The grumpy thread

outlaw118

38 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Last week my compact digital camera died.  Why is it so difficult to get a halfway decent replacement?   (ETA bloody thing is less than a year old, after my previous one also died!)

Worse though: last night, during Day 3 of desperately deleting old emails in order to retrieve some storage space to accept new ones, my lovely new(ish) laptop flashed up a dialogue box a fraction of a second before going to black screen.  I haven't been able to get past the black screen since, so this morning I took it in to my local trusted repair shop.  The engineer's on holiday and won't even be looking at it until Monday. 

Fucking marvellous.

I'm typing this on my 2009 desktop machine that I haven't used in about two years.  On this I can't even get at my emails, never mind open up space.

It's true, you know: "The Machines" are conspiring, and will get us in the end.  Cuddle up, it's closer than you think!

might be worth looking at CEX for a camera , got mine from there and with a 2 year warranty  .. 

I have just done the dirty deed of updating the house PC ( win 7 )  with a newer box that runs win10 , it runs great .....

everything is supported now for a bit longer 

but its different ....  init   , where is this button , that button , cant find word , is it logged in to the email ...

tech support is a thankless task ..

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Worse though: last night, during Day 3 of desperately deleting old emails in order to retrieve some storage space to accept new ones, my lovely new(ish) laptop flashed up a dialogue box a fraction of a second before going to black screen.  I haven't been able to get past the black screen since, so this morning I took it in to my local trusted repair shop.  The engineer's on holiday and won't even be looking at it until Monday. 

I only use webmail, no local storage issues.

The Mrs's block of flats is getting a new air source powered heating system. Yay! Heat when you want it instead of crappy storage heaters.

Except, to get the new system you have to let the council in the flat. N the Mrs has OCD, hoarder tendencies & extreme anxiety about letting people in the flat. Oh, n she's INSANE about recycling.

It's got to the point where it's her turn, and the spare room is still the spare room of DOOM. Went to try and help her out, and her initial idea is we'll just neatly* stack these random boxes n bags of crap, and it will somehow increase the space by 98%. Convinced her moving crap about doesn't reduce it's volume and you need to look in the boxes.

It's hours of fun. OCD tells her the slightest bit of dust is deadly so she needs lots of PPE and hand washing every 10 seconds. Hoarding means lots of empty boxes for products she no longer owns, but she's kept the box 'cos it has the manual in it. Extreme recycling means you must ponder how to break everything down into it's component parts. Or preferably "we could give it to the charity shop and they can sell it".

We could take these VHS tapes to charity?
Nobody wants a VHS copy of eastenders taped off the telly.
Can we dismantle and recycle the components?
No!!!!!!!!!! 
~Half baked schemes about who we could give them to~
I go and feed them down the rubbish chute. Lot's of moralising about what we should have done.

Being a woman there is a lot of shoes. Many are completely knackered, hideous or she can only find the left foot. She has this idea from somewhere that you can donate any shoe to charity and in the unlikely event a one legged woman doesn't want it, the charity will sell it to a recycler* who will break it down into a bit of leather, a worn out rubber sole etc and recycle these tiny scraps into, well something. Trying to get round this one by saying the dump site has a shoe bank, and you stay in the car while I recycle them by accidentally throwing in the general landfill skip.

There is also a ton of shit her son left behind 19 years ago. Given he doesn't acknowledge you exist, isn't it time you stopped storing his GCSE geography exercise books? He's not coming back for them any time soon.

Still, be nice to have heat in 2035.

13 minutes ago, Pieman said:

With all the shit you seem to put up with, my advice to you would be to move abroad and get a new identity.

On the bright side cunts next door have fucked off this week. I'm assuming they've discovered Easter break pricing is more, and not having an education never did him any harm, so why not take kids out of school n have more drinking money?

Our 2010 grand scenic drivers window just made a crunch noise on its way down and went wonky. Quick investigation shows that I need a new window as the tab has broken and a new regulator as it has twisted previously and been badly straightened.
First breakers I phone say they can post both to me for £140 just waiting on the rest to get back to me.
The lack of local breakers in the south east here is really annoying.
d90ccdf7fa7c422e84dd9a4b2d1ffc77.jpg

Previous employer failed to update my tax code for me so I've significantly underpaid income tax for 2.5yrs.

HMRC decided to collect it all within 3 months but without informing me, so I've paid £8.5k in tax since January and it's fairly crippling especially since I was applying for a mortgage. 

Called HMRC up in February to see what the craic was and looks like most of the info the rep gave me was bollocks. 

