The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Austat said:

567777097_AustinAllegro-LLW47P(2).thumb.jpg.3e43760cfddc50971b7b87a37dcfdf8d.jpg

While I'm sort of with you on this, there's not a lot of point to what they're creating - if anyone had to do it, retropower are the people who will do it as much justice as they can and most importantly not overdo it.

Most builds like this are started by some overenthusiastic maniac who would cut the bottom out of the allegro, slide the underside of the integra underneath and just weld it together where it touched and then use some 60x60x6mm box section to "reinforce" random bits, then it would end up passing through 3 or 4 owners who all think they're the guy to finish it before finally being scrapped.

When I was working on the Volvo yesterday I released the alternator belts tension by slackening the bolts then pulling up on the belts to free the pivot on the alternator. Unfortunately in doing so I accidentally span the engine over a bit by hand, which pulled my finger partly in between the belts and water pump pulley! It’s squashed and cut my finger tip! 
My god did it hurt, but I was trapped by it and trying frantically to spin the pulley backwards with my other hand! If the thing was running or my finger went much further in I’m positive I’d have lost my finger. 
It’s very tender and bruised now. Watch what your doing out there!

15 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

When I was working on the Volvo yesterday I released the alternator belts tension by slackening the bolts then pulling up on the belts to free the pivot on the alternator. Unfortunately in doing so I accidentally span the engine over a bit by hand, which pulled my finger partly in between the belts and water pump pulley! It’s squashed and cut my finger tip! 
My god did it hurt, but I was trapped by it and trying frantically to spin the pulley backwards with my other hand! If the thing was running or my finger went much further in I’m positive I’d have lost my finger. 
It’s very tender and bruised now. Watch what your doing out there!

Ouch, today I managed to hit my thumb with a brick I was using as a hammer, 48 yrs old and still incredibly fucking stupid 

12 hours ago, Austat said:

Retropower is creating an automotive sin

They decided to cut up a well kept, original Allegro that was last on the road in 1982 and are cutting up a very clean and highly collectable Honda Intrega to put the mechanicals into it. I hate this build with a passion. Not only will they ruin an Allegro with all this modern tat that will most definitely look like wank once it's done, they are essentially scrapping a very well kept Integra in the process that could of been sold to an enthusiast who would of enjoyed it a lot as they are very popular tuner cars. Once Honda fans know about what is happening here, they will grab their pitch forks, this is such a terrible fucking idea and is one of the reasons why I have trust issues when it comes to resto mods, they ruin perfectly good cars all for a laugh.

All because we hear in the media that "the Allegro is the worst car in the world" and so forth from bored tabloid writers with no automotive knowledge, who only make these articles to get a quick pay check because they can't rely on annoying the royal family as a profession. 

This is the Allegro which will be ruined for this retro-mod-monstrosity (LLW 47P), these photos are from January 2021 when it was first taken out of its garage since 1982 (I now think it should've never left it).

55099766_AustinAllegro-LLW47P(1).thumb.jpg.46bf543fb987e4a3d7a6d401b479becf.jpg

567777097_AustinAllegro-LLW47P(2).thumb.jpg.3e43760cfddc50971b7b87a37dcfdf8d.jpg

Apologies for the language, but I can't keep this to myself.

I fucking hate this so much.

10 hours ago, cobblers said:

While I'm sort of with you on this, there's not a lot of point to what they're creating - if anyone had to do it, retropower are the people who will do it as much justice as they can and most importantly not overdo it.

Most builds like this are started by some overenthusiastic maniac who would cut the bottom out of the allegro, slide the underside of the integra underneath and just weld it together where it touched and then use some 60x60x6mm box section to "reinforce" random bits, then it would end up passing through 3 or 4 owners who all think they're the guy to finish it before finally being scrapped.

A bit like this project then?

image.thumb.jpeg.fa436dfbbd3ad883798e108c0c3137b8.jpeg

2 hours ago, chadders said:

What about your two (?) spare houses?

Anyway Excel is your friend in these circumstances.

One is worth £700 a month in rent. 

The other is a fucking liability but has a little equity (£60k after capital gains tax and cost of selling) 

14 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Um, necessity is the mother of invention, and all that. Was a hammer unobtainable?

