The grumpy thread

outlaw118

What the fuck is wrong with the tradesmen in Scotland? Is there a single one who's not a feckless, unreliable cunt?  I'm convinced that all trades are stocked with the lowest common denominators with not even the remotest shred of pride in their work. I've had perhaps 2 positive experiences in 9yrs in Scotland and countless shit ones. 

Trying to get a boiler fixed. Had to call 8 or 9 engineers now. Most don't want the work unless they're fitting a new boiler. I've had 2 who did want the work, 1 turned up hours late, asked to go for a piss and spent almost zero time diagnosing the fucking issue. "Need a new PCB, might not fix it though. The office will call with a quote". The office didn't call though, I had to call them a week later. £320 for the part alone. He took loads of the screws that hold the boiler cover and he broke some of the plastics inside the boiler as well. Sound. 

2nd guy spoke well, replied quickly and turned up on time. Seemed decent until he left and nothing fucking worked. He was supposed to install a Nest thermostat but he fucked that up. He was supposed to turn up at 10am this morning and he's AWOL. 

Turn up when you've said you would? Nah

Answer a call or text? Nah

3min test of your work to make sure you don't need to come back out again? Nah

The first boiler broke down because of a flood caused by shitty, uninsulated pipework. The second boiler was installed by a guy who left 2 gas leaks and tried to blame me, he also never hooked up the thermostat. 

I'd gladly pay @paulplom through the nose just to come up and sort this out but he's left the sodding site. 

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say Glasgow is a dirty shithole and should be nuked from orbit. Massively downhill since 2014 and has lost almost all of its scrappy, underdog charm. It used to be rough, dirty, vibrant and cheap. Now it's rough, dirty, cramped and expensive. The amount of litter, dog shit and cave dwellers is absolutely world-beating. 

45 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

What the fuck is wrong with the tradesmen in Scotland? Is there a single one who's not a feckless, unreliable cunt?  I'm convinced that all trades are stocked with the lowest common denominators with not even the remotest shred of pride in their work. I've had perhaps 2 positive experiences in 9yrs in Scotland and countless shit ones. 

Trying to get a boiler fixed. Had to call 8 or 9 engineers now. Most don't want the work unless they're fitting a new boiler. I've had 2 who did want the work, 1 turned up hours late, asked to go for a piss and spent almost zero time diagnosing the fucking issue. "Need a new PCB, might not fix it though. The office will call with a quote". The office didn't call though, I had to call them a week later. £320 for the part alone. He took loads of the screws that hold the boiler cover and he broke some of the plastics inside the boiler as well. Sound. 

2nd guy spoke well, replied quickly and turned up on time. Seemed decent until he left and nothing fucking worked. He was supposed to install a Nest thermostat but he fucked that up. He was supposed to turn up at 10am this morning and he's AWOL. 

The first boiler broke down because of a flood caused by shitty, uninsulated pipework. The second boiler was installed by a guy who left 2 gas leaks and tried to blame me, he also never hooked up the thermostat. 

I'd gladly pay @paulplom through the nose just to come up and sort this out but he's left the sodding site. 

He's on TDW and still merrily* plumbing away.

I think that you might be able to post on there without jumping through loads of log on hoops.

If not someone will do it for you. 

1 hour ago, sdkrc said:

It’s not just Scotland, it’s the whole of the U.K. Trying to get a tradesman through the door is a mission in itself and even then they’ll probably fuck up whatever they’re meant to be doing.  We had a bathroom install and I had to finish the job off properly after they left. It took 3x longer than planned and still leaked. They were literally the only guys we could get in to do the job though.

In other grumpy news… The eldest daughter needs a couple of teeth removed and braces fitting. The NHS waiting list is 3.5 years OR we could get the treatment within a few weeks by going private for 3k. Same treatment at the same dentist. Shocking. We’ve got to make the decision wether to wait, by which time the situation will be more involved or somehow get 3k from somewhere which we haven’t got. 

I clapped the NHS in gold faith too! 

1 hour ago, sdkrc said:

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say Glasgow is a dirty shithole and should be nuked from orbit. Massively downhill since 2014 and has lost almost all of its scrappy, underdog charm. It used to be rough, dirty, vibrant and cheap. Now it's rough, dirty, cramped and expensive. The amount of litter, dog shit and cave dwellers is absolutely world-beating. 

We are an embarrassment. I've just spent 3 weeks in Sydney - not a single dog egg on any street anywhere. I walked for miles in the 3 weeks there. Not immaculate by any means but hardly any litter scattered about the place either. 

Fuck, even the public/ shopping centre bogs were all pretty clean instead of literal shite thrown up walls and pish on every surface like this shit hole. 

I was back one day in Glasgow and I've already stepped on a turd right outside my brother in laws driveway in Craigton. Brilliant. 

I can't help you with local trades I'm afraid as my decent (although still absolutely hopeless at timekeeping) plumber has retired.  I've got some contacts for leccy and plastering, but they aren't without fault either (again timekeeping mostly). 

