The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Both were really supportive, and made some suggestions, but in the end I resigned. 

I finish on 19th July. 

Big step, how are you feeling now you've taken it - weight lifted? Hope the brake company gives you a, um, break - but if not I'm sure you'll find something else suitable before too long.

Getting everything ready for our trip to West Bromwich on Sunday and...only today I found out the trailer I'm lending is a foot short for the car i want to move. Can't find anyone round here to hire a trailer or transporter and when I went to pump the tyres up on my own transporter trailer the pump decided to pack in. Add several other bits of bad news into the mix and its turning out to be a not so wonderful day.

52 minutes ago, JB77 said:

Getting everything ready for our trip to West Bromwich on Sunday and...only today I found out the trailer I'm lending is a foot short for the car i want to move. Can't find anyone round here to hire a trailer or transporter and when I went to pump the tyres up on my own transporter trailer the pump decided to pack in. Add several other bits of bad news into the mix and its turning out to be a not so wonderful day.

I had a similar problem last weekend when I went to pick up the Disco 3 of Doom that I've agreed to take on - it was a couple of inches too wide to fit between the wheels of the trailer.

I've done overhang before... Probably not advisable but I've gotten away with it when no other straightforward choice of recovery was available. This was probably overhanging by a foot or so:

8.thumb.jpg.3cfdb2a3eb14d25a92324b41d0fe226b.jpg

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

I had a similar problem last weekend when I went to pick up the Disco 3 of Doom that I've agreed to take on - it was a couple of inches too wide to fit between the wheels of the trailer.

I've done overhang before... Probably not advisable but I've gotten away with it when no other straightforward choice of recovery was available. This was probably overhanging by a foot or so:

8.thumb.jpg.3cfdb2a3eb14d25a92324b41d0fe226b.jpg

Well I worked out that the car will fit if driven on backwards with the overhang at the front if I remove the front panel on the plant trailer I'm lending. Only trouble then is what little weight is in the car is at the back. Bloody annoying thing is I own an 18ft transporter trailer that the car with 3 wheels won't go on because of the gap down the middle of the trailer! 😄😄

50 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Can you borrow (not, actually, lend) a longer trailer if you can't use something to support the middle wheel? What are you collecting, anyway?

A Reliant Rialto. I don't know anyone else with another trailer to ask, plus I'd rather have it right way round and strapped down tidily rather than looking like someone just stuck it on there any old shape. 

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

How tf can a transporter trailer be too small for a Reliant Rialto?

trailer-and-moby-001.jpg

I measured the bed of the plant trailer earlier and its 10 feet, the Rialto is 11 feet and a bit long. The front wheel will butt up right against the front edge of the trailer after the front panel is removed but then the ramp won't close. It should fit the other way around but the overhang will be quite noticeable.  The luck I've been having lately it would be a magnet for the old bill. 

Change of plan....the deals fallen through. 

I was in the local pub this evening. A guy who I've met once or twice before asked me, "do you have a grey BMW?" 

I replied, "yeah, grey or blue. Why?" 

"estate?" 

"yeah, why?" 

"I was jogging a couple of weeks ago and could've sworn it was you passing me. Around 7:30pm" (then he told me which road and where exactly it was) 

It was me. I was on that road at that time. But it's about 80 miles from where I live and where we were chatting. Turns out he's from there and was visiting family.

One of the things I like about that car is I thought it was very anonymous

4 hours ago, JB77 said:

I measured the bed of the plant trailer earlier and its 10 feet, the Rialto is 11 feet and a bit long. The front wheel will butt up right against the front edge of the trailer after the front panel is removed but then the ramp won't close. It should fit the other way around but the overhang will be quite noticeable.  The luck I've been having lately it would be a magnet for the old bill. 

Change of plan....the deals fallen through. 

Nothing wrong with an overhang of that size, it's of no consequence and Dibble will not care. Overhanging loads only need marking if the overhang is more than 1 metre.

Warning, long rant.

I've been  pretty deaf. since childhood, but worse now because very old.

I've been waiting for an assessment for months, as they realise I'm worse.

Got back from Spain Wed aft. Letter today, you missed an appointment at Audiology Wed morn.

We have informed your GP, and you will not get a replacement appointment without another referral from them.