I only needed 2 whacks for what I was doing so couldn't be arsed finding it, whack 2 was rather painful so lesson learned 

8 minutes ago, omegod said:

I only needed 2 whacks for what I was doing so couldn't be arsed finding it, whack 2 was rather painful so lesson learned 

Must admit, I’m guilty as sin for doing things like that. Going and finding the right tool is too much effort or time so you use something else!

Using a ratchet as a hammer, screwdriver as chisel etc…

14 hours ago, cobblers said:

This one's textbook. What a gopping bag of shite. I'd have assumed that a fundamental part of car design is ensuring the dashboard doesn't block ¾ of the door opening. Unless it's some sort of selective thing to ensure those carrying chub have to lose weight before performing limbo moves in order to sample the unique driving experience...

Screenshot_20230409_001403_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230409_001419_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230409_001448_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230409_001637_eBay.jpg

You can often take your pension some years before the normal retirement age. Obviously you'll get less but with the 60k it might make the bridge to normal retirement age a lot easier.
You can usually "cash in" a pension from 55yo.

Ignoring physical wear & tear, almost everyone has some work or money related stress. It seems to be the less stressful jobs command lower salaries so you worry about money, while the higher paid ones take away the financial stress but are more pressured.

4 hours ago, Cheggers said:

You can usually "cash in" a pension from 55yo.

Ignoring physical wear & tear, almost everyone has some work or money related stress. It seems to be the less stressful jobs command lower salaries so you worry about money, while the higher paid ones take away the financial stress but are more pressured.

I did mine at 55, a bit over 5 years after I retired. I think that if you can prove ill health you can do it earlier.

I disagree to an extent about stress. Our eldest son is a teacher in a Special Needs School; I never had a client throw a fire extinguisher at me or try to cut me with glass shards from a broken window.

1 hour ago, jakebullet said:

Have lathe will make totally invisible* repair. It was that or weld a plate on and try for invisible paint match on pearl metallic. It will keep scrotes out while I can find doors.

20230409_185943.thumb.jpg.1965ee879aed0ea6a244a5635abd0a8a.jpg

Better than my first idea  of penny washers to cover the hole… 

Driving home today along the A5, suddenly *BANG* and I have a nice big stone chip right in the middle of my fucking windscreen.

A few weeks ago I had a quick look over a car at a dealership.  Since then my Focus has had a wing mirror smashed while parked, a puncture, a blown headlamp bulb, and now this - and I am also fairly sure I got done by a scamera van last weekend.  I've not even mentioned selling it but somehow it knows I looked at another car and is doing all this to fucking spite me.

(edit) Oh, and after work today I returned to said Focus to find bird shit all over it as well!

9 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Some cunt has fucked both front doors on the c1 to steal nothing. Dozy cunts didn't even take dashcam.

Any top tips to fix?

20230409_120209.jpg

20230409_120132.jpg

You need one of these:-264d82a443bac6ae65686914670741848ef46540.jpg.e700380d1a55c1b9943fb870c46f021e.jpg

A Sykes Pickavant door lock hole reforming tool. No059600. Trouble is, they are £50 and I'm not sure they make them anymore. But something could probably be knocked up to do the job.

12 minutes ago, artdjones said:

You need one of these:-264d82a443bac6ae65686914670741848ef46540.jpg.e700380d1a55c1b9943fb870c46f021e.jpg

A Sykes Pickavant door lock hole reforming tool. No059600. Trouble is, they are £50 and I'm not sure they make them anymore. But something could probably be knocked up to do the job.

"Tools you never knew existed" thread starts right here?

Someone did the same to an old Vauxhall of mine back in the early nineties.  I ended up removing the knackered passenger door lock and a mix of fibreglass and filler smoothed it all off so it had that smooth look

Drivers side called for a bit of hammering and a bigger, thicker  washer (vaguely recall cutting up a thick rubber floor mat to make it with a school compass) and along with a new lock it all ended up looking ok.  Meant I couldnt unlock the passenger door from the outside but that wasnt a problem ever.

Bloody annoying.  I know who did it so if you were an MOT assistant at LJK Setright BMW in Barkingside in 1992, I havent forgotten sunshine....