The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Just seen another candidate for Co-op Funeral Care working on his car, sat on the trolley jack as he’s hammering the cunt out of something underneath. No stands or even wheel under the car...

People are stupid really, I've had cars slip off jacks before but I've always had at least another prop and a wheel underneath, I have a huge 3t trolley jack now and 4 stands but send anything that requires getting fully under the car to the mechanic with a lift.

Wasted 2 hours of my life removing/refitting the bastard front bumper all to try and update the front indicators to LED. Only to realise this takes some obscure HP24W bulb and not the PWY24W that was suggested on the bulb checker sites. What an absolute fucker this is. You can’t even reach up from the arch liner side, as there’s nothing to really grab onto properly at that angle. 

I think I’ve reordered the correct kind but just in case they’re not I’ll visit a dealer. Seems like a dealer only part although a couple of reseller types do sell them online. What a waste of time.

plus point is managed to fit the EGR blanking plate though so all isn’t lost.

9E46DD7D-D72C-4CED-A34E-202C9C020CCE.jpeg

it's a bit sunny now, so every single fairweather dickhead with a shiny sportsbike in a 200 mile radius has decided to come and just rev the fucker up at the traffic lights near my house.

It's a really lovely place to live for 8 months of the year.

My folks decided to take the aged Peugeot Expert (ex- @Alan_Green) to Bristol on Saturday,   they got 40 minutes unto the journey before the brake pedal went soft.

This is concerning as I had recently serviced the rears (drums; no leaks from the cylinders) to prepare it for it's mot.  When I finally got to see it the next day, the brakes were all behaving.

I can only wonder if somehow it'd boiled the brake fluid?

The petrol station cash point eating my card  and the Volvo having 20 miles of range for 10 miles of journy tho it decided to go to  from  10 miles to zero miles  about 4 miles from home.  It was mostly downhill luckily  and even made it half a mile later once I'd begged some money off the GF.

9 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

My folks decided to take the aged Peugeot Expert (ex- @Alan_Green) to Bristol on Saturday,   they got 40 minutes unto the journey before the brake pedal went soft.

This is concerning as I had recently serviced the rears (drums; no leaks from the cylinders) to prepare it for it's mot.  When I finally got to see it the next day, the brakes were all behaving.

Does it have ABS?

There's a vague memory in my mind of a faulty ABS pump causing this, it intermittently malfunctioned and ran continuously - boiling up the fluid eventually. Can't for the life of me remember what car it was, and as I say, it's vaguely in the back of my mind from a quite a while ago! 

Anyway, more likely is aged fluid. When was it last changed? No signs of any corners binding? 

On 4/29/2023 at 8:53 PM, Remspoor said:

Censorship of the Interweb is coming very very soon.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_2413

It is all a bit odd. Some websites are not listed and some that are are hardly going to be allowing users to spread of disinformation or allow illegal content. So many questions that are not answered in this law. But don't worry the EU is leading the world in these matters. Only time before other countries follow suit. (according to the EU)

Why aren't we on that list? 

Screenshot_20230503_082601_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.3d9e66519983d1684dadd7c88d3d88ff.jpg

I'm on here longer than all of those put together. Are you telling me I'm in a minority? 

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Why aren't we on that list? 

Screenshot_20230503_082601_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.3d9e66519983d1684dadd7c88d3d88ff.jpg

I'm on here longer than all of those put together. Are you tell me I'm in a minority? 

It is not 100% clear to me who is actually affected by this legislation. They are going to implement it for all "platforms" and the list is just a start.  I hope that the forum mods look into this to see if they are going to be affected. Maybe put an IP blocker on all of us who post from inside the block thus no users from the EU allowed. The likes of Booking are listed, but not AirBnB or Tripadvisor. The list  seems very random.