I received a phone call last Thurs. I know because it's a BT turn it up for deaf phone, with a light and a buzzer, but I rarely hear a spoken word on it.

Anything through a speaker is alien to my head.

It's a nice lady. but I'm catching 1 word in 5 no matter how slow she goes.  Sorry love, can't hear you, if it's important please txt me on 1234567.

It's now just dawned on me that Audiology ring people up to fill up cancelled appointments, and likely for no shows. IT WAS THEM, I'll put money on it.

I've had it out with them in the past. How can a deaf person use a 'kin Phone?

Sorry sir Audiology don't send txts. Why though? Sorry sir haven't a clue.  So they sent me a letter instead of a txt, and barred me.

So sent nice email.

Regarding your letter re my non attendance.

Have not received any notification from you regarding an appointment.  In any event I was in Spain 10 days before and returned after the appointment time you say you notified me of. 

I have not missed an appointment with you in 67 years.

Would be grateful if you reconsider and grant me a new appointment in the circumstances as it was around 60 years ago that my GP first referred me.

Censorship of the Interweb is coming very very soon.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_2413

It is all a bit odd. Some websites are not listed and some that are are hardly going to be allowing users to spread of disinformation or allow illegal content. So many questions that are not answered in this law. But don't worry the EU is leading the world in these matters. Only time before other countries follow suit. (according to the EU)

3 hours ago, Mally said:

Warning, long rant.

I've been  pretty deaf. since childhood, but worse now because very old.

I've been waiting for an assessment for months, as they realise I'm worse.

Got back from Spain Wed aft. Letter today, you missed an appointment at Audiology Wed morn.

We have informed your GP, and you will not get a replacement appointment without another referral from them.

I received a phone call last Thurs. I know because it's a BT turn it up for deaf phone, with a light and a buzzer, but I rarely hear a spoken word on it.

Anything through a speaker is alien to my head.

It's a nice lady. but I'm catching 1 word in 5 no matter how slow she goes.  Sorry love, can't hear you, if it's important please txt me on 1234567.

It's now just dawned on me that Audiology ring people up to fill up cancelled appointments, and likely for no shows. IT WAS THEM, I'll put money on it.

I've had it out with them in the past. How can a deaf person use a 'kin Phone?

Sorry sir Audiology don't send txts. Why though? Sorry sir haven't a clue.  So they sent me a letter instead of a txt, and barred me.

So sent nice email.

Regarding your letter re my non attendance.

Have not received any notification from you regarding an appointment.  In any event I was in Spain 10 days before and returned after the appointment time you say you notified me of. 

I have not missed an appointment with you in 67 years.

Would be grateful if you reconsider and grant me a new appointment in the circumstances as it was around 60 years ago that my GP first referred me.

Your first mistake would be thinking that any of the bureaucrats in the office care about whether you live or die. The clue would be that being an audiology department they are dealing with deaf people, but they don't change their administrative procedures to cater for them by using texts, WhatsApp or emails.

All  people like that care for is earning the maximum amount of money and pension credits for the minimum amount of thought or effort.

15 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Your first mistake would be thinking that any of the bureaucrats in the office care about whether you live or die. The clue would be that being an audiology department they are dealing with deaf people, but they don't change their administrative procedures to cater for them by using texts, WhatsApp or emails.

All  people like that care for is earning the maximum amount of money and pension credits for the minimum amount of thought or effort.

The actual Audiologists that you are involved with are the finest people I've ever dealt with in the NHS.

Waiting time is usually 10 mins, you used to drop in, its phone booking now since Covid, but still easy.

They listen to you, and fix your problem, but only have a limited time of 10? mins per person.

They tell you when you are due for review and often book you there and then.

In this case there was a long waiting list.

I know the way round the system, book an appointment with a broken tube, see  a real person, explain, and 99% they will just rebook me.

I don't need a GP referral.  I'm on their register,  with 2 hearing aids. I can get to see someone in Audiology if I have a problem any time I like.

It's a standard failed to show up letter. 

Worst comes to worst, I may have to mention vulnerable. It did hint that was a possible get out.

38 minutes ago, Mally said:

The actual Audiologists that you are involved with are the finest people I've ever dealt with in the NHS.

