The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, Talbot said:

Nope.  I've checked on that quite carefully, and have gone in-and-out in quick succession a few times in the past, they just appear to have cocked up on this one.

Stupid thing is that they (sainsbury's) changed from a barrier-type payment system where it wasn't possible to get a PCN (you paid at exit if you'd over-stayed) to this system about 6 months ago.  Just another way to extort money IMO.  I think it's time for a set of false plates.  Turns out that having the wrong plate on your car isn't even an endorseable offence, just a smallish fine.  If I got two PCNs, it would be cheaper to get caught for the number plate offence.

This happened to me in a Tesco during lockdown 1, I went there to pick up a prescription for someone and it wasn't ready. Pharmacist took my number and called me 20 minutes later just as I'd got home to apologize for the cockup and it was in fact ready on the shelf as it should have been. Not to worry, off I went again, not thinking about the car park. 

Bang, PCN through the post. Contested it with the store manager and he "dealt with it" and I never heard a peep afterwards 🤔🤔

Don't know if it's a combination of a lack of enforcement action during lockdown, and the fact the "appeal" was that I was collecting a prescription for a vulnerable person during lockdown and the second visit was due to the store's cockup and not my personal gain... Does make you wonder if the stores always have back door access to contest the fines for people, because that must be what happened in my case 🤔

On 28/03/2023 at 15:09, sdkrc said:

What the fuck is wrong with the tradesmen in Scotland? Is there a single one who's not a feckless, unreliable cunt?  I'm convinced that all trades are stocked with the lowest common denominators with not even the remotest shred of pride in their work. I've had perhaps 2 positive experiences in 9yrs in Scotland and countless shit ones. 

Trying to get a boiler fixed. Had to call 8 or 9 engineers now. Most don't want the work unless they're fitting a new boiler. I've had 2 who did want the work, 1 turned up hours late, asked to go for a piss and spent almost zero time diagnosing the fucking issue. "Need a new PCB, might not fix it though. The office will call with a quote". The office didn't call though, I had to call them a week later. £320 for the part alone. He took loads of the screws that hold the boiler cover and he broke some of the plastics inside the boiler as well. Sound. 

2nd guy spoke well, replied quickly and turned up on time. Seemed decent until he left and nothing fucking worked. He was supposed to install a Nest thermostat but he fucked that up. He was supposed to turn up at 10am this morning and he's AWOL. 

Turn up when you've said you would? Nah

Answer a call or text? Nah

3min test of your work to make sure you don't need to come back out again? Nah

The first boiler broke down because of a flood caused by shitty, uninsulated pipework. The second boiler was installed by a guy who left 2 gas leaks and tried to blame me, he also never hooked up the thermostat. 

I'd gladly pay @paulplom through the nose just to come up and sort this out but he's left the sodding site. 

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:

got a recommendation through a carpenter the missus knows and holy shit... boiler works, the smart thermostat is now hooked up, the flue was barely attached and was held together with duct tape, they fixed that. All sorted in sub-2hours.

They explained everything they did and why they did it. They explained everything they tested. They cleaned up after themselves. Their price was very reasonable. 

11/10 - Polska Gurom 

r/Prawicowi_Memiarze - Polska gurom

IMG_20230403_143957787.thumb.jpg.61c7016c12820cf1e49072bc3dbbebb7.jpgIMG_20230403_144251987.thumb.jpg.7c2966ce10a05689682cfbe058b5c306.jpg

2 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Visiting carers? 

🤬🤬🤬 

They set me off in a grump for working on my b2500 pick up .... Trying to change front discs ....fkbme seems like a 🤬 of a job , looks like I've got to split/press the hub apart and all the ball joints to get the disc retaining bolts .... Unless someone knows different 🤬🤬 , any ideas 🤞🤞

A colleague really pissed me off today. He's a racist, homophobic, etc. We keep out of one another's way and don't speak to each other, an arrangement that I'm very happy with. Most other people treat him the same way, as he really is an unpleasant individual. Everyone at work gets on with each other apart from this prick, and no doubt he thinks everyone else is the problem. 