2 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

I've never heard of Zalando

That is because they do not sell stuff that interests you. 😉

image.thumb.png.4e17e2f5d154e909b97cab589d3f6afb.png

image.png.a5416ea95f4e6c1d59020e7273621a95.png

22 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

Some Peugeots of that era require plugging in to whatever-the-software-is-for-peugeot to activate the ABS pump to get all air out of the system.

In theory, it should be possible to change the fluid by simply ensuring you never draw air in, but if you do, the system simply will not work.  it will bleed as if it's fine, but there's trapped air in the ABS module that you *cannot* remove by conventional means.  The first thing you know about it is when you stamp on the brakes, the ABS activates and suddenly you have no brakes.

Not the best design.  Which is why it was changed fairly quickly.  Pre-facelift 405s suffer the same issue.

On 4/30/2023 at 3:05 PM, sierraman said:

Just seen another candidate for Co-op Funeral Care working on his car, sat on the trolley jack as he’s hammering the cunt out of something underneath. No stands or even wheel under the car...

Whilst at face value, I'm inclined to say that's their own problem, my bigger concern is that if said dickhead kills himself, there's an increased risk that working on your own car will be seen as dangerous, so legislation will be brought in to prevent people from doing so.  "for your own good".  I don't want to be restricted in what I can do just because some brain-dead idiot hasn't a clue what he's doing.

33 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Whilst at face value, I'm inclined to say that's their own problem, my bigger concern is that if said dickhead kills himself, there's an increased risk that working on your own car will be seen as dangerous, so legislation will be brought in to prevent people from doing so.  "for your own good".  I don't want to be restricted in what I can do just because some brain-dead idiot hasn't a clue what he's doing.

A chap across from me was doing some work on his car just resting on a scissor jack. I did offer him an axle stand but he decided against it so you can only suggest, I figure people think it will be fine. Which it probably will be, right up to the point when it won’t and it falls off the jack. 

2 hours ago, barefoot said:

More ECO bullshit. - 'Plan A, because there is no plan B' -

Popular & well known brand M&S have an office in Nottingham. They've just invited 5 folk from where my wife works near Mansfield to a meeting  at their offices in Hong Kong.

Business class.? 

I think I'd miss the flight back and have to stay another couple of days at the companies expense. 

A couple of years ago I had a cheap 2t trolley jack fold in on itself just after I'd taken the wheel nuts off the o/s/f wheel on a 5 series, and was pulling the wheel off to put an axle stand under the hub. The wheel came down trapping the tip of my boot and the hub sat on the inside of the wheel trapping it in place. Very fortunately they were my steelies and I was able to undo the boot and slip my foot out without any damage, if my foot had been a few inches further under the wheel it would have probably crushed the boot. I don't take any chances now, bought a much better 3t jack, more axle stands and never put bits of myself under unsupported bits of car.

Don't dick about with crap jacks and inadequate kit.

I don't even like working under cars on axle stands, my preference is for either the wheel I've just removed with a sheet of wood over it to protect the sill/wheel face when just working to the side of the car or some railway sleepers (spare ones, not from the adjacent railway line obviously) when working underneath. 

35 minutes ago, warch said:

I don't even like working under cars on axle stands, my preference is for either the wheel I've just removed with a sheet of wood over it to protect the sill/wheel face when just working to the side of the car or some railway sleepers (spare ones, not from the adjacent railway line obviously) when working underneath. 

"Hello Signaller at Pantyffynnon, Driver of 2V10 here. Yes, I'm stuck because someone has borrowed a couple of sleepers and is using them to prop up their Land Rover while they work on it..." 

Wheels always go under the sill, without fail. Well, so long as I get chance to actually slide them under the sill in the first place. 

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

In Aintree hospital , stressed after using the multi story , spaces avb it said , took me 30 minutes to find one and only because I saw some one leaving . 

Never again , use the train next time or walk in ...

3 quid to get out because the 30 mins 8 spent looking for a space took me over charge point ,blood test was a in and out job ,5 mins max , so I paid for looking for a parking space , many other unhappy drivers stood around the payment machine which did not take money , not good when it declines your card , f in stuffed then !!! 