Half the problem I think is that most are all swimming in work, so it doesn't matter to them if they treat customers like shit. 

one of the main reasons I have never updated the boiler , it works and is left alone , along the lines of if it aint broke .....

same with the hot water heater , its done well as well , its had a few lookings at , new gas tap ,bellows  and I have a spare heat exchanger hiding in the greenhouse .

considering my  heating system was condemed by a expert who never looked at it and said it needed replacing when all it needed was a pipe moving and a flush !!  , its has operated for years .

my tooth when it split , couple of hundred quid to go private , sorted in a few weeks  , with offers of cosmetic work , but a fall out of the ugly tree sorted that response out

as for bogs and such , we are a shit hole , just walking around liverpool,  its now 30p for a dump , cards accepted of course !

and parking , thats £5 ( todays trip ) , naw mate , playing the blue get out free pass ...  nice to get somat free for my rates !

14 minutes ago, MikeR said:

one of the main reasons I have never updated the boiler , it works and is left alone , along the lines of if it aint broke .....

same with the hot water heater , its done well as well , its had a few lookings at , new gas tap ,bellows  and I have a spare heat exchanger hiding in the greenhouse .

considering my  heating system was condemed by a expert who never looked at it and said it needed replacing when all it needed was a pipe moving and a flush !!  , its has operated for years .

my tooth when it split , couple of hundred quid to go private , sorted in a few weeks  , with offers of cosmetic work , but a fall out of the ugly tree sorted that response out

as for bogs and such , we are a shit hole , just walking around liverpool,  its now 30p for a dump , cards accepted of course !

and parking , thats £5 ( todays trip ) , naw mate , playing the blue get out free pass ...  nice to get somat free for my rates !

At 30p a shit what are the dogs meant to do, no wallets for coins and they're not allowed cards? No wonder they all shit on the pavement 

2 hours ago, sdkrc said:

I've a message from Paul but you don't seem to be able to receive messages on here.

2 minutes ago, chadders said:

I've a message from Paul but you don't seem to be able to receive messages on here.

Thanks @chadders, genuinely appreciated. Someone else has pinged me Paul's number. Going to try one last time to get someone local through some contacts, when that inevitably doesn't pan out I'll give Paul a buzz. 

Once again, multicar insurance a total no-go for me. I don't get it. What planet are people living on where they can add cars for a couple of hundred quid extra?, i'm at 1100 per car i want to add regardless of what it is.... (so 2 cars would start at nearly 1800, adding a third nearly 3 grand, 4 over 4 etc)

What do they think i'm going to do with them?, Divide myself into 4, drive them all at once and have a pile up with myself on the motorway?.

19 hours ago, maxxo said:

i've basically just lost interest in cars

since selling the XM, i just don't feel excited anymore about cars

i don't look online at cars for sale, don't go to car meets or really care about cars

i don't think of cars i'd like to own, as i know for daily drivers i'll just keep buying C5s, they're the only cars that have managed to completely satisfy me

i just can't be arsed with faff, with cars, with car communities, with anything really

just cars in general, they're a bit crap aren't they?

I can sympathise. I’ve gone right off driving because of traffic and idiot drivers. But looking forward to easter when I can swap cars around and use my x1/9 again.

Just had a weird call on the landline - a mobile number. Said I’d called them at 2 and they’d missed the call. No said I, I’ve been at work from 6 till 6 and I don’t use the landline for calls anyway.

very odd, presumably she’d misread the number, was localish in windlesham she said. Or perhaps a call centre spoofing any local numbers?

On 20/03/2023 at 14:26, adw1977 said:

Had a minor bump in my modern a few days ago.  Reported it esure online.

The only contact I had in the first 24 hours was a text message saying "As the Coronavirus situation continues to develop we've started to experience some disruption which is impacting on the service we can provide in our contact centres and it may take us longer than usual to respond to you." As if it's still 2020!

And twice now they have texted me inviting me to call their solicitors to make a claim for injury when I don't have any.

As for when they might arrange to get my car fixed, sod all, naturally. 

Well they eventually stopped texting me every day about non-existent injuries but I today found out, only by chasing it myself, that the earliest I can get the car repaired through Esure's approved repairer is in four weeks time, which will be six weeks after the accident.  According to Esure that's totally normal. 

Oh, and because I didn't pay extra for legal cover I have to somehow chase the at fault party to recover my excess of £150.  Marvellous.

22 hours ago, Talbot said:

they will almost certainly cover your costs and offer at least a partial refund.

I've had a £350 refund off them for fucking up a mobile fitting appointment before.

Asked for four Pilot Sports fitted to a Civic Type R at a cost of about £650 and the guy got two done in three hours and on one SIDE of the car, leaving it unusable.
He couldn't get the other two tyres on, turns out the mobile fitting van isn't suitable for 19"s but this isn't stated anywhere. He said kwikfit would call me back but they left me in the dark for a few days and phoning customer services was a shitshow.
Had to rearrange for a few days later, when the second mobile guy came, early and unannounced before I'd even got home from work (supposed to get a text ahead),  he admitted openly that the first guy was incompetent and that it shouldn't have been accepted as a mobile job.