There's a lady who started on reception today and she was being shown around and introduced to people. She is Latvian but speaks very good English. I've got the utmost of respect for anyone who has taken the time to learn a second language, something which I've never bothered to do. 

A few minutes later I overheard her being introduced to the bell end and someone else. Matey was repeatedly taking the piss out of her accent and laughing the whole time. The conversation looked very awkward and he was the only one finding it funny. What an appalling way to behave towards someone who is starting a new job. He then said something about her coming over on a dinghy.

I'm the last person to cause a scene, but suddenly found myself shouting out "her English is better than yours, you fat cunt" or words to that effect. I think he was just as taken aback as me, and didn't have anything to say in response. It was very out of character for me as I tend to avoid confrontation. A couple of others in the vicinity who overheard also piped up, including a lad built like a brick shit house who walked over to him and said "I dare you to talk to me like that". 

Later spoke to the manager who was showing her around and apologised for my outburst and bad language. She was pleased something was said and is keen to escalate things over his discrimination, something which I'm more than happy to get on board with. I've had a word with a few other colleagues who also expressed a keen interest in throwing him under the bus.

It really angered me at how unwelcome the poor lady at the centre of all this must have been made to feel. There's a fair few of us who are determined to use this opportunity to fuck him off once and for all. 

I can only echo the above.

I've heard of a case recently where somebody was asked to leave a job they'd been in for over 25 years for precisely that kind of behaviour.  It took one colleague to put in a grievance, which then resulted in several others doing the same.  It takes one person like you to be brave and stand up to people like that and others to speak out.  Good on you.

I really appreciate the comments, though it seems I've made myself out to be some sort of caped crusader which is very much not the case!

I tend to shy away from confrontation and in this situation for whatever reason I couldn't bite my tongue. The words just sort of came out! I'm looking back on it now and thinking about how I could have got my point across more eloquently. 

And I'm sure others would have got involved regardless as it really was unpleasant to witness. He's always very vocal about migrants/foreigners/etc. but today was on another level. He certainly wouldn't have behaved in the same way if the five-foot Lithuanian lady was a six-foot Lithuanian bloke. 

We're desperate to see the back of him, and despite his lack of self-awareness, even he must realise that after today. If he does get handed his P45, no doubt he'll blame "migrants".

On 4/1/2023 at 6:59 PM, eddyramrod said:

Thanks for the input, guys.  I will admit to being a bit* wary of buying used, having been bitten in the past.  Think I'll wait to see what @mitsisigma01 turns up...

What kind of thing are you looking for? I think I have an old one somewhere that I would be happy to send. Might be more basic than what you're looking for though. I don't remember quite what it is but I'd be happy to dig it out if it's of any use

Found out a customer of mine died yesterday, in fact I'd call him a friend. Big bombastic bastard, but a genuinely really nice bloke, would help anyone out. Ran his own little firm doing truck repairs and hydraulic bits and bobs.

In his late 40s, had a stroke while driving his van, His passenger managed to steer it to a stop, but apparently he died not long after in hospital.

He'd only sent me a shit joke on facebook a couple of days ago! He had a plot of land he was in the process of selling, just waiting on the solicitors... when that went through he was going to down tools and retire and take it easy, seems he didn't quite make it. Only ten years older than me, it puts things in perspective. 

RIP Mark, I'll have a pint for you tonight.

Worst of all the big bald cunt owed us £65.

On 4/3/2023 at 10:52 PM, MrGTI6 said:

I really appreciate the comments, though it seems I've made myself out to be some sort of caped crusader which is very much not the case!

I tend to shy away from confrontation and in this situation for whatever reason I couldn't bite my tongue. The words just sort of came out! I'm looking back on it now and thinking about how I could have got my point across more eloquently. 