16 minutes ago, GagaStan said:

IMG_8072.thumb.jpeg.4ffe6905a8a316ab19c02bf568938690.jpeg

Why does nobody ever change these??

At least now I know why the blower fan felt a bit asthmatic…

We once had a 12 year old K11 Micra come back with a complaint that it wouldn't demist. On Micras the dash panel is made with a panel that has to be cut out the first time the cabin filter is changed. This one still had it in place...

27 minutes ago, artdjones said:

We once had a 12 year old K11 Micra come back with a complaint that it wouldn't demist. On Micras the dash panel is made with a panel that has to be cut out the first time the cabin filter is changed. This one still had it in place...

That is GRIM, although by the state of this one I wouldn't be surprised if it's original from 2007 🤢

2 hours ago, GagaStan said:

ours fell out a few weeks back , banged it on the wall to clear the shite , then put it back with an extra clip on it .., prob see the car out now ..

14 hours ago, GagaStan said:

Unfortunately this is caused by folk being sold "full services" for £150 which are just glamorous oil + filter changes. When phoned up to be sold the air, fuel, cabin filters for an extra £x, £y and £z each, they decline, because they think they're already getting a full service and everything else is just a sales pitch. 

If an indy tells you a full service is £300-350, it means they're doing it properly, not ripping you off. Unfortunately 80% of people don't realise this. It's not their fault at all though, just scummy sales tactics by the fast fit industry and the likes of Servicing Stop. 

If you tell someone you're doing a "full" service, that would imply 'everything' is being done. Clues in the name. 

As an example at my indy, we offer full, tailored and intermediate

Full is what happens the first time we see it and/or there's no prior history, all the normal fluids and filters get changed. Including Iridium plugs where fitted. No surcharges, no bullshit. You get a base price depending on the make/model and that's what you pay

Tailored is a full, minus what isn't due. Generally every 2 years/20k miles. So you have the base price and then the price goes down for every item that isn't due, e.g if the fuel filter doesn't need doing for another 2 years, or the plugs aren't due for 30k. Etc etc 

Intermediate gets done every 10k for the motorway milers or every year for the "2k a year" mileage customers. It's basically an oil change and health check, what others would call a full service. Yet it's our lowest service. 

If someone calls a service a full service but the wheels haven't been taken off then I sometimes cry a little inside... 

For further info, I posted a rant in the motor trade thread which sums everything up!

26 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Unfortunately this is caused by folk being sold "full services" for £150 which are just glamorous oil + filter changes. When phoned up to be sold the air, fuel, cabin filters for an extra £x, £y and £z each, they decline, because they think they're already getting a full service and everything else is just a sales pitch. 

I'd agree, this is exactly it. It's off an '07 Kia Rio, which I believe at the time was one of the cheapest news card you could buy here in NZ. So no surprises that the previous owners didn't want to pay (what they'd consider to be) "over the odds" for servicing...

If an oil and filter change is  'full service' for some garages, what the hell is a standard service? Park it in the forecourt for a few hours and take the money? 🤣

6 minutes ago, GagaStan said:

I'd agree, this is exactly it. It's off an '07 Kia Rio, which I believe at the time was one of the cheapest news card you could buy here in NZ. So no surprises that the previous owners didn't want to pay (what they'd consider to be) "over the odds" for servicing...

If an oil and filter change is  'full service' for some garages, what the hell is a standard service? Park it in the forecourt for a few hours and take the money? 🤣

That's exactly what we say, they must top up the screenwash, kick the tyres and send it 😂

Not so much a Grump, more of a WTF?

Yesterday I saw a jogger jogging down a busy-ish road a couple of feet from the kerb with a perfectly good pavement running alongside it. He then jogged on the outside of parked cars. Not only that, he was jogging with the traffic and not against it so couldn't see if there was anything coming up behind him. Would've served him right if someone had "mirrored" him when passing.