Emailed customer services about the whole thing and asked for a 50% refund, got a phone call from a guy very high up that said he completely agreed, and authorised it.

I say definitely kick up a fuss.

Currently having a similar experience with Google - bought a Pixel 6 directly from them last year.  USB port recently stopped providing a reliable connection, so enquired about warranty three weeks ago. They said send it to us, we'll fix it on warranty. I said I couldn't as I didn't have a backup phone. They said no problem, we'll send you a replacement and when it arrives, send us yours back.
Did this and the refurbished replacement had a faulty microphone. Tell them this and ask for a brand new replacement, they first insist on me factory resetting the phone to verify the BLATANT HARDWARE ISSUE THAT I'VE CLEARLY DESCRIBED isn't a software issue, then say yes but you have to send it us first this time, and we'll send your new phone out when this one is marked as delivered.
I begrudgingly agree - I've had to buy a spare phone to cover myself.
The faulty phone gets to their return centre in Warsaw (!) in under 24 hours and they fail to acknowledge the delivery on the tracking, so I ask them about it after a day, and they tell me to allow 2-3 business days to inspect  the phone and send a new one out.
Three business days pass and nothing, so I enquire and a new support agent replies, supposedly top of the tree. She says it's still in the warehouse.

I tell them that's not good enough and as they're keeping me waiting and leaving me out of pocket, I ask for compensation, either an upgrade in phone to account for inconvenience or new phone plus 50% refund.

Another business day before the reply, sorry we still don't know where your phone is, we can't offer an upgrade only like for like, and we'll look into compensation options. Tomorrow is the fifth working day, still no news, they have my money and my phone.

Fucking pisstake, I'm making sure I'm compenstated generously for this.

18 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Thanks @chadders, genuinely appreciated. Someone else has pinged me Paul's number. Going to try one last time to get someone local through some contacts, when that inevitably doesn't pan out I'll give Paul a buzz. 

Here's another message from him:

"Tell him to ring the manufacturer direct. Most do a fixed price repair for around £300 and they'll have the parts on the van."

I know, I shouldn't moan about the council fixing* potholes but every day it seems that one or the other roads around here is closed for repairs as they rush to spend all their budget before the end of the financial year. Added to which the delays and temporary lights to facilitate (another) network of fibre cables means any journey is guaranteed to take extra time.

13 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I know, I shouldn't moan about the council fixing* potholes but every day it seems that one or the other roads around here is closed for repairs as they rush to spend all their budget before the end of the financial year. Added to which the delays and temporary lights to facilitate (another) network of fibre cables means any journey is guaranteed to take extra time.

We've just suffered through a period where EVERY MAJOR ROAD into Cannock had at least one set of lights-controlled roadworks.  

Surprisingly*, it would seem that Highways England, the county council, the district council and the fibre installer do not communicate with each other, whether deliberately or by incompetence I know not.  The resulting UTTER FECKIN CHAOS was predictable to everyone, except them.

Honda Civic Type R (EP3) parked up over winter with battery disconnected. Connected battery and it turned over but too slow to start. Charged battery and got the same. Tried the same with new battery. No difference.

Might just break it for parts tbh. Life is too short to fuck about with this stuff

10 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Alternator bearings, maybe?

Had the same with MrsDC's Yaris back in December, after a few months of disuse... is it possible to slip the aux drive belt off and see if it turns over any quicker?

I'll have a look, but I don't think so. I'm not sure if it's mechanical or electrical resistance. Jump leads from a running car didn't make it turn over any faster either

11 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Jump leads from a running car didn't make it turn over any faster either

Nope, same on the Yaris - though eventually I got it to start on the jumps, and then the screaming drive belt told me something other than the battery was awry.

Best of luck - always a massive annoyance when something goes wrong like this, but if you can get it running you might be able to get more than just a scrap price if you still want shot of it?

Just now, Datsuncog said:

Nope, same on the Yaris - though eventually I got it to start on the jumps, and then the screaming drive belt told me something other than the battery was awry.

Best of luck - always a massive annoyance when something goes wrong like this, but if you can get it running you might be able to get more than just a scrap price if you still want shot of it?

The reason I don't think it's alternator is that the belt and all pulleys are turning freely, it seems. I don't think the resistance is there. But I will give it a go because I'd be stupid not to

11 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Fair play, DC. You might just be a genius. It appears to be a seized alternator 

2 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Heh, I think we'll call that a lucky guess!

But yeah - I managed to get a new OEM Denso alternator off eBay and (eventually) got it fitted, and the wee thing's been grand ever since.

I whipped the belt off and it started immediately, as with you. I can also see a flaw in one of the modifications that allows water to drip onto the alternator pulley