And I'm sure others would have got involved regardless as it really was unpleasant to witness. He's always very vocal about migrants/foreigners/etc. but today was on another level. He certainly wouldn't have behaved in the same way if the five-foot Lithuanian lady was a six-foot Lithuanian bloke. 

We're desperate to see the back of him, and despite his lack of self-awareness, even he must realise that after today. If he does get handed his P45, no doubt he'll blame "migrants".

Thanks to the shower of shit we have masquerading as a government spouting right wing rhertoric to save themselves many people seem to think shit like this is acceptable.

Get in the fucking sea.

It's sobering when that happens, especially so young. I feel like I'm on borrowed time as my dad passed away over 30 years ago, when he was 2 years younger than I am now.

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

Worst of all the big bald cunt owed us £65.

If you're bothered about that, sending a copy invoice with a covering letter to the solicitor dealing with probate in due course (maybe same one as selling the land) should get the funds from his estate...eventually.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:33 PM, myglaren said:

Couldn't get out of the door yesterday for the snow.  It must have been at least an inch deep.

These things irritate me:

IMG_20230311_121737413.thumb.jpg.5c285ce4911a93d0b3269ec690a8b9f7.jpg

Stupid plastic earth pin that breaks off and has to be stuffed into a socket to hold it open so the thing can be used, making the socket both unsafe and unusable for anything else.   generally glue them to an adaptor but it makes for a huge and ugly kludge.

This was in an extension lead that I need at my son's to install LED lights in his garage.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, Metal Guru said:

I’ve thrown away loads of good Christmas lights for that reason.

Too late, I know, but this could be solved with the help of a two socket adaptors set. Last time (4? 5 years ago?) I bought a set for a quid, it had one UK to European and one European to UK adaptors in it. Stuff the broken pin in the UK to EU adaptor, stick the rest of the power source there, and add the EU - UK adaptor. Bulkier than before, but ready to use without any change to the house circuitry.

2 hours ago, TataBobu said:

Too late, I know, but this could be solved with the help of a two socket adaptors set. Last time (4? 5 years ago?) I bought a set for a quid, it had one UK to European and one European to UK adaptors in it. Stuff the broken pin in the UK to EU adaptor, stick the rest of the power source there, and add the EU - UK adaptor. Bulkier than before, but ready to use without any change to the house circuitry.

That is a useful idea

Cancelling insurance.

Why is an online cancellation worthy of a £55 fee (which I would prefer to do rather than wait a fortnight for performance direct to answer the flipping phone).

The way it's been processed, it's actually going to cost me £20 more to cancel than if I had just let the bloody insurance go to the end of it's term , which I wouldn't of course for a car I'll no longer own.

Only £20, but still annoys me.

Retropower is creating an automotive sin

They decided to cut up a well kept, original Allegro that was last on the road in 1982 and are cutting up a very clean and highly collectable Honda Intrega to put the mechanicals into it. I hate this build with a passion. Not only will they ruin an Allegro with all this modern tat that will most definitely look like wank once it's done, they are essentially scrapping a very well kept Integra in the process that could of been sold to an enthusiast who would of enjoyed it a lot as they are very popular tuner cars. Once Honda fans know about what is happening here, they will grab their pitch forks, this is such a terrible fucking idea and is one of the reasons why I have trust issues when it comes to resto mods, they ruin perfectly good cars all for a laugh.

All because we hear in the media that "the Allegro is the worst car in the world" and so forth from bored tabloid writers with no automotive knowledge, who only make these articles to get a quick pay check because they can't rely on annoying the royal family as a profession. 

This is the Allegro which will be ruined for this retro-mod-monstrosity (LLW 47P), these photos are from January 2021 when it was first taken out of its garage since 1982 (I now think it should've never left it).

55099766_AustinAllegro-LLW47P(1).thumb.jpg.46bf543fb987e4a3d7a6d401b479becf.jpg

567777097_AustinAllegro-LLW47P(2).thumb.jpg.3e43760cfddc50971b7b87a37dcfdf8d.jpg

Apologies for the language, but I can't keep this to myself.

