The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That's the irony. It's hideous out there currently. We've had a load of rainfall over the last month, especially.

There are potential fines if anyone's caught using a hosepipe although the fella who lives a few doors up (who's in the police force) uses his to wash his car at least once a week. Obviously the rules don't* apply to him. 

Here's the reason why the hosepipe ban is still in place. I don't think it'll change any time soon 😕

Screenshot_20230331_091005_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230331_091023_Chrome.jpg

I ignore that's shitmongering , we must be mugs paying full price  for a service that gets restricted every summer ....

3 hours ago, louiepj said:

Havant Thicket Reservoir down Portsmouth way is the first reservoir being built in over 30 years in the U.K.
We apparently haven't needed increased capacity in years emoji848.png.

We had a small reservoir storage setup pretty much behind our place when we bought a decade ago. 

Obviously South West Water sold it for development shortly after and there are now four massive houses sat on the site instead.

It's fine though as it's all the weather's fault.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:35 PM, eddyramrod said:

Last week my compact digital camera died.  Why is it so difficult to get a halfway decent replacement?   (ETA bloody thing is less than a year old, after my previous one also died!)

The market for these has basically died out due to the cameras in smartphones. Anything still made will be cheap shit made in a generic factory in China, regardless of what name is on it.

If you want something that will last I would be looking for something like a Nikon or Canon made in the 2000s, when they were still made by the individual manufacturer and quality was a distinguishing factor between different brands (i.e. a Nikon will be good and a Kodak or similar will be shit)

12 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

The market for these has basically died out due to the cameras in smartphones. Anything still made will be cheap shit made in a generic factory in China, regardless of what name is on it.

If you want something that will last I would be looking for something like a Nikon or Canon made in the 2000s, when they were still made by the individual manufacturer and quality was a distinguishing factor between different brands (i.e. a Nikon will be good and a Kodak or similar will be shit)

A Fuji is a good option, they were mediocre in film camera days, but got in early when digital cameras became possible, and became very good at them. I had a Fuji which got pinched in a burglary, which was replaced by the more expensive Lumix I still have. In my opinion the Fuji was better.

23 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

It's a complete shambles, isn't it? I follow Feargal Sharkey on Twitter where he continues to highlight the almost daily sewage releases by the water companies. Ultimately, they're successful businesses which make excellent profits and pay their shareholders handsomely to the detriment of the environment. They're playing the system, end of. 

For anyone who hasn't seen them, there was an interesting, although depressing, series of two programmes about the state of our rivers on the BBC recently, including the sewage discharges, Feargal Sharkey  was a contributor.

Paul Whitehouse - Our Troubled Rivers

14 hours ago, wuvvum said:

82 quid for a cheapo eBay cat, and 16 quid for a new Lambda sensor.  So not the end of the world, but still a right pain in the arse.

Don’t forget the razor wire to wrap up the new cat for the next dick who tries to nick it. 
although remove for MOT, they won’t be impressed.

think it’s time to start leaving dog shit under cars in hot spot areas? 

16 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

We had a small reservoir storage setup pretty much behind our place when we bought a decade ago. 

Obviously South West Water sold it for development shortly after and there are now four massive houses sat on the site instead.

It's fine though as it's all the weather's fault.

There is a difference between a catchment reservoir and a covered service one. I would assume that the way water is fed to the area changed and removed the need to the extra storage facility next to your gaf.

April fools "jokes."

If you're unlucky enough to have a brain wired like mine it just results in me getting 95% of the way through reading most of them - or indeed only when someone points it out in some cases - to clock it's a wind up.

Basically means I dare not reply to anything anywhere for at least the next 24 hours in case I end up just making myself look like a complete idiot.

37 minutes ago, Austin-Rover said:

ASDA's meat is shite. All pre-packaged and shipped in from thousands of miles away. 

Supermarket meat has improved immensely over the last 10 years and tbh my local butcher’s prices are just too high, (fillet steak £50/kg?) even though I try to support local shops.

I use Asda more than most of the others, and can’t say , I’ve had many problems with their fresh meat.

Of course if you buy Just Essentials sausages or burgers, yes they are shite but you’d be pretty naive to expect any decent meat in them , given the price. 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:35 PM, eddyramrod said:

Last week my compact digital camera died.  Why is it so difficult to get a halfway decent replacement?   (ETA bloody thing is less than a year old, after my previous one also died!)

If it doesn't have to be new, then I'd recommend a Canon PowerShot A560 if you can get a hold of a good wee yin. Had mine since 2008 and it's done me well.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

April fools "jokes."

If you're unlucky enough to have a brain wired like mine it just results in me getting 95% of the way through reading most of them - or indeed only when someone points it out in some cases - to clock it's a wind up.

Basically means I dare not reply to anything anywhere for at least the next 24 hours in case I end up just making myself look like a complete idiot.

FB_IMG_1554189475019.jpg

19 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

April fools "jokes."

A local estate agency created this advert* for our local, Grade 2 listed library. 

I thought it was quite amusing to be fair.Screenshot_20230401_143446_Facebook.thumb.jpg.7d133d9646afe4bd387fbec43ed0b988.jpg

The bloke next door to our new unit has been playing country music, quite loud, all weekend. 

I try not to judge peoples music taste, but... Country music? You're from Chesterfield FFS!

I can't take any more listening to a rich american bloke hamming up his hick accent and moaning about how his wife left him.

Anyway if it carries on much longer I'm getting the big speaker out and having a Baptazia Super Sunday!

21 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

My other half had a day in the office (and as a result a 3-hour round trip on public transport) middle of last week.

Just tested positive for COVID.  Oh what deep fucking joy.

Yep...and I've just tested positive too.

Haven't got over the first round I got a year ago yet so really could have done without finding out what getting it a second time will do.

It's just never ending shit at the moment:

Just got back from the second drive to scotland in as many weeks, only to find a PCN waiting for me.  ECP recon I was in one of their car parks for 1h16 mins a couple of weeks back.  In fact, I went in, came out, then went in again and came out, both visits for less than the 30mins free period that is allowed. They've used the first entry time and the second exit time.  Presumably the camera didn't get my plate on the first exit time and has just used the second exit time.

Go to appeal it online, and you have to provide documents to back up your claim, otherwise you can't appeal online, you have to appeal by post.  I was going to a pharmacy inside a Sainsbury's, so of course have no evidence of any sort.

Fucks sakes.  Another thing to go on my ever expanding list of shit to deal with.