The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Sold a Fiesta gearbox on eBay, first problem was the buyer wanted it sent to an alternative address. second problem was UPS, my courier of choice had a look at the packaged up gearbox and said they didn't want to take it  in case any oil spilled out.  It was fully drained with any holes sealed up, banded to a cut down 1/4 size pallet and shrink wrapped to death. The dimensions were well within their limits and gearboxes aren't on the prohibited list, it was packaged perfectly but the manager at the depot just didn't want to accept it "just in case". Fair enough I guess.

The only problem is no other courier wants to take the bloody thing. Car parts over 15kg, prohibited, gearboxes, prohibited. I could get Paisley freight or someone to take it but they want £60 odd rather than the £25 UPS were quoting.

I've spent most of the day trawling courier sites, sorting a refund from UPS and finally cancelling the sale with eBay, which prompted an angry response from the buyer. With fees I think I was only making £30 or so from the box anyway. Fuck eBay and FUCK couriers. 

I always list boxes as a DC motor and disguise it with cardboard 

The daughter has been after another project car so she decides on a Reliant Robin of all things. Fair enough, something different and she's good on the spanners in fairness. Nothing local so look further afield. Three cars up around the west Midlands area being sold as projects, two private and one commercial. Tried phoning and messaging all of them since Monday a.m.  and still no reply off anyone. Not expecting a reply off the private sellers straight away as they may be in work but not even the bloody dealer will pick up the phone even after they replied to my message to call them back! 

20230425_155734.thumb.jpg.6360b9b0aff1c12f93dcc18c5f2a7a03.jpg

Ta muchly one of my neighbours. Disco is tucked in the back lane, so no passing traffic. I'm probably a bad man for immediately thinking CND, given he has a white pikey tipper. However checking cctv I'm pretty sure it isn't him, he just belches clouds of soot but doesn't come near it. Doesn't help that I've not been down there for a week and cctv isn't really pointing at that corner. 

1 hour ago, JB77 said:

The daughter has been after another project car so she decides on a Reliant Robin of all things. Fair enough, something different and she's good on the spanners in fairness. Nothing local so look further afield. Three cars up around the west Midlands area being sold as projects, two private and one commercial. Tried phoning and messaging all of them since Monday a.m.  and still no reply off anyone. Not expecting a reply off the private sellers straight away as they may be in work but not even the bloody dealer will pick up the phone even after they replied to my message to call them back! 

Didn't someone on here have one maybe for sale a while ago?

mobiles , cant people put them down for a moment ... 

was in Maccies today and everyone was around the counter with their nose stuck in a screen , even when ordering , paying and eating .. the view out of the upstairs windows across Liverpool might as well not been there .

even my son dreads what the future will bring , what if they embed the WWW into your head via some chip ,

A constant run of adverts and face time whilst you walk , eat , shit and bonk ..

oh and order your Maccies and have it delivered with 2 shakes of your eyelid ???

I took the side door off my Doblo so as to gain access to the dents and scrapes I did about 6 months ago. They are now shallow enough to remove paint and start trowelling on filler. Unfortunately, 30 seconds after carefully propping the door up the wind caught it and it fell over across a kerbstone, so now that's marked.download.png.49f947cf372a196f373368f1744aa109.png

Nipped to the golden arches for lunch today for something convenient. 

Picture the scene, a group of 4 youths, on their phones and chatting away. A couple of them with hoods up and all seemed to be wearing those black puff jackets. Not causing anyone any harm and weren't being disruptive in any way from what I saw. 

A few seats away from them was a pair of middle aged women who had just sat down. One of them immediately complains to the other: "look at that yob over there taking up a whole table" (mates were sitting at one table and he was perched on a seat at the end of another, you know the typical Mcdonalds layout) 

Most seats were full so I assume she was complaining because they struggled to find one, and there was one person "using a whole table". In reality there was nothing stopping anyone from using the rest of the table 🤷

They keep repeating between themselves "I can't believe it, the cheeky sods" and other similar comments

The group of youths leave quietly, and certainly weren't doing anything untoward, all carrying their trays over to the bin and self clearing. 

Basically, they didn't do anything wrong from what I saw. And the women arrived after me so couldn't have witnessed anything either. 

Now the grump here is when these two women left. They left their mess and trays on the table for someone else to clear up...

Really? Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.. etc.. 

They had this preconceived prejudiced opinion against the "yobs" yet failed to see how it's disrespectful to leave all their mess behind especially when the bin is on your way out FFS 🤦

Aren't these people usually the ones that are first to say how you shouldn't be judgemental towards others? Practise what you preach FFS 😞

I'm glad it's not just me that gets wound up by some people's prejudices. Not all yoof are bad, and not all oldies are good. I was chuffed last year when a 23yo working temporarily for me, who's a friend of a permie,  told said permie she couldn't believe how open I was - this purely in a work environment. Both of them encounter it from older people on almost a daily basis, apparently, which I find very sad. (The permie is nearly 40, but has an, um, individual dress sense)

I've been waiting 3 weeks now for a replacement screen mount for my dash cam as the old one broke. Not sure if Nextbase are fibbing about sending it, or if RM have actually lost it, but it ain't here yet. Thankfully, haven't yet missed recording something important, just many twattish drivers.