Waiting time is usually 10 mins, you used to drop in, its phone booking now since Covid, but still easy.

They listen to you, and fix your problem, but only have a limited time of 10? mins per person.

They tell you when you are due for review and often book you there and then.

In this case there was a long waiting list.

I know the way round the system, book an appointment with a broken tube, see  a real person, explain, and 99% they will just rebook me.

I don't need a GP referral.  I'm on their register,  with 2 hearing aids. I can get to see someone in Audiology if I have a problem any time I like.

It's a standard failed to show up letter. 

Worst comes to worst, I may have to mention vulnerable. It did hint that was a possible get out.

Clinicians are usually ok. Except that they don't control the clerical workers, who often aren't.

16 hours ago, Bren said:

My local Halfords.

Hardly any staff. Angry looking blokes stood outside in small groups wishing they could change bulbs.

Customers inside asking staff where things were rather than just looking for themselves.

In the end I put my stuff back and left.

Halfords seem to just employ children, it must be a stipulation on the interview process ‘do you have no interest or knowledge of cars?’ to make the grade. I believe ECP have a similar question is that ‘can you demonstrate on a daily basis that you’d much rather be somewhere else and display a really unhelpful attitude?’ to get through their gates. 

Flat panic as I consulted my spreadsheet and looked at the car sheet to find that it is over a year since I renewed my insurance. I never normally think about it as I get a reminder a couple of weeks in advance of renewal. Looks like I have been driving uninsured for a month http://unaboard.coalgoddess.net/images/smilies/eek.gif

And then it got worse. Unable to log in to the insurance company site.
Looked in saved emails and there was one saying that insurance had been declined and to download the .pdf, but there was no .pdf attached.

The only recourse was to phone them, something that I despise having to do. I have a number of calls that I should have made, going back six months, I just can't pick up the phone unless it is a dire emergency, which this was as my son uses my car more than I do.

Wound myself up and managed to press the buttons. Got a very pleasant young chap on the phone who looked at my account and said it wasn't due for renewal until June.

Panic over but does this mean that I will make those other calls. Probably not.

Still have to sort the boiler service, six months overdue, and three doctors appointments and MRI at the UK Biobank.  Tried to book a Covid re-jab, all the walk-in centres are over 70 miles away, despite the fact that I can practically see on from my house.  Same with pharmacies.  There was one five miles away but all booked up and I have lost the link to them, their own website offers nothing.

46 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Flat panic as I consulted my spreadsheet and looked at the car sheet to find that it is over a year since I renewed my insurance. I never normally think about it as I get a reminder a couple of weeks in advance of renewal. Looks like I have been driving uninsured for a month http://unaboard.coalgoddess.net/images/smilies/eek.gif

And then it got worse. Unable to log in to the insurance company site.
Looked in saved emails and there was one saying that insurance had been declined and to download the .pdf, but there was no .pdf attached.

The only recourse was to phone them, something that I despise having to do. I have a number of calls that I should have made, going back six months, I just can't pick up the phone unless it is a dire emergency, which this was as my son uses my car more than I do.

Wound myself up and managed to press the buttons. Got a very pleasant young chap on the phone who looked at my account and said it wasn't due for renewal until June.

Panic over but does this mean that I will make those other calls. Probably not.

Still have to sort the boiler service, six months overdue, and three doctors appointments and MRI at the UK Biobank.  Tried to book a Covid re-jab, all the walk-in centres are over 70 miles away, despite the fact that I can practically see on from my house.  Same with pharmacies.  There was one five miles away but all booked up and I have lost the link to them, their own website offers nothing.

Put your insurance on auto renew, that way if you forget you’re still covered. You can still change it when they take the piss on prices but at least you’re not going to done for driving without insurance which will cost you a fortune in the long run.

The Mrs went to specsavers who dilated her eyes.  Which made the pressure go mad and a hospital appointment. They gave her some magic pills. Side effects include may* cause anger.

Oh yes! Went to asda and someone went in the trolley tills without a trolley. So she had a scream at them then shouted at till minder and was then giving the security guard the point n shout treatment that the sign needs changing if they allow people in without trolleys.

Afterwards she says do you think they're making me more angry? Just a little dear.