I fucking hate this so much.

1 hour ago, Austat said:

Retropower is creating an automotive sin

They decided to cut up a well kept, original Allegro that was last on the road in 1982 and are cutting up a very clean and highly collectable Honda Intrega to put the mechanicals into it. I hate this build with a passion. Not only will they ruin an Allegro with all this modern tat that will most definitely look like wank once it's done, they are essentially scrapping a very well kept Integra in the process that could of been sold to an enthusiast who would of enjoyed it a lot as they are very popular tuner cars. Once Honda fans know about what is happening here, they will grab their pitch forks, this is such a terrible fucking idea and is one of the reasons why I have trust issues when it comes to resto mods, they ruin perfectly good cars all for a laugh.

All because we hear in the media that "the Allegro is the worst car in the world" and so forth from bored tabloid writers with no automotive knowledge, who only make these articles to get a quick pay check because they can't rely on annoying the royal family as a profession. 

This is the Allegro which will be ruined for this retro-mod-monstrosity (LLW 47P), these photos are from January 2021 when it was first taken out of its garage since 1982 (I now think it should've never left it).

55099766_AustinAllegro-LLW47P(1).thumb.jpg.46bf543fb987e4a3d7a6d401b479becf.jpg

567777097_AustinAllegro-LLW47P(2).thumb.jpg.3e43760cfddc50971b7b87a37dcfdf8d.jpg

Apologies for the language, but I can't keep this to myself.

I fucking hate this so much.

Their car and its just metal at the end of the day. However I have absolutely no interest in wanky builds like that so I just don't watch them as I find it very boring. There's about a million of them on the go across You Tube. 

If they were filming their attempts to run an original Allegro or Integra as a daily (and occasionally failing) then I'd definitely hook up to that.

I spend Monday Travelling to Bruges, for work, Tuesday at the factory of a customer, trying to convince them that they are testing our product wrong, and Wednesday morning doing the same, and then travelling home. Then on Thursday, I had the day off, to pack and drive to Worcesester to Stay at my sons house, whilst he's away. To do some decorating. 

GOOD Friday comes and I wake up and start projectile vomiting. 

Wife phoned 111.  And we ended up going to the Out of hours GP at Redditch Hospital, then being sent to accident and emergency, eventually I was giving heart xray, and ect , head scan and stumach x ray, bloods taken, put on a drip, bloods taken again

(I vomited every 25 mins until there was nothing left (about 2pm)) 

Eventually was told I had raised cardiac  enzymes, most probably that's the level they are at, due to my heart attack in 2020. And everything else was okay. At 8pm

Feeling like I've been run over by a horse, after sleeping all night 

During that time, sitting on the most painful waiting chairs, we (my wife and I) discussed my stress levels. 

Are all jobs shit? Does every manager want 2lbs of flesh? Does every person have totally impossible workloads with more than one boss dictating what's you need to do. 

Given how I feel this morning, I'm going to phone in sick all next week. Then maybe start to push back on all the conflicting shit I'm expected to do. 

3 minutes ago, New POD said:

Are all jobs shit? Does every manager want 2lbs of flesh? Does every person have totally impossible workloads with more than one boss dictating what's you need to do. 

Yes - all jobs are pretty much shit.
My feeling is that as young fellas we're all piss 'n' vinegar - running around like eejits, work hard, play hard - the usual.
As we get older we either try to maintain that (self-destruct) or are expected to maintain that (external forces = implosion).  
We mostly get some sort of warning that it's time to bugger off out of the rat race a bit but either:
don't notice,
do notice and ignore
or do notice & circumstances don't allow us to do much about it at that point.

Where you sit in all that is your own choice - I should have cut right back on the shit jobs I had way before I did but the ££££ was a bit alluring.
Shrouds don't have pockets.