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

I'm glad it's not just me that gets wound up by some people's prejudices. Not all yoof are bad, and not all oldies are good. I was chuffed last year when a 23yo working temporarily for me, who's a friend of a permie,  told said permie she couldn't believe how open I was - this purely in a work environment. Both of them encounter it from older people on almost a daily basis, apparently, which I find very sad. (The permie is nearly 40, but has an, um, individual dress sense)

We had a lad come in for a short work experience placement a couple of months ago, clearly a somewhat troubled background but desperately trying to turn things around. Typical "youth" look but he was nothing but polite, respectful and punctual. Keen to learn and asked lots of questions. Just hugely lacking any direction and didn't quite show the initiative or aspirations you would hope for. 

Realistically, some of the "troublesome youths" that we all hear of are just lacking any direction from their elders. Not their fault, yet the elders are the first ones to judge them. 

I saw a group trying to vandalize a traffic bollard last week, not sure what they thought they were achieving but it always says more about their upbringing (parents) than them. 

Bloody car window dropped into the door last night when the regulator decided to give up the ghost, used my time last night covering the window aperture in black bags and praying it didn't rain. Spent today hacking apart rivets on the door carrier, permanently fucking up the metal carrier and now it needs a new regulator (which was a given) and another carrier, thankfully you can buy them as the one thing, not just a separate regulator. Window is currently held in with a bit of fence post in true Autoshite fashion. Not looking forward to replacing the regulator to be honest. The window isn't closed right, it's watertight in rain I reckon, but whistles to no end at speed, and all the broken bits in the door rattle and clunk like shoogling a bag of spanners.

On the plus side... I've sorted the dodgy door handle, which is nice, or so I'm telling myself.

So this is what being relaxed looks like. I see.

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

We had a lad come in for a short work experience placement a couple of months ago, clearly a somewhat troubled background but desperately trying to turn things around. Typical "youth" look but he was nothing but polite, respectful and punctual. Keen to learn and asked lots of questions. Just hugely lacking any direction and didn't quite show the initiative or aspirations you would hope for. 

Realistically, some of the "troublesome youths" that we all hear of are just lacking any direction from their elders. Not their fault, yet the elders are the first ones to judge them. 

I saw a group trying to vandalize a traffic bollard last week, not sure what they thought they were achieving but it always says more about their upbringing (parents) than them. 

In quite a few cases they have no upbringing, their parents just sit staring at the TV all day taking no notice of them, and at night get busy creating more kids for more benefit money. [/Daily Mail]

1 hour ago, auntiemaryscanary said:

This was in the work car park so it's been driven in this state! The arch liner has started to melt via friction FFS.

IMG_20230425_125654440_HDR.thumb.jpg.9cfe91f1d187117c33f2e43b710c46ec.jpg

The poor little Terios had visible panel rust too so can't see it being an economical repair.

rip the arch liner out, boot the sharp bits in and drive it forever, that's just a flesh wound

On 11/04/2023 at 13:47, New POD said:

I have over 1000 unopened emails after 18 months in a job. 

Get about 5 daily MOP and Project Status emails automatically every day, including weekends.  I never open them.  I gave links on my desk top to the relevant information, which I look at occasionally. 

There's another which sends me an email daily telling me how many overdue tasks I have.  

Anyway, wife thinks I should resign next week.  I've emailed in sick this week.  I've listened to her figures and they seem flawed to me. But I will be getting my spreadsheet out and working out how little we actually need to live on. 

I did also did a little search on linked in a total jobs. 

There's a part time job 3 mind walk away, making dental implants. And false teeth. 

There's 3 jobs as manufacturing improvement engineers within 30 mins drive. 2 at Leyland trucks. And one at a ceramic brake disk company. 

There's also a consultant job at The MTC in Liverpool. 

My problem us I don't know if it's me, or the job.  Even after 35 years in industry, I feel like it's me. I can only do one thing at one time.  That seems to be the problem. 

Update. 

Last week I had conversations with my boss and his boss (plant manager) 

Both were really supportive, and made some suggestions, but in the end I resigned. 

I finish on 19th July. 

The risk is that I don't find a job, but as my wife said, does it matter? Not really. There no rush. 

I have a zoom interview next week for a company that only has 130 employees and makes carbon ceramic brakes for F1,  mclaren, Aston Martin etc. 

Only 13 miles from home. 

Not heard anything from the other jobs I've applied for. 

However this weekend my alcoholic Lodger is supposed to be moving out. I gave him notice 5 weeks ago to take him to end of April. 

I think he's going to be an arse. 

But no worries. I'll be changing the locks on Sunday, and phoning the police if he refuses to leave. 

Trying to close an investment with Aegon, fuck me. I've had to fill in a funds transfer form, because for some reason I'm not the "administrator" of my account. 

Now I can't find a fucking email address to send it to, and of course there are no customer service email addresses to ask.