shit.

On 5/14/2023 at 2:34 PM, Bren said:

M56. Junctions 11 and 12. Avoid. Motorway is closed.

The area around Warrington looks like the end of the film deep impact.

A bridge on the A533 is being demolished this weekend. Given the length of time it has taken I assumed the bastard had been demolished last year. I have no idea why civil engineering projects can take so long in this country.

Anybody who lives or works in St Helens will know that the bull and dog roundabout looks like a branch of Huws Gray with little or nothing getting done on it.

The roads are becoming so bad I avoid driving if possible - even the thought of a blast on the bike does nothing for me any more.

I had to take a de-tour on Sunday as the exit I needed to take on the Bull & Dog roundabout was closed. It's a real mess isn't it!

RAC are going to get their membership cancelled. 

The Megane had a bit of a moment tonight. Turned it on, drove away probably a bit quick and half stalled it and got a emissions fault as a result. It went out. Popped 1/2 mile from train station and got into tescos. Turned it on and it’s done the classic ad blue FTP complaining that it’s got no ad blue and I can’t drive the car. Funny stuff as there’s usually a 700 mile warning for the adblue and it gets particularly irritating the further you drive it. No warning here. 

RAC are fucking about with their arrival times, keeps getting pushed back. I got half way to Oldham to get my own adblue to see if that fixes it and they said they’d be there in 15 minutes, catch a bus back to where said car is now stranded and they keep pushing the time out when it’s meant to arrive. 

I’ll be cancelling the membership when the time comes. Saving a 8 quid a month over the AA isn’t worth this kinda hassle. Even at the height of Covid I got the AA out on a manky December evening in 50 minutes. I’m here since 7 😔

9 hours ago, Spurious said:

I’ll be cancelling the membership when the time comes. Saving a 8 quid a month over the AA isn’t worth this kinda hassle. Even at the height of Covid I got the AA out on a manky December evening in 50 minutes. I’m here since 7 😔

Hope you got sorted.  Ridiculous that a car can be stranded by an AdBlue sensor of all things.

I know people rag on the AA at times but they've always been good with me.  I've had them out at least half a dozen times over the last few years, including when I got stuck at the bottom of a steep lane in the snow (I blame my partner's Dad for that one) and they've fully recovered me twice.  I think the longest I've ever had to wait was two hours.

5 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Making it snow what sort of father in law have you got 🙄🙄

They live up an isolated lane and said that it was 'fine'.  What we found out afterwards is that he hadn't been down the lane in three days...

To be fair, he is large with a white bushy beard and a jolly demeanour.

Put the disco in for new wiper motor & linkage fitting. Garage phones up mid afternoon, do I want the good or bad news?

Good is it's fitted. Bad is something's gone tits on the park and every activation it parks a little bit further up the screen. Do I want it back with the wipers (currently) at 45 degrees?

Let me think about it for a while. Er, no?

For additional fun I supplied the part, which has been in my to do list for 6 months so bugger all chance of sending it back. Er, as park switch is part of motor, can you stick the old motor on the new linkage? Yup.

Bonus points, went on bus to collect, and bus is stopped due to children* throwing rocks at it as it goes past.

18 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Summer approaching, so my a/c stops working. Hopefully just a refill (£60) but last time the system was leaking needing a new condenser and pipework, £350.

You don't need air-con, it is not that hot yet. Or is it so wet you need it to demist quickly?

I have found out this evening that one of my friends has got engaged and another one has got cancer.

I found out purely by chance through just happening to see Facebook statuses, as always - why can't my friends be arsed to tell me when things are going on in their lives?  I don't have time to sit endlessly reading through Facebook, I only find things out by pure chance any more.

I'm thinking of just ending interaction with everyone, cos clearly no fucker ever wants to talk to me.

The pub we've drunk in for 30+ years has been taken over by a new tenant and has  gone to shit. One barman to look after 10-12 people, last orders at 10pm on a Friday night, 5 mins to get served because the barman is chatting up a couple of girls, a group of what look like gypos and a general meh atmosphere. 

Went to another pub we've used a few times before - busy, customers served in rotation, remember your round and a friendly vibe. Our new go to pub for a catch up with the lads.

Goodbye old friend.

10 hours ago, Pieman said:

I have found out this evening that one of my friends has got engaged and another one has got cancer.

I found out purely by chance through just happening to see Facebook statuses, as always - why can't my friends be arsed to tell me when things are going on in their lives?  I don't have time to sit endlessly reading through Facebook, I only find things out by pure chance any more.

I'm thinking of just ending interaction with everyone, cos clearly no fucker ever wants to talk to me.

So did you phone them immediately you knew, to say, why the fuck didn't you phone me to tell me. I thought we were friends. 

I have no friends as I'm not on Facebook. 

Well I am but not actually connected to a single person.