Previous employer failed to update my tax code for me so I've significantly underpaid income tax for 2.5yrs.
HMRC decided to collect it all within 3 months but without informing me, so I've paid £8.5k in tax since January and it's fairly crippling especially since I was applying for a mortgage. 
Called HMRC up in February to see what the craic was and looks like most of the info the rep gave me was bollocks. 

Sadly that's all too common. I had a spell last year when my personal allowance was -£17,500 and nobody at HMRC could really explain why. I'm sure* I'll get the money back one day.

12 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Sadly that's all too common. I had a spell last year when my personal allowance was -£17,500 and nobody at HMRC could really explain why. I'm sure* I'll get the money back one day.

Screenshot_2023-03-30-16-08-37-14_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.thumb.jpg.5d16707ffcd6135fe85789e187f45547.jpg

Snap.

HMRC lack a lot of transparency. I'd be less bothered with this if they'd just contacted me first. Hard to budget when they're swiping random amounts and they can't explain why on the phone

2 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Screenshot_2023-03-30-16-08-37-14_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.thumb.jpg.5d16707ffcd6135fe85789e187f45547.jpg

Snap.

HMRC lack a lot of transparency. I'd be less bothered with this if they'd just contacted me first. Hard to budget when they're swiping random amounts and they can't explain why on the phone

They pumped me for 4 grand last year but at least gave me the option to pay it or add it to my tax code. I thought if it goes on my tax code that's something I'll be trying to deal with in 17 years time so just paid them. 

They pumped me for 4 grand last year but at least gave me the option to pay it or add it to my tax code. I thought if it goes on my tax code that's something I'll be trying to deal with in 17 years time so just paid them. 
Sadly I was never given the option so mine has now settled down to a far more reasonable -£9,450

I know I shouldn't have any personal allowance, but the -£9k is still a mystery.

17 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I have just received a load of camera equipment, I'm sure there's a couple of bnib compacts in there , I'll have a look when its daylight 👍

That will be most kind of you, much appreciated!

I had a look in our local CEX today but they only have SLRs.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, Mrcento said:

Once again, multicar insurance a total no-go for me. I don't get it. What planet are people living on where they can add cars for a couple of hundred quid extra?, i'm at 1100 per car i want to add regardless of what it is.... (so 2 cars would start at nearly 1800, adding a third nearly 3 grand, 4 over 4 etc)

What do they think i'm going to do with them?, Divide myself into 4, drive them all at once and have a pile up with myself on the motorway?.

This is exactly why I have a Streetka on SORN.  I'm quoted over 2K for 2 cars with full NCB.  Ka will have to go shortly I need the space.

1 minute ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I thought it always rained in the UK?

I doubt I'll get to experience this any time soon.

That's the irony. It's hideous out there currently. We've had a load of rainfall over the last month, especially.

There are potential fines if anyone's caught using a hosepipe although the fella who lives a few doors up (who's in the police force) uses his to wash his car at least once a week. Obviously the rules don't* apply to him. 

Here's the reason why the hosepipe ban is still in place. I don't think it'll change any time soon 😕

Screenshot_20230331_091005_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230331_091023_Chrome.jpg

39 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That's the irony. It's hideous out there currently. We've had a load of rainfall over the last month, especially.

There are potential fines if anyone's caught using a hosepipe although the fella who lives a few doors up (who's in the police force) uses his to wash his car at least once a week. Obviously the rules don't* apply to him. 

Here's the reason why the hosepipe ban is still in place. I don't think it'll change any time soon 😕

We get 1500 times the amount of rainfall we need in the U.K.  I know it’s not practical to collect it all but that’s an incredible amount, so just shows how incompetent the water companies are. 
(For incompetent , read greedy. Just interested in profits rather than improving things.)

9 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

We get 1500 times the amount of rainfall we need in the U.K.  I know it’s not practical to collect it all but that’s an incredible amount, so just shows how incompetent the water companies are. 
(For incompetent , read greedy. Just interested in profits rather than improving things.)

It's a complete shambles, isn't it? I follow Feargal Sharkey on Twitter where he continues to highlight the almost daily sewage releases by the water companies. Ultimately, they're successful businesses which make excellent profits and pay their shareholders handsomely to the detriment of the environment. They're playing the system, end of. 

Bit like the council's , hundreds of new houses built and paying rates ... And the rates still go up the max amount ??? ,As well as councillors expenses and wages ..

And the gas , it's the end of winter , I have used less gas than estimated and I am 400 notes in credit , how did they work that one out! , Can't wait to see the leccy bill ! 

4 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I ignore that's shitmongering , we must be mugs paying full price  for a service that gets restricted